where to learn to sew?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
atlanta_dad

where to learn to sew?

Post by atlanta_dad » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:51 pm

My daughter would like to learn sewing, what is a good place for a reasonable price? Thanks

fortfun

Re: where to learn to sew?

Post by fortfun » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:56 pm

atlanta_dad wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:51 pm
My daughter would like to learn sewing, what is a good place for a reasonable price? Thanks
A lot of libraries now have maker spaces with sewing machines. You might call around. Most schools offer "home ec or consumer and family studies." She might learn in MS or HS. Some fabric stores have classes. Of course, finding a neighbor or grandma might work too. Youtube is a great place too (once you know how to thread the bobbin, etc.)

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:31 pm

My Wife sews quite a lot. I have never really paid attention but when I needed some gear for my boat I started to focus on how the sewing machine worked and how to sew things with it. I was surprised how much I learned just doing it. I wound up sewing quite a few items which I frequently use.

Sewing seems to be one of those things where mistakes do not have a huge cost so there is ample opportunity to do DYI learning. Of course this does not address the social aspect of a class and, I am pretty sure a formal classroom would be more efficient.

Having said that, she could get started with You-Tube as others have suggested, there are tons of how to videos.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:42 pm

atlanta_dad wrote:

Online classes from craftsy?

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Just like Lowe's and Home Depot offer free classes to learn how to do DIY home projects, I believe the big-chain craft stores that sell sewing supplies do the same. If you have a Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Jo-Ann Fabrics or similar in your area, maybe call or look into it online?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Don't know sewing - but around here - the folks I know who do sewing type things seem to be immigrant women from places like the Philippines.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:56 pm
atlanta_dad wrote:
A lot of libraries now have maker spaces with sewing machines. You might call around.
I had not heard of that.

In my area libraries are run by the county. If you want to use a library that is not in your county you can often pay about $40 a year for access to the libraries services.

If you work in a different county than you live in then you may be eligible to use that counties libraries for free. This is because your employer paid taxes in that county that support the library.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 pm
fortfun wrote:
atlanta_dad wrote:
A lot of libraries now have maker spaces with sewing machines. You might call around.
I had not heard of that.

In my area libraries are run by the county. If you want to use a library that is not in your county you can often pay about $40 a year for access to the libraries services.

If you work in a different county than you live in then you may be eligible to use that counties libraries for free. This is because your employer paid taxes in that county that support the library.
never saw these at any libraries here. In this area, anyone with a library card in this county can get a free library card in the neighboring county.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:12 pm

fortfun wrote:
atlanta_dad wrote:
A lot of libraries now have maker spaces with sewing machines. You might call around. Most schools offer "home ec or consumer and family studies." She might learn in MS or HS. Some fabric stores have classes. Of course, finding a neighbor or grandma might work too. Youtube is a great place too (once you know how to thread the bobbin, etc.)
Libraries in my area don’t have sewing machines. What general area do you live in?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:15 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:55 pm
Don't know sewing - but around here - the folks I know who do sewing type things seem to be immigrant women from places like the Philippines.
Many young women are learning sewing skills. There is a renewed interest in this craft.

Craftsy.com has a lot of classes (and sales) where one can learn how to sew. Women cane even learn to make their own bras! :shock:

FGal

Post by FGal » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Second the recommendation to check out fabric stores like JoAnn and Handcock Fabrics. Also sewing machine specialty stores that sell the fancy machines usually offer classes.

I learned to sew at college in the theater department. You might look into local playhouse/theaters - especially ones that have kid troupes - and ask about their costume shop and whether your daughter could join up working on costumes, because learning how to sew is literally someone sitting you behind a sewing machine and showing basic stitching and then you learn as you do it. (worked for me anyway) and sewing costumes is SUPER fun compared to a boring ol' curtain or pillow pattern! :D
Last edited by FGal on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Any store that sells fabrics and sewing machines should have an idea.
"La Bella Luna"

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:12 pm
fortfun wrote:
atlanta_dad wrote:
Libraries in my area don’t have sewing machines. What general area do you live in?
CO but maker spaces are becoming popular everywhere. My school library has two, but it's my library :)

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:14 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 pm
Watty wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 pm
fortfun wrote:
atlanta_dad wrote:
I had not heard of that.

never saw these at any libraries here. In this area, anyone with a library card in this county can get a free library card in the neighboring county.
Yeah, really, in my state you get one library card, no fee, and it is good at any public library in the state.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Every store I've ever seen that sells both sewing machines and fabric also has classes.

There is a lot of sewing she can do by hand and then once she's familiar with it decide how fancy a machine she wants. Some of the machines do embroidery, etc.

Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Local community college, many have classes for non-matriculated students of all ages.

gretah

Post by gretah » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm

A local mom ran an ad in CraigsList for a summer teacher for her son who wanted to learn to sew and make costumes. 2 hour sessions, twice a week over the summer.

I would have loved this gig. But I didn't see the ad until over a week after it had been posted so I missed out. You might try an ad.
Please don't pay less than $20 an hour - you will probably be employing someone with years of experience.

A little off topic -

Sewing machines are expensive!

Happily, there are usually a few at the thrift stores. Your daughter will only need straight stitching to begin anyway. Let her see if she likes it before buying an expensive machine.
Last edited by gretah on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Community college if old enough. Sewing machine stores have classes. Volunteer to help out at a local theater or ballet company; they need people to sew costumes. The last is best, because you will get 1-on-1 from a master.

Muri

Post by Muri » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:28 pm

How old is your child? In my state public middle and high schools offer classes that include textiles and sewing. The classes are now "FACS" or "FCS" and stand for Family and Consumer Sciences. This name replaced "Home Ec". My local schools also offer "Project Runway" sewing classes through the FACS department.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:52 pm

As others have said, fabric stores will have an idea, but there are plenty of online videos. You could always join your daughter & both of you could learn from a video. One of many options: https://blog.colettehq.com/inspiration/ ... l-building

Start with really simple projects that involve just straight stitching. Start with cheaper fabrics that aren't stretchy - knits are harder to sew. Cottons are good. Once she makes a couple simpler projects, she'll gain confidence (and may lose interest :) )

If you look online, you can find simple pillow, tote bag, or backpack, or handbag patterns, or make seasonal projects like table runners using fabrics with Christmas or Easter or Thanksgiving/Halloween themes or Christmas stockings, etc. It's pretty easy to make a cover for an Ikea Poang chair cushion (you just make a sleeve for it).

If she uses a large stitch (baste - 6-8 stitches per inch) for the first pass of sewing, it's easier to rip it out if you make a mistake. Many experienced sewers will do this with a new pattern if they don't have a really delicate fabric.

If you happen to attend a church, there likely are experienced sewers and perhaps a small group of kids could be organized to learn. Or else, one of your daughter's friend's parents/relatives might sew.

BL

Post by BL » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:14 am

Check out patternReview.com. The are the "bogleheads" of the sewing world. There are all kinds of subjects and you can ask for advice there. They also have some online classes. Haven't checked for a while (too busy here!) They are also on social media.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 am

Does she have access to a sewing machine? If not, consider picking one up second-hand. Not only is this cheaper, but the older machines are much sturdier. You might even get lucky if you ask around--my DD15 inherited her grandmother's old machine--it's nothing exciting, but it works. Get her some fabric remnants (sewing stores typically have a bin or three of these for cheap) and let her play around with different fabrics, stitches, etc. Read the instruction book or go online to find out how to thread the machine.

Youtube or Craftsy are good places for tutorials--craftsy will cost, but they have professionals teaching the classes. It would be even better if she can find something local (Joanne's, etc.), but if none is available, online is great. The only thing I found about Craftsy is, they assume you have 8000 little tools that would make sewing easier, but aren't necessary for beginners. Just be aware of that--she doesn't need every little thing on Day One--although pointy embroidery scissors and a seam ripper are very handy.

My kids dance, so I work in wardrobe for their shows. As a PP stated--this is a great place to pick up sewing skills. I'm just a worker bee--the head seamstress has amazing talent. I know she's mentored young people who show an interest. Not all of what we do comes close to being exciting, but it's all necessary. I end up doing a lot of hand-sewing, because the head seamstress HATES it with the burning passion of a thousand fiery suns.

A great first project is sleep pants--my kids could make them since age 8, very simple, and who cares if they don't come out perfect. Joanne's puts flannel on sale on Black Friday, I stock up, and make each kid a few pairs--they take me about a half hour (but I've been doing this a long time).

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:28 am

4H my daughter just took first place at our county fair for her first sewing project a skirt.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 am

Back in the day, we learned hand sewing years before progressing to machine sewing. Hand sewing tools are pretty cheap to buy. What exactly to get depends on what she wants to sew. Hand sewers can do without the machine, but machine sewers cannot avoid hand sewing from time to time. One way or another, she needs to learn hand sewing and get a few hand sewing tools.

It's easy enough to learn from a book or a video. Youtube is a rich source, but you can pretty much search the web for 'hand sewing tutorial' or 'DIY hand sewing' or some such thing and get good, useful pages. Hand sewing is not rocket science :D

Your library has crafting books, including sewing. Another cheap alternative is thrift stores. Thrift stores can be a rich source of abandoned crafting supplies and craft books. :D Fabric in particular is pretty cheap at thrift stores, certainly cheaper than the remnants table at JoAnn's.

If your daughter decides to progress to machine sewing, a good time to buy a low end sewing machine might be Thanksgiving or Christmas. Stores such as Walmart, JoAnn's, and the like seem to mark them down a lot at that time.

Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:51 pm

I learned to sew from other members back in Ohio when I joined the SCA. Lots of members sew their own costumes and it's a good group if you like living history.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 am

The scissors she would want are Ginghers. However it turns out Fiskars bought them and they are now primarily sold more or less, Fiskars tells me, at:

https://www.joann.com/search?q=ginghers

I don't know if this has affected the quality.

ems2013

Post by ems2013 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 am

I took a class at my local JoAnn Fabrics that helped with the basics, which was enough to get me started using the machine that I received as a gift. JoAnn periodically offers discounts on their classes and they send coupons by email. I've used YouTube since then for specific lessons, like sewing button holes. Good luck!

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am

forgeblast wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:28 am
4H my daughter just took first place at our county fair for her first sewing project a skirt.
Well done!

BL

Post by BL » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Ask around for leads on old machines and cotton scraps. Agree that well-cared-for old machines are likely better than cheap newer ones. Pre-1963 Singers, any Kenmore (last made by Janome), might be good. Berninas are/were expertly engineered, even the most basic ones. There are others as well.

Maybe you could volunteer at seniors or church charity quilt making, or costuming for school or community plays or musicals.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Id say DIY and internet videos. A sewing machine is basically just a continuous stapler. I think many sewing stores will include a class or two and have free workshops if you buy a machine there.

Sewing basic stuff can be really easy. The hard part is patterning and then holding stuff in the right position to send through the machine. I think I've used our sewing machine more than my wife to make some outdoor gear and reupholster my car seats with hair on cowhide. Pretty much the lightest and heaviest materials you can use. I've also tailored most of my button down shirts to be more slim fit and taken in the waist on some suit pants.

Here is the machine we have so newer better stuff is probably available now. It works great. Looks like the newer versions are in the $300 range

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/NS40E

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:49 pm

I just got a blurb that a local county extension office is offering sewing classes. Another place to look!

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:19 pm

I just googled "sewing classes Atlanta" and got a list of places.

makeitso

Post by makeitso » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 pm

A really good place to learn to sew is a local Quilt Shop. Search for Quilt Shops or Fabric Shops online. They will have classes.