FaceID w driving? ... upgrading from 5S

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cardio

FaceID w driving? ... upgrading from 5S

Post by Cardio » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 am

I plan to upgrade from an iPhone 5S.

Because of my job in health care, I sometimes have to make phone calls to the hospital while on call and driving. I have found the fingerprint ID, Siri ("call hospital X"), and hands free Bluetooth a good combination to minimize the risks associated with driving and talking. The roads I travel don't permit me to pull over safely, and we are actually timed about how quickly we return our pages. I am 100% obeying the laws of my state when I do all this, so please no lectures about that.

For those who have used both the newer iPhones with fingerprint ID vs face ID, how does the face ID work when you are making a call while driving? What other features, practically speaking, distinguish the older from the new models?
Last edited by Cardio on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimonJester

Re: FaceID w driving? ... upgrading from 5S

Post by SimonJester » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am

Not sure about the whole face ID thing, but you can turn on Siri and have Siri perform all the tasks you would need to do while driving so you are safe and legal. If there is something Siri cannot do you should wait or pull over... In some cities the act of touching your phone at all will get you a ticket...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 am

It really doesn't work well when driving. FaceID won't work at all in landscape (I think there may be a software update for that soon). I don't know if it works better if you turn off the attention feature, because that is less secure, but allows the camera to work from more angles.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 am

I have no trouble with faceid while driving or wearing sunglasses.

You dont have to unlock your phone to answer phone calls.

I do not condone breaking local laws.
Frugality, indexing, time.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am

The key point in this scenario is that not only does FaceID need to be looking at you, you need to be looking at it if you have "require attention for Face ID" turned on. So you will end up needing to turn that off unless you plan to look at your phone for 0.5 seconds vs. the road (I don't advise that). I would recommend going into a store and playing with a display phone to see how well it is working for you. One thing would be if you mount your phone in your car vs. letting it sit somewhere.

As others have said, you can set Siri up to do certain things w/o requiring you to unlock.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am

longleaf wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 am
I have no trouble with faceid while driving or wearing sunglasses.

You dont have to unlock your phone to answer phone calls.

I do not condone breaking local laws.
I found faceid needed some training before it would unlock with sunglasses. It was sporadic at first, but now works every time.

targ

Post by targ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am

I was really hoping the new models would bring back some form of touchID. FaceID in a car is beyond annoying. It is far too finicky about lighting conditions, mounting location, and mounting angle.

If you really, really, need to access the phone for a call while driving, your best bet is to find an app that keeps the screen on all the time (a nav app like Waze is good for this).

That said, even with Siri off and no app keeping the screen on, you can can still use the side button to activate voice control and make a call without ever taking your eyes off the road.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:24 am

For me FaceID doesn't work as well as the home button for unlocking while driving, probably because I mount my phone on a floor mount. That makes it farther away and at an angle. To get it to work I need to angle the phone toward me a bit and sometimes lean in a bit. Makes it a bit scarier while on the road.
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:30 am

One option is to just turn it off.

I have a 6S and never use touch ID or even a passcode unless I'm traveling somewhere questionable.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:46 am

climber2020 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:30 am
One option is to just turn it off.

I have a 6S and never use touch ID or even a passcode unless I'm traveling somewhere questionable.
This may not be an option if the phone is required to be securely locked because it contains sensitive data. I used to get work email on my phone, which forced it to be locked. I no longer get work email.

As for driving with FaceID, it is less optimal than TouchID. Check to see if you can tell iPhone that your vehicle is a "safe zone" and to not lock itself. I know this is an option for Android, but I haven't used one in years.

Polymath

Post by Polymath » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:52 am

Couldn't you setup your phone for your car bluetooth as a trusted device so it does not lock as long as its connected to your car? Then you don't have to worry about unlocking.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 pm

When my work lended me an iPhone 6s Plus, I just held down the Home button to activate the voice control prompt and said something like "Call Work" or "Call Conference Bridge" and it would dial the number. No need to take eyes off the road. If I had a newer iPhone with FaceID, I absolutely wouldn't use it while driving -- there's gotta be a way to still use voice control.

Wolfpack2463

Post by Wolfpack2463 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:18 pm

I have my X mounted on a mount on my air vent and I have no problem unlocking it via FaceID. Also, I know with X (I think the 7 and 8 as well) you can summon Siri by just saying “Hey Siri” and then you can give command so wouldn’t even have to touch your phone. I believe you might have to turn this feature on in settings.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:19 pm

+1 on "Hey Siri" - it works well, and phone does not need to be unlocked.

targ

Post by targ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 pm

I should hope someone in the medical profession would know better than to have "Hey Siri" or "Ok Google" or anything similar turned on. IANAL, but that's *got* to be a HIPAA violation of some sort since everything you say following one of those commands gets sent to the ether rather than being processed on the phone like when you use the basic voice control. Even if not a violation, that's just too big a risk to inadvertently send potentially private data out unsecured.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:45 pm

I might use my Apple Watch to respond to messages since it prepares canned responses e.g. Can't talk now..
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 pm
When my work lended me an iPhone 6s Plus, I just held down the Home button to activate the voice control prompt and said something like "Call Work" or "Call Conference Bridge" and it would dial the number. No need to take eyes off the road. If I had a newer iPhone with FaceID, I absolutely wouldn't use it while driving -- there's gotta be a way to still use voice control.
If you press and hold the power button on the side like you used to hold the Home button, you get the same behavior.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm
Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 pm
If you press and hold the power button on the side like you used to hold the Home button, you get the same behavior.
Great, it makes sense Apple would retain that feature. Well there's @Cardio's solution and probably the safest option that doesn't require eyes off the road to return a page to work.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't know why when I first read the thread, I thought the OP was driving an ambulance. Now that I reread and found that it's probably a normal car, I would say Apple Carplay or a bluetooth connection should take care of this.