Do you use social media to enhance your travel experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

Do you use social media to enhance your travel experience?

Post by flyingaway »

I took 8 months off my work and intended to experience retirement life. As I said before, (long-term) travel seems to be the only thing that I could not do conveniently with my job. In the past 8 months, I travelled to 11 countries, several times to a few countries.
Although I enjoyed my travel experience, different culture, food, weather, scenes, etc. I am in my middle 50s, not as excited as younger travelers to meet new people.
After I come back, I felt that the experience became history and memory. I do have a few thousand pictures in my two phones, but I still question if those travels are worth my time, energy, and money.
My questions to other people who like to or plan to travel a lot:
(1) How do you feel about your travel experience AFTER the travels?
(2) Do you use social media, such as Facebook, Instagram, or writing blogs, to enhance (and share) your travel experience?
(3) Do you think sharing your travel experience (with friends and strangers) make your travel more rewarding?
(4) How much time and energy do you invest to those efforts?
(5) Do you intend to make a monetary profit out of those efforts?
(Reading other people's travel blogs, youtube videos, and pictures does make me want to travel more).
tim1999

Re: Do you use social media to enhance your travel experience?

Post by tim1999 »

I take few photos if any on trips and don’t share anything on any form of social media other than occasionally posting reviews on Yelp using a fake name.

I don’t have a need to derive satisfaction out of posting my travels for all to see, in some game of “look at how cool I am” one-upmanship.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

I do enjoy writing a recap of my trips, but I write them for me and have never posted anything on social media. The last couple of big trips, my wife and I have co-written these recaps on the long flights home. I re-read my recaps every so often (usually when I come across them by accident) and always enjoy it.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Sometimes we post photos for friends and family to see.

I like when my friends and family share photos of their lives.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Similar age.
Love travel and cherish the experience.

I may try to share experiences more widely when I'm retired - more to keep my mind active and less about $.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I guess it's ever evolving for me.

10 years ago I would upload hundreds of photos each trip (from a digital camera), treating Facebook as an online slideshow.

As of late I now only post a few highlight pics from my iPhone to Instagram and Facebook. Usually in real-time, sometimes after the fact. When I get home, I'll usually post a comprehensive album on Flickr to share with family and friends. Part of it is also managing risk, broadcasting that you are out of the country for weeks at a time probably isn't a great idea.

Social media and the use of technology has been an ongoing point of contention between my girlfriend and myself so I've just recently deactivated all of my social media profiles except for LinkedIn to simplify my life and take a volatile issue off of the table. It's freed up a lot of time for me that I now use to catch up on reading but have no idea what my casual friends and/or acquaintances are up to.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

To me, things have changed. When I was younger, people used to go on trips and then present their trip to others upon their return in a slideshow format. I think mainly this was because those seeing the pictures, were unlikely to go to those distant especially foreign places and so seeing the slideshow might be their only opportunity to see these places. This pictures were mainly scenery pictures.

Now with cheaper airfares and social media, most people have already seen hundreds of scene pictures already of where you have vacationed and aren't interested in a slideshow. What seems to be more interesting now are the smaller aspects of the trip such as what food you ate, what you saw someone doing that was unusual to see back home, etc. These kinds of pictures seem best presented in real time via social media than all at once where the number of pictures drown out the details.

So these days, I typically post pictures in "real time". (Note: I post them in real time as they occurred upon my return to thwart would be thieves from taking advantage of me while I'm gone.) For really long or memorable trips, we will sometimes create a photo album book using Shutterfly or similar online company so that we can look through them from time to time or loan out to others heading to the same place later on. I find that the printed out photo albums get a lot more use than my computer hard drive or phone photo album.
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Granted I am not a very social person - for the most part keep to my self. But here is my view: I have no interest in reading other peoples travel log and assume nobody would have an interest in mine. I am interested (sort of) in hearing tricks of the trade so to speak (securing obscure reservations, hiking in difficult terrain or conditioons that sort of thing). I have linkedin & facebook and am amazed at the silly things people post there. I would kill those accounts in a minute except it might upset immediate family & some local friends. I am a paper map oriented person. Keeping a paper map possibly with route traced would be the extent of a personal log.
researcher

Post by researcher »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am Although I enjoyed my travel experience, I am in my middle 50s, not as excited as younger travelers to meet new people.
After I come back, I felt that the experience became history and memory. I still question if those travels are worth my time, energy, and money.

(2) Do you use social media, such as Facebook, Instagram, or writing blogs, to enhance (and share) your travel experience?
(3) Do you think sharing your travel experience (with friends and strangers) make your travel more rewarding?
From your description, it doesn't sound like you enjoy extensive travel all that much.
Is there a reason you feel compelled to keep doing it?

How would "sharing" (i.e. bragging) about your travel to "strangers" on social media make it "worth your time, energy, and money"?

I don't think putting your travel on the internet is a healthy/effective way to make travel "more rewarding", if you don't value/cherish/get excited about the experiences on your own.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

1) It depends on the trip but often, I feel it was money well spent.
2) I don't use social media. Went vacationing with sister and saw her constantly holding a phone in front of her. I thought she was missing out on the views by putting her back to it to take a selfie. Then at the hotel she stays up late uploading. I go to sleep so I am well rested for tomorrow's sights.
3) Absolutely sharing makes the experience better. We can reminisce together. I think you're talking about sharing online, though. I'm talking about sharing in person at a get-together.
4) Zero effort to talk to friends and family. I think you're talking about uploading to social media again. I already talked about what my sister does.
5) When I retire and travel for fun, I'll probably write and blog about it. Everything you hear about blogging and vlogging is the same as sports athletes and movie stars. The chances of you going viral and making any significant amount of money doing it is slim to none. If you do it, do it because you love it. I'll blog about my travels if it's fun to do so. When it ceases to be fun, then I will just travel and only people in front of me will hear about it.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am My questions to other people who like to or plan to travel a lot:
(Reading other people's travel blogs, youtube videos, and pictures does make me want to travel more).
1) Mostly satisfying. We've never regretted we had taken a trip but we've never gone to 11 countries in 8 months like you did.
2) My wife post a few pics on her Facebook during our trips and I write a blog afterwards. My way of paying it forward.
3) Sharing our experience doesn't make our travel more or less rewarding.
4) I take good notes of I what I do on our trips so recapping them doesn't take much time at all. I would say I spend 15 minutes writing and adding pictures to my blog for each day of travel. Our kids and our friends seem to enjoy reading them
5) No.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

researcher wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 am
flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am Although I enjoyed my travel experience, I am in my middle 50s, not as excited as younger travelers to meet new people.
After I come back, I felt that the experience became history and memory. I still question if those travels are worth my time, energy, and money.

From your description, it doesn't sound like you enjoy extensive travel all that much.
Is there a reason you feel compelled to keep doing it?

How would "sharing" (i.e. bragging) about your travel to "strangers" on social media make it "worth your time, energy, and money"?

I don't think putting your travel on the internet is a healthy/effective way to make travel "more rewarding", if you don't value/cherish/get excited about the experiences on your own.
Yes. Trying to find something to retire (to).
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I view travel as an opportunity to get away from social media.

Travel IS the experience. I am struggling to see how social media could enhance it. For me. YMMV, obviously.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:10 am To me, things have changed. When I was younger, people used to go on trips and then present their trip to others upon their return in a slideshow format. I think mainly this was because those seeing the pictures, were unlikely to go to those distant especially foreign places and so seeing the slideshow might be their only opportunity to see these places. This pictures were mainly scenery pictures.

Now with cheaper airfares and social media, most people have already seen hundreds of scene pictures already of where you have vacationed and aren't interested in a slideshow. What seems to be more interesting now are the smaller aspects of the trip such as what food you ate, what you saw someone doing that was unusual to see back home, etc. These kinds of pictures seem best presented in real time via social media than all at once where the number of pictures drown out the details.

So these days, I typically post pictures in "real time". (Note: I post them in real time as they occurred upon my return to thwart would be thieves from taking advantage of me while I'm gone.) For really long or memorable trips, we will sometimes create a photo album book using Shutterfly or similar online company so that we can look through them from time to time or loan out to others heading to the same place later on. I find that the printed out photo albums get a lot more use than my computer hard drive or phone photo album.
I also do "real time" picture posting and story writing with Twitter like instant media, which does not keep after some time, and only within friends and family members.
I am now thinking to enlarge the sharing circle with something that may be kept for a long time, and communicating with others similar minded to exchange travel experience.
vveat

Post by vveat »

I post select pictures in real time or later that day. Usually 1-2 with something funny/interesting to say about the experience. I like seeing others post in real time, but have no patience for looking through multiple pictures on same post (i.e. treat others as you would like to be treated)

Bonus points for me is that the best pictures are easy to find and presorted. I can never find what I am looking for in the big pile on my phone, and I go around to printing pictures maybe once a year (pre-holidays).

Facebook is my only social media presence, and it's all about keeping track of hat friends are doing, not for news or opinions, hence the travel photos fit well in for me. YMMV.
bdaniel58

Post by bdaniel58 »

I am a software geek who loves gadgets and I have my own website. I like to track my travels with a GPS unit and show tracklogs on Google maps. I use an app on my phone that updates my position on a map on my website about every 10 minutes. I've made two cross country motorcycle trips without my wife and she was able see where I was at any time by looking at a map on my website. I even wrote an Alexa skill so she could just ask Alexa where I was and Alexa would check the latest coordinates for me and tell her where I was.

I have always loved travelling. I kept journals as a kid and continued to do so as an adult. I blog about our travels on my website and some people seem to enjoy them. I do it because I enjoy it. And it's fun to read them years later.

We found a camera in Death Valley in 2011. It took me two years but I finally found the owner by using social media. You can read about it here.

You can see my recent blogs here.

I am a photo nut also and my blogs allow me to share my photos. We travel for the journey and experience, not the destination.

Bobby
www.bobbystuff.com
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My is Yes and No.

First, I don't have accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and whatever else is out there except Bogleheads.org which is surely social media.

Second, I use Youtube before and after a trip to get some reconnaissance done for me. Before a trip helps me not lose a trail or helps me decide whether something is more worth it or not. After a trip reminds of where I went and how the weather could have been different: either worse of better. And videos help me remember the smells and sounds better even if I did't record a single video myself.

I am not a foodie, so I really dislike like all the posts on bogleheads about what to eat in place and what hotel to stay. Even so, one cannot eat more than one dinner a day and in NYC, there are so many restaurants that there is almost no point in getting a recommendation. Same in Paris, same in London, same in Tokyo, same everywhere. One cannot spend their whole time exploring coffee shops and bars. One can only walk around so much to "get a vibe."

I prefer to figure out things for myself. My neigbhorhood is just as interesting as other neigbhorhoods all over the world, but it is stopping to chat with people that make them so.

And I know that people are not like me, so viewing youtube videos help we see what others like at a place, so if they ask me, I should be able answer them in a positive agreeable way if I want the conversation to continue.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am I took 8 months off my work and intended to experience retirement life. As I said before, (long-term) travel seems to be the only thing that I could not do conveniently with my job. In the past 8 months, I travelled to 11 countries, several times to a few countries.
Although I enjoyed my travel experience, different culture, food, weather, scenes, etc. I am in my middle 50s, not as excited as younger travelers to meet new people.
After I come back, I felt that the experience became history and memory. I do have a few thousand pictures in my two phones, but I still question if those travels are worth my time, energy, and money.
Our (I think my wife and I have similar thoughts on this) view:

1) Usually great. If the travel was only interesting while we were doing it, wouldn't spend the money. Enjoy the memories and things we learned.

2) No. Well, I enjoy photography and I usually take a decent camera (lots of situations smartphones won't cut it). I'll then put together my favorite shots (typically 30 to 100 at most per long vacation) after the trip on a photo sharing site. But we don't *share* the pictures that much (if somebody asks, basically, or for anybody on the trip with us, we give them the link).

3) Well some .... maybe compare notes with people who have taken similar trips. Or talk about the trip *if someone is interested*. Don't want to drone on and bore people.

4) I spend a moderate amount of time on the pictures, selecting and post-processing them (I enjoy it, plus I often learn more about the trip in hindsight documenting the photos). We also write up notes on the trip, mostly for ourselves to remember, and if we go to the same area again, to recall what we liked, things to avoid, etc.

5) No.

If the answer to 1) is not "I really enjoy reliving those memories" then I can't see that travel is doing much for a person. I do find our notes and pictures help bring past trips back to life.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am
Yes, I greatly enhance my experience by not being on Facebook :D I would rather send pictures through IM/email, rather than tell the whole world about it. I think FB has become "my perfect life" book for most people. Never been my cupa tea.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

bdaniel58 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm I am a software geek who loves gadgets and I have my own website. I like to track my travels with a GPS unit and show tracklogs on Google maps. I use an app on my phone that updates my position on a map on my website about every 10 minutes. I've made two cross country motorcycle trips without my wife and she was able see where I was at any time by looking at a map on my website. I even wrote an Alexa skill so she could just ask Alexa where I was and Alexa would check the latest coordinates for me and tell her where I was.

I have always loved travelling. I kept journals as a kid and continued to do so as an adult. I blog about our travels on my website and some people seem to enjoy them. I do it because I enjoy it. And it's fun to read them years later.

We found a camera in Death Valley in 2011. It took me two years but I finally found the owner by using social media. You can read about it here.

I am a photo nut also and my blogs allow me to share my photos. We travel for the journey and experience, not the destination.

Bobby
www.bobbystuff.com
You have very good pictures there. Does your blog have a paid or free host?
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

bdaniel58 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm I have always loved travelling. I kept journals as a kid and continued to do so as an adult. I blog about our travels on my website and some people seem to enjoy them. I do it because I enjoy it. And it's fun to read them years later.

Love it! I do same thing. I blog and instagram, largely for my own edification and to let my family know I'm alive. Pretty sure my blog gets a massive 2-3 hits a year, mostly from me when I'm reminiscing. But that's OK.

www.johnwilkens.nyc

Brooklyn to Cali ride blog
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am I took 8 months off my work and intended to experience retirement life. As I said before, (long-term) travel seems to be the only thing that I could not do conveniently with my job. In the past 8 months, I travelled to 11 countries, several times to a few countries.
1. It think it's great. It makes me want to go on another trip.
2. While on the trip, I will occasionally share pictures--but usually not more than one or two in a day, and usually not every day. And I don't track responses. When I'[m going on vacation, I want to stay OFF social media while on trips so that I can focus on enjoying the place that I am visiting. Spending time on social media is for when I'm relaxing at home or taking a short break at work. When I get home, I might take my downloaded pictures and post a slideshow to FB, but normally I don't. It feels like too much of chore.
3. No.
4. Almost none.
5. No.

The main way I use social media/travel blogs, etc to enhance my travel is to use other people's postings as a resource in planning my trip.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

bdaniel58 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm
Awesome story. Well worth the time reading it.

Be sure to read all the way down to the bottom...
bdaniel58

Post by bdaniel58 »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 pm
bdaniel58 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm I am a software geek who loves gadgets and I have my own website. I like to track my travels with a GPS unit and show tracklogs on Google maps. I use an app on my phone that updates my position on a map on my website about every 10 minutes. I've made two cross country motorcycle trips without my wife and she was able see where I was at any time by looking at a map on my website. I even wrote an Alexa skill so she could just ask Alexa where I was and Alexa would check the latest coordinates for me and tell her where I was.

Bobby
www.bobbystuff.com
You have very good pictures there. Does your blog have a paid or free host?
Thank you. I pay a hosting company. Wordpress is very popular for blogs but I wrote the software for my site. I enjoy tweaking it and making it do exactly what I want :)

Bobby
bdaniel58

Post by bdaniel58 »

Finridge wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 pm
Awesome story. Well worth the time reading it.

Be sure to read all the way down to the bottom...
Thank you very much. We have coins we hand out to people we meet while traveling that has our website URL on them. My wife always tells people to read "the love story."

Bobby
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

/////
Last edited by Lynette on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I find traveling with someone is the best way to enjoy travel. Someone with shared taste but also has some different deas too. I love talking about the day during dinner. I also like enjoying through the perspective of someone else.

I traveled to Washinton D.C by myself. Everything worked out well. But I did miss talking the day over with someone else.
Toons

Post by Toons »

We travel in a Class B RV.
I take a lot of photos with my phone and a Sony camera.
I post the photos to Google Maps.
As of now I have over 3 million "views" of the photos of various sites,,businesses,landscapes etc. that I have posted.
I like sharing pictures .
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

On the way home we are always discussing our next adventure, etc. We love to travel and usually go between 1-5 weeks several times a year. When we travel for 5 weeks we are definitely ready to get back as there are 12 of us and that is a lot of people to be on the road with 24/7. However, within about a week or so we are ready to go again. We definitely prefer natural places where we make our own schedules as we find very structured trips where we have to be at a particular place at a certain time stressful.
I share on Facebook with my friends, family and acquaintances. It helps me sum up the trip in my own mind as traveling with that many people is a ton of work...a trip, not a vacation. I probably share 100 photos a week when we travel but we are constantly moving so normally no more than 5 or so pics of a place and just the very best ones. I get a lot of great feedback...but I think a lot of it is because people are sometimes surprised at the fact that we are able to do the things that we are due to our family size.
(3) Do you think sharing your travel experience (with friends and strangers) make your travel more rewarding? I think it makes it more rewarding for me, not because they are commenting but because it is a way for me to reflect on our trip. With as many people as we have (and a lot of little ones) it is easy to look at all the crazy things that happened and remember how exhausting it is to cook 3 meals a day and RV or camp for 5 weeks straight with and with being responsible for that many people while you are seeing everything, you are also making sure that Sally and Johnny don't fall in the river. We enjoy looking back at the facebook posts like a photo album years later and remembering just how pretty that river was. We remember how much our children enjoyed it and why we always take them rather than leaving them with grandma. I share our mishaps too...as I'm not the type to present the perfect life on facebook. I prefer we look the normal that we are so people don't peg us with the stereotypes they have about large families.
(4) How much time and energy do you invest to those efforts? I enjoy taking several thousand pictures when we travel. I do no spend a lot of time posting though. In general we disconnect from social media/computers, etc. when we travel. I don't spend a lot of time talking about the photos, etc. and generally just write about 4 sentences, letting the pics speak for themselves. When people ask questions, I answer them.
(5) Do you intend to make a monetary profit out of those efforts? No. I think we could...people tell me we could as we are a unique large family because we travel. However, my husband (and I, although less so) are pretty private people and I don't want to share my childrens' lives online or mine for that matter and our family is a big part of our travel. When all our kids are grown, we will still travel, probably spend more time on photography, but still post only to our little circle and probably only our kids will be interested, LOL!

If you don't feel like you want to go again, traveling might not be for you and that is OK. We love it and I have mapped out where we want to go for the next five years already. I suspect we will travel most of the year when our kids are grown.
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

What a great story about the camera! You guys look like you like to travel similar to us. While I am pretty private myself, I love reading other people's blogs so I have bookmarked yours to read later when I have more time. I think you hit the nail on the head...we travel for the journey and experience. There have been times that we go to places we never even knew about prior to us leaving on the trip and we often don't end up going to places we originally planned to go (or we go for a much shorter time). Thank you for sharing!
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

We normally create photo-books after our trips highlighting all our favorite parts of the trip and using my best/favorite pictures. The book is primarily for us (family that took the trip) to look through. I leave it on the coffee table for a while in case any family/friends that come by want to take a look - but we certainly don't force them on anyone.
I used to create slide-shows but realize most family/friends aren't interested in being subjugated to watching these.

I don't do much on social-media. I always feel like I'm doing a humble-brag when I do. If I do share it will typically be a single picture or set of 5 to 6 pictures for the entire week. I do enjoy seeing where other friends/family are as long as they don't get carried away (Getting carried away is posting dozens of pictures per day - no need to look through that many - I don't have the time - show me your 1 or 2 favorites of each day).
renue74

Post by renue74 »

When my family travels, I rarely share photos. I do take a lot and upload them to a private Google Photos archive.

But, never really share on FB or Instagram. I'm 44 and have swore off using FB. I rarely use it for personal use and only have an account in order to place client Facebook Ad campaigns.

Like others have said, I do research my destination before we go using social media and I will roughly plan out vacations, but I don't think my friends and family really want to see my photos. Plus, I think it's a roundabout way to boasting about wealth. Many of our friends don't travel like we do.

Traveling for me is a personal experience. I remember the Saturday I spent in a Tirano, Italy train station...drinking a cup of coffee before I boarded a train to go up the snowy mountains in the middle of summer. I don't need to share those photos or experiences.

I know it sounds selfish...but there are already so many resources to make travel easy...I don't need to contribute my personal experiences.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

During the first three years in retirement, I traveled the average of 120 days/year.
In 2018, I will have just over 70 days. In 2019, I will go over 120 days because I will go again to el Camino de Santiago.

When I travel in the U.S., I sometimes bring my cell phone (plain cell phone, NOT a smart phone) if I need to make travel arrangements that were not possible ahead of time (e.g., receive a call from an airport shuttle company). When I travel internationally, I never bring a phone, computer, camera, or any other electronics.

When I travel, sometimes two months at a time, I don't keep in touch with anybody via social media or otherwise. I don't take pictures. This results in a pure travel experience where I live in the moment. I do carry thick notebooks and take a lot of notes by hand. The notes are partly travel observations and mostly interesting ideas that occur when I am on the move.

Obviously, I consider my mode of travel superior to those with electronics, social media, and picture taking.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

(1) Love it. I enjoy discovering new places, or making new memories in places I've been to before, with my wife and kids. Mainly my wife, as she'll always be with me even when the kids are grown and gone. :happy I can't remember ever having a disappointing trip with her/them, and I think it's mainly about the mindset/personality/psychology you come into traveling with.
(2) I have no social media, unless you count BH as social media, and I don't see how it would enhance my experience.
(3) Yes, and especially when we talk about places we've been with people who have also been there.
(4) I'm more of a go-with-the-flow guy, but my wife likes to plan. We've come to a really good spot in our marriage where there's a balance.
(5) I wish, but no. I'm secretly slightly jealous of the travel bloggers, but I think I'd get tired of constantly thinking "should I be videoing/picturing this so I can put it to my blog?" vs just taking in an experience.

I'll probably never exhaust the treasure trove of history that is Europe, especially with my keen interest in European History, so the part about the experience becoming history and memory doesn't bother me. I like to take the time to insert myself into that history, even if only imaginatively. We (my wife) make photo books of our trips that are super-fun to look at for me.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 am During the first three years in retirement, I traveled the average of 120 days/year.
In 2018, I will have just over 70 days. In 2019, I will go over 120 days because I will go again to el Camino de Santiago.

When I travel in the U.S., I sometimes bring my cell phone (plain cell phone, NOT a smart phone) if I need to make travel arrangements that were not possible ahead of time (e.g., receive a call from an airport shuttle company). When I travel internationally, I never bring a phone, computer, camera, or any other electronics.

When I travel, sometimes two months at a time, I don't keep in touch with anybody via social media or otherwise. I don't take pictures. This results in a pure travel experience where I live in the moment. I do carry thick notebooks and take a lot of notes by hand. The notes are partly travel observations and mostly interesting ideas that occur when I am on the move.

Obviously, I consider my mode of travel superior to those with electronics, social media, and picture taking.

Victoria
Interesting. I can no longer imagine traveling old-school like this. Notebooks and I assume printouts of hotel names and itinerary/flight-info, etc.
So no Uber for you in the US then? :)
You don't ever occasionally wish you had a camera to grab a picture with? Or a map with GPS that shows you where you are and shows you how to walk across town from Point A to Point B (versus trying to find someone that knows where point B is and can speak a language you speak)? Or wish you were alerted to a flight delay before you went to the airport (could have spent an extra 2 hours sight-seeing)?
Traveling with a smartphone just makes travel so much more efficient and enjoyable to me. A lot of the travel nightmares I experienced in the past are now solved simply by having a smart-phone with me.
I don't fault you for your way of doing things - I do find it curious.
(When my kids were young I refused to take a camcorder with me because I found I would spend too much time trying to record the experiences rather than enjoy the experiences. So I believe I understand what you are getting at. Its just the super-convenience of being connected makes things far easier than they used to be).
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I wouldn't do it. It's almost a form of navel-gazing.

I would feel that publicly displaying my pictures for my gratification at the expense of people who don't care or might not have the money or time for such adventures is bad form.

Our pictures are really for our family. Maybe a few close friends, depending on the context. They are the only ones who truly care in most circumstances. Most of what we share are pictures of the kids having fun.

It's not the end of the world if you want to do it in moderation. But I'd be cognizant of what to much of it says about you. Many young people I know are not.

JT
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Nope - deactivated all social media due their political affiliation and associated censorship.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Judging from what I see on Instagram and how other travelers behave at famous sites, it would seem the main purpose for travel is show others that you are doing it. "Look where I am!!!" Have you tried doing it this way?
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

I am on FB and occasionally post pictures after we return.

There are several categories of people to choose from on FB. You can set people as close, acquaintances, family, Bunco group, Republicans, Democrats, book club, etc. etc. and any category you wish. I mostly post travel photos to the family group because we are all spread out and they enjoy seeing them/us. I LOVE seeing what they are doing too!

So when I share/post something, I consider my audience.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Sadly - 40% of folks under 33 prioritize ‘Instagrammability’ when choosing their next vacation spot.
(Reference: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewarno ... tinations/)
Very sad.....folks planning based upon what they can boast versus what they can experience.

Traveling with a smartphone is great for convenience and taking pictures for my memories (and to share with other should they ask) but I refuse to be one of the new generation of travelers posting "Look at where I get to go!".
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 am
VictoriaF wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 am During the first three years in retirement, I traveled the average of 120 days/year.

Victoria
Interesting. I can no longer imagine traveling old-school like this.
I don't consider it old-school. I consider it authentic experience.

GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 amNotebooks and I assume printouts of hotel names and itinerary/flight-info, etc.
So no Uber for you in the US then? :)
On my regular trips, I have 1-4 pages with my full itinerary. On the Camino, I don't reserve hotels and stay in available albergues. Not only I don't use Uber, but I also avoid taking taxis. Where possible, I choose public transportation, and in Europe, it's always possible. In the U.S. I sometimes need to take an airport shuttle.
GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 amYou don't ever occasionally wish you had a camera to grab a picture with?
Occasionally, I see a picture that I would have liked to commemorate. But carrying a camera for these rare occasions is not worth it.

GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 amOr a map with GPS that shows you where you are and shows you how to walk across town from Point A to Point B (versus trying to find someone that knows where point B is and can speak a language you speak)? Or wish you were alerted to a flight delay before you went to the airport (could have spent an extra 2 hours sight-seeing)?
I carry books with maps and don't need GPS.

I don't mind airport delays, I have done some of my best writing at airports.
GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 amTraveling with a smartphone just makes travel so much more efficient and enjoyable to me. A lot of the travel nightmares I experienced in the past are now solved simply by having a smart-phone with me.
I don't fault you for your way of doing things - I do find it curious.
I don't fault you for traveling with a smart phone.
GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 am(When my kids were young I refused to take a camcorder with me because I found I would spend too much time trying to record the experiences rather than enjoy the experiences. So I believe I understand what you are getting at. Its just the super-convenience of being connected makes things far easier than they used to be).
Convenience is an enemy of experience.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:31 pm
I don't consider it old-school. I consider it experience.
I suppose the way you travel might be different than mine - but you might also start to find the world changing around you to make it more and more difficult to travel without a smart-phone. Many changes have already started to occur as folks are expected to have / or typically have / their own phones with them with a myriad of Apps to make plans. etc. A few examples:
- Years ago the "Concierge Lounge" in hotels like Marriott actually had a Concierge in them. It was some one you could work with on your itinerary and plans. Now they simply have folks serving the food. Some hotels still have Concierge desks downstairs somewhere but they are quickly fading away.
- Years ago there were these things called "pay phones" that you could make phone calls from when traveling and having to call an airline to make a change or something. They are quickly being removed from existence.
- You mention the hotel shuttles that run from the airports to some hotels. Many of these run on a schedule but some request you call them when you land so they can promptly get you. Its hard to do this without a phone. I remember years ago there were banks of "Courtesy" phones that would automatically connect you to nearby hotels, etc. These have all been removed (at least from the cities I frequent).

I'm sure you have workarounds to these and many more items. But you eventually might find it easier to have a smartphone for convenience (still avoiding any social networking on it) than not.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Victoria
I find that a smartphone with Google map becomes a must-have in travel for me these days. I have T-moblle and have free data roaming in many countries. It is much easier to know where you are and where you want to go. Very easy to find public transportations in Europe.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

GoldStar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:48 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:31 pm
I don't consider it old-school. I consider it experience.
I suppose the way you travel might be different than mine - but you might also start to find the world changing around you to make it more and more difficult to travel without a smart-phone. Many changes have already started to occur as folks are expected to have / or typically have / their own phones with them with a myriad of Apps to make plans. etc. A few examples:
- Years ago the "Concierge Lounge" in hotels like Marriott actually had a Concierge in them. It was some one you could work with on your itinerary and plans. Now they simply have folks serving the food. Some hotels still have Concierge desks downstairs somewhere but they are quickly fading away.
- Years ago there were these things called "pay phones" that you could make phone calls from when traveling and having to call an airline to make a change or something. They are quickly being removed from existence.
- You mention the hotel shuttles that run from the airports to some hotels. Many of these run on a schedule but some request you call them when you land so they can promptly get you. Its hard to do this without a phone. I remember years ago there were banks of "Courtesy" phones that would automatically connect you to nearby hotels, etc. These have all been removed (at least from the cities I frequent).

I'm sure you have workarounds to these and many more items. But you eventually might find it easier to have a smartphone for convenience (still avoiding any social networking on it) than not.
Workarounds are fun. Workarounds are problem solving. Getting in trouble makes good stories. And no, I decidedly do not want to make it easier. When the absence of a smart phone makes things harder, it creates new challenges -- and I feel happy when I concur challenges.

It's too late for me to become an Africa explorer or an elephant tamer. Smartphone-less life is my last resort, and thankfully it becomes more interesting.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2015 »

I have been strongly impacted by Cal Newport's work and hence do not participate in social media of any sort. I subscribe to Newport's deep work hypothesis, attention capital theory, and digital minimalism construct (these concepts are explained briefly in the link below). This has had an immensely positive impact on the quality of my life. I am looking forward to his forthcoming books.

http://calnewport.com/about/
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:57 pm I have been strongly impacted by Cal Newport's work and hence do not participate in social media of any sort. I subscribe to Newport's deep work hypothesis, attention capital theory, and digital minimalism construct (these concepts are explained briefly in the link below). This has had an immensely positive impact on the quality of my life. I am looking forward to his forthcoming books.

Right on!

I've read several Cal Newport's books, and "Deep Work" is particularly relevant to this discussion. I also subscribe to his weekly email which is always short and to the point. Not only Newport writes well but he provides a counter-example to the sentiment that new technologies are rejected only by old people and Luddites. Newport is a professor of computer science in his thirties. And examples of "Luddites" in his books are some of the most prominent (and young) movers and shakers.

Victoria

Post by 2015 »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:01 pm
2015 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:57 pm I have been strongly impacted by Cal Newport's work and hence do not participate in social media of any sort. I subscribe to Newport's deep work hypothesis, attention capital theory, and digital minimalism construct (these concepts are explained briefly in the link below). This has had an immensely positive impact on the quality of my life. I am looking forward to his forthcoming books.

Right on!

I've read several Cal Newport's books, and "Deep Work" is particularly relevant to this discussion. I also subscribe to his weekly email which is always short and to the point. Not only Newport writes well but he provides a counter-example to the sentiment that new technologies are rejected only by old people and Luddites. Newport is a professor of computer science in his thirties. And examples of "Luddites" in his books are some of the most prominent (and young) movers and shakers.

Victoria
Thanks for the tip! I didn't know you could subscribe to his weekly email but now I will. BTW, I loved your response post up thread, particularly statement that "Convenience is the enemy of experience."
Last edited by 2015 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazman12

Post by jazman12 »

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 am Granted I am not a very social person - for the most part keep to my self. But here is my view: I have no interest in reading other peoples travel log and assume nobody would have an interest in mine. I am interested (sort of) in hearing tricks of the trade so to speak (securing obscure reservations, hiking in difficult terrain or conditioons that sort of thing). I have linkedin & facebook and am amazed at the silly things people post there. I would kill those accounts in a minute except it might upset immediate family & some local friends. I am a paper map oriented person. Keeping a paper map possibly with route traced would be the extent of a personal log.
+++++ditto
Act soon... time is running out
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

Cal Newport says he has never participated on social media but he has a blog on which he allows folks to respond with comments. Some never-social-media purists would classify this as social media. :wink:

Also - I consider this site social-media. Are we not responding to eachother in a social way? I would argue you are participating in social media right now.
Just because you get your social media fix anonymously doesn't mean you aren't getting it. :happy
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

mrsbetsy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm I am on FB and occasionally post pictures after we return.

There are several categories of people to choose from on FB. You can set people as close, acquaintances, family, Bunco group, Republicans, Democrats, book club, etc. etc. and any category you wish. I mostly post travel photos to the family group because we are all spread out and they enjoy seeing them/us. I LOVE seeing what they are doing too!

So when I share/post something, I consider my audience.
I currently use instant messaging to communicate with my family members and friends when I am on travel. I like that.