Buying a house 1 mile away from a municipal landfill

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Felicidades

Buying a house 1 mile away from a municipal landfill

Post by Felicidades » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm

I put an offer on a home that was accepted. Shortly after I discovered that the home is 1.4 miles away from a municipal landfill that still has 90% capacity. I really like the neighborhood and home but I'm uneasy about the landfill. Is it a bad idea to buy this house?

iamlucky13

Re: Buying a house 1 mile away from a municipal landfill

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 pm

With that much space, I assume it is fairly modern, and unlikely to have odor issues.

Do you have specific concerns about the landfill?

My wife used to live a little under 2 miles from a landfill (just checked the map). I don't think she even knew it was there, and I only knew because one time when I was visiting, I helped her father haul a load of waste there.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:16 pm

I used to live about a mile from a landfill and never experienced any problems from it. But I was there before the land became a landfill. I wouldn't intentionally buy that close to one.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Things to investigate/consider.
-Whether the house has public or well water.
-What roads the trash trucks take coming and going for the landfill.
-Direction of prevailing winds in the area relative to the locations of the landfill and the house.
-Whether or not the landfill will be visible from the house off in the distance as it expands.

Post by 123 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 pm

When landfills are full in some areas there is practice is to "cap" them with large mounds of dirt along with the installation of a methane exhaust pipe system. I've seen this happen a couple of times in Southern California. The one's I'm familiar with were pretty unobtrusive when they were in operation but when they were closed the earthen cap that was placed on the top of them was 50 - 100+ ft high. They are both in areas where the terrain is essentially flat with little native vegetation so they do stick out. I suppose eventually they'll have trees planted on top (unless the methance gas kills the trees).

So you may need to consider how they fit the landscape now as well as what the future may hold. If you've got a lot of hills and lots of native tall vegetation maybe they wouldn't be noticeable. However, be sure to check out the direction of the prevailing winds (which may be vary at different times of the day or in different seasons).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Felicidades

Post by Felicidades » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:31 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 pm
With that much space, I assume it is fairly modern, and unlikely to have odor issues.

My wife used to live a little under 2 miles from a landfill (just checked the map). I don't think she even knew it was there, and I only knew because one time when I was visiting, I helped her father haul a load of waste there.
My primary concern is health effects and how it may affect any children I may have in the future. The secondary concern is the impact it may have on the long term value of the property. I've never smelled anything while being in the neighborhood, but I have seen news reports about residents complaining about odor. There are some homes that are about 300 feet from the landfill.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:33 pm

I live about 4 miles from a landfill. Normally no problem. But every once in while - ack!
We all complained, they eventually fixed the problem. A newish landfill is probably no problem.
If it is old, you have to complain so it is brought up to modern standards.
My house predates the landfill, so we had leverage. A proper landfill should be OK at 1 mile. Unless they don't do things properly. The stench can be horrible. I assume your house would be on city water. If not run away. I would not take well water from anywhere near a dump.
I'd tread very carefully. Research the history of your dump.
Edit to remove potentially offensive language. sorry
Last edited by dknightd on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:42 pm

If it's an old landfill who knows what's in it? Remember Love Canal? If not, look it up. I wouldn't buy.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Ask a couple of your potential neighbors what it's like today. If it's a problem now it's likely to get worse. If it's not a problem, read the other posts with interest.

I had a house less than a mile from a municipal open air collection/compost area. It never bothered us, but other home owners who were closer complained and got it moved.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Keep in mind that you, a possible buyer, are concerned.

Will there be similar worries when you go to sell in the future?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:24 pm

It is not necessarily a bad idea to buy this house, but it was a bad idea to put in an offer without knowing this. I'd sue the real estate agent who probably suggested a huge earnest offer to go with your offer, right?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

RobertD

Post by RobertD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Interesting dilemma.
I grew up about 1.5 miles from a regional landfill that was on a nearby hill at around the same elevation but with no direct roads between the hills. Could see the trucks dumping their loads pretty clearly by walking up the street for a view.
I don't remember any smell issues except for the time it caught fire for a couple of days.
It eventually reached 100% capacity, was closed, and had one of the nicest regional golf courses built on it. It's kind of fun going to play golf there now if I can get a vendor to pay for it as their green fees are ridiculous otherwise.

View of the landfill now that is too wide for in-line picture:
http://vp.cdn.cityvoterinc.com/GetImage ... 577403.jpg

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Everything is local. I live within 2 miles of a landfill, sewage treatment plant, cemetery, three freeways, many chemical storage sites, a commercial greenhouse, and a military runway. The landfill is right at the 2 mile mark and we've never smelled it. The sewage plant emits odors more often. I also live within 2 miles of a large university, three major hospitals, a hundred restaurants, shopping, 7 grocery stores, parks, walking trails, and many other features people seem to like. I'm guessing there are at least 200,000 people within 3 miles of the blights I listed so for the most part the positives outweigh the negatives.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 am

Felicidades wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:31 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 pm

My primary concern is health effects and how it may affect any children I may have in the future. The secondary concern is the impact it may have on the long term value of the property. I've never smelled anything while being in the neighborhood, but I have seen news reports about residents complaining about odor. There are some homes that are about 300 feet from the landfill.
If the local residents are complaining, then there are issues.

As someone mentioned above, the two things that should be of concern are:

-The garbage trucks that will be going in and out every day. If they are hauling trash from somewhat of a populated area, this could be a concern if you will be travelling on the same roads the trucks are.
-The smell. Sorry, but that smell is not going to magically disappear any time soon.

I, personally, would pass on purchasing the home.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01 am

I was in a similar situation years ago and did not buy. There are too many unknowns (health risks) and knowns (odor issues, resale value) to make this a good idea. I would back out.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:06 am

Everything is local. Tesla headquarters is located a mile from a landfill. We bought in Milpitas a little south of there and the smell of that landfill can be detected. In the summer months on particular hot days with wind in the wrong direction, the sweet sickly smell of decay can be quite strong. It's been a constant battle the residents have had with the municipality on mitigating this for going on 15 years since we've been here. Nothing has been done and I'm afraid nothing will be. There's no place for the trash to go. I can only hope that it will be filled to capacity soon and we end the smell with a dirt cap.

When we bought, the landfill equation was baked into the price. Our home located in highly sought after silicon valley was considerably less than if we had purchased in another city. I'd imagine it is true today as well but I can't tell anymore since everyone's home price has sky rocketed.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:07 am

Truck traffic would be my concern. It never stops.

animule

Post by animule » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 am

You would be wise to avoid buying this house.

One mile away is too close. Google "High Acres Landfill" in Fairport, NY and check out how this landfill began taking enormous quantities of garbage from New York City and has seen a spike in odor incidents. A number of housing developments were built 1 mile away or even closer to this landfill, and many people living that close now regret it.

You have no control over what the landfill owners will do and if they do what the owners of High Acres did, look out.

jminv

Post by jminv » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:19 am

Felicidades wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Since it sounds like a modern landfill, there wouldn’t be health concerns unless the liner system is damaged somehow and, at the same time, the leak detection/groundwater monitoring system is not followed. Neither are likely. Modern liner requirements are stringent and duplicative, sams for monitoring. From a pleasantness perspective, there is the odor factor, which is reduced since modern landfill, and unsightliness of the landfill itself to take into account. Also truck traffic can be bad and malodorous.

The bigger concern is that you probably overbid on the property. If you knew what you knew now, you would likely pay less to acquire the property, if at all. Other informed buyers would bid similarly (resale considerations). Same issue with high voltage power lines, there is a discount factor for property near them.

I would re-evaluate this offer as you likely bid too much.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am

Back out of the deal. If this bothers you now, this will continue to bother you. Peace of mind trumps everything else.

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 am

To me, water quality is the primary issue. If it's well water, that's dangerous due to off-site leaching of heavy metals and contaminants. We had a major battle over an old town landfill that the county took over, with decades of lawsuits, the town cutting off public water service to county facilities at the site, nearby homes condemned. That might not be a concern if modern lining and capping is in place. Methane is often captured and burned off or used to provide heat and energy--the legal settlement here eventually led to some positive outcomes such as a small business incubator using energy on the site and solar panels placed over the capped portion of the landfill, which now looks like a park.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 am

I know some folks who used to live in the neighborhood right next to Mount Trashmore park in Virginia Beach. It's actually been converted for park use, and is the most popular park in the city.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am

lostdog wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am
Back out of the deal. If this bothers you now, this will continue to bother you. Peace of mind trumps everything else.
+1, well said.

Also, the trucks and potential future stench would be enough. Your realtor should have warned you better.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:17 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:24 pm
It is not necessarily a bad idea to buy this house, but it was a bad idea to put in an offer without knowing this. I'd sue the real estate agent who probably suggested a huge earnest offer to go with your offer, right?
What world are you living in? There is no way that case would go anywhere unless OP could prove the realtor knew about the landfill and that they knew buying it would cause monetary or health damages. The first is hard enough to prove, the second nearly impossible.

John Doe 123

Post by John Doe 123 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:17 am
livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:24 pm
What world are you living in? There is no way that case would go anywhere unless OP could prove the realtor knew about the landfill and that they knew buying it would cause monetary or health damages. The first is hard enough to prove, the second nearly impossible.
+1. This is silly advice.

Ultimately only the OP knows how much this will bother him/her. If the primary concern is future children then it is likely wise to chalk it up as a costly lesson and back out of the deal.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am

I'm living in the real world. The point of a lawsuit threat is not to win, but to get real estate agent to reduce their fee in order to have the deal go through if one is stuck in the deal or if one wants to back out and not lose their entire deposit.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am
I'm living in the real world. The point of a lawsuit threat is not to win, but to get real estate agent to reduce their fee in order to have the deal go through if one is stuck in the deal or if one wants to back out and not lose their entire deposit.
Will definitely not work where we are - unfounded lawsuits can be a liability.Of course if there was any foundation for a lwasuit that would be different.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 am

Nope, nope, nope, nope. Best advise from my realtor was "If it worries/concerns you, it will concern a future buyer just as much!"

I wouldn't even buy a house on a main road, let alone 1 mile from a landfill. Withdraw the offer ASAP.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Are there known issues with the landfill? If not, you should be more at ease. In my town, we have this:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local ... -589797741

Fortunately I am far enough away where it does not impact me. Whenever I look at houses for sale, the area near that landfill always seems to have more for sale... We had thought about moving a couple of years ago. Saw the news about that part of town and never went back. We are thankfully 6+ miles from the smell.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Is the house east, west, north, or south of the landfill? In my area, winds generally blow from west to east so I wouldn’t worry if it was east of you.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm

There are many issues involved. One is where and how trash is transported to the "landfill" (used to call these dumps). Will there (or could there) be lots of big trucks in your neighborhood all the time?

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm

livesoft wrote:
Or.......you just back out under your inspection clause and not be ridiculous with the lawsuits.

The more concerning thing is that OP is putting offers in on houses without even knowing what is in the immediate vicinity.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 pm
Ask a couple of your potential neighbors what it's like today.
But keep in mind that some of them may be more concerned with keeping up the value of the houses there than in giving you an accurate assessment of the situation.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 pm

riverguy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm
livesoft wrote:
Or.......you just back out under your inspection clause and not be ridiculous with the lawsuits.

The more concerning thing is that OP is putting offers in on houses without even knowing what is in the immediate vicinity.
It's 1.5 miles away. Is that in the immediate vicinity? I guess it's a matter of perspective and what you're concerned about.

I'm curious what radius you searched around your current home for landfills before buying or leasing. Did you only search for currently open landfills, or did you also look for closed sites, which could take far more research to locate and potentially be a much greater concern if they predate most of our environmental regulations?

It seems to me there is not much information available so far to base recommendations on. How large the landfill is and when it opened both are things to consider. If it's large, it may receive a high volume of trash that means more potential for traffic or odor issues. If it's older, it might not have modern controls for odor or against leaching into the ground water. If it is still accepting waste, as far as I know, it must have some level of control for odor, and quite extensive controls against ground water contamination. It would also be forbidden from accepting heavy metals or other hazardous wastes unless it is specifically approved for hazardous waste disposal (or as a collection point for such material only for transfer to a hazardous waste disposal site) with even more stringent requirements.

Felicidades did indicate that neighbors of some unknown proximity have complained about the smell, but it doesn't sound like they know if the neighbors were 300 feet away, or over a mile away like their potential home is. It could be sufficient grounds for invoking a contingency clause, but I'd really want to know before walking away, and wouldn't expect to get a very large price concession if following through on the purchase.

I don't have a clear recommendation one way or the other, but I disagree with generalized recommendations based on isolated noteworthy or even extreme examples. One person upthread brought up a pre-Depression era landfill used as a dump by a chemical processing company, with a literal oil-tanker's worth of toxic waste buried in it, and subsequently sold and resold to developers who dug away portions of the protective clay cap in the process of building hundreds of homes directly on top of the landfill.

While historically quite interesting, the Love Canal really is not a useful example for considerations that post-date the Clean Water Act and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.

One suggestion that did just occur to me is to knock on the neighbors' doors to meet them and ask what they think of the neighborhood. If they don't mention any downsides, ask if there are any nuisances to consider. If they don't mention the landfill unprompted, ask specifically if they ever notice it.

If they say, "what landfill?" there's almost certainly no reason to be concerned. Otherwise you at least get 1st hand input on how much of a concern, if any, factors like odor, noise, and traffic are. That is far better input than the internet at large can provide.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Use the inspection clause or any other viable clause in the accepted contract. After inspection you can request any item that is old, needs repair, or is not in good shape be repaired/replaced including repainting the exterior and interior, water heater, electric service panel, windows, HVAC, roof, lighting, plumbing, etc. If they do all this you will at least get the house in superb shape. Let them know your post inspection demands immediately, so you don't waste the the seller's time. In most cases seller will refuse what they see as too many demands and you can void the contract.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:06 am
Everything is local. Tesla headquarters is located a mile from a landfill. We bought in Milpitas a little south of there and the smell of that landfill can be detected. In the summer months on particular hot days with wind in the wrong direction, the sweet sickly smell of decay can be quite strong. It's been a constant battle the residents have had with the municipality on mitigating this for going on 15 years since we've been here. Nothing has been done and I'm afraid nothing will be. There's no place for the trash to go. I can only hope that it will be filled to capacity soon and we end the smell with a dirt cap.

When we bought, the landfill equation was baked into the price. Our home located in highly sought after silicon valley was considerably less than if we had purchased in another city. I'd imagine it is true today as well but I can't tell anymore since everyone's home price has sky rocketed.
At least you aren't on a superfund site. Thats is always a plus in the area:) I used to work about a half a mile from that milpitas dump and yeah on a bad day it really hit you hard when you left the building.

Undesirable stuff that you can live with is OK as long as you bake it into your price. If you need to give a 100k discount to sell your house, you better have gotten a nice one when you bought it. The tough part is that the size of the discount can grow and shrink depending on market conditions.

Things to think about. Sure the dump will have traffic. But will it be on roads you are driving? It might turn out that most of the traffic doesn't go near you. Smell? Very tough to evaluate. At like 4 miles, you are unlikely to ever smell anything unless everything lines up. At 1000 feet, yeah your smelling alot. In between you have to make a judgement call.

Between highways, electrical power lines, dumps, airplanes, and who knows what else it is hard to find a perfect house. Got to find something you can live with.

sc9182

Post by sc9182 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm

If you work at/near the dump, your home location may be golden. The short commute, minimal odor compared to work.

Depends. The pretty golf course or that undulating city park may once been a dump, check that out!

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 pm

sc9182 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm
If you work at/near the dump, your home location may be golden. The short commute, minimal odor compared to work. ...
Even better, get a job at the dump.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 am

Sounds like removing household waste, bulky items, and hazardous waste from the garage may be very convenient for you.

Beyond that, did you use a commissioned Realtor to help with your offer? If so, were they unfamiliar with the area, or did they not share their knowledge of the area with you?

Check with folks who live in the neighborhood to see if they experience any issues. If they don’t, you likely won’t either.

A “municipal landfill” will be much lower volume than a super regional commercial landfill operation.

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 am

I ALMOST bought a house near a landfill. On a second visit, I went to go talk with one of the neighbors and it was then that I learned about the landfill. He said the smell wasn't usually bad, but if the wind was right, it could be rough. Also, and this was the real kicker, was that the house was on a hill and had a direct line of sight to the landfill. You couldn't see it visually, but there was nothing to stop the sounds, and it was incredible how loud it was for being so far away. It was an easy no.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 am

Can someone enlighten me because the last time I bought a house was in 1980. I don't remember home inspections being required then, so maybe this is a stupid question. But aren't inspections about the house? What inspection clause allows someone to back out of the deal because there's a landfill a mile away? What about 2 miles? 5 miles? Should the seller be penalized because the buyer didn't do his own inspection of the neighborhood? That would be the first thing I'd do before I started looking at houses in the area.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:08 am

animule wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 am
One mile away is too close. Google "High Acres Landfill" in Fairport, NY and check out how this landfill began taking enormous quantities of garbage from New York City and has seen a spike in odor incidents.
A bit off topic, but WOW that's a long way to transport garbage. Strange that they'd drag it all the way to another metro, when there's hundreds of miles of mostly-uninhabited land in between the two

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:15 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 am
Can someone enlighten me because the last time I bought a house was in 1980. I don't remember home inspections being required then, so maybe this is a stupid question. But aren't inspections about the house? What inspection clause allows someone to back out of the deal because there's a landfill a mile away? What about 2 miles? 5 miles? Should the seller be penalized because the buyer didn't do his own inspection of the neighborhood? That would be the first thing I'd do before I started looking at houses in the area.
I thought the suggestion was to be very picky about the *house* condition inspection (loose doorknobs, creaky floors, single pane windows, poor sealing under doors, something-or-other about plumbing and electric, etc.), and not to use the fill as "the" reason.

We almost always consider that the "inspection contingency" would let us get out of just about anything in an older home, and probably in a new one, too. "Gee, I thought the wood flooring would be 3 inches thick, so x thickness isn't acceptable, would owner re-install all wood flooring to 3 inch thickness [and for good measure, raise the ceilings to accommodate :shock: ] ?" (just kidding, but gets the point across)

But yes, we'd already have a general sense of the neighborhood... but maybe NOT if we are "in town briefly in advance of a major move, and looking for a home"... which is a reason to RENT first when moving to a brand new region.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:56 am

I am originally from a rural area that has a "landfill" that started many decades ago as a "dump" on what was farmland.

Due to financial and political pressure, one risk is that it may be expanded and end up much closer -- and much larger.