Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
NextMil
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by NextMil » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:47 pm

If you travel for work and have an iPad Pro has it replaced your laptop or do you still take a laptop?

Dottie57
Posts: 4828
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:06 pm

My iPad pro has replaced my computer except for Excel, word processing and some picture/video editing.

Email, surfing the web, note taking, calendar all on iPad.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 4461
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by Kenkat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Mostly yes. If I know I will be doing a lot of heads down work in something like Excel or Word, I will cart the laptop along but try my best to avoid it. I do have Office 365 installed on the iPad so lightweight use of these can occur on the iPad.

five2one
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by five2one » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:47 am

Depends, am I consuming information or generating information?

Consuming equals Ipad/smart phone.
Generating low level work equals my macbook.

Generating a lot (research paper) equals macbook connected to mouse and two external monitors plus comfy chair and good lighting.

stan1
Posts: 6094
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by stan1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 am

If I only need email and web browsing and I am on a short 2-3 day trip I've taken only my iPhone. That wouldn't work if I needed MS Office applications. It really depends on your needs and preferences.

lazydavid
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by lazydavid » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 am

If I'm just travelling for a couple of days for training or meetings--where I'm expecting to do primarily email/web and perhaps some very light office app stuff--I will sometimes take just my iPad Pro 10.5 in its keyboard case. If I'm going to work on a project, the laptop has to go. Most of the time I'll then take both, although if I want to travel light I may sometimes bring just the laptop, as it's only about a half-pound heavier than the iPad/keyboard case combo.

If I'm expecting to do a lot of heavy work while I'm out, I have a 15.6" USB-C monitor that I bring along as a second screen. But those occasions are pretty rare.

bondsr4me
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm
Mostly yes. If I know I will be doing a lot of heads down work in something like Excel or Word, I will cart the laptop along but try my best to avoid it. I do have Office 365 installed on the iPad so lightweight use of these can occur on the iPad.
is the Excel iPad version any good?

I use Office365 on my MBP and SurfacePro4.

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1741
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 am

A cursor, file management, and a keyboard are hard to replace. The iPad has a different purpose than a laptop to me. Media consumption is great on an iPad and they're fun to use. More of a toy than a tool. Typing anything on an iPad is tedious and the stand cases are just not as sturdy as a laptop. I am curious to see if they blend iOS and MacOS in the future to make the iPad more functional and the MacBook more touch friendly like the Microsoft Surface.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 4461
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by Kenkat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:00 am

bondsr4me wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 am
Kenkat wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm
Mostly yes. If I know I will be doing a lot of heads down work in something like Excel or Word, I will cart the laptop along but try my best to avoid it. I do have Office 365 installed on the iPad so lightweight use of these can occur on the iPad.
is the Excel iPad version any good?

I use Office365 on my MBP and SurfacePro4.
It is usable for light editing of existing spreadsheets or creation of fairly simple new spreadsheets but for any heavy duty work, I am a lot more productive on my Windows laptop. If I have only the iPad Pro and discover I need to do something in Excel, I can get by but if I knew in advance there was going to be work in Excel, I’d tsk the laptop.

texasdiver
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by texasdiver » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm

I use mine on the road but I put it in a keyboard case. I have the Logitech Create keyboard with backlit keys which I like for travel. Around home I keep the iPad in a lighter case sans-keyboard because I don't use it for serious work.

If you are a power user of Excel then you will chafe at the absence of arrow keys to move from cell to cell but with an actual keyboard you can reasonably do most road work on an iPad. It is especially nice if you have built-in cellular so you don't have to search out wifi like with a laptop. If your work involves interacting with large fill-form type online interfaces where you tab between cells then the iPad will drive you crazy. For example, all the online grading software that teachers use to enter grades and comments for students is designed to be navigated with arrow keys and tabs and if you are using an iPad it is frustrating and annoying. I expect there are many other industries that use similar older online data entry software that does not work well on iPads.

If your work mainly involves staying in contact, email, and managing short simple documents then yes 100% on the iPad. If your work involves any serious manipulation of large complicated documents, spreadsheets, or digital editing with tools like photoshop then obviously you are better served bringing your main platform with you.

Note: The iPad is complicated to connect to traditional corporate projectors. It can be done but you need to plan ahead and get some adapter cables and such. So if you plan to walk into any kind of conference room or presentation and intend to project anything on a big screen then you are advised to bring a traditional laptop that has a video out port. Or bring your stuff on a flash drive or have it ready on a google drive account or something so you can bring it up on a borrowed computer.

File management is also frustrating on an iPad if you normally do file management using a PC and have hundreds or thousands of nested folders and files. You can install google drive or DropBox or similar on the iPad but it is not as seamless as using those in a nativfe PC environment if that is what you are used to.

bondsr4me
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:00 am
bondsr4me wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 am
Kenkat wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm
Mostly yes. If I know I will be doing a lot of heads down work in something like Excel or Word, I will cart the laptop along but try my best to avoid it. I do have Office 365 installed on the iPad so lightweight use of these can occur on the iPad.
is the Excel iPad version any good?

I use Office365 on my MBP and SurfacePro4.
It is usable for light editing of existing spreadsheets or creation of fairly simple new spreadsheets but for any heavy duty work, I am a lot more productive on my Windows laptop. If I have only the iPad Pro and discover I need to do something in Excel, I can get by but if I knew in advance there was going to be work in Excel, I’d tsk the laptop.
+1
Thanks

eddot98
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:47 am
Location: The Berkshires

Re: Is your iPad Pro enough on the road?

Post by eddot98 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Our company has a server that has Microsoft Office on it and shared files and individuals’ files on various hard drives on that server. While our iPads and iPhones can connect to the server for email, we cannot access Office or any of those files (unless they are emailed to you) on iPads or iPhones. When we get files attached to emails on iPads and iPhones, we can read them, but we cannot edit them. The only way to get and work on those files is to connect with a laptop or desktop computer.

Post Reply