iPhone XS Max

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Youngblood

Re: iPhone XS Max

Post by Youngblood » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:37 pm
Youngblood wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:25 pm
BTW, do most people recommend getting some kind of protective cover for this phone? If so, what did you suggest? I really don't want to make this phone bigger.
YB
I've always had great experiences with Speck cases. They're minimal, but can be quite protective. An Otterbox will give you better protection, but they will also certainly add bulk.

I was also surprised to hear you say Pandora sounds good. I find Pandora sounds noticably worse over my car's audio compared to Apple Music. I'm sure this is because the free Pandora version offers lower quality audio than Apple Music. I'm currently doing the 3-month trial of Apple Music. You may give that a try if you ever experience the same poor sound quality I experience.

Congrats on the new phone! :beer
Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely take a look. In regards to Pandora, I was only comparing Pandora Bluetooth connection between Nexus and iPhone. I wish I knew why.

:D
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Youngblood wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
Youngblood wrote:
BTW, do most people recommend getting some kind of protective cover for this phone? If so, what did you suggest? I really don't want to make this phone bigger.
YB
I've always had great experiences with Speck cases. They're minimal, but can be quite protective. An Otterbox will give you better protection, but they will also certainly add bulk.

I was also surprised to hear you say Pandora sounds good. I find Pandora sounds noticably worse over my car's audio compared to Apple Music. I'm sure this is because the free Pandora version offers lower quality audio than Apple Music. I'm currently doing the 3-month trial of Apple Music. You may give that a try if you ever experience the same poor sound quality I experience.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely take a look. In regards to Pandora, I was only comparing Pandora Bluetooth connection between Nexus and iPhone. I wish I knew why.

:D
Gotcha. All the more reason for me to stick with iPhone. Who knows how crappy my free Pandora would sound coming from an Android?! :wink:
"Knowledge and innocence are both excellent things, and they are both very funny. But it is right that knowledge should be the servant and innocence the master." - GK Chesterton

Cash

Post by Cash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Youngblood wrote:
YB
I had the Caudabe Lucid Clear case in crystal for my X and bought it again for my Max. It is the thinnest case I could find that also has good protection.

SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:49 pm

I just received my over-priced iPhone XS... unbelievable upgrade from the iPhone 5s, which was pretty much damn unusable outside of WIFI areas.
If you take family pics, the camera rivals a $700 Nikon for portraits. Stunning.
My only regrets are:

1) Not upgrading sooner (3-4 years probably sweet spot)
2) Not buying $1k Apple stock with every major Apple purchase in the last decade
3) Even with great T-mobile discount, I'm not happy with their spotty service. My suggestion would be to:

- Pay for 2 new iPhone XR unlocked
- Goto Verizon, and sign up for pre-paid service plan

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 pm
Gotcha. All the more reason for me to stick with iPhone. Who knows how crappy my free Pandora would sound coming from an Android?! :wink:
Quite a bit better, in many cases, seeing as most Android handsets have supported the much higher-quality AptX standard for a few years now, and Apple refuses to.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:00 pm

SuperSaver wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:49 pm
I just received my over-priced iPhone XS... unbelievable upgrade from the iPhone 5s, which was pretty much damn unusable outside of WIFI areas.
If you take family pics, the camera rivals a $700 Nikon for portraits. Stunning.
My only regrets are:

2) Not buying $1k Apple stock with every major Apple purchase in the last decade
3) Even with great T-mobile discount, I'm not happy with their spotty service. My suggestion would be to:

https://youtu.be/hHGAg5NxGIc

Xs has slightly better low-light, better dynamic range, not much different than the X and note 9. Meh... Definitely not beating my dslr anytime soon #fakenews lmao...

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

Cash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:48 pm
Youngblood wrote:
YB
I had the Caudabe Lucid Clear case in crystal for my X and bought it again for my Max. It is the thinnest case I could find that also has good protection.
Nice suggestion, thanks. How does it feel when holding? I do not like slick cases as they tend to slip in my hands or when I put it down somewhere in my car.

I currently have an otterbox commuter that was sold as compatible for the Xs but it seems to be blocking some of the speaker holes. No biggie but it's not fully compatible I think. Also has a slick exterior which i don't like.
Last edited by new2bogle on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:00 pm

SuperSaver wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:49 pm
My only regrets are:

Interesting take. I got my Xs last week. The camera is much better than my iPhone 7. That is pretty much all it is good for over the 7.

The screen is noticeably different. I guess one can say "better" but the iPhone 7 screen was pretty nice for a phone.

I got the $700 off for 2 iPhone Xs deal also. I came from Verizon with my iPhone 7's. So far, coverage has been the same. Tmobile is faster for sure (I noticed that when going from iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 when I went from Tmobile -> Verizon... yes, I change carriers as needed for deals). My first road trip with the new phone is this weekend, so I'll see how good coverage has gotten outside of city limits. (3-4 years ago there were 2 dead spots on the highway (not interstate) in the countryside). Hoping the 600MHz band helps.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 pm

For anyone with the Xs, what kind of battery life are you getting? Hasn't even been a week, I know, but there are some reports that battery life is worse than the X. I'm wondering if on a real-world basis (not some youtube tester) people are getting worse battery life because they're playing with the new "toy" more often than they would normally play with their old phone.
"Knowledge and innocence are both excellent things, and they are both very funny. But it is right that knowledge should be the servant and innocence the master." - GK Chesterton

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 pm
For anyone with the Xs, what kind of battery life are you getting? Hasn't even been a week, I know, but there are some reports that battery life is worse than the X. I'm wondering if on a real-world basis (not some youtube tester) people are getting worse battery life because they're playing with the new "toy" more often than they would normally play with their old phone.
I am getting better battery life than my iPhone 7, but that was expected since the 7 potentially had the bad battery problem. And I'm comparing it to when it was 2 years old. But, Xs battery life is far from great. Expect less than a days worth under heavy use. It also gets noticeably hotter than my 7 ever did - I wonder if this is due to the modem manufacturer change?

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm
As many of you remember, I bought an iPhoneX last year to replace my old iPhone7Plus. I have been disappointed in the size of this phone, as compared to the older, more robust ("bigger") PLUS phone. It's hard t read with the X but I had no trouble doing so on my 7Plus.

OK, so I'm willing to suck it up and pay the juice for a new iPhoneXSMAX. How will the size compare to the iPhone 7PLUS? And when can I get it?
Addition: I guess these should be called "Excess Plus" or "Tennis Plus" phones.
That makes more sense than "Extra Small Max"

Cash

Post by Cash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:58 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am
Cash wrote:
Youngblood wrote:
YB
Nice suggestion, thanks. How does it feel when holding? I do not like slick cases as they tend to slip in my hands or when I put it down somewhere in my car.

I currently have an otterbox commuter that was sold as compatible for the Xs but it seems to be blocking some of the speaker holes. No biggie but it's not fully compatible I think. Also has a slick exterior which i don't like.
Ah yes it is pretty slick. My wife, who drops her phone all the time, does not like my case for that reason.

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:36 am

FYI the revamped Chrome app makes single handed web browsing even easier by putting all of the controls on the bottom half of the screen. Safari does a pretty good job of this, but fails with the refresh button and search bar.

jjface

Post by jjface » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:54 am

Youngblood wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:16 pm
My Nexus 6p which was three years old needed a new battery. I took it to Batteries + and from then on it would only work on Wi-Fi. In the past I have had a two Samsung Galaxies and a few Tracfones.

Yesterday, I purchased the Xs. The Nexus 6p (about the size of the Max) was too large for me and when I held them both, the Xs was just perfect.
I'm just on day two but setup and transferring contacts and calendar from both the android phone and Windows went without a hitch. Bluetooth pairing with both the truck and my Fitbit perfect. The Fitbit updates faster, Pandora on the car's speakers sound so much better than the Nexus did. The speakers on the iPhone Xs sound much better for both music and podcasts. So fast, so beautiful, I'm actually regretful that I didn't go with an iPhone before this.
Of course it is better than a 3yr old phone The 6p came out at the same time as the iphone 6s plus.
Last edited by jjface on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:02 am

Went from a 6 to a Xs mostly because the older phone was starting to feel too sluggish. New phone addresses that. I do miss the home button, touch ID, and the battery percentage on the home display without a swipe. A lot more swiping on a X/Xs than a 6/7/8. I use AT&T wireless network at work not WiFi and do need to top up the charge before I go to bed (I do not run it down below 30%). Also not happy that the Xs unlike our older iPhones and iPad locks to 2.4 GHz WiFI not 5 GHz which has very good WiFi mesh coverage. Hopefully Apple fixes that in a software update. LTE signal strength measured by bars about the same. Speedtest results on wireless fine (I don't stream video on wireless so I might not notice).

jjface

Post by jjface » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 am

wabbajack wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:54 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 pm
I always find it funny when people get all uppity about the new iPhones. The fact is that the phone is likely the number 1 used piece of equipment/device/accessory/etc. by nearly everyone in the country besides their bed.

If you think it is too expensive just buy a cheaper alternative, but don’t complain about the price. You know going in you’re buying a luxury device that also performs very well. You can drive to work in a 20 year old Corolla or a brand new Tesla. The end result is the same, but the experience is vastly different.
Emphasis mine.
I like this. I think it's hilarious that people get upset over how others spend money - which affects them in no way at all. I used to know people like this.
My iPhone X is the perfect size and does everything I want it to. I bought it for $1k on launch day. I think that if you can find one for $800 today, it's probably the best value proposition.

Apple knows this, which is why they have officially stopped selling it.
No one is getting upset. This is a personal finance forum so if you want to justify your purchase you'll get the flip side which is how overpriced iphones are for what you get. Buying a brand new iphone these days is a splurge. But yes it is your splurge so go for it if you want. Have fun with it.

But no it isn't like you are driving a tesla now. You simply bought the latest corolla and overpaid for it. Got taken by the salesman. Should have stuck with your 2 yr old corolla that looks and works great or bought a civic at the nice dealer next door.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:21 am

jjface wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 am
No one is getting upset. This is a personal finance forum so if you want to justify your purchase you'll get the flip side which is how overpriced iphones are for what you get. Buying a brand new iphone these days is a splurge. But yes it is your splurge so go for it if you want. Have fun with it.

But no it isn't like you are driving a tesla now. You simply bought the latest corolla and overpaid for it. Got taken by the salesman. Should have stuck with your 2 yr old corolla or bought a civic.
Oh there are a good number of people shaking their heads and pooh-poohing on the iPhone. My point was on how silly that is. It may not be a tesla to you, and that's fine. Don't need to make it personal. Enjoy your phone, whatever it is.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:08 am

jjface wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:54 am
Youngblood wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:16 pm
My Nexus 6p which was three years old needed a new battery. I took it to Batteries + and from then on it would only work on Wi-Fi. In the past I have had a two Samsung Galaxies and a few Tracfones.

Yesterday, I purchased the Xs. The Nexus 6p (about the size of the Max) was too large for me and when I held them both, the Xs was just perfect.
I'm just on day two but setup and transferring contacts and calendar from both the android phone and Windows went without a hitch. Bluetooth pairing with both the truck and my Fitbit perfect. The Fitbit updates faster, Pandora on the car's speakers sound so much better than the Nexus did. The speakers on the iPhone Xs sound much better for both music and podcasts. So fast, so beautiful, I'm actually regretful that I didn't go with an iPhone before this.
Of course it is better than a 3yr old phone The 6p came out at the same time as the iphone 6s plus.
Of course.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Cash wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:58 pm
new2bogle wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am
Cash wrote:
Youngblood wrote:
YB

Ah yes it is pretty slick. My wife, who drops her phone all the time, does not like my case for that reason.
FYI I just received my Totallee case (clear, glossy), which I'm going to keep as a backup, and it is pretty grippy. It's soft TPU, not hard like the Caudabe case. I still prefer the Caudabe, but the Totallee is a great option.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:21 pm

They really should bump minimum storage from 64GB to 128GB. At least the $100 upgrade goes to 256GB though.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm

SchruteB&B wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 pm
finite_difference wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm
bankerbilo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:49 pm
Here is a comparison of different sizes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm68Kk1W0AEY2UF.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

I have a 6S, which is the same size as the 7, and that is a bit too big for me. I want the iPhone SE size, except with a bigger OLED screen (so less bezel), and a big battery.

Also, I think if the phone is too thin it seems not as comfortable to hold sometimes.

I’d prefer to have a smaller phone + iPad rather than a bigger phone that does it all. But I guess I’m in the minority.
I agree with you! I want the SE improved just as you described and a separate Ipad.
So there’s at least 2 of us!

I’m waiting for the OLED iPad.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm
SchruteB&B wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 pm
finite_difference wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm
bankerbilo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:49 pm
Here is a comparison of different sizes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm68Kk1W0AEY2UF.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

I have a 6S, which is the same size as the 7, and that is a bit too big for me. I want the iPhone SE size, except with a bigger OLED screen (so less bezel), and a big battery.

Also, I think if the phone is too thin it seems not as comfortable to hold sometimes.

I’d prefer to have a smaller phone + iPad rather than a bigger phone that does it all. But I guess I’m in the minority.
I agree with you! I want the SE improved just as you described and a separate Ipad.
So there’s at least 2 of us!

I’m waiting for the OLED iPad.
Count me in the same minority! Isn't Apple making the same or more when we buy 2 devices vs. just one? Currently using iPhone SE and iPad Air 2.

IMO, it's the best small phone out there, but someone will try to fill in the gap if they don't.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-xperi ... ct-review/

https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?n ... hs=5,6,7,8

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:07 pm

eddot98 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm
cusetownusa wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 pm
knpstr wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm
They're the most valuable company on the planet for a reason! $1100 for a smart phone is just ludicrous for a lot of people. That's MacBook territory. I'm interested to see if the "cheapo" version (iPhone Xr: $750) sells better. Lots of consumer psychology in how to choose.
I think for quite a few, their phones are becoming their "computers". That's why there are ever larger screen sizes being released.

I should say that the iPhone 8 I bought was effectively $550. It was $748 with tax and $200 rebate.
This would apply to me...I use my phone for everything and don't even have a home computer any more. The only time I need a computer is when at work using my work computer.

I have a 6s that still works but when the time comes I will probably get the X max of whatever year it happens to be...I use my phone for everything and the bigger screen would be nice. Ideally I would like the phones to get so powerful that I could just dock it at work our home when I need to do more involved work related stuff that needs a big screen, keyboard, and mouse. We are probably not that far off from that.
You never have to write a letter or scan a document to send it by email to someone? Lucky you! When I can do that on an iPhone or even an iPad, then I can think about getting rid of my desktop. But wait, where would I store and easily access my 1 TB worth of music files?
Ever hear of the cloud?
Last edited by wfrobinette on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:15 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:24 pm
still confused how a few milliseconds faster matters to most people...yet so many use this argument. IMO is just a justification to buy the new shiny toy.
It's also water resistant to 2 M.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:16 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 pm
I always find it funny when people get all uppity about the new iPhones. The fact is that the phone is likely the number 1 used piece of equipment/device/accessory/etc. by nearly everyone in the country besides their bed.

If you think it is too expensive just buy a cheaper alternative, but don’t complain about the price. You know going in you’re buying a luxury device that also performs very well. You can drive to work in a 20 year old Corolla or a brand new Tesla. The end result is the same, but the experience is vastly different.
I disagree....what does the new iphone do that is needed that an older model can't? ...Not buying the speed difference because it's nominal.
Waterproof to 2M for 30 minutes.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:22 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:21 pm
They really should bump minimum storage from 64GB to 128GB. At least the $100 upgrade goes to 256GB though.
Sales guy tried to talk me down to 64gb. With the LTE speeds increasing and 5G on the horizon the cloud may be were most things are stored even for mobile devices.

Cash

Post by Cash » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:57 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:07 pm
eddot98 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm

You never have to write a letter or scan a document to send it by email to someone? Lucky you! When I can do that on an iPhone or even an iPad, then I can think about getting rid of my desktop. But wait, where would I store and easily access my 1 TB worth of music files?
Ever hear of the cloud?
Right. Plus I’ve been scanning and emailing from my phone for years. Download the Tiny Scanner app. You can also send docs directly to printers from your phone these days.

Momus

Post by Momus » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 pm

#chargegate #sneakybeautygate :D

Hope it doesn't affect your new phone. But, Apple won't acknowledge any fault anyway >_>;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndphYju6PVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_lRJuQtBmc

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:

Or, if you have Amazon Prime, try Amazon Music. It's included and streams at a high bitrate (if enabled in settings...)

One caveat: If you have family share for Prime, the music subscription only works on the primary account and only with one stream at a time.

---
As for the XS Max- I tried one, and it made me dizzy. I'm sensitive to flickering LED lights, screens, etc. and Apple's OLED displays flicker at a low 240Hz.

That leaves the XR as the only viable new option for me, but it's too big- so I bought a used iPhone 8. It lacks band 71 - and I'm on T-Mobile - but I consider the size tradeoff worth it.

My old 6s is honestly still VERY good, but it's a 16GB model and I'm out of space...

serioussam

Post by serioussam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 pm

Just curious if you have measured the productivity increase as a result of this purchase. If it's just a matter of changing your muscle memory to suit a smaller sized phone as the iPhone X, I would just bite it and stay put without making this purchase. 1.1 grand is a large sum of money by any means not considering taxes.

I'm just frustrated that Apple didn't choose to continue the iPhone SE series. IMO it was the best smartphone out there, period.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:34 am

Momus wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Hope it doesn't affect your new phone. But, Apple won't acknowledge any fault anyway >_>;

I haven’t heard of #chargegate but there is a nice write up regarding #sneakbeautygate at https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xs-why-i ... f9780d714c
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

Momus

Post by Momus » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 am

KarenC wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:34 am
Momus wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 pm

I haven’t heard of #chargegate but there is a nice write up regarding #sneakbeautygate at https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xs-why-i ... f9780d714c
It's a good camera but you CAN'T turn off #beautygate, turning off smartHDR won't do nothing.

https://youtu.be/Q3GGdtn9poo

Pretty artificial looking selfie with its always On smoothening effect. This beauty mode is really popular in Asian markets, they want to appeal to Chinese customers. Apple should really give the option to turn this off. It's bad.