Anyone into Essential Oils?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Locked
misterno
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:55 am

Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by misterno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm

So my wife is bugging me about essential oils because she is congested all the time with allergies and because of some stupid facebook page or group she got fascinated with this essential oils idea. basically these oils are pure and organic and you place one drop into a diffuser in your car or house or room and it somehow cause a reaction in your body when you inhale.

Anyway so she told me to buy this Doterra brand Essential Oil Kit which is 225 but I found on ebay for 165 and bought it from there.

https://www.doterra.com/US/en/p/enrollm ... -2016-2017

Since she will keep asking every 3 months or so, I started searching for alternatives. Plant Therapy seems to be cheaper then I went to Whole Foods and saw 3 different brands there some organic some pure but never at the same time. I am looking for all these 10 oils in the kit but both pure and organic and cheaper

I am looking at Amazon and ebay. Any suggestions where I can find more affordable?

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:02 pm

My wife was into these a while back, supposedly they are the miracle cure. There are many Tupperware-style pyramid schemes based on selling these oils, you don't have to look far.

Now she's off the bandwagon due to the cost and because all they really do is make the house smell nice :wink:

arf30
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by arf30 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 pm


User avatar
CaliJim
Posts: 2984
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: California, near the beach

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by CaliJim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 pm

I like to add Tea Tree Oil to my Dr Bronner's. I like the way it smells.

It is against the forum rules to give medical advice... but I'll just say that if essential oils cured allergies... doctors would prescribe it.... and many medicines are based on plants.... so who knows. Maybe have her ask her doctor about it.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

User avatar
c.coyle
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:10 pm
Location: Eastern Pa.

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by c.coyle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:08 pm

misterno wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm
. . . these oils are pure and organic . . .
So are curare and cobra venom.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

TwstdSista
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by TwstdSista » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I just bought some at Target to make my own yoga mat cleaner. I saw some at Walgreens recently as well.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3033
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:16 pm

pro tip: If you learn about it on facebook, 99% chance its bunk.

jebmke
Posts: 8418
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:17 pm

We use a couple to repel mosquitoes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Teague
Posts: 1179
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by Teague » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Is snake oil included in the family of essential oils?
Semper Augustus

Rupert
Posts: 3734
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Just say no, misterno.

User avatar
TierArtz
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by TierArtz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm among those tired of hearing about how natural and organic products have to be better than those intelligently designed by humans. Thus, I paused from my labors to write a toxic acrostic for “Organic” (biotoxins only). The “G” and the “I” were most challenging.

Organic: A Toxic Acrostic

Oleandrin (Oleander toxin)
Ricin (Castor bean toxin)
Gliadin (A wheat protein allegedly the cause of “Wheat Belly”)
Abrin (Rosary pea toxin)
Nicotine (Tobacco toxin)
Insects (Assorted toxins, allergens, and irritants)
Cyanide (Naturally in some seeds – Apple/peach)

I also have fun responding to salespeople in stores (Costco) offering "organic" food samples, by responding: "Oh; is it still safe to eat?
Last edited by TierArtz on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.


retiredjg
Posts: 34168
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by retiredjg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:50 pm

I've used essential oil for years, including many of the doTerra brand. Yes, doTerra is a multi-level market business. You may or may not like this business plan, but that has nothing to do with whether the product is useful or not.

I find several of the doTerra products useful myself. I'm not fond of the business plan though.

As to your wife's allergies...no essential oil will cure an allergy. But many do offer comfort for the symptoms of allergies - in terms of temporarily reducing nasal or lung congestion. To someone with this problem, that relief can be near priceless. Keep this in mind when evaluating how you feel about spending this money.

Relief from an essential oil is nothing different from using things like vapo-rub which has helped many people for many years. In fact, some of the ingredients are often the same that have been used in "remedies" for centuries.

If your wife feels she gets relief from an essential oil, just go with it. It is not going to hurt anything and it is priceless to her. She probably does not need the expensive kit just for allergy symptom relief. Just a few individual oils should do it.

If other brands work for her, that's fine. If other brands don't seem to work, buying doTerra should not break the bank.

I use really cheap essential oils for making the vacuum cleaner and house smell nice. I use a few expensive ones for things that matter to me personally. There's lots of middle ground here. See if you can find it.

daveydoo
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:53 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by daveydoo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm

misterno wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm
So my wife is bugging me about essential oils because she is congested all the time with allergies and because of some stupid facebook page or group she got fascinated with this essential oils idea. basically these oils are pure and organic and you place one drop into a diffuser in your car or house or room and it somehow cause a reaction in your body when you inhale.
I'm so sorry.

Yes, the only way to stop one's reaction to inhaled allergens is to put more &$#@$ in the air one breathes. Pretty sure it works that way...

On the spectrum, this is not too bad. Just keep spouse away from Goop. :D

[this is not medical advice]
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Finridge
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by Finridge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 pm

misterno wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm
So my wife is bugging me about essential oils because she is congested all the time with allergies and because of some stupid facebook page or group she got fascinated with this essential oils idea. basically these oils are pure and organic and you place one drop into a diffuser in your car or house or room and it somehow cause a reaction in your body when you inhale.

Anyway so she told me to buy this Doterra brand Essential Oil Kit which is 225 but I found on ebay for 165 and bought it from there.

https://www.doterra.com/US/en/p/enrollm ... -2016-2017

Since she will keep asking every 3 months or so, I started searching for alternatives. Plant Therapy seems to be cheaper then I went to Whole Foods and saw 3 different brands there some organic some pure but never at the same time. I am looking for all these 10 oils in the kit but both pure and organic and cheaper

I am looking at Amazon and ebay. Any suggestions where I can find more affordable?
You don't ask about whether essential oils will work for your intended purpose, and that is a good thing because that would be off-topic and against the rules here resulting in the this thread being closed or removed. For the same reasons, I am not going to tell you what I think--other than that you should do your "due diligence" on this subject using reputable sources (not stuff that people post on FB, for example).

I will stick to the economic question as to where you can purchase affordable essential oil. Go to Costco and buy a bottle of extra-virgin organic olive oil. It satisfies all the criteria of being an essential oil. It is inexpensive. And you can cook with it!

If your wife wants some other kind of essential oil, than my advice would be to just look around and get the smallest quantity possible from the cheapest available source you can find. Seems that diluting essential oils with a "carrier oil" is a thing, and the good news for you is that it can stretch out the supply that you buy.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 pm

There are only two essential oils: olive oil and motor oil. All the rest are merely grease.

Kennedy
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by Kennedy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 pm

This past summer, my local Costco sold about three different types of essential oils. I would look there. With that said, has your wife really looked into whether the medical claims associated with essential oils are hocus pocus? Personally, I believe it's all hogwash, and I'll leave it at that.

neveragain
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by neveragain » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm

I wouldn't recommend them at all. Since you're asking about more affordable, buy some Febreeze air freshener instead.

Essential oils can be dangerous especially as they can enhance or negate the effects of any pharmaceutical drugs you might be taking. I would not recommend using them at all.

DoTerra is multi-level marketing. I avoid these types of businesses as I don't care for the pressure when they try to recruit. They will often say anything to recruit someone or sell something. Just my opinion. I know people really love being involved in these "businesses" though.

Beensabu
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by Beensabu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Radha essential oils are inexpensive and good quality. You can find them on Amazon.

And you don't need a fancy, expensive diffuser. Just look for the bestseller. It's for a reason. Do not attempt to clean the little metal circle thing in the bottom of any ultrasonic diffuser by wiping/touching it. You will break it and be sad.

goodlifer
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by goodlifer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:55 am

Doterra is really expensive for a tiny amount, and I don't notice any difference in quality compared to cheaper brands. I use a lot of Essential Oil Labs from Amazon. I also have NOW, Strong Oils, GuruNanda, etc. I bought Majestic Pure from Costco and can't say that I was pleased with it. Read all the reviews, try your best to sort out the ones that insist that they know what they are talking about but really don't, and buy small quantities at first. Also, don't have them shipped when it is 90 degrees out, or freezing. They should be kept in the fridge so they don't spoil. Not all oils (hardly any, actually) are pure or organic, or meant to be consumed. Not all are meant for a diffuser. I rarely use one, and it is just to add scent to the house when I do use it. I typically apply it to the skin.

If you want to get her a nice, useful assortment, I would go with lavender (read reviews to see which type you would like because there are quite a few. I prefer Kashmir), Frankincense (again, there are different types. I prefer Boswellia Serrata even though it is supposed to be the cheapest and least effective. It works fine for me), Tea Tree, Peppermint, Rosehip Oil (not Rose oil), lemon, and Thieves oil. Those should cover just about anything you would want to do with an oil to begin with.

Depending on what her allergies are, you might be farther ahead to put that $225 towards a good bagged vacuum and not oils. It helped me a lot, but oils help a lot with other things. Don't knock it until you try it.

mouses
Posts: 3818
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by mouses » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 am

neveragain wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm
I wouldn't recommend them at all. Since you're asking about more affordable, buy some Febreeze air freshener instead.
If she has allergies, Febreze could be a major irritant. It feels like it makes my entire head seize up.

If she like essential oils, why not buy them. Unless $55 a month is going to break the bank.

A Honeywell air purifier may help as well. They have small HEPA ones for about $150.

Cheryl604
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by Cheryl604 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:02 am

I use essential oils for some homemade cleaning products - I often find popular scents? concoctions? on sale in the natural food section of my grocery store.

mouth
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:40 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by mouth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:18 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 pm
There are only two essential oils: olive oil and motor oil. All the rest are merely grease.
I like you. We should party! :sharebeer

stoptothink
Posts: 4458
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:09 am

FWIW, I am a primary researcher in this field with half a dozen peer reviewed publications so far this year and I may or may not work for one of the companies mentioned in this thread. I am not legally allowed to discuss structural/functional issues that essential oils may be of benefit to or make drug-related claims or discuss the novel research that I am working on with some of the most well-known research universities and medical facilities in the world on (and it would be against forum rules, I believe), but I am more than happy to provide references for research on specific topics in this area.

Also, my employer owns several direct primary care medical facilities and is expanding, including currently building a large (conventional) medical clinic on site which will employ quite an impressive staff of medical professionals. You'd be surprised how common the use of essential oils are becoming in conventional medicine and how receptive many physicians are becoming in learning more about them, using them in their practice, and doing clinical research.

neveragain
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by neveragain » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 am

mouses wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 am
neveragain wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm
I wouldn't recommend them at all. Since you're asking about more affordable, buy some Febreeze air freshener instead.
If she has allergies, Febreze could be a major irritant. It feels like it makes my entire head seize up.

If she like essential oils, why not buy them. Unless $55 a month is going to break the bank.
Essential oils can also cause allergic reactions. In fact, they can cause some very severe allergic reactions.

They can also have toxicity when ingested. For example, swallowing eucalyptus oil can cause seizures.

Yes, the oils are from natural sources. But not everything that's "natural" is good for us. It's important to understand the high levels of concentration in these oils.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13016
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by Toons » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:38 am

I use the AirWick plug ins from Sams.
They smell great.
Allergies?
Equate Brand Loratadine.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
djpeteski
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by djpeteski » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 am

To me, the only essential oil is of the olive variety.

User avatar
queso
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by queso » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:09 am

I like Mountain Rose Herbs and run those through a pureguardian spa diffuser (Costco) in my office. My favorite is peppermint to wake me up in the morning, but I have played with a lot of blends. Lavender is nice on a stressful day and you can never go wrong with eucalyptus. I get a lot of compliments on how nice my office smells. :happy

My wife was using them to make cosmetics and stuff and when she tired of that I inherited a whole box of them and didn't want to throw them out.

alfaspider
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by alfaspider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 am

neveragain wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 am
mouses wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 am
neveragain wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 pm
I wouldn't recommend them at all. Since you're asking about more affordable, buy some Febreeze air freshener instead.
If she has allergies, Febreze could be a major irritant. It feels like it makes my entire head seize up.

If she like essential oils, why not buy them. Unless $55 a month is going to break the bank.
Essential oils can also cause allergic reactions. In fact, they can cause some very severe allergic reactions.

They can also have toxicity when ingested. For example, swallowing eucalyptus oil can cause seizures.

Yes, the oils are from natural sources. But not everything that's "natural" is good for us. It's important to understand the high levels of concentration in these oils.
Yes, it's important to remember that plenty of completely "natural" things are deadly poisons. Hemlock, for example.

meens888
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by meens888 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:33 am

There is nothing essential about essential oils. They should really be called oils with essence. If you like the smell- great-buy it. Nothing wrong with liking an scent and using it. But know that essential oils are well documented to be a major allergen and again are well documented to cause things such as contact dermatitis. They will not cure your allergy as that is caused by an inappropriate immune response to a safe compound your body views as "dangerous".

If you wife has a lot of allergies, I recommend finding what it is to and reducing that in your life. Vacuuming more often, changing carpet to hard surface, doing ragweed control in yard, etc would be a better investment in your health.

As far as the above person stating that medical doctors are know using this for treatments- no they aren't. The evidence does not support it and the whole idea of integrating pseudo science with real science is just to appease the general public who fall for these scams as it helps increase their compliance with real medicine by integrating it with junk- which I am completely against. The public should be educated with accurate information not coddled into thinking their scammy pseudoscientific claims are real.

UncleBen
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by UncleBen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 am

DoTerra and Young Liviing are the 2 big MLM companies that sell "the best" and expensive oils.

There are many companies that sell high (and sometimes higher) quality oils for much better prices. Very affordable are Eden's Garden and Plant Therapy. Reasonable and highly regarded companies are Rocky Mountain Oils, Mountain Rose Herbs, and Florihana-usa.com. There are others but those are the one's I'm familiar with. Florihana oils are really nice and they distill their own oils. If you make a $100 purchase the shipping from France is free.

I think EO do some things touted and others, not. Also, check out usingeasafely.com for safety precautions.

neveragain
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by neveragain » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 am

meens888 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:33 am
As far as the above person stating that medical doctors are know using this for treatments- no they aren't. The evidence does not support it and the whole idea of integrating pseudo science with real science is just to appease the general public who fall for these scams as it helps increase their compliance with real medicine by integrating it with junk- which I am completely against. The public should be educated with accurate information not coddled into thinking their scammy pseudoscientific claims are real.
Right. I don't know of any medical doctors who recommend EOs. This sounds like something that people who work in the MLM will say. "Doctor use them!" No, they don't. I'm sure that licensed naturopaths use EOs and I guess that's okay as long as they know the patient's health history and any medications they're on. Sadly so many people fall for pseudoscience like the foot bath detox hoax, which is a prime example. It's a proven hoax.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18600
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am

CaliJim wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 pm
I like to add Tea Tree Oil to my Dr Bronner's.
I buy Dr. Bronner's with tea-tree oil, "18-in-1 Hemp Tea Tree Pure-Castile Soap."

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

inbox788
Posts: 5649
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by inbox788 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am

I'm allergic to many of these so called essential oils. YMMV

stoptothink
Posts: 4458
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 am

meens888 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:33 am
As far as the above person stating that medical doctors are know using this for treatments- no they aren't. The evidence does not support it and the whole idea of integrating pseudo science with real science is just to appease the general public who fall for these scams as it helps increase their compliance with real medicine by integrating it with junk- which I am completely against. The public should be educated with accurate information not coddled into thinking their scammy pseudoscientific claims are real.
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that you are wrong...because, well, I am currently within near high-five distance of a handful of physicians who use them in their clinical practice. They are currently being used at what is likely the most well known medical facility on the planet. I know because I am doing a collaborative clinical trial with physicians on their staff, we expect to publish data within the next 12 months. They are also being used at many other medical facilities which I guarantee you know by name; again, because I am doing collaborative research with them. They are also used extensively in the private medical clinics, which employ board-certified and licensed physicians, that my employer owns. We also have a developed a database of the current human clinical research, solely for use of physicians in our clinics. They are not "medicine", nor is it legal to market or speak of them as such, but as far as their usage in modern medicine; I am literally on the frontline of that happening. For obvious reasons I will not go any further than that and am not up for getting into a debate regarding an industry where I am a known researcher.

Feel free to PM me for peer-reviewed research.
Last edited by stoptothink on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

meens888
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by meens888 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:54 am

I assume you are part of the John Hopkins team then. Well I am sure they are using these oils to find out what they do and what they don't do. The fact that "alternate therapies" have some effect isn't the question here. The placebo effect is also worth using sometimes :)

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine. Sure we can learn from "natural or ancient remedies". After all penicillin was first discovered by yeast contamination of bacterial plates. Aspirin was discovered from willow bark etc. However, claiming that EO's work on allergies is not proven. Will it one day be proven to do so? Maybe. I will wait for the published results.

stoptothink
Posts: 4458
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am

meens888 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:54 am
I assume you are part of the John Hopkins team then.
I may or may not be :wink:

randomguy
Posts: 6496
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by randomguy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 am
meens888 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:33 am
As far as the above person stating that medical doctors are know using this for treatments- no they aren't. The evidence does not support it and the whole idea of integrating pseudo science with real science is just to appease the general public who fall for these scams as it helps increase their compliance with real medicine by integrating it with junk- which I am completely against. The public should be educated with accurate information not coddled into thinking their scammy pseudoscientific claims are real.
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that you are wrong...because, well, I am currently within near high-five distance of a handful of physicians who use them in their clinical practice. They are currently being used at what is likely the most well known medical facility on the planet.
Medical doctors are not immune to the appeal of quackery. See Doctor Oz and Reike and weight loss beans for a high profile case. In the end doctors are still humans. I am pretty confident that 95% of the claims that the essential oil people make are well off in fantasy land. Seriously some of them are basically Lazarus level healing from vaporizing a couple of drops:). The question is will the studies show any with meaningful results for that last 5% and what are the side effects. Over time we will get enough studies to make an evidenced based evaluation. Granted that probably doesn't matter much. Study doesn't prove something you talk about the improper dosing levels or something. It is really hard to show something doesn't work to a true believer.

amazonchic
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:58 pm
Location: Green Bay, WI
Contact:

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by amazonchic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I use Eden's Garden brand essential oils because they are a fraction of the price of doTerra and Young Living yet are reputed to be as good of quality.

I use them for aroma and mood. I don't know or care about medicinal use (at this point). I may care in the future if I have a medicinal need and they work well for that.

I am not a fan of any multi-level marketing products because they are usually overpriced for any increased value. I don't find they have ROI.

You can buy direct from Eden's Garden or buy on Amazon. Their prices are so much lower because they don't have to sell through a middle-man. If you care, people who use both do say their quality is comparable to doTerra and Young Living. I like the price.

User avatar
EddieGee
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by EddieGee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:13 pm

I put Pennzoil into my car every 3000 miles. I find it absolutely essential to the long term reliability of the vehicle.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48595
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Anyone into Essential Oils?

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 pm

^^^ :)

=============
This thread has run its course and is locked (disagreements on health benefits, which is medical advice). The reasons medical advice is not permitted in this forum:

1. This is an anonymous internet forum. It is not possible to verify anyone's identity (nor do we want to). Credentials also imply accurate advice, which may not always be the case.
2. There can be disagreement among experts, which can be harmful if someone is basing a medical decision on the advice.
3. A member's description may be incomplete.
4. Readers will misinterpret the member's description.
5. Readers will misinterpret the given advice.

Since real harm can be done, we do not permit medical advice and is the reason for the first sentence in: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Locked