Stereo receiver amp without aux plug or bluetooth ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bighatnohorse

Stereo receiver amp without aux plug or bluetooth ?

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:16 pm

My old receiver/amp has multiple HDMI outlets Inputs but no standard AUX outlet input.
It has no bluetooth or WiFi capability.

I want to stream music from my smartphone through the amp.
The phone has a standard AUX outlet - but the amp has not.

Any ideas what it would take to make music go from the phone to the amp?

I take it back. There is a standard AUX input port - hidden under a plastic cap on the face of the receiver!
Last edited by bighatnohorse on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

tesuzuki2002

Re: Stereo receiver amp without aux plug or bluetooth ?

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:21 pm

bighatnohorse wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:16 pm
My old receiver/amp has multiple HDMI outlets but no standard AUX outlet.
It has no bluetooth or WiFi capability.

I want to stream music from my smartphone through the amp.
The phone has a standard AUX outlet - but the amp has not.

Any ideas what it would take to make music go from the phone to the amp?
Does the AMP have any inputs?

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:38 pm

First, it is the inputs that matter, not outlets, but maybe that was what you meant by outlet.

Any input labeled for CD, Tuner, Tape Play, Tape In, Tape Monitor, or Aux will expect the same line level voltage range and can be used interchangeably for your purposes. The difference will be what selection you make on a menu, selector knob, selector buttons etc to select the input channel used.

There actually is a mismatch between these and the headphone output on a phone, but modern solid state consumer amps are quite forgiving and it normally will work fine. If volume level range seems not correct, you may need an adapter for the impedance mismatch of the two devices, or a preamp, but this is quite unlikely.

Just be sure you don’t plug it into a phono input. The line level of the headphone output of a phone or of say a CD player is too hot for the sensitivity range of the phono input and damage to the amp or speakers or both would be possible/likely.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Let's get specific. What is the brand and model of the receiver? We can then tell you what kind of cord to plug into which input, and then which button to push to make it active.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm

I have a gen 1 iPad hooked up to a 30 year old amp via a headphone-to-RCA cable, plugged into in the "CD" connection. I use that to stream Pandora.

I have another also-older amp hooked to an Apple airport express with the same type cable, that turns it into an airplay speaker I can stream from my phone.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Look into getting an adapter.

TravelforFun

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:06 pm

mrb09 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm
I have a gen 1 iPad hooked up to a 30 year old amp via a headphone-to-RCA cable, plugged into in the "CD" connection. I use that to stream Pandora.

I have another also-older amp hooked to an Apple airport express with the same type cable, that turns it into an airplay speaker I can stream from my phone.
Yes, if you have RCA style connectors, this works well.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 pm

I stream music in my garage via an Amazon Dot hooked into my old Onkyo receiver via the CD input.

Works great.

I also have played downloaded music via an old Samsung Galaxy 3 phone also using the CD input of the Onkyo receiver.

Also worked great.

Either way listening to music via four speakers and subwoofer vs the speaker in the phone or the Dot was much nicer. Much louder, too.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks - and yes multiple hdmi "INPUTS" not outlets are on the receiver/amp.
And it appears that there is an option to use an RCA audio input.
So. . .an adapter is it? I can go with that and will start searching.
Its a Yamaha RX-V371

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:16 pm

mrb09 wrote:

Wow, I can do this with my gen 1. Very cool.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:16 pm

bighatnohorse wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Thanks - and yes multiple hdmi "INPUTS" not outlets are on the receiver/amp.
And it appears that there is an option to use an RCA audio input.
So. . .an adapter is it? I can go with that and will start searching.
Its a Yamaha RX-V371
Perfect.

The cheapest way is to get a 3.5mm to RCA Y-Cable. Like this one for less than a buck, or if you want to go high-zoot, get the fancy $2 one. Plug the Red and Black RCA ends into the correspondingly-colored input labelled "Audio 1" or "Audio 2" towards the middle of the back, in between "AV Out" and "Audio Out":

Then just select that input and play. Pro: costs almost nothing. Con: your phone is physically cabled to the receiver, so is dedicated to playing audio.

The best (meaning most convenient and likely highest audio quality) way, in my opinion, would be to pick up a Chromecast Audio, and either hook it to the receiver in the way I outlined above, or better yet, use an Optical cable attached to input "AV 4". There's also a fancy version of these cables too.

Select the AV 4 input, start playing the music in your app, then hit the cast button to have it play from the Chromecast directly. Pros: Should be higher audio quality, your phone is not tied to the receiver so you can use it for other things. Cons: Costs $35 more than the first option, requires a little setup.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Interesting, I have a Yamaha RX-V381 and it has both Bluetooth and a 3.5 Aux Input on the front.

Prior to getting the Yamaha, I used a cable very similar to the Amazon link above.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 pm

The Chromecast with optical cable - this looks good. Both audio inputs are currently occupied and the optical input is available.
I like wireless and the Chromecast method should work - exactly what I was hoping for.
Thank you all very much.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 pm

lazydavid is spot on!

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 pm

I use Chromecast and steam Pandora on my Yamaha receiver.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:16 pm
mrb09 wrote:

I've done that before, works reasonably well, easy to configure, resolution limited to 48khz sample rate.

Now that I've switch to Roon as my music server, I use a Raspberry Pi with an digital IO HAT running Roon Bridge software.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm

watchnerd wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
mrb09 wrote:

I've done that before, works reasonably well, easy to configure, resolution limited to 48khz sample rate.

Now that I've switch to Roon as my music server, I use a Raspberry Pi with an digital IO HAT running Roon Bridge software.
I have no idea what your last sentence is saying.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm
watchnerd wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
mrb09 wrote:

I have no idea what your last sentence is saying.
https://roonlabs.com/
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:28 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 pm
I use Chromecast and steam Pandora on my Yamaha receiver.
Without Chromecast, I can stream Pandora through the Samsung DVD player. The DVD player has several apps built in such as YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and about 10 other video streams. But no way to receive anything not built into their menu. :(

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Follow up: Chromecast did not work. Chromecast requires a Wifi network. Actually, the app that is required to be installed on the phone called the "setup" procedure requires a Wifi network.
And IF your phone is your Wifi network, such as it is used as a hotspot, and the "setup" app wants to use the wifi radio on the phone, and the phone wifi radio is already in use, setup can't do it. A stand alone Wifi is required.

Better should be the Bluetooth audio streaming device (I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place?)
I've ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ ... UTF8&psc=1

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:20 am

bighatnohorse wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 pm
Follow up: Chromecast did not work. Chromecast requires a Wifi network. Actually, the app that is required to be installed on the phone called the "setup" procedure requires a Wifi network.
And IF your phone is your Wifi network, such as it is used as a hotspot, and the "setup" app wants to use the wifi radio on the phone, and the phone wifi radio is already in use, setup can't do it. A stand alone Wifi is required.
Sorry about that. Wifi is so ubiquitous now that I just assumed you had internet at home. In my defense though, we were talking about streaming audio. :D

jimmac9

Post by jimmac9 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 am

You can find an adapter cord at R̶a̶d̶i̶o̶ ̶S̶h̶a̶c̶k̶ Ebay to go from the headphone jack on the phone to the AV inputs on the receiver, if you don't have a headphone jack on the receiver.

TANDM

Post by TANDM » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:15 am

I think you are looking for a "Bluetooth adapter/receiver." Here is a very inexpensive one that, I think, can use an optical connection:

Monoprice Bluetooth Streaming Music Receiver with NFC and Qualcomm aptX Support
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id= ... gLl7vD_BwE