WSJ print edition renewal time - any discounts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TnGuy

WSJ print edition renewal time - any discounts?

Post by TnGuy »

I enjoy sitting down and reading the Wall Street Journal print edition. I signed up for a subscription almost one year ago and now it's coming time for the 'automatic renewal' - which, from what I understand, will be somewhere in the ~ $400- 500/year range. Couple of questions:

- has anyone negotiated a better renewal rate with the WSJ by threatening to cancel?
- are there any legitimate discounters out there? Or, is going through the WSJ the only option?

If the only option out there is full-price, I may have to re-evaluate just how much I enjoy sitting down with a newspaper in my lap. Thanks for all of your help and insight.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
jehovasfitness

Re: WSJ print edition renwal time - any discounts?

Post by jehovasfitness »

$400-500/yr?

wow :shock:

even at $40-50/yr no thanks. Too much free info available online these days

Post by 123 »

You can support a local school, or one you may have attended years ago, by subscribing to the WSJ (print & digital) for $198 (305 issues) at https://gaschoolstore.com/ You can usually find a participating school group by putting in the name of a city in the school name and city fields and then adding the state. You're not required to identify a specific student. Usually they have the WSJ available, sometimes they don't. In the past I've "stacked" multiple renewals (after one gets processed all the way to my WSJ online record I add another one).

A high percentage of the subscription gets donated to the school involved.

The WSJ also seems to have subscription sales online around every holiday. You usually have to let one subscription expire to get another using that mechanism at the same address. One time I bought a gift subscription for my cousin but she wasn't interested so I changed the address over to our house.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
turnberry72

Post by turnberry72 »

Certainty is the killer of dreams.
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

The page says "This item is out of stock."
Trade the news and you will lose.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Subscribed to WSJ for many years. One year I tried to negotiate a discount at renewal. No dice. It bugged me they offered new customers a substantial discount, but long-time loyal customers had to pay full price. Then I used my son's college student discount rate for years. Significant discount. He didn't care about a paper news source. That worked through his finishing grad school. Once I was back to facing full price, I evaluated how much the WSJ was worth it to me. It takes a lot of time each day. You can find everything your need to stay informed on line for free (including most of their articles and opinion pieces if you nose around a bit). I decided to experiment and "cut the cord". I haven't missed it, and it helped re-evaluate my overall news consumption. Fifteen minutes every few days on Sirius radio and I pretty much know what's going on in the world. Another topic, but I think I'm better off these days on a dramatic news diet
HRPennypacker

Post by HRPennypacker »

You can always try switching to the FT...:)
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Nobody asked but I pay a bit over $40 a month for the failing NY Times
I already cancelled our local paper a year ago after tiring of negotiating the annual renewal
The Times has been at our doorstep for decades from state to state yet cost may be finally reaching the tipping point

They keep thanking me for supporting the paper, am I the only one keeping the Times in print?
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

S&L1940 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 am Nobody asked but I pay a bit over $40 a month for the failing NY Times
I already cancelled our local paper a year ago after tiring of negotiating the annual renewal
The Times has been at our doorstep for decades from state to state yet cost may be finally reaching the tipping point

They keep thanking me for supporting the paper, am I the only one keeping the Times in print?
They've become too biased/one-sided for my taste.
corysold

Post by corysold »

S&L1940 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 am Nobody asked but I pay a bit over $40 a month for the failing NY Times

You're one of pretty few. Newspaper subscriptions are way down across the board and the NYT seems to be down more than most in my area.

To the OP, often the papers sold in stores will have different ads in them and often include subscriber discount advertisements. Whether you can convince them to give it to you is a different story, but at least you'll know the current deals out there.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

One year WSJ print and digital subscription is available on ebay.com for $100-$105 from a couple of sellers.

Although I currently do not have a subscription of any type to WSJ, previously I had one that I had purchased on ebay.com

Might try the current sellers, no idea how honest any of those offering subscriptions might be.

My subscription to print and digital worked out well. I didn't renew as I have plenty of opportunities to read things that interest me for free.

Now if only I could find a cheap subscription rate for The Economist, I'd be all over that! As it is, I read the "poor man's" substitute: Bloomberg BusinessWeek. I only pay $2.00 per year for the magazine and digital access. Of course each year I have to decline the magazine renew at a much much higher rate, then the auto system offers me another year for $2.00.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

I did a NYT online last year on a special. I think $8/mo. The offer period ran out and it went to $15/mo. I cancelled. You have to call to cancel. Even though I signed up online. Screener dropped the offer price a couple times to about $7/mo. I cancelled anyway. After about a month I say a special for $4/mo. So I signed up again
smectym

Post by smectym »

I keep subscribing to the print edition of WSJ for old times sake. Living in a fairly rural area I’m amazed they still deliver. FT won’t, NYT won’t.

Smectym
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

Since I still have a child in college, I am taking advantage of the student rate for delivery of NYT & WSJ. The Journal is significantly less expensive than the Times. This started by accident when my son asked me to send him a student WSJ delivery freshman year; the NYT was free on campus. The Journal never ended up in his student mailbox, so I shifted the remainder of his subscription home after a couple of months of no papers.
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

TnGuy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:42 am I enjoy sitting down and reading the Wall Street Journal print edition. I signed up for a subscription almost one year ago and now it's coming time for the 'automatic renewal' - which, from what I understand, will be somewhere in the ~ $400- 500/year range. Couple of questions:

- has anyone negotiated a better renewal rate with the WSJ by threatening to cancel?
- are there any legitimate discounters out there? Or, is going through the WSJ the only option?

If the only option out there is full-price, I may have to re-evaluate just how much I enjoy sitting down with a newspaper in my lap. Thanks for all of your help and insight.

David
I waited a week after my subscription expired and played hardball with the sales folks. Last time 2 years ago, I got it for $155 print and digital. Have gone to digital only this year.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

I also prefer the print edition, and I was able to renew last October at around $140 for the year. We'll see how much they try to increase that next month when my renewal comes due.
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

veggivet wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 am I also prefer the print edition, and I was able to renew last October at around $140 for the year. We'll see how much they try to increase that next month when my renewal comes due.
How were you able to swing the $140 renewal rate???

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Have you actually asked them to extend the rock bottom price for another year?

WP did that for me, signed up for introductory rate for new subscribers of something like $143 for the whole year. At the end of the year, they sent me a renewal bill for like close to $500 for another year of daily and Sunday. I emailed them, pleading poverty and saying I was a sr. citizen on fixed income, would hate to have to give up the paper.
Worked like a charm, they emailed me right back saying they would be able to extend the intro low price for another year.
At the end of that year, they wouldn't give me the bargain basement rate, but when I balked at the $500 they backed down to $342 ($57 every 8 weeks)

They also said this - if I dropped the paper for 30 days I could come back in and qualify as a "new" subscriber and get the rock bottom rate again IF it was still offered. If you can't negotiate with the WSJ, ask how long you have to sit out before you can become a new subscriber again.

( I, too, have to have the print edition of paper every day. Have several cats who prefer to pee on newsprint rather than in the litter box :oops: ) Before home delivery was offered here in the boondocks I had to drive around on recycling day and appropriate newspapers people put out for collection :( :( And, before you pounce, no, that is not stealing, the authorities said anything that is put out at the curb for either garbage or recycling is considered in this state as abandoned property, available to anyone for the taking.
Bogle7

discounted WSJ

Post by Bogle7 »

We pay $26/quarter.
“Guaranteed” to stay the same.
Pretty good deal for a morning paper 6 days a week.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
dowse

Post by dowse »

123 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am You can support a local school, or one you may have attended years ago, by subscribing to the WSJ (print & digital) for $198 (305 issues) at https://gaschoolstore.com/ You can usually find a participating school group by putting in the name of a city in the school name and city fields and then adding the state. You're not required to identify a specific student. Usually they have the WSJ available, sometimes they don't. In the past I've "stacked" multiple renewals (after one gets processed all the way to my WSJ online record I add another one).

A high percentage of the subscription gets donated to the school involved.

The WSJ also seems to have subscription sales online around every holiday. You usually have to let one subscription expire to get another using that mechanism at the same address. One time I bought a gift subscription for my cousin but she wasn't interested so I changed the address over to our house.
Almost a year ago, I was all set to order via this service when WSJ sent me a renewal offer at the last minute. The offer was to renew at$99/yr., so of course, I jumped on that. Earlier in the year, I had received a renewal offer for $400-500/yr. This year, I have just received that same $400-500/yr offer again, so I am again ignoring that until the subscription is close to running out. So if a better offer doesn't come, and I decide to use the gaschoolstore method, would you recommend that I specify that it is a renewal or new subscription? Do you know what the lag time would be so I can time it so as to avoid a gap in delivery?
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

TnGuy wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:15 pm
veggivet wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 am I also prefer the print edition, and I was able to renew last October at around $140 for the year. We'll see how much they try to increase that next month when my renewal comes due.
How were you able to swing the $140 renewal rate???

David
I just asked the rep what was the lowest rate they could offer me at the time, saying that I really did want to continue receiving the paper. I had received my first year free, or to be more accurate, paid for by $$ earned taking online surveys. That platform no longer offers WSJ subscriptions. I recently saw a renewal for print and digital on eBay for $79, with the seller having 100% feedback, so I might go that direction if they try to bump me up significantly this year.
Last edited by veggivet on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
smectym

Post by smectym »

I’d go with this (Amazon) deal, I think this is about what we pay. $119 for 1 year (print + digital)

https://www.amazon.com/Wall-Street-Jour ... ywords=WSJ

Smectym
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

misterno wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 am WSJ has been free for many years

just change the date at the end

online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/print/WSJ_-A001-20171104.pdf
that's why I do now...no need to buy it...unless you want all the digital info too.
smectym

Post by smectym »

bondsr4me wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:25 am

that's why I do now...no need to buy it...unless you want all the digital info too.
OP wants the print edition, as his post makes clear. Does “just change the date at the end” result in a print copy of WSJ landing on OP’s front porch?
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

:happy Good point.

I wonder how the Amazon print+digital deal linked above works. The page says that the offering is from "Dow Jonesss," (sic) but if you drill down further, the third party seller is someone called Honest Buckeye. I wonder if he is?
smectym wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am
OP wants the print edition, as his post makes clear. Does “just change the date at the end” result in a print copy of WSJ landing on OP’s front porch?
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

Be a Boglehead.....do e-rewards for points. I get WSJ by using my points.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

The e-rewards program I was doing no longer offers WSJ on their rewards menu...
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

I've been getting the print edition to the WSJ for 25+ years......the most relaxing part of my day is sitting down with a cup of java and read the paper. :beer

Years ago I would use air miles to pay for the subscription. Now that I'm retired, I had to get a little creative. Last year when my subscription renewal came in the mail, it was full price......something like $472.00.... I called and pleaded with them that I am now on retirement income and I think they offered me a $50.00 discount..

The subscription price for a new subscriber is something like 1/2 price. So now, every year at renewal time, I just change the name on the subscription (wife's name, dog's name, etc.) .....also, I had to take out a new email address cuz my current email address would not allow it.

I, like a few others, want the print edition......just the way it is. :sharebeer
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

Your right....e-rewards no longer offers WSJ......my bad.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

delete
Last edited by DanMahowny on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funding secured
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

fishandgolf wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 am ....So now, every year at renewal time, I just change the name on the subscription (wife's name, dog's name, etc.) .....also, I had to take out a new email address cuz my current email address would not allow it.
Yes, different name and different email addy, but didn't they question why the physical delivery address for the paper was the same?
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

drawpoker wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:06 pm
fishandgolf wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 am ....So now, every year at renewal time, I just change the name on the subscription (wife's name, dog's name, etc.) .....also, I had to take out a new email address cuz my current email address would not allow it.
Yes, different name and different email addy, but didn't they question why the physical delivery address for the paper was the same?
...no, delivery address was the same....I didn't change that. They did not question it; they can't verify who lives at that address......might have brother-in-law or whoever living here..... or we could have sold house to another owner. I did pay the bill with my standard credit card though.....they didn't challenge that either. :wink:
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

smectym wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am
bondsr4me wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:25 am

Didn’t you read the OP’s next to last sentence....about possibly having to re-evaluate reading the paper in his lap?
The free pdf version is an alternative for his consideration...works well for me...maybe OP too...ya never know.

Post by 123 »

dowse wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:48 am
123 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am You can support a local school, or one you may have attended years ago, by subscribing to the WSJ (print & digital) for $198 (305 issues) at https://gaschoolstore.com/ You can usually find a participating school group by putting in the name of a city in the school name and city fields and then adding the state. You're not required to identify a specific student. Usually they have the WSJ available, sometimes they don't. In the past I've "stacked" multiple renewals (after one gets processed all the way to my WSJ online record I add another one). ...
Almost a year ago, I was all set to order via this service when WSJ sent me a renewal offer at the last minute. The offer was to renew at$99/yr., so of course, I jumped on that. Earlier in the year, I had received a renewal offer for $400-500/yr. This year, I have just received that same $400-500/yr offer again, so I am again ignoring that until the subscription is close to running out. So if a better offer doesn't come, and I decide to use the gaschoolstore method, would you recommend that I specify that it is a renewal or new subscription? Do you know what the lag time would be so I can time it so as to avoid a gap in delivery?
I've used the https://gaschoolstore.com/ to renew a couple of months before expiration without any problem whatsoever. Just click the renewal button in the sign-up process. My on-line subscription account record at wsj.com usually updates in a few weeks. No interruption in sevice. The only odd thing about using https://gaschoolstore.com/ is that if you look up your subscrption payment history at wsj.com it will only show a very low amount, apparently reflecting the contribution to the school and the commission paid to https://gaschoolstore.com/ for handling the subscription.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have enjoyed the print edition for a long time. I would have no problem renewing.

Let’s help and support our newspaper industry!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Thanks to this thread I've just renewed via the gaschoolstore website. I did contact WSJ earlier today, but they declined to offer me relief on a $500+ 1-year renewal, saying that my current promotional rate was just that, and would not be extended. Sure hope a renewal thru gaschoolstore works!
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
cantos

Post by cantos »

Guys - your local library has a subscription to WSJ. You can read it online with an app any time you want for free. Nothing could be more bogleheady, except the Luddites.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I like the print edition. Been getting it for 20+ years.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

cantos wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 pm Guys - your local library has a subscription to WSJ. You can read it online with an app any time you want for free. Nothing could be more bogleheady, except the Luddites.
I like to do the crosswords and other puzzles they have in the Saturday edition. I think the library would frown upon that, even if done in pencil... :wink:
cantos

Post by cantos »

We should start an app thread... nytines has a great crossword app!
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

123 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 pm
dowse wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:48 am
123 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am You can support a local school, or one you may have attended years ago, by subscribing to the WSJ (print & digital) for $198 (305 issues) at https://gaschoolstore.com/ You can usually find a participating school group by putting in the name of a city in the school name and city fields and then adding the state. You're not required to identify a specific student. Usually they have the WSJ available, sometimes they don't. In the past I've "stacked" multiple renewals (after one gets processed all the way to my WSJ online record I add another one). ...
I've used the https://gaschoolstore.com/ to renew a couple of months before expiration without any problem whatsoever. Just click the renewal button in the sign-up process. My on-line subscription account record at wsj.com usually updates in a few weeks. No interruption in sevice. The only odd thing about using https://gaschoolstore.com/ is that if you look up your subscrption payment history at wsj.com it will only show a very low amount, apparently reflecting the contribution to the school and the commission paid to https://gaschoolstore.com/ for handling the subscription.
Thanks for mentioning this as a possibility. I just checked at their website and when it gets to the WSJ option it states that it is for new subscriptions only. But, on the drop-down menu you are given a choice of new or renewal @ $198/year. I'm only a week or so away from my subscription's endpoint. I'm wondering that if I were sign up now would this be considered a renewal on the Journal end of things? Or, would I effectively now have 2 subscriptions going at once? (To attempt to answer my own question, perhaps I don't find out until I would start receiving 2 papers every day - and, I could always cancel the more expensive version.) Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience w/ using gaschoolstore.com when the renewal timeframe is rather short?

David
ThereAreNoGurus

Why would you go with that option? Further down the thread smectym suggested the following:
I’d go with this (Amazon) deal, I think this is about what we pay. $119 for 1 year (print + digital)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 am Why would you go with that option? Further down the thread smectym suggested the following:

The 94% rating of the seller (including 89% in the last 30 days) + only 17 total ratings stopped me in my tracks.

David
ThereAreNoGurus

TnGuy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 am Why would you go with that option? Further down the thread smectym suggested the following:

The 94% rating of the seller (including 89% in the last 30 days) + only 17 total ratings stopped me in my tracks.

David
89% positive, 11% neutral. 0% negative.

True, the total ratings count is low, but again zero negative ratings.
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

I made a deal with my kids. My birthday present is my annual WSJ sub renewal. I don't know what they pay and I don't care. I get it for free :D
Tellurius

Post by Tellurius »

Just switch to the Financial Times? Probably more expensive, but better quality? I would be interested to hear Bogleheads' thoughts on the two newspapers
“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!” | ― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

If anyone is interested in digital i get 2 years for $89 on eBay.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

Tellurius wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 pm Just switch to the Financial Times? Probably more expensive, but better quality? I would be interested to hear Bogleheads' thoughts on the two newspapers
If you live in the US and need your news timely then FT is a no go. I also prefer WSJ over FT and who wants to carry a pink, ok salmon, paper? :wink:
misterno

Post by misterno »

I am trying to read this article

https://www.wsj.com/articles/debate-hea ... 1536620460

And it is not available it needs subscription

So I go to this website

online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/print/WSJ_-A001-20180910.pdf

But I can not find it

Maybe online material is different than physical?
Topic Author
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

I went ahead and did the gaschoolstore @ $198/year. We'll see what happens.

Thank you all for replying. And, thanks to "123" for posting the gaschoolstore info in the thread.

David