Generator Natural Gas Line/Hookup

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
groverson

Generator Natural Gas Line/Hookup

Post by groverson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:51 am

So I’m interested in getting a generator powered by natural gas.
Either a portable or a stanby generator. I have this natural gas pipe/line that come out of the brick facade by our back deck. I believe the first owner used this for their barbecue.

Anyone know if this size line is enough to power a portable or standby gen?

Teague

Re: Generator Natural Gas Line/Hookup

Post by Teague » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:04 pm

groverson wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:51 am
So I’m interested in getting a generator powered by natural gas.
Either a portable or a stanby generator. I have this natural gas pipe/line that come out of the brick facade by our back deck. I believe the first owner used this for their barbecue.

Anyone know if this size line is enough to power a portable or standby gen?
It will depend on the requirements of the particular generator, and the length and diameter of the pipe(s) that were run to the grill. You can get the first from the generator manufacturer. But as far as the plumbing, unless the pipes are exposed, that could be tough to figure out. Of course, you could just hook up your generator, and if it doesn't work, re-plumb the gas lines. But that's not a great solution, and you could be stuck with a generator you really wouldn't have chosen otherwise. Good luck.
Semper Augustus

mouth

Post by mouth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm

How often does power go out and also knock out gas flow? Can the generator run on propane as well so maybe a tank for backup if you lose natural gas flow? or just go with diesel if you are really wanting a backup?

Point

Post by Point » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Sometimes these existing lines are galvanized and they will have material chipping off the insides of the pipes and clogging your device. It’s best to run a new line of the diameter necessary right to the unit using the existing codes.

LMBFlorida

Post by LMBFlorida » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 pm

It depends on the size generator you are thinking of installing. We are in the process of having a whole house standby generator installed. we are looking at a 22Kw model with load shedding panel for the AC units. This unit uses LPG at 2.1 gal/hour at 50% load and 3.8 gal/hour at full load. For NG it uses 184 cu ft/hr at 50% and 281 cu ft/hr at full load. As mentioned you will need to know the size of your line to understand if it is large enough for the flow you will need. Most NG lines stay in service during a power outage.

TLB

Post by TLB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Most of the the time your rear BBQ stub out are 1/2” I would research the generator you want to install and they will normally have a chart for sizing gas. I installed a Generac 22kw for our mountain home, I ran a separate 1 1/4” line from the gas meter to the unit.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:30 pm

mouth wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm
How often does power go out and also knock out gas flow? Can the generator run on propane as well so maybe a tank for backup if you lose natural gas flow? or just go with diesel if you are really wanting a backup?
Probably depends on where you live. On the East Coast where it is mostly weather events you need to deal with I have never seen my gas go out over many decades. West Coast and its earthquakes are probably a whole other ball of wax.

To OP sizing is going to really depend on your generator. My parents installed a very large whole house generator and had to have a new larger service line put in from the street, new meter, etc. Of course their generator is 25kw which is pretty large.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Decide how much generator you want. Once you know that you can have an idea of what requirements that generator will have. If you are not handy enough to figure it out with that information you could then consult a knowledgeable plumber. A plumber can come out and look at your needed specifications and what you have and determine if you need work done or not.

The comment about galvanized pipe should be a non-issue on any properly designed system, there should be a "drop leg" that acts as a debris trap (which does not need servicing).
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.