Rain Jacket recommendations and care

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Rain Jacket recommendations and care

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 pm

I've had the North Face Venture jacket (https://www.rei.com/product/112408/the- ... acket-mens) for years but the waterproof protection has worn down and it's time to get a new one. I'd like something that is light weigh, breathable and can be easily stuffed into a hydration pack. I'll probably just get the same one as I'm looking to spend around $100 but could spend more if something really stands out.

Any recommendations?

Also, what sort of care do you do for your rain jacket (if any)? Do you wash them with the special rain protection detergent?

Dottie57

Re: Rain Jacket recommendations and care

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:01 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 pm
I've had the North Face Venture jacket (https://www.rei.com/product/112408/the- ... acket-mens) for years but the waterproof protection has worn down and it's time to get a new one. I'd like something that is light weigh, breathable and can be easily stuffed into a hydration pack. I'll probably just get the same one as I'm looking to spend around $100 but could spend more if something really stands out.

Any recommendations?

Also, what sort of care do you do for your rain jacket (if any)? Do you wash them with the special rain protection detergent?
Ihope ladies will chime in, I too am looking for a rain jacket.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:03 pm

The DWR (durable water repellent) layer can be revived by putting the jacket in a dryer. Try this after washing your jacket with nikwax tech wash. This is better than washing with harsher detergents which could accelerate loss of DWR. If water does not bead off your jacket after a run in the dryer, you can try to apply nikwax TX.direct spray on.

REI page for Nikwax TX.Direct spray on: https://www.rei.com/product/724688/nikw ... -169-fl-oz

REI page on DWR coating: application cleaning and care: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... r-dwr.html

REI page on cleaning and caring for Goretex: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... rwear.html
Wiki

jjface

Post by jjface » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 pm

I like my marmot precip. Very similar to the northface one you have and both are rated highly anyway. There are better ones of course but they cost more and I think both of these two have the best price to feature ratio. My wife has that same northface one and likes it.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:23 pm

For me, this was a place where spending a few bucks paid off. I bought a GoreTex rain jacket in 1982 from REI. Paid the astronomical (then) sum of $150. Now 35 years later it looks like new, works very well, packs light, and surprisingly, still fits me!

Lucien786

Post by Lucien786 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Coincidentally, I just bought that NF Venture jacket last week. It seems great.

I've been looking at whether it's ideal. The Marmot Precip is also highly reviewed, though I doubt you could go wrong with either of these.

If you wanted an upgrade . . . REI has one called the DryPoint GTX, 3-layer GoreTex. It's relatively affordable for 3-layer GoreTex, but it's probably better than the other stuff in every respect -- breathability, waterproofing, and durability. That said, it's a big jump in price. I'm trying to decide whether I should've gotten it, but I think I will probably wear out this NF jacket and then upgrade somewhere down the line. LBYM!
ThankYouJack wrote:

Any recommendations?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm

You are asking for the impossible I think. $100 for a rain jacket that keeps you dry AND is breathable?

I think you need something combined with an umbrella. That would mean you would leave it unzipped most of the time. So you got your FrogTogs inexpensive stuff, then your Outdoor Research Helium 2, then a variety of high-end jackets, and finally the Zpacks Vertice Rain Jacket.

I use a modified Marmot gore-tex jacket that is not made anymore along with an umbrella. The modifications are mostly to keep a fully unzipped jacket from flapping and blowing in the window. I treat the jacket with Nickwax DWR before going on a big expedition.

Some of these expensive jackets rip and tear easily, so that's a consideration when paying the big bucks.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:01 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
...I'd like something that is light weigh, breathable and can be easily stuffed into a hydration pack...
I hope ladies will chime in, I too am looking for a rain jacket.
Red Ledge. Jakuta. @$80: Available for Women and Men. ($55 for Boys and Girls sizes.) Amazon, REI, etc.

Nylon. Waterproof. Breathable. Lightweight. Folds compactly. Good pockets, collar, hood, cuff. Taped seams.

I've enjoyed mine for several years; t's kept me dry in downpours, sleet, hail and snow.

I bought a size too large so I could wear a fleece or wool layer underneath when it's chilly.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Flobes wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:01 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
...I'd like something that is light weigh, breathable and can be easily stuffed into a hydration pack...
I hope ladies will chime in, I too am looking for a rain jacket.
Red Ledge. Jakuta. @$80: Available for Women and Men. ($55 for Boys and Girls sizes.) Amazon, REI, etc.

Nylon. Waterproof. Breathable. Lightweight. Folds compactly. Good pockets, collar, hood, cuff. Taped seams.

I've enjoyed mine for several years; t's kept me dry in downpours, sleet, hail and snow.

I bought a size too large so I could wear a fleece or wool layer underneath when it's chilly.
Thank you.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Wife just got a new Patagonia rain jacket this summer and loves it. Visit REI if possible and take a look at Patagonia, Marmot, Northface, and REI House brand rain jackets. Most of better jackets are priced at $100-170 or so, completely waterproof but breathable, will last for years, and well worth it. Best to try various brands jackets on for size and fit they do vary and some will fit certain body types (height,weight, short or long waisted, etc) significantly better than others.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:32 pm

I have a Golite jacket made with Gortex Paclite that is waterproof, windproof, breathable, and weighs nothing. I've had it for 12 years and it still looks and works like brand new. I wear it to run errands when it's raining and take it hiking when weather conditions can go from 70 degrees to snowing within hours. With a fleece or packable down underneath, it keeps me warm and dry during a snowstorm. It was on clearance when I bought it for under $100 12 years ago.

hand

Post by hand » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Patagonia Torrentshell Jacket - lightweight and often goes on sale on their website, and likely in stores.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:55 pm

DSInvestor wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:03 pm
The DWR (durable water repellent) layer can be revived by putting the jacket in a dryer. Try this after washing your jacket with nikwax tech wash. This is better than washing with harsher detergents which could accelerate loss of DWR. If water does not bead off your jacket after a run in the dryer, you can try to apply nikwax TX.direct spray on.

REI page for Nikwax TX.Direct spray on: https://www.rei.com/product/724688/nikw ... -169-fl-oz

REI page on DWR coating: application cleaning and care: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... r-dwr.html

REI page on cleaning and caring for Goretex: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... rwear.html
Thanks for these links.

We recently got Marmot GoreTex Jackets and rainpaints for trips to Alaska and then to Norway (late winter), and they are terrific.
They aren't ultra light weight, however, more of a "stiff, slightly thick" fabric (but not padded). I wouldn't select that for backpacking if one planned to "stuff it".

But back to the links. I have an ancient London Fog ripstop type fabric GoreTex jacket that has been heavily used and washed, and then lost it's water repellent qualities.
But now I need to double check if it was just that surface, as that's something that is described. The cool and even damp feel apparently might *not* mean that water is actually leaking through. Very interesting, regardless of whether this is what happened to this particular jacket.

Thanks again. Something to keep in mind with the higher priced items we purchased more recently.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Honestly, around the same pricepoint they're all pretty similar. Just find the one that fits you best. This was the deciding factor for me (which is why I went with Mammut, their cuts just fit my body type best).

Other thing is to check the clearance racks. Goretex can get expensive, but on clearance can be a great deal (my Mammut was marked down to $130 from $200).

Liam Friend

Post by Liam Friend » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:03 pm

I really like my Cabela's Gore-Tex jacket. Water repellent, breathable, and I think still lifetime has a lifetime warranty. $129 but rarely if ever on sale.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:07 pm

North Face has a lifetime warranty and Will repair or replace your jacket. https://www.thenorthface.com/help/warranty.html

We had two jackets that were delaminating (the layers separated and started peeling off), which were replaced with no questions asked. Another one the zipper failed after 6 months, again, replaced easily. These rain jackets often aren't worth repairing due to the fabric, and get replaced.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:11 pm

As noted try the Nikiwax to see if that enhances thr rain protection.
If you have ever gotten a jacket with pit zips you'll never get one without it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm

I'm waiting for jacket technology that keeps me dry while hiking with a 15 lb pack uphill at 4 mph in a Texas thunderstorm while it is 85-95 deg and 100% humidity.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:28 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:07 pm
North Face has a lifetime warranty and Will repair or replace your jacket. https://www.thenorthface.com/help/warranty.html

We had two jackets that were delaminating (the layers separated and started peeling off), which were replaced with no questions asked. Another one the zipper failed after 6 months, again, replaced easily. These rain jackets often aren't worth repairing due to the fabric, and get replaced.
I think my jacket is normal wear and tear so wouldn't be covered.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:43 pm

I bought my Goretex jacket on eBay (used) for about $50. It's made by Zero Restriction (for golf). Took it to Ireland this past summer and it was fantastic both on and off the course.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:17 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm
I'm waiting for jacket technology that keeps me dry while hiking with a 15 lb pack uphill at 4 mph in a Texas thunderstorm while it is 85-95 deg and 100% humidity.
I hope you are a patient man :happy

To the OP, I like the Marmot Minimalist, but it's more than your price range. In it's price range, the Marmot precip gets very good reviews. Another more expensive choice is the Outdoor Research Foray jacket, which has a truly awesome ventilation system. (I was rain jacket shopping earlier this year).

As livesoft humorously notes above, there is no rain jacket at any price that will keep you from getting drenched with your own sweat if you are exerting yourself in warm humid conditions. The breathable ones can show their mettle in cooler conditions and when you are not working too hard.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 pm

IMHO, jacket and fabric manufacturers unconscionably overpromise what has been achieved regarding waterproofness / breathability. What is waterproof is not breathable and vice versa. As mentioned above, the best - by far - balance of the two is to simply get an umbrella. For hiking, I like this brand very much. Lots of choices.....

https://www.euroschirm.com/

I have tried eVent, Neoshell, and Pertex fabrics. These are only useful in mists, not serious rain. The heavier weight garment versions are better than the lighter weight versions, but their packability suffers. The Nikwax wash-in DWR is always necessary. I don't bother rinsing it off. And I always follow up with the spray-on solvent-based kind on the shoulders and sleeves as these are the parts of the jacket that fail first. For quality, look for taped seams and for much better breathability look for pit zips. It doesn't seem to matter which of these fabrics to use. They are all inadequate.

The best raingear combination for trekking is a packable, seamed, hooded pit-zipped jacket, followed by an umbrella, followed by a sil-nylon poncho to cover body and pack as things progressively turn nastier.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:54 am

Really depends on what you want. If it's style that is one thing; if just pure packable to stay dry from car to house etc, its hard to beat Frogg Toggs for performance and $.
Last edited by dekecarver on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm
Hike naked and let the moisture evaporate. :D

spitty

Post by spitty » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 am

https://www.backcountry.com/arc-teryx-b ... c00rz?rr=t

Here's the one I got a few years ago--not cheap but 100% dry protection and very well made. None of the Gortex products are real breathable otherwise they'd allow moisture in..my experience anyway.
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Go with LLBean as first choice: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68624?p ... -GN2&csp=f

Another great option is Eddie Bauer.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 pm
IMHO, jacket and fabric manufacturers unconscionably overpromise what has been achieved regarding waterproofness / breathability. What is waterproof is not breathable and vice versa.
I have a friend who leads hikes for the Sierra Club in Oregon (rain country). He says exactly the same thing.

omibogle

Post by omibogle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Helly Hansen makes high quality rain gear, but is expensive.

Someone else mentioned, North Face has warranty, they'll likely fix or replace the jacket no charge for you.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Before throwing out the old one, you might try this "Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellant": https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-Camp-Heavy- ... th=1&psc=1 (fyi, it's cheaper at walmart, ~$8)

I've had good luck using it to waterproof a tent, and the reviews indicate that some people have had success with Northface jackets:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R22YVVK5G ... swr_rp_hza

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Liam Friend wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:03 pm
I really like my Cabela's Gore-Tex jacket. Water repellent, breathable, and I think still lifetime has a lifetime warranty. $129 but rarely if ever on sale.
+1 on Cabela's.

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:02 am

Steelersfan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 pm
Cyclesafe wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 pm
IMHO, jacket and fabric manufacturers unconscionably overpromise what has been achieved regarding waterproofness / breathability. What is waterproof is not breathable and vice versa.
I have a friend who leads hikes for the Sierra Club in Oregon (rain country). He says exactly the same thing.

I'm an Oregonian hiker too! I find there is a huge difference between a breathable rain jacket and one that isn't. I would never buy a rain jacket that wasn't also breathable.

Columbia is doing some interesting things with their new OutDry product line. They non have an ultra light version but it is probably out of the $100 limit. Check out the Columbia Sportswear Outlet stores.

I have owned two Marmot Precip jackets. They are great for light rain but will wet out during a hard rain. The OutDry products will not wet out.

Around here I wear quick dry clothes, merino socks, waterproof shoes, waterproof baseball hat, rain jacket and sometimes rain pants. Dress for success!

txmu541

Post by txmu541 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 am

My wife and I backpack and researching gear is an expensive hobby of mine. I've tried several of the latest and greatest fabrics. I use the special washes, and wash as minimally as possible, and also reapply nikwax performance fabric spray. You either get wet from sub-par fabric, or from sweat when it doesn't breathe. I didn't want to admit it, because technology has made life so much better in so many areas of backpacking gear and surely it has rain gear to some degree, but Gore-Tex is tough to beat, and worth the additional cost. I didn't quite grasp the degree to how well Gore-Tex performs until a trip to the PNW a few months ago. Sustained moisture over several days is much different than the occasional heavy downpour such as what we get in Texas.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 pm

I'm a skier but more than that I'm a clothes horse when it comes to technical gear. In order to cut through the manufacturer's marketing BS it really pays to understand the underlying technology behind claims of "waterproof and breathable" fabrics. These articles are the best explanation I've ever read:

http://blistergearreview.com/features/outerwear-101

http://blistergearreview.com/recommende ... igm-shifts
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.