are iPad Minis obsolete?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gd

are iPad Minis obsolete?

Post by gd » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:18 am

I use an app that runs on only iOS, so Apple product only. My iPad 3s are obsolete-- can't update the iOS, and almost unusably slow. The iPad is slightly too large for my use. Even the largest phones are too small and not an option. The Mini is a good size, but the newest version (4) is now several years old, and the product line is dead. I don't want another expensive, perfectly functioning Apple product that is almost useless in a year or two. Any experience or opinions on the useful lifespan of the Mini 4?

Silk McCue

Re: are iPad Minis obsolete?

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:30 am

I think it's less than 50/50 that a new Mini will be released. I switched last year from a full size iPad to a mini and like the form factor. If they don't release an update the Mini 4 will become obsolete for updates within a couple of years I would guess.

Cheers

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 am

Hard to know exactly what Apple is thinking but my guess is that since the iPhone Xs Max 6.5" screen size is creeping closer to the size of a 7.9" iPad Mini Apple is debating whether to put more investment into the iPad mini.

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:40 am

I love the iPad mini for travel, but recent speculation has clearly indicated Apple isn't dedicating any resources to updating the device. That's unfortunate, but it looks like the mini is being squeezed out of the market due to lack of demand. I was thinking about updating mine until I began to see articles like this one:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/03/ ... uture.aspx
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:44 am

It's a great size. I'm surprised it doesn't sell better. I wouldn't buy one at this point unless they update it. Unless you can find a really cheap one, it's not worth it.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:18 am

I would say NO, but it depends on your definition of obsolete. Apple is still selling it and still pushing IOS updates for it.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:53 am

I went through the same thought process last fall and ended up buying an iPad Mini 4. I already have an iPhone 8+ and a regular size iPad, but the iPad Mini is perfect for reading ebooks or for doing 21x21 size crossword puzzles. I'm more likely to use it to surf the internet while in bed, both right before I go to sleep and before I get out of bed in the morning.

But... the price differential between a 128GB, wi-fi iPad Mini and a comparable iPad is only $30 from the Apple store ($399 vs. $429). Keep that in mind. You can compare all the differences between all the iPad models at this Apple website.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 am

gd wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:18 am
I use an app that runs on only iOS, so Apple product only. My iPad 3s are obsolete-- can't update the iOS, and almost unusably slow. The iPad is slightly too large for my use. Even the largest phones are too small and not an option. The Mini is a good size, but the newest version (4) is now several years old, and the product line is dead. I don't want another expensive, perfectly functioning Apple product that is almost useless in a year or two. Any experience or opinions on the useful lifespan of the Mini 4?
the mini is obsolete yes.
just get an new ipad and move on.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 am

stan1 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 am
Hard to know exactly what Apple is thinking but my guess is that since the iPhone Xs Max 6.5" screen size is creeping closer to the size of a 7.9" iPad Mini Apple is debating whether to put more investment into the iPad mini.
As someone who has an iPhone X, take that screen size with a grain of salt. The 5.8 of the X is smaller than the 5.5 inch 8+ because the screen is longer not wider. The aspect ratio of the phones is 18 or 19 by 9 rather than 4 by 3 on the tablets. Also, it looks like Apple is pushing for higher margins based on the last few rounds of phone prices. Between the low prices and small market for the mini, I wouldn't plan on an update.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:24 am

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 am
gd wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:18 am
the mini is obsolete yes.
just get an new ipad and move on.
LOL, you are correct just move on. I gave away two older (larger) iPads years ago and they are still working the people I gave them too.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:56 am

I liked my iPad, but when I needed a new phone I decided to take the advice of a guy who said that if I bought the iPhone 7+ it would be a satisfactory replacement for the iPad. He was right.

Not only did I use the iPhone 7+ to chronicle my recent cross country walk (photos, blog, text), but I just finished reading the massive Count of Monte Cristo on the phone.

Being able to put the phone in my pocket and have it with me anywhere I go, plus the versatility of everything it can do (it provides music and podcasts in my car), I'd never go back to the iPad again.

For a desktop computer, I just use an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse with my MacBook, which is also very portable.

YMMV
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 am

I wouldn't buy the iPad Mini 4 now. They are anticipating updates soon (last update was 545 days ago).

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad_Mini

I would not say that they are obsolete… you can typically get 5 years of useful life from each newly released iPad before which the hardware will no longer be supported by the software or app developers. The long useful lifespan is part of what threw Apple off of its annual update rhythm that it has going on with iPhones. People keep their tablets for much longer than they do with iPhones, there's a lot less pressure to update and upgrade.

If you are to get an iPad Mini 4 however, I would go the refurbished route:

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/ ... pad_mini_4

The 15% discount on the 128 GB model is pretty decent. My last two iPads were refurbs. Aside from the box they came in, you couldn't tell they were refurbished.

Jill07

Post by Jill07 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 am

I love my Ipad mini! Bestbuy had the ipad mini 4 128 GB for $299 in June (normally $399). It is perfect for travel & fits nicely in a small handbag. I took all my pictures with it. Great for reading too.

I do not have a plus size iphone. If you have a smaller iphone, you might like the ipad mini too.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm

I have a Mini that I got last year as an anniversary gift from Megacorp:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=219577

Almost all of my use is as an e-reader, and it's a good size for that. I have a few games I can play and will use it for web access when needed. I prefer the desktop for that most of the time.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd spend $250 on one just to use for that.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

tman9940

Post by tman9940 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a mini (not sure of what Gen, but have had it for 6 years. And I LOVE it! It is the perfect size. Have not had any issues with it.. Can Fit in my pocket if I need to take it out with me.. I really enjoy it! Will buy another when this thing dies.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 pm

My wife loves her mini and will be out of sorts if they are discontinued.

That said, there are other very inexpensive android options for tablets in that size range so if you are just looking for something to read books, do web surfing and media consumption and don't really need or care about all the appple-specific options like imessaging and photo sharing you do have other options.

For example, you can get an Amazon Fire 7 for the ridiculous price of $34 https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-F ... 01GEW27DA/

and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 for $127: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-T ... 01AZ8ERHI/

Hard to justify paying apple prices for the 7" mini when there are such ridiculously cheap options that will do most of what the mini does for must users.

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:18 pm

I really enjoy the mini. Skeptical at first, but received as a gift and it is my default for international travel and often for air travel of any kind. Great for books, magazines, doing work of any kind. I bring external keyboard if I anticipate lots of work.

It is also great for shooting videos and photos for family events.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:23 pm

I like the mini. Good size but the processor is outdated. I keep waiting for them to release a new one so that I can upgrade but I don't think this will happen.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:08 pm

stan1 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 am
Yes, it's obsolete. It's in no mans land. Just get an iPhone XS if size and weight is an issue or an iPad if not. Get an older iPad Air or Air 2 if on a budget.

The 9.7 screen is just a little too small, but acceptable, hence the 10.5 pro. When the mini first came out, the iPad 1/2/3/4 was a lot bigger and weighed a lot more, so worth the compromise. Not anymore. If you're going to compromise, you might as well try to put it in your pocket.

iPhone XS Max - 157.5 x 77.4 x 7.7 mm (6.20 x 3.05 x 0.30 in) and 208g (7.34 oz)

iPad - 240 x 169.5 x 7.5 mm (9.45 x 6.67 x 0.30 in), 469 g (Wi-Fi)

Mini 298.8 g (0.659 lb), 8.00 x 5.31 x 0.24 inch (203.2 x 134.8 x 6.1 mm)

If apple is going to invest in a new form factor I would hope it's a slightly smaller iPad with 10.5 display (I'll accept the notch, but giving up touch ID is going to be rough for me).

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I bought my iPad mini a few years ago and use it daily. I had planned to get an iPad, but didn't like the size or weight. I picked up the mini and loved it. I also bought the keypad for it and am still surprised how easy it was to adapt to the tiny keys. I'll be very disappointed if it's discontinued.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Fallible wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm
I bought my iPad mini a few years ago and use it daily. I had planned to get an iPad, but didn't like the size or weight. I picked up the mini and loved it. I also bought the keypad for it and am still surprised how easy it was to adapt to the tiny keys. I'll be very disappointed if it's discontinued.
Me, too. Love my mini.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:12 pm

I can fit the Mini in the front pocket of my jeans, but I can't sit down with it in there. Of course, a large phone might have the same problem, especially if you use a case (I don't with the Mini). I don't take it everywhere, just when I plan to have time to kill. I sometime bring it to family gathering. My little great-nephew thinks it's fantastic, much better for watching videos than "mom's phone".
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 pm

If you go outside of Apple, you will find no shortage of iPad Mini-sized tablets. The build quality of some of them is excellent. You will get more while paying less. You will not have to suffer the angst of wondering if and when a new model is being released and waiting two years, or sometimes forever. You will never again have to decide between getting a 2-year out-of-date model or waiting for some indefinite period of time.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 am

I found the mini 4 to be frustratingly slow. I sold ours and bought an iPad 2017 and iPad 2018. Those both run very well.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 am

I’d be interested to hear others’ experiences with iOS 12 on older devices. My iPhone SE is noticeably faster after the update, and the mini 4 can be updated. Apple has advertised this update as significantly focused on speed improvements (for older devices), so I’d be interested to hear if anyone with a mini 4 has an anecdote to share - might help the OP.

IMO the mini lineup won’t be refreshed, as another poster pointed out the new massive iPhone is really a capable replacement. But iPads are notorious for sticking around way past normal life cycles, and if I were you OP I would strongly consider the refurb route to save 15%. You could prolly get 3 more years out of it at least, especially since it’s got 2 GB of RAM while other minis only have 1. That makes a huge difference.

(We’re getting an iPad Pro 10.5 delivered today, so I’m super stoked. We are iPad fans for sure. :D )

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 am
I found the mini 4 to be frustratingly slow. I sold ours and bought an iPad 2017 and iPad 2018. Those both run very well.
That is odd I have had various iPads over the years and currently have a Mini 4. It’s performance is not noticeably different than any of the others. Not trying to defend my purchase, but it has never been slow. What specifically was slow about yours.

Cheers

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:29 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 am
I’d be interested to hear others’ experiences with iOS 12 on older devices. My iPhone SE is noticeably faster after the update, and the mini 4 can be updated. Apple has advertised this update as significantly focused on speed improvements (for older devices), so I’d be interested to hear if anyone with a mini 4 has an anecdote to share - might help the OP.
On iOS 12, iPad mini 2 takes 7% to 26% less time depending on the task.

iPhone 5s and six plus improved a bit more than the iPad mini 2 did. The iPhone 6 plus and the iPad mini 4 have the same processor.

That's from iOS11 to 12 and 11 looked slow judging by the iPhone5s benchmarks which go back to iOS10.

Six years of testing new iOS versions and the reviewer says this is the first time they've seen a performance improvement.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09 ... ly-faster/

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 am

typical.investor wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:29 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 am
On iOS 12, iPad mini 2 takes 7% to 26% less time depending on the task.

iPhone 5s and six plus improved a bit more than the iPad mini 2 did. The iPhone 6 plus and the iPad mini 4 have the same processor.

That's from iOS11 to 12 and 11 looked slow judging by the iPhone5s benchmarks which go back to iOS10.

Six years of testing new iOS versions and the reviewer says this is the first time they've seen a performance improvement.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09 ... ly-faster/
Neat article, thank you! It seems to corroborate my experience with my SE. I'm quite pleased with iOS 12. :beer

I still think any device with only 1GB RAM is probably not going to fair well going forward. That being said, it could be worth a shot for the OP to get a refurb mini 4, update it to iOS 12 and use it for 13 days since Apple has a 14 day return policy.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 am
kjvmartin wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 am
That is odd I have had various iPads over the years and currently have a Mini 4. It’s performance is not noticeably different than any of the others. Not trying to defend my purchase, but it has never been slow. What specifically was slow about yours.

Cheers
Literally everything about it was too slow for me. It lost the "snappiness" that I like in my devices. Do you have an iPad from 2017 or 2018 to compare it to?