I need a chainsaw to trim branches and limbs!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dundee

I need a chainsaw to trim branches and limbs!!

Post by dundee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Friends,

I live in a suburban neighborhood on 1/2 acre. I need to buy a chainsaw to trim several branches and limbs in my yard. I am tired of hand sawing the branches. I have never used a chainsaw before, but, I can figure out the safety stuff. I will never use it to cut trees. I think I want an electric cordless chainsaw. I don't want to carry a heavy (gas) saw and don't want to have the long cord behind me. Am I right in thinking that cordless electric saw would be best? In order to buy a good product, I am willing to spend up to $200.
  • My preliminary search shows saws in the lengths of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 inches. As described in my needs above (occasional trimmer), what length should I go for?
  • there are 20V, 40V, 2.0AH, 4.0AH. WHat do I need?
  • there are self lubricating, brushless motor etc features. Which of those do I need?
  • any particular brand that you recommend? Any specific model from your experience?
Thank you.

dm200

Re: I need a chainsaw to trim branches and limbs!!

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Hire someone who:

1. Has the right equipment
2. Knows what he/she is doing

Mjar

Post by Mjar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm
Hire someone who:

I agree with dm200. But if you are hell bent on doing this yourself and want to go all Tim Allen then rent one to see if its something you want to invest in. Not sure how many trees you have that you need to purchase one vs just renting one. Make sure you have all the PPE to keep yourself safe, always two hands on the saw and eyes on the blade, neither should be compromised when using it. The only time you can stop doing that is when either the machine is stopped. I would just hire someone, much safer. Your safety is worth something.

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Have you looked into renting one when it would be needed?

I have a similar 1/2 acre lot with trees having branches to be cut, and some logs on the ground I need to cut up. I don't feel purchasing a chainsaw would be a good move, as I wouldn't use it much other than a one time big project.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:49 pm

dm200 wrote:
Hire someone who:

+1

But if you insist on DIY, here's a 2yr old summary from wirecutter https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-chainsaw/

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm

dm200 wrote:
Hire someone who:

This is what I do. I don't even like to watch the pros with chain saws and wood chippers.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Where are these branches and limbs? 1/2 acre is pretty tiny, so I have to think that there's not a need for anything beyond a good homeowner saw. That said, I'd stick with a brand that makes "real" chainsaws. Stihl would be my first choice. Although they're sort of the direct competitor of my favorite brand (Husqvarna), they have real saws and all sellers have to be servicing dealers. So you're not going to get stuck with the crap big box saws, some of which dealers won't even touch.

Ask the dealer what he recommends for blade size. 16" is pretty standard for gas saws and is all I use unless I'm cutting down something quite big....then I only go up to an 18". For a little electric, if there's a smaller standard blade, go with that. Branches aren't going to need much.

If everything you're trying to saw requires a ladder, consider a pole saw. I have an Echo (gas) and it's been stellar.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Also, if you're just trimming branches and limbs, a chainsaw is probably overkill. Especially if it involves climbing and being on a ladder and all... don't do that as an amateur. A pruning saw is probably all you need.... and quite a bit safer.

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:01 pm

Also, if you're just trimming branches and limbs, a chainsaw is probably overkill. Especially if it involves climbing and being on a ladder and all... don't do that as an amateur. A pruning saw is probably all you need.... and quite a bit safer.
Agreed. I think a battery powered reciprocating saw (e.g. Sawzall) to trim the branches and a corded electric chainsaw to cut the pieces to a reasonable size suits your purpose.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:03 pm

I prefer electric over gas for casual use because small gas engines turn finicky when not used regularly, and I find them a hassle. Consumer-grade chainsaws have chains which have fewer teeth, and therefor cut a bit more slowly, but are safer because they are less likely to kick back. This is appropriate for most of us. Take time to learn appropriate use, and practice on simple, stable stuff before tackling awkward branches. Remember that tree limbs can be surprisingly heavy and dangerous when they fall.

12 or 14" bar would probably be fine for your use. I've stuck with corded saws; a couple of heavy extension cords are useful in various places, not just for the saw. That way the battery never runs out or is discharged when you want it. Cordless have come a long ways in recent years, though; the batteries have more power and aren't so quick to fail.

I found that I also appreciate having a pole saw with small chainsaw for extra reach. You don't want a really long pole (unless you're a bodybuilder type), but 8-10' brings a lot of stuff in reach without needing a ladder. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight one (corded) and have been pleasantly surprised at the decent quality and usability. If going cordless, I'd stick with one battery system, and probably go a bit up the quality range.
Last edited by curmudgeon on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fourniks

Post by fourniks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I used to use a Poulan chainsaw for trimming trees. However, since rarely used it, there was always the issue of fresh fuel/oil mixture, sharpening/tightening the chain, etc. Seemed like whenever I needed to use it (which was rare), I couldn't get it to work well.

Fast forward to today. I use the Ryobi 18V cordless reciprocating saw. I think I paid around 50 bucks for it and I already had the batteries/chargers. I bought a couple of extra pruning-specific long blades at Depot or Lowes. It's perfect for what I need which is cut/prune limbs. I have cut up to 6-inch limbs with this (Oak, Red Bud).

Four

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:07 pm

A pruning saw and/or a pole saw would work.

If you really want to get a new tool (I've been there), consider a reciprocating saw and use a pruning blade. I've used one to trim fairly large branches, sever roots deep in mud, and for hanging deer disassembly.

Here is a video showing one in use for pruning: https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/u ... -branches/

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Tree folks are expensive, and there are many fly-by-night. There is no reason that most cannot cut limbs that may require it or cut up significant limbs that fall during a storm. Small trees are not an issue if you have some experience. I would not recommend an electric chain saw but would go to places like Harbor Freight or a similar place and purchase a refurbished saw. You can determine the weight and comfort level and obtain a very good saw for your purposes for less than $200. I use a 14" or 16" saw and would refer out anything requiring a larger saw.

Tim

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:11 pm

I have a little electric chainsaw for trimming.

You aren't sawing through 12" logs, but it zips through branches. Even with electric, caution is the word. They are wicked little devices.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend very little time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:13 pm

1)We have had 1/4 acre and 1 acre lots. I have a medium sized gas chainsaw I rarely use, and a corded electric that I use all the time.

2)I think the plan to get a cordless sounds smart. I rarely use the gas one, because I rarely cut stuff bigger than six inches diameter, and it's usually easier to string a cord than do the mothballing you need to do so the gas one will start next year.

If you're only cutting stuff an inch or two in diameter a hand saw is pretty nice. If you are cutting 18 inch logs, you want a big gas saw.

3)Only having a hand saw gets pretty tedious. I use my hand saws all the time, but for example in the last week we took down several dead trees from 4 to 6 inches in diameter, and cut them into firewood lengths to give away to a friend. The end product was a pickup truck bed full. That would be really tedious with only a handsaw.

4)Safety is an issue, just like it would be for a skil saw or lawn mower or whatever, but I don't think using a cordless chainsaw to trim 3 inch trees or branches is any more hazardous than other tools. Do study up.

5)Speaking of hand saws, Silky brand hand saws are awesome.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:14 pm

I have one of these except it has a poulan sticker on it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Remington-R ... /203556953

They look the same to me. At any rate, I use this for little stuff around the house. Easy to use. Don’t forget to buy some good protective equipment. It’s essential.

Anything bigger gets contracted out to a professional.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Cordless pole saw.
https://www.harborfreight.com/40v-lithi ... 63286.html

I have a corded version for my small lot since an extension cord is not an issue. It cuts through overgrown shrubs and small (<4") maple tree branches quite easily. The length keeps you off a ladder and the fall risk, along with keeping the chain away too. Just don't cut directly over your head.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:22 pm

TierArtz wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:07 pm
If you really want to get a new tool (I've been there), consider a reciprocating saw and use a pruning blade. I've used one to trim fairly large branches, sever roots deep in mud, and for hanging deer disassembly.
This. My yard is smaller than OPs, but a 12v cordless "hackzall" with a pruning blade is more than adequate for all of the branch/limb trimming I need to do. I wouldn't step up to a chainsaw until I was regularly cutting limbs more than 4" in diameter.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Several Americans *per week* are hospitalized overnight for injuries related to use of chain saws. They tend to kick at the wrong time and cut those using them, sometimes resulting in an amputation.

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Man, I guess no one in this thread ever uses any tool that might be the slightest bit dangerous. If you use common sense and protective equipment, and read the manual to get an understanding of how the saw operates, it's not exactly the scare of the century to use a chain saw.

That said, I have no input on the model; my chainsaw is a Craftsman from circa 1977...

If you do get a chainsaw, might want to get it delivered, since driving is dangerous (90 people a day die in car crashes, after all)...

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm

I recently got this guy. Got the job done and did not feel unsafe at all. I would be a little worried about doing branches at weird angles though. I have generally had bad luck with cordless devices degrading the batteries so I opted for the corded.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/WORX-WG305-1 ... w/39593635

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:46 pm

If you do it yourself:

1. Make sure your health insurance is in effect
2. Have someone available to call 911

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 pm

dundee wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:39 pm
Friends,

I live in a suburban neighborhood on 1/2 acre. I need to buy a chainsaw to trim several branches and limbs in my yard. I am tired of hand sawing the branches. I have never used a chainsaw before, but, I can figure out the safety stuff. I will never use it to cut trees. I think I want an electric cordless chainsaw. I don't want to carry a heavy (gas) saw and don't want to have the long cord behind me. Am I right in thinking that cordless electric saw would be best? In order to buy a good product, I am willing to spend up to $200.
  • My preliminary search shows saws in the lengths of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 inches. As described in my needs above (occasional trimmer), what length should I go for?
  • there are 20V, 40V, 2.0AH, 4.0AH. WHat do I need?
  • there are self lubricating, brushless motor etc features. Which of those do I need?
  • any particular brand that you recommend? Any specific model from your experience?
Thank you.
I would highly recommend NOT getting a chainsaw. They are very dangerous to use from ladders leaned against other branches or tree trunks. I have a three acre lot with over a hundred trees and I use a manual pole saw. After the first go through when we moved in, removing branches manually with a pole saw takes all of a half hour once a year. It isn't worth it to maintain an small engine or fuss with cords to get a pole saw with a chainsaw attachment on the end but if your heart is set on not sweating any, I would much rather use that than a chainsaw and keep my feet firmly planted on the ground.

Google "tree cutting fail" videos for proof

Post by alter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 pm

I recently bought a very powerful 48v chainsaw...wow what a piece of junk. Most parts were made out of plastic and the chain tensioner broke the very first day of use, and the chain jumped off. I sent it back and paid a bit extra and bought a gas powered Stihl, and have been happy ever since. If you want a chainsaw that will last, get a Stihl.

BOGBECK

Post by BOGBECK » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:18 pm

You are smart to ask and do research. You'll be smart to carefully read what experienced people have posted. Tree branch diameter looks small from the ground, then you get 10' up and they are twice the diameter and you "feel committed". The tree branch cuts nicely and comes down in a graceful arc picking up momentum and takes the ladder out from under you. You are hurt.
The battery powered chain saws have not proved useful as of yet. "Unlike many of the other cordless saws we tested" that quote is from a suggested link to a promotion of a battery powered chain saw. There is a clue.
A better all around choice may be a battery powered sawzall. The blade goes in and out and the sawzall can be used in the house as well as out. If you turn out to be a happy camper also, well pack your new sawzall and make quick work of scavenged limbs for firewood. Please be safe in your decision.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:19 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:46 pm
If you do it yourself:

1. Make sure your health insurance is in effect
2. Have someone available to call 911
Checko, pal... :)

For the OP, I'd recommend an electric pole saw. I have the Remington model and just used it a week ago half way up a six foot step ladder to extend its reach.
You need an extension cord for this model and that's fine for normal yard work.

I'm also on my second Husqvarna gas chain saw with 20" bar and dropped a dead oak tree that was maybe 24" across at the base last week, for firewood. This tree was in the woods, away from buildings and utility lines.
But this sort of thing is way beyond the scope of what the OP needs...
Attempted new signature...

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:25 pm

I own 2 gas chainsaws and used to do tree service work in high school and college. I use a 18v Dewalt sawzall 90% of the time for trimming and chopping up fallen limbs on 2+ acres surrounded by woods. Get a few Diablo blades or something similar at Harbor Freight. I have a 5'x8' trash trailer stacked 8' high with limbs ready to go to the dump when - if - it ever stops raining.

If you insist on using an extension ladder, tie the top of the ladder to the tree with rope. And don't work with a chainsaw at head level or higher.

I have safety chaps, boots, gloves and a helmet, but the fibers in the gloves, boots and chaps aren't strong enough to jam an electric chainsaw to a standstill - there's too much torque. They'll stop a gas-powered chain nearly instantly.

Having said all that, a couple of months ago I had a big red maple and a pine taken down. It's amazing how fast they knocked them out using a bucket truck, a tracked log grabber and a chipper. They worked almost 2 hours and then the stump grinder showed up. Nothing like it when I was working on trees - a 60 hp diesel on rubber tracks and all of it remote controlled. I saved some money by carting a couple hundred cubic feet of chips into the woods and filling the holes.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:28 pm

I have a bit of acreage and need to deal with both limbing branches and bucking up fallen trees for firewood. I have:

- A gas powered Husky 141 w/ a 14" bar
- A gas powered Stihl MS 271 w/ a 20" bar
- A unpowered Stihl Pole Saw w/ a PS80 saw blade
- A folding Stihl PS10 saw

For limbing, I wouldn't go over a 14" blade, just gets in the way, and the longer the blade the more power you need and adds more weight. If I was getting a new 12" or 14" saw, I'd think about electric. I replaced my gas-powered leaf blower with a 40 volt Lowes (Kobalt) model and have been pretty happy with it.

I won't use a chainsaw for anything above my chest, I use the pole saw for that.

Don't know what you use for a hand saw now, but you might try a good quality hand saw like a Stihl or a Fisker -- it is like night and day compared to a cheap saw.

spitty

Post by spitty » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:46 pm

You don't have that much work on 1/2 acre that would justify a chainsaw so I'd start with a manual pole saw--mine's a Jameson 17"blade with 6' extension. It's fast and easy to use especially without the extension; about $100 from Bailey's. It has never needed sharpening and it's safe. You'll have maintenance with a chainsaw besides sharpening the chain. Rubber parts get dried/cracked and need replacement q 6-8 years, fuel filter and spark plug, carb tuning/replacement, bars don't last forever and need occasional filing from chain friction. Plus after you've trim all your trees this Fall when would you need to do it again? Maybe 3-4 years? And the chainsaw sits. Of course safety is the biggest consideration. A good friend cut a hand off running his chainsaw in the woods alone--he's lucky to be alive. I didn't have the nerve to ask him the details of how...these accidents happen really fast!
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 pm

I like the reciprocating saw idea for your projected use. It would be pretty easy to change the blades. I would think that the recip saw would be safer than the chainsaw but I am just speculating.

plumberboy

Post by plumberboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:14 pm

foamypirate wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm
Man, I guess no one in this thread ever uses any tool that might be the slightest bit dangerous. If you use common sense and protective equipment, and read the manual to get an understanding of how the saw operates, it's not exactly the scare of the century to use a chain saw.

That said, I have no input on the model; my chainsaw is a Craftsman from circa 1977...

If you do get a chainsaw, might want to get it delivered, since driving is dangerous (90 people a day die in car crashes, after all)...
+1

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm
dm200 wrote:
Hire someone who:

This is what I do. I don't even like to watch the pros with chain saws and wood chippers.
Saws and Wood chippers are awesome!!!

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

A good safety rule is to NEVER take a chainsaw off the ground.

If you think you need a ladder or to climb the tree then hire someone that is trained to do that.

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:28 pm

"You'll have maintenance with a chainsaw besides sharpening the chain. Rubber parts get dried/cracked and need replacement q 6-8 years, fuel filter and spark plug, carb tuning/replacement, bars don't last forever and need occasional filing from chain friction."

That's all true enough for a pro using it every day, but the OP is asking about a cordless to trim branches on a 1/2 acre lot. FWIW, I've been using the same cheap corded electric for going on 3 decades now and the only maintenance I do is adjusting the blade tension and occasionally having the hardware store sharpen the chain. I cut a couple of pickup loads a year; if you're cutting 10 cords a year that's different - but the OP isn't going to be doing that on a 1/2 acre lot.

clcarter

Post by clcarter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:35 pm

What types and how much insurance should a tree removal contractor have?

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:42 pm

[urlhttps://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BDCR20B-Lit ... NN113SM7Z1][/url]

Anyone have experience with this reciprocating saw? It sure is well priced.

I just read that this is a bare saw for 40 dollars. Looks like about 58 bucks gets you a battery and a saw.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Conch55 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:01 pm
Agreed. I think a battery powered reciprocating saw (e.g. Sawzall) to trim the branches and a corded electric chainsaw to cut the pieces to a reasonable size suits your purpose.
Ir was a great advance in my life, which included many episodes of handsawing branches and tree limbs and the fixed belief that I would never use a chainsaw, the first time I saw someone using a sawzall, and I went WHAT IS THAT?

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Electric chain saws do not have the power as a gas chain saw. Are good for up to 5 inches dia branches. Then when I tried to use my 2 cycle gas chain saw 2 years ago the carburetor was all gummed up (gas and oil mixture), and a new carburetor would have cost as much as a new chain saw. Whenever you buy a gas chain saw, buy one with a 4 cycle engine. I would never use any chain saw while standing on a ladder.

2 years ago I was not able to cut out the stump of a large juniper, electric chainsaw did not have the power, had to use an ax, and got my right knee permanently injured (small meniscus rip). I am also 78. Removal of that juniper would have cost me perhaps $200 by a business I have very good experience with, but I thought I would be able to do it. Good luck!

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Would recommend Stihl MS 880

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 pm

A friend recently bought a chain saw for his property. He said that it made him feel very uncomfortable safety-wise. He used that for big jobs, but he also picked up a Worx Cordless Electric Chainsaw. Around $100. It only does 4" in diameter, but he said it doesn't have any of the fear factor the chain saw does. They make a corded version too. It basically looks like jaws so the branch goes in between eliminating an open saw blade.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:14 pm

For what you need, a chainsaw is both overkill and a risk to life and limb. Get a reciprocating saw and pruning blades (5 pack for $11 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-9-in ... /203464786)

Cordless is about $60, corded is more like $25. Probably less when on sale.

(something like this: https://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-19.2 ... wAodOHIDWQ
)

For chainsaws, electric is arguably more dangerous than gas-powered as the chainsaw chaps can stop a gas chainsaw but not an electric one. Read the reviews on things like
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017TKJBV2/re ... il_0?psc=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-587160 ... 1748&psc=1

and you should be more chastened about the prospect of using a chainsaw without training. If you're not cutting down trees or chopping them into firewood, but merely taking down branches, either use a manual pole pruner or a reciprocating sale...

2comma

Post by 2comma » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Chain saws and ladders don't mix. Take a look at the pro's equipment when you see them cutting/trimming trees - you won't see any ladders!
If I am stupid I will pay.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:50 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm
jebmke wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm
dm200 wrote:
Hire someone who:

Saws and Wood chippers are awesome!!!
They are indeed.
What's even more awesome is a semi-trailer unit with integral conveyor belt and large diesel engine which grinds up four-foot wide maple trunks and the like, fed by a separate large backhoe unit with a gripper, not a bucket...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 pm

2comma wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 pm
Chain saws and ladders don't mix. Take a look at the pro's equipment when you see them cutting/trimming trees - you won't see any ladders!
I largely agree.
The few times I've used an extension ladder with a chainsaw, I first secured the top of the ladder to the tree with a rope before coming back up with the saw.
Now in my old age, I try to avoid doing that anymore...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:03 pm

I get the comments warning of death and hurricanes and blood and Dracula if you even look at a chain saw.

You do need to learn how to use a chain saw properly and what to do and what not to do. I run my 2 husky's about 2 hours every weekend cutting firewood and doing forest management. I've been running saws since I was 13. But I have huge respect for the saws and if there's any doubt, I stop and set the chain brake. I won't let either of my kids run a saw (17 and 22 years old) and if friends ask to borrow a saw, I instead volunteer to cut for them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Milwaukee sawzall(aka reciprocating saw) with a tree pruning blade. Been using one for years, way safer than a chainsaw and works great. Mine is corded but I wouldn't mind having a battery powered one when I climb up in the tree(61 year old squirrel).
Rule 1. Never lose money. Rule 2. Never forget Rule 1.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 pm

I'd probably go with a reciprocating saw and a dedicated pruning blade. They're less expensive, especially compared to cordless chainsaws, and have other uses besides pruning.

Even though I have a chainsaw, I'm also thinking of getting a reciprocating saw mainly for trimming branches, because it's lighter, requires less maintenance, and is far less likely to wake the kids when they're napping.

My other option is just to get a decent bow saw and/or pruning saw. The bow saws the big home improvement stores have aren't the greatest frames, and the blades perform terribly in green wood. I'm sure there's better out there.

rimfire

Post by rimfire » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi dundee,

Don't believe all the nah sayers about not getting a chainsaw unless you are a total klutz around power tools.
There are some excellent battery powered tools available including chainsaws. If you have any modern battery power tools by say Makita, Milwaukie, Dewalt, or Bosch, then stick to the brand you have and look into one of their battery power chainsaws. My favourite would be Makita as I have been using them for 45 plus years with great reliable service. The new Makita 36 volt chainsaw gets pretty good reviews from experienced users. It use 2x18 volt batteries that fit as many as 160 plus, other battery driven Makita tools. Think you will have to spend a little more than $200 to get something that isn't in the lower grade consumer level. Probably closer to $300 to $350 with batteries and charger. The old adage about cry once when you buy it or cry every time you use it if you buy junk holds true when buying tools.
If you have someone experienced who can give you the basics on safety regarding use of chainsaws then that would be great, however YouTube is your friend regarding instruction. Essential Craftsman and Wranglerstar come to mind. Watch a few videos to get the hang of using one and then give it a go. Start with something on the ground and work you way to some thing up on the tree trunk. If my wife can do it I'm sure you can unless you are a total klutz with tools of any sort. If so as many have said, hire someone to do it for you.
There is however great satisfaction in doing manual work that seems to be lost on lots of people.

Makita models XUC02PT or XUC03PT would probably fit the bill well. However if you have the Dewalt or Milwaukie system them use their offering as the existing batteries/charger will work with your new chainsaw. Stay safe and use common sense, if it doesn't feel safe then it probably isn't although it will take a little time to build up confidence to do it yourself. Kind of like do it yourself investing :happy

Thanks jb

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:30 pm

An electric rechargeable chainsaw sounds like what you need. I don’t have any recs, but it should be easy to research.

If you’re not a lilly-livered city slicker and have a lick of common sense, you'll be okay.

However, I do agree that using it on a ladder is asking for trouble. Look into pruning saws for that.

JT

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 pm

I have a 20" Stihl Farm Boss and a 10" 20V.

The battery powered gets used much more.

A side note, I always run the gas out of the Stihl before I put it away, never had a problem with the fuel system.