Kahu car tracker

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NextMil

Kahu car tracker

Post by NextMil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Just purchased a new to me car yesterday and dealer gave me a service called Kahu. Appears to be car tracking. Anyone know what this is and what the hook is? I assume I would eventually have to pay for the service, and not sure I need it.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Kahu car tracker

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Did you go to the Kahu site?

https://www.spireon.com/getkahu/

It says that the device is purchased and that there are no future costs. It's a gps kinda device like the insurance companies use with access to driving data and such. Can be used to recover the car if stolen. I would think that it would bring an insurance discount.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:31 pm

I did, but have not researched extensively. To be honest, I don’t love them tracking my driving habits, and was hoping someone else has done the heavy lifting.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 pm

It’s to benefit the dealer for inventory purposes. Sure, you can use it to find your car now, but the company sells these to dealers as an item that the dealer gets the benefit of and then can charge the customer for it as an option profit center.

JT