Video Game Collection

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kinless

Video Game Collection

Post by kinless » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:30 pm

[TL;DR I've got a collection of over 300+ video games, half of them still sealed and brand new. A recent price guide appraisal puts the total value at almost $30,000. Should I consider selling or hold on for further potential appreciation?]

Back in my younger days I was an avid collector of video games, starting from the Atari 2600 in the early 1980s and buying for just about every major console afterwards. Even as the years went by and responsibilities meant less time to play, I still kept buying games with every intent of eventually getting around to them. (Yeah, about that...) Before I knew it, life/aging took over with game purchases fewer and farther between. These days I'm just a casual player (own a Nintendo Switch with a few games) but the joys and dedication of serious collecting are long gone, especially after my first home purchase in 2010.

In the 25 years prior to that I managed to build up a library of 300+ games, which really isn't much compared to some of the hard-core collections I've seen showcased. Most of mine are popular platform franchises like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Metroid, Castlevania, and Mega Man. I was a huge fan of the latter franchise and blindly snapped up anything that said "Mega Man" on it, so I've got bins full of Mega Man games and merchandise. Probably the smartest thing I did was leave unplayed games sealed in their shrink-wrap. I was also purchasing extra copies of favorites on eBay (also shrink-wrapped) in the early 2000s. Out of the entire collection, about half of them are still sealed and brand new condition.

Last week I stumbled across PriceCharting.com, a site that actively tracks sale prices of all video games, not only aggregating their own Marketplace sales, but completed eBay sales as well. The site lets you build a collection of all games you own, selecting the condition and what's included, and they'll estimate the value of each. What's unique about this price guide is they only base their values off sold prices, not asking prices, which should make values more accurate. (Not sure how they calculate if someone "buys" but doesn't complete the transaction.) They also index values over the last 10 years, and most values appear to be on an upward trajectory.

At any rate, I plugged in all 300+ games to their website, and was astonished to find that the value of my collection is just short of US$30,000. Many of the sealed games (and even a few unsealed) are over $100 each. A couple of the uncommon sealed games are approaching $1,000 each, with one rare exception worth over $2,000. I'm sure some of you would say "take those price guide values with a grain of salt" but I verified some of the completed sale prices on eBay (assuming completed transactions) so it seems pretty legit.

Now at 41 years old, it's a pretty good bet I'll never open these sealed games at this point. They're all sitting in boxes in the closet and garage. If you asked me how much I invested over the 25 years of collecting, I would probably estimate $10-12K, so the ROI seems about right for the time period and merchandise. I'm actually debating if it's a good time to start selling some of these treasures while the economy is up, or hold on to them for a while longer to potentially further appreciation. In an increasingly digital world, I can't imagine values going down over time as these types of physical games become even more rare.

I'm not hard up for cash or anything. (Finances and net worth are pretty strong in general although my retirement fund could be a little higher.) Also single so I don't (yet) have a wife nagging me to get rid of them. :mrgreen:

What say the oh-so-wise Bogleheads?

BolderBoy

Re: Video Game Collection

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:36 pm

kinless wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:30 pm
[TL;DR I've got a collection of over 300+ video games, half of them still sealed and brand new. A recent price guide appraisal puts the total value at almost $30,000. Should I consider selling or hold on for further potential appreciation?]

What say the oh-so-wise Bogleheads?
This one says, "Sell them ASAP!" You can't foretell the future...
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Baseball cards lost their value pretty quickly. I would sell.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:42 pm

You're not playing them and they're taking up space in your life and garage. If I couldn't sell them, I'd take them down to the thrift store.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm also a 41 year old gamer. I would sell them all. Regardless if they will go up or down in price.
Most of my games are all digital now.

I sold all mines when I got married and moved a few times.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:48 pm

I am a little younger than you and played a lot of video games growing up, mostly NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis along with a touch of Dreamcast, PlayStation, X-Box and others of that era. That is my point of reference. I do not understand the valuation of these or why people would want these but I understand that they do. Personally, I am well aware of emulators and how they have been around for a couple decades and are able to be easily put on smart phones or used to make a homemade game console with thousands and thousands of games across all game systems. Based on all of that, I would sell what you have now and enjoy any games you want to play through emulators.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 pm

NextMil wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:40 pm
I don't know if these will have the same fate, but they very well could. I think their useable life is coming to an end and they are only holding historical value now.

IntangibleAssets

Post by IntangibleAssets » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:53 pm

If anyone approached even 1/5th of that figure I would sell them :D maybe picking out one or 2 that were sentimental.

Anecdotally, I also played magic the gathering and am planning to keep a few cards that I really enjoy artwork or similar on and sell the rest while there is still a market for them.

tj218

Post by tj218 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:11 pm

SELL.

Not even a question here. The likelihood of that selling price invested in an index fund being worth more than those same games in even 5 years is very high. Slim chance the games can beat that and as other have noted the market can fall out of them at anytime.

SELL

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:19 pm

kinless wrote:
...A recent price guide appraisal puts the total value at almost $30,000. Should I consider selling or hold on for further potential appreciation?...
These types of pricing guides are generally bogus. Some are even supported by the industry. Even coins and stamps don't fetch anywhere near what the "guides" say -- unless they are something special.

I envision that your items are especially prone to regular-old obsolescence rather than attainment of "classic" status -- because games have evolved so and platforms disappear.

Best test: pick the two most "valuable" and look at recent sales on eBay. If there are none, it either means you have the Mona Lisa or no one is buying them.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:21 pm

kinless wrote:
....These days I'm just a casual player (own a Nintendo Switch with a few games) but the joys and dedication of serious collecting are long gone, especially after my first home purchase in 2010.....
I would suggest the following.

Since the joy is gone, plan to sell almost everything. Keep a few sentimental pieces if there are any and if there are one or two really rare items that you want to hold onto as lotto tickets, keep those also. Sell the rest. You'll have the sentimenal few collectibles, you'll have the 2-3 really rare items that will continue to outpace the rest on price appreciation if things do continue to go up in value, and you will have unloaded the blulk of the collection at a profit which locks in your gain in case the game market craps out.

I never threw out any of my toys / collectibles from my childhood and its been a slow process of selling old baseball cards, magic cards, comic books and action figures etc. Every few years going to the basement and working through a box or whatever. It feels good to purge, put a few bucks in my pocket and at the same time dust off and take care of the things that I actually want to keep.

madmartigan

Post by madmartigan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:37 pm

With the resurgence of Nintendo and various classic games, I feel we're at a peak for collectible items. Gen-X'ers and Millennials who grew up with these namesakes have the cash and are being reminded of how fun certain games were to play. 100% sell!

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 pm

IntangibleAssets wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:53 pm
If anyone approached even 1/5th of that figure I would sell them :D maybe picking out one or 2 that were sentimental.

Anecdotally, I also played magic the gathering and am planning to keep a few cards that I really enjoy artwork or similar on and sell the rest while there is still a market for them.
I also played MTG and the cards have skyrocketed in value. Especially Alpha, Beta, dual lands, etc. Their is some talk that the card company has artificially increased the prices to extract money. Who knows, but I would sell those cards as well.

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:18 pm

mxs wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 pm
IntangibleAssets wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:53 pm

I also played MTG and the cards have skyrocketed in value. Especially Alpha, Beta, dual lands, etc. Their is some talk that the card company has artificially increased the prices to extract money. Who knows, but I would sell those cards as well.
Played aswell -- I've been holding onto a set of revised for sentimental reasons and have dumped everything else.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:52 pm

NextMil wrote:
The overproduced ones did. The 1950's and around there are very strong right now. Like anything else, it is cyclical.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 pm

I'm a retro video game collector (over 500 titles and 25 systems) and follow the scene pretty closely. You're right that retro game prices have been on the rise. Much of this has to do with Gen-Xers finally having the funds to afford the games they used to not be able to afford when they were younger, and the rise of the hardcore "gotta have 'em all" collector.

I'll say a few things. Sold prices on ebay are usually legit, especially if there's a lot of them for a title. That can give you a decent handle on actual value. That said it's not always easy *to* sell. The ratio of games sold vs games for sale is actually pretty low. It can take years to offload a game on ebay (if you don't underbid). Even "must have" rare games can take a while because the prices are high enough that you have few buyers willing to fork out that money.

My opinion having watched this scene for a while is that eventually a few things will happen. One is those that are just trying to relive their youth will eventually scratch that itch and move on. Two is that there are a lot of games still sitting in attics that aren't out in circulation yet. As people find out the value of games (as you have) these will come into the market, increasing supply and reducing demand and prices. Three is that the hardcore collectors will eventually have all the games already and have no need to buy more (except the super rare ones) and demand will drop even further (this is what basically killed baseball card collecting).

You have to remember that these are mass produced items. They're (usually) not rare. Super Mario World for example sold 20 million copies. It was packed in with every SNES. There is no reason it should be selling for $20 on ebay. Almost every SNES has a corresponding SMW cart. It should be worth almost nothing (and recently you can see its price start to decline). Most old games needed a decently large print run to make it worthwhile to produce the games (cost per unit is less when you make more) so very small runs of retro games were not common.

Because of this the "rarity" of retro games is not from the number of them out there (there are a lot), but rather the condition of them. Long story short, your unopened games are very valuable (there are hardly any of these as most were opened). Your opened (or loose ones) much less so (there's a lot of them floating around).

So if I were you and wanted to make money off the collection, I would start selling the opened games sooner rather than later. It's only a matter of time before the market for retro games starts trending back downward (in my opinion). And if you want to get a sale sooner rather than later, you'll want to sell it for less than what is normally asked for or it'll be sitting on ebay forever.

The unopened games are a different beast, especially anything on a cart. These are the rarest of the rare, even among million+ selling games. They will be the games hardcore collectors may want in the future (after they complete their loose collection). In my opinion these are the only games (outside of prototypes) that will maintain or increase in value over time (and if you have an unopened Mega Man X3, count your blessings).

End of the day though, this is not an investment. Even the rare unopened games are a crapshoot. Personally I stopped buying retro games around 2012 when the prices started going up a lot. Thankfully I bought a lot of retro games in the early 2000's when people couldn't even give away old games if they tried. If that was the case then, I would expect it to be that case again in the future (if you want a more specific example of why I think game prices are currently inflated, send me a PM).

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Collectibles like this tend to be strongly correlated to generations. Basically when a particular generation reaches its earnings peak it will buy up all the stuff it wanted in its youth (the hot cars of the time, the music collectibles, etc.). At some point that generation wants to unload but the following generations don't have usually have the same affinity to most of the stuff and the price crashes. There are of course some exceptions to this rule but in general the rule holds. If you want to have this stuff because you value you it great, but I would not hold it as an investment.

kinless

Post by kinless » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Practically everybody wrote: SELL
Well then. The jury hath spoken. :moneybag I guess I'm just much more materialistic/sentimental than most BHs. Probably why it took 8 years even bringing myself to pose the question. :) I'll likely start the purge with sealed duplicates, those have the largest values and I really don't need an extra sealed copy.
mxs wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:48 pm
I do not understand the valuation of these or why people would want these but I understand that they do. Personally, I am well aware of emulators and how they have been around for a couple decades and are able to be easily put on smart phones or used to make a homemade game console with thousands and thousands of games across all game systems.
mxs wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 pm
I think their useable life is coming to an end and they are only holding historical value now.
I don't believe the value of these games is solely about the playability. Collectors would buy these in the same way they'd buy unopened action figures, comic books, or model trains. It's more about the sentiment, nostalgia, history as you said, and keeping it pristine for future generations, all points which only make sense to collectors. The cartridge/disc format is definitely degradable and after 20+ years I wouldn't doubt that a few of these sealed discs or cartridge circuit boards may have already failed, but again I don't think that's the primary purpose of collecting vintage games.

You're right, a majority of these games can be found via emulation, digital format, or re-released classic consoles (though not all of them). Digital is obviously the future and it may soon be the only way to play games. I know that concerns some folks not being able to truly "own" the games they purchase but that's another discussion.
daveydoo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:19 pm
These types of pricing guides are generally bogus. Some are even supported by the industry. Even coins and stamps don't fetch anywhere near what the "guides" say -- unless they are something special.

I envision that your items are especially prone to regular-old obsolescence rather than attainment of "classic" status -- because games have evolved so and platforms disappear.

Best test: pick the two most "valuable" and look at recent sales on eBay. If there are none, it either means you have the Mona Lisa or no one is buying them.
As mentioned in my non-TLDR post, I compared sold eBay prices to a number of the $100+ games with PriceCharting and it seemed pretty accurate (within a reasonable margin of error). There were one or two cases where the price guide value was actually much lower than eBay's selling price, so I'm sure any discrepancies can go both directions. Not looking for verbatim values here, just an estimate.

The two most valuable sealed games "Mega Man (NES)" and "Castlevania Dracula X (SNES)" currently have no sold listings, but these are definitely "Mona Lisa" items. I may not be an active collector anymore, but I still have some knowledge about the rarity and prices of classic franchise titles. When doing research in the past I'd look up an individual sold price, smile a bit and move on with my day. I just never bothered to add everything up until now.

Just do a search for "mega man sealed" or "castlevania sealed" on eBay and sort by highest price, which pulls up the older titles. You can see for yourself the prices these games are commanding (and I have most of them).
Snowjob wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:21 pm
I never threw out any of my toys / collectibles from my childhood and its been a slow process of selling old baseball cards, magic cards, comic books and action figures etc. Every few years going to the basement and working through a box or whatever. It feels good to purge, put a few bucks in my pocket and at the same time dust off and take care of the things that I actually want to keep.
Yep, same. Had a bunch of action figures and vehicles from Transformers, MASK, and Hot Wheels that's been purged the last few years. There's still a large box of Masters of the Universe figures/vehicles/playsets in the garage I'm getting ready to offload as well.

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Some titles may continue to go up, but like others said maybe not enough to beat the s&p 500 or other stock investments.

Elite baseball cards such as the 52 Mantle have continued to climb in price over the last 20 years, however they are the exception and not the rule.

I think the key here is you've lost interest and they are collecting dust. This is the part that would seal the deal to sell.

As far as selling you could always do 10 to 20 titles on ebay at a time and see how it goes.

kinless

Post by kinless » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 pm

vitaflo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 pm
I'm a retro video game collector (over 500 titles and 25 systems) and follow the scene pretty closely...
Ah hah! I knew I'd find one of you VG collectors here on BH. :) Thanks for your post, super informative.

Yes, the currently frenzy of retro titles (especially with the attention drawn to them by classic console re-releases) is partly what perked interest in seeing how my slumbering collection was faring. Like you said, I bought at some pretty decent prices in the 2000s before it went nuts and I could no longer reason with escalating prices.

I was definitely one of those "Gotta have it all" collectors at one point, hence the 100+ game Mega Man collection (including sealed duplicates and imports) and 4 bins of collectibles. I was absolutely crazy. Unfortunately no sealed Mega Man X3. :( I do have every Castlevania title from NES to PS3 sealed in a separate box including Dracula X (SNES) which allegedly fetches $1,000+.

The largest eBay sold price I've seen in recent memory is Contra Force (NES) sealed for $50,000. Whether that transaction was completed, I don't know. I have that one complete but opened, worth a wonderful $86.

I'd like to converse further with you without derailing the thread and/or boring the other BH non-collectors. Perhaps I can PM you in the future if that's all right...

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 pm

kinless wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 pm
vitaflo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 pm
I'm a retro video game collector (over 500 titles and 25 systems) and follow the scene pretty closely...
Ah hah! I knew I'd find one of you VG collectors here on BH. :) Thanks for your post, super informative.

Yes, the currently frenzy of retro titles (especially with the attention drawn to them by classic console re-releases) is partly what perked interest in seeing how my slumbering collection was faring. Like you said, I bought at some pretty decent prices in the 2000s before it went nuts and I could no longer reason with escalating prices.

I was definitely one of those "Gotta have it all" collectors at one point, hence the 100+ game Mega Man collection (including sealed duplicates and imports) and 4 bins of collectibles. I was absolutely crazy. Unfortunately no sealed Mega Man X3. :( I do have every Castlevania title from NES to PS3 sealed in a separate box including Dracula X (SNES) which allegedly fetches $1,000+.

The largest eBay sold price I've seen in recent memory is Contra Force (NES) sealed for $50,000. Whether that transaction was completed, I don't know. I have that one complete but opened, worth a wonderful $86.

I'd like to converse further with you without derailing the thread and/or boring the other BH non-collectors. Perhaps I can PM you in the future if that's all right...
Of course, as I said feel free to PM me.

Couple things based on your other responses. I'd hold onto that sealed Mega Man. In fact I'd probably never sell it, same reason I won't sell my NES prototypes. That thing is incredibly rare.

I highly doubt Contra Force actually sold for $50k. That's Nintendo World Championship level of money. Sales that seem like an anomaly on ebay almost always are.

Last, if you have games in your garage, get them out of there and into your house. Keep your collection climate controlled or you'll eventually be sorry (ask me how I know).

locald00d

Post by locald00d » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Sell, but wait until around Christmas time.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:19 pm

kinless wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 pm
daveydoo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:19 pm

...Best test: pick the two most "valuable" and look at recent sales on eBay. If there are none, it either means you have the Mona Lisa or no one is buying them.
As mentioned in my non-TLDR post, I compared sold eBay prices to a number of the $100+ games with PriceCharting and it seemed pretty accurate (within a reasonable margin of error). There were one or two cases where the price guide value was actually much lower than eBay's selling price, so I'm sure any discrepancies can go both directions. Not looking for verbatim values here, just an estimate.
My apologies -- I obviously did not read the thread closely enough. You're way ahead of me! Best of luck!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

youdiditr2

Post by youdiditr2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Whoooa $30K? Sell sell sell.

I wonder what my Sega32x or Atari Lynx is worth????

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:33 pm

kinless wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 pm

I don't believe the value of these games is solely about the playability. Collectors would buy these in the same way they'd buy unopened action figures, comic books, or model trains. It's more about the sentiment, nostalgia, history as you said, and keeping it pristine for future generations, all points which only make sense to collectors. The cartridge/disc format is definitely degradable and after 20+ years I wouldn't doubt that a few of these sealed discs or cartridge circuit boards may have already failed, but again I don't think that's the primary purpose of collecting vintage games.

You're right, a majority of these games can be found via emulation, digital format, or re-released classic consoles (though not all of them). Digital is obviously the future and it may soon be the only way to play games. I know that concerns some folks not being able to truly "own" the games they purchase but that's another discussion.
I can get a very accurate copy of the Mona Lisa for 500 bucks. Most people still find value in the original. I have no clue what the future brings but things like this are vastly differently than things that were made to be collectable. There were 20 million Super Mario brothers made. 19.9 million were immediately opened and beat on for the past 30 years. They have no value. The few that are left in really good condition have value. We aren't talking beanie babies or some collectible that was made to be collected where there are hoards of people who keep copies in mint condition.

Will they outpace S&P500 (or even inflation)? Who the heck knows. The group that would be fans are just hitting the prime years for buying this type of stuff and the things could rise rapidly over the next 20. Or maybe the market will turn out not to be big enough. Nobody really knows. In 10 years they could be worth 4x as much or 1/4th. market timing is hard:)

One thing to think about is if you can actually take care of your collection. Boxes sitting around can get eaten, wet, or a zillion other things that will eliminate the value. That might be an argument to at least paring down the collection (I assume you get no bonus for it being a big one) to a more manageable size.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:41 am

I think an important distinction has been raised here as to the collectible value, useful value, and generation that would be interested. The rare sealed games have extreme collectible value due to being rare. The useful and generation value is probably linked in this case and is likely near the top. These items would be sought after by those who played them when they originally came out. I doubt anyone under 20 would be willing to pay anything near current value if they had the money to spend for these for their own personal use.

Contrast that with say the Mickey Mantle card which is rare, he was a Yankee player, Baseball is still relevant, and he is still considered one of the best players ever.

Another comparison is a classic auto which would be rare and still driveable today. There is a large affinity towards classic cars. Say in 30 years that gasoline is no longer sold due to all cars being electric ( who knows?! ), the value of that auto and all others will suffer due to them no longer being useful.

PS - As I thought Chrono Trigger appears to be one of the top dollar items. Chock that up as another opportunity I missed. *sigh*

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 am

locald00d wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Sell, but wait until around Christmas time.
No, this is the worst time to sell retro games. Family members do not buy games for collectors. Collectors buy them for themselves (and during xmas all their money is going to presents for other people). The best time to sell is tax season because collectors get tax refunds and buy retro games with it.

camillus

Post by camillus » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:24 am

I would sell, and get started soon. The reason I'd say this is that you have a lot of time-cost locked into that asset. It's not like you can hit "sell" on a trader platform and have $30,000 show up in your checking account.

You have a little part-time job waiting for you for a few months. Get started when you have time :happy

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:08 am

Sell them.

If you want to return to classic gaming, emulation is the way to go. I've been having fun with the arcade emulator called MAME. Check it out sometime.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:27 am

lostdog wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:08 am
Sell them. If you want to return to classic gaming, emulation is the way to go. I've been having fun with the arcade emulator called MAME. Check it out sometime.

On the higher end, play-ability has little to do with value of old video games, so emulation has little impact. For example, the 1990 Nintendo World Championship cartridge has sold for six figures (google it) and has truly awful game play.

If I was in kinless' position, I'd probably hold on to everything that is unopened/complete, and sell any loose cartridges.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:09 am

NextMil wrote:
Many things brought their value down mainly the industry itself. Old rare cards can still be worth a ton just like old rare sealed games;)

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:09 am
NextMil wrote:
Many things brought their value down mainly the industry itself. Old rare cards can still be worth a ton just like old rare sealed games;)
Agreed, but I think we can agree the market is a fraction of what it used to be, which can happen to any collectible. I thought baseball baseball cards would have held up better.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:47 am

As said sell...........before they go the way of Beanie Babies!

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:57 am

Finding a buyer is probably going to be the hard part. I'd sell as well.

I'm 45 and grew up playing video games, starting with the original Atari. I feel lucky having spent my school years in mall arcades.

I still play, but not as much. Mostly I just get my butt kicked by my kids at football, soccer, and MarioKart.
Last edited by investingdad on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wangarific

Post by wangarific » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:06 am

Put down another vote in the sell column. You never know what can happen like a flood or fire. :(

If you ever do get the urge to want to play them, chances are you can find an emulator!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:29 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:42 pm
You're not playing them and they're taking up space in your life and garage. If I couldn't sell them, I'd take them down to the thrift store.
+1

also, if you pass away you leave this huge headache to your heirs to deal w/ it. Sell ASAP, enjoy the 30k

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:38 pm

I vote sell.

I love video games; however, you really no longer have to have the original to play them; in fact, it's often better if you don't.

A few years ago, I paid someone around $230 for an original, 2001 XBox with a customized 2 terabyte hard drive.
On that hard drive includes just about every Atari, Sega, Nintendo, NeoGeo, Arcade game you could think of. Plus tons of others.

These games play, for the most part, imperceptibly differently than the original; in some cases, they include additional things you wouldn't actually get with the games (manuals, posters, walkthroughs, pictures, videos, etc...)

There may be something "special" about opening up an unopened Atari 2600 box and plugging it in (assuming your TV has the right connections!), but the ultimate convenience and reliability of a curated emulation system beats it hands down.

Sell what you have while you still can before the rest of generation X figures this out and your collection decreases in value.

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Didn't read all the responses, but I vote sell them all. Then if you still want to play them, take about 100-150$ and buy a raspberry pi and toss retropie on it. Can still play tons of the old games, some of the consoles like the n64 are a little glitchy though unless properly setup. This is exactly what I did and I don't regret it for a second, and I didn't have nearly the collection you do.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 pm

OP, just my $.02, but I'd go at this in a different way: For each item in the collection, I'd pick it up, look at it, and ask myself: Which would bring me greater joy: (1) The money I could get from selling based on the (accurate or not) value I'm being told by some website that it has? or (2) continuing to possess it, whether to play at some later date or brag to others that I own it (not judging!)?

Keep anything in category (2). Anything in category (1) is nothing more than an "investment" (or random junk) to you, and thus a candidate for sale. As for when to sell the category 1 items, others here with similar interests have weighed in, but I'd seek out a gamer collection forum for more accurate predictions about current market price and whether market prices are going up or down for a given item, as well as the best sites/ways to place the item for sale at the highest price. Based on the info gathered, YOU can decide whether you want to continue to hold.

Personally, I'd sell the whole schmear today, but videos games aren't my thing. Good luck!

PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:51 pm

cutterinnj wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:38 pm
I vote sell.

I love video games; however, you really no longer have to have the original to play them; in fact, it's often better if you don't.

A few years ago, I paid someone around $230 for an original, 2001 XBox with a customized 2 terabyte hard drive.
On that hard drive includes just about every Atari, Sega, Nintendo, NeoGeo, Arcade game you could think of. Plus tons of others.

These games play, for the most part, imperceptibly differently than the original; in some cases, they include additional things you wouldn't actually get with the games (manuals, posters, walkthroughs, pictures, videos, etc...)

There may be something "special" about opening up an unopened Atari 2600 box and plugging it in (assuming your TV has the right connections!), but the ultimate convenience and reliability of a curated emulation system beats it hands down.

Sell what you have while you still can before the rest of generation X figures this out and your collection decreases in value.
I really, really enjoyed reading this thread! Incredible to hear about your collection.

I must say that I absolutely hate emulators and for some reason have a mental block where I need to play an official version of something. That said, I am loving the Switch and despite Nintendo's past struggles in properly offering old games, I expect these old titles to get increasingly easier to obtain via official publishers. I'm not one to hold on to unopened things - sort of like vinyl where I would only buy a record to listen to it. Still, I see the appeal to others.

I also say sell...and shed a tear while doing so. Enjoy the Switch, amazing system : )