New Light bulbs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

New Light bulbs

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:40 pm

I know there are some previous threads on here but are a bit older.

Wondering what people like for light bulbs. What brand, color range and power? I typically just get Walmart 13w 2700k but figured I'd post to see what others like

mhc

Re: New Light bulbs

Post by mhc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:59 pm

My favorites are GE Reveal 100W and 75W.

97trophy

Post by 97trophy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Homedepot Ecosmart LEDs for us.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Hyperikon or CREE 2700k

Post by 123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm

We have a traditional styled home so we try to get the 2700 color temperature bulbs where we can. We have a couple rooms (baths and dining room) that originally had recessed halogen bulbs, we replaced those a couple of years ago with some Phillips LEDs. When we switched from halogen to LED our dimmer switches began to have problems so we ended up switching those as well. The various Phillips bulbs seem to work best for us and they're readily available at Home Depot. initially I seemed to find that the A19 size bulbs for lamp fixture bulbs was hard to find because often LEDs came in the larger A21 size, now I think A19 is more consistently available.

One project that I have not yet tackled is converting the recessed lights (about 16) in our kitchen ceiling from some "GX" type CFLs to LEDs. The "conversion" stuff I seem to read for them involves re-wiring each fixture to bypass the existing ballasts, seems kind of tedious to me. Though it's probably been awhile since I did research it just seemed that the direct LED replacement bulb options were still expensive (Phillips $25+ each). Right now it just doesn't seem wise to pay $400+ for bulbs for one room when the price will undoubtedly come down in time. On the other hand I wonder about the wisdom of using plug-compatible LED bulbs leaving the ballasts installed (to potentially seperately fail at some point down the road).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:56 pm

For me it depends a lot on the activity.

For general activity (going from room to room misc. activity in each room etc.) 5000 K (closest to natural daylight). For reading and other detail work such as knife work in the kitchen 6500 K. This gives a slight bluish cast which many people object to but I think it is ideal for this work as it enhances the contrast and is especially helpful if I am reading small type or have an older book with yellowed pages. For TV background or relaxation /mood lighting lower Kelvin maybe in the 3500 range. This gives a yellowish or even slightly reddish cast which many people prefer for general purposes but drives me nuts if I am doing any kind of active work at all and is sometimes difficult to read much of anything. I have hardwood floors upstairs. The lower Kelvin brings out the red tones in the wood which is a really nifty aesthetic feel at the end of the day (sort of but not quite like the glow from a fireplace.) But this would be absolutely unacceptable to me during the day. So my ceiling lights in this area are 5000K and the floor/table lamps the lower (can't remember exactly what K rating). Downstairs is a light wool rug. 5000 K ceiling there. Office & bedroom (where I do most of my reading) 5000 K ceiling, 6500K floor lamps and multiple floor lamps next to bed where I prop my feet while reading. I also have several table gooseneck style lamps at 6500 K I have throughout the house including kitchen so I never have to go far if I need to read some segment of small type.

The intensity I desire varies according to ceiling height and the clustering of built in cans (which varies throughout the house). But generally speaking I like things bright. I have a few brands but seem to like Ecosmart (via Home Depot & Amazon).

In case you are wondering I developed all of this in part to a negative reaction to my elderly mother who insisted in having low wattage, low intensity low Kelvin bulbs everywhere simply because they saved electricity & money. Neither she nor I could see much of anything under these circumstances. So when I inherited the house I spent a lot of money experimenting with light bulbs.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Currently my preference is to stick with the traditional warmed toned 2700K for relaxing areas (bedrooms, living rooms), and use the slightly more neutral toned 3000K color temperature like halogen lights for task areas (kitchen, bathroom). 3000K tend to be a little harder to find.

I strongly dislike the 5000K-6000K "daylight" tinted bulbs. Unless actually lighting an area that has a consistent mix of artificial and daylight, they appear too cool to me in comparison.

The last bulbs I got were Hyperikon high CRI bulbs. Some of mine flicker occasionally, but since most reviewers seem happy, I'm going to assume for now I was just unlucky. Power consumption is very good for a high CRI bulb, at 9.5W for a standard 800 lumens, but not quite as good as the newest mid-CRI bulbs that sometimes achieve as little as 7W for 800 lumens.

I discuss 800 lumen outputs (60-Watt equivalent) as a baseline, but bulb output is really something for you to decide based on the rating of your current bulbs and whether they bright enough, too bright, or too dim.

I am probably pickier than most people about color quality, so I really like having bulbs with a high color rendering index (high CRI). This is a score from 0 to 100 that basically rates the completeness of their color spectrum compared an ideal source of the same color temperature. Standard household bulbs usually have a CRI around 80 for LED's, with weakness in the red tones. LED's with a CRI higher than 90 usually perform better in tests for red renditions, which results in more accurate perception of skin and wood tones.

The GE Reveal series are also high CRI, if I remember right. Some of the current Cree brand bulbs on the market have a moderate CRI (~85).

I don't have any dimmers, so I can't comment on bulb compatibility with various dimmer switches. Do be aware that some users do have issues with certain bulb and dimmer combinations.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Most of our lights are the recessed can type and I used Feit 2700k LEDs from Costco. I also used Feit bulbs in our bathroom fixtures. They have a very slight buzz when dimmed but less than another brand I tried.

I purchased my bulbs nearly 4 years ago so I'm sure that even the same brand of bulb has changed in that time. After about a 10% early failure rate the Feit bulbs are performing well.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:26 pm

I mostly run 9.5W/2700k Feit's I bought from Costco a while back. To me they have a nice CRI (90+) and respond very well to dimming (X10). I replaced most of my fluorescent tubes with I think 22W Luceco 4000k direct wire LED tubes, and in the kitchen used some I think 2300k (very yellow) 14W(Not sure about this?) phillips direct wire LED tubes. The tubes in the kitchen aren't very bright, but they don't need to be because there's a single recessed light over the sink.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Another vote for 2700.

I avoid Phillips ever since I bought some incandescents and every one broke at the base when they burned out and I removed them.

I am not a fan of LEDs.

I most recently bought CFL Sylvanias from lightbulbs.com.

patrick

Post by patrick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Dollar Tree LED bulbs seem good enough to me -- I've had one more than a year and it still works.

Digital Dave

Post by Digital Dave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:39 pm

I like 3000k bulbs. I used to like 4000k bulbs until I had my cataracts taken care of.

My latest bulbs are by Sansi, sold by Amazon. I like to try different bulbs, kind of a hobby. When I get too many, I give them away to friends. I try to buy bulbs with over 100 lumens per watt. My next bulbs will concentrate on a 90+ CRI.

Dave
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, P2P Lending, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:05 pm

We mostly use 2700k lights for the pleasing warm color. Sourced at Home Depot or Costco. We can’t tolerate any lights that are higher than 3000k - cold blue lights look too much like surgical suite lighting. Also really dislike bright lights in a living space. First thing we do in any new house is install dimmers in every room. Turn the lights up bright to cook in the kitchen, and to clean house, but nicely dimmed otherwise.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:11 am

Like 3000K LEDs the best. They are analogy of halogen bulbs color-wise
2700K are anology of incadecent one, and I just like brighter 3000K better.
My outside lamps are antique-stylized, and use 1800K LEDs in them-- which is anology of candle light. I have landscaping with solar torch lights that are also of that spectrum, Also my hallway candelabra fixture, which is on a dimmer, has 22 LEDs bulbs that, when dimmed, change color from bright of 3000K to 1800K, so that they become in sync with ouside lamps as it is visible though the transom window, and it all looks rather cool I must say.
Anything above 3000K is too cold for me, unpleasant. Though had put 4000K in one of my kids rooms since fan lighting fixture there, which is the only light in that room, has low limit on total wattage, and I had to find bulbs that would give maximum output for small wattage. 4000K-5000K are brighter for the same wattage, hence the choice.
I also put 5000K LEDs into garage fixtures, not sure why but it seems right, as if I am stepping into daylight when going to garage.

I really don't look at brand the whole lot, mostly at lumens/watt efficiency, color rating, and CRI. The integrated LED fixtures I installed into walk-in closet are 3000K with very high CRI (92 I think) so that when my wife tries on clothes there, colors are not skewed.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:50 am

97trophy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:17 pm
Homedepot Ecosmart LEDs for us.
We bought a pack of Home Depot Ecosmarts, and they buzz pretty noticeably when dimmed. I asked some relatives who were senior to me in age, and they couldn't hear them at all. Do yours bother you?

I'm a big fan of high CRI bulbs (90+) as well. The low CRI bulbs, especially some of the CFLs, give off an unbalanced eerie glow like entire bands of color are missing, and I'm in a different dimension or in a dream or something.

As far as color temperatures, 2700K warm for relaxation, bedrooms. 3000K is a perfect neutral white and probably good for vanity, bathrooms, general purpose. I don't use 5000K Daylights much more but they're OK for the garage or utility rooms.

I'm a big fan of CREE LEDs -- American company and they perform well in my flashlights, so I try to get these usually. But have had good results with Feit Electrics as well.

Edited to Add: I'm trying to practice good "sleep hygiene" and eliminating lots of blues/greens and adding more reds. I bought the Feit Electric A19 3 Watt Red LED bulb off Amazon for about $8 and put it in a bedstand light. It's really red and perfect for evening and night time usage. I don't lose my night vision, and it doesn't interfere with my body clock.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:15 am

Most of mine are TCP elite 2700K LEDs.
They seem fine and the price was right (free through the masssave home energy audit program - Massacusetts resident).

Taz

Post by Taz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:21 am

I've been pleased with Hyperikon BR30 Dimmable (65W Equivalent), 3000K Wide Flood Light Bulbs for my kitchen and family room recessed lighting. The six family room cans are on a GE Z-wave dimming switch for manual and smart home control. The kitchen cans are manually controlled. Do not mix LED, CFL, or incandescent bulbs on the same circuit.

I am a fan of smart bulbs for single bulb fixtures such as porch lights or if want notification (such as an open door or weather advisory) or wake up lighting. You also get bulbs which can change temperature and/or color for various tasks or time of day.
The destination matters.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 am

All Phillips LED.

I’ve tried many many of the cheap brands over the years and they all fail prematurely. Even Cree :(

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:16 am

jharkin wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 am
All Phillips LED.

I’ve tried many many of the cheap brands over the years and they all fail prematurely. Even Cree :(
I bought a lot of Cree 40 and 60 watt equivalents in '13 and '14 (the ones with the heat sink on the base), so far haven't lost a single one. Since I started converting in '12 - have some of those early adopter ugly Phillips LED lights - I actually haven't lost a single interior LED bulb yet. I did lose one outdoor LED floodlight, I think it was Feit, which leaked water inside and after about 3 years finally failed.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:16 am

We are slowly replacing regular bulbs with LEDs.

Kitchen we have daylight bulbs but elsewhere we do regular reading brightness.