Can Sneakers go with Business Casual?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Can Sneakers go with Business Casual?

Post by get_g0ing »

[Edited my post after the discussion below]

Answered:
1. Would sneakers be accepted to go with business casual in office environment (to meet clients/customers, etc)? Or would it be faux pas?

Unanswered:

get_g0ing wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:32 am
123 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm If your business casual situation includes Levis/denim (non-designer) jeans then sneakers would go with those in my opinion. If you can also wear a non-designer t-shirt (which could include the company's logo) with the jeans than you'd be pretty safe/consistent.

From my experience there's a pretty broad range covered by business casual with signficant variation by industry/company.
Hi, can you please explain more the role of non-designer vs. designer here? Like why that makes a difference?
And what constitutes designer vs. non-designer? Like which brands.
(I never understood what people meant by designer jeans or shirts, is polo shirt designer?)
2. From the discussion below it sounds like sneakers can be divided in two broad categories:
- Running shoe
- Chuck taylor or vans type shoe.
Some people suggest that chucks/vans can be part of business casual. I'd like to know why this is the case? i.e. what is it about these shoes (vs. running shoes) that makes them okay for business casual? (I used to assume that they are equally informal as running shoes)
Last edited by get_g0ing on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Jags4186

Re: Can Sneakers go with Business Casual?

Post by Jags4186 »

No...
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:50 am Hi,

Would sneakers be accepted to go with business casual? Or would it be faux pas?

By sneaker I mean comfortable running shoe like this:

I think it would depend a lot on the office environment, what others are doing, or if you are meeting with outside clients, or such.

But IF you were doing it, I'd suggest the all black, no color.
And I'd try to avoid the bold emblem in white, too.
And if it had black soles, too, all the better. Then you'd have "black shoes on", and I'd bet most people in a casual environment wouldn't even notice, or if they did, it would be barely noticing.
Having bright colors would just emphasize the foot gear, if different from others.

Keep in mind also that some people may need to wear similar for medical/orthopedic problems, and that's probably more common now.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

Absolutely not.
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

More than a faux pas.

Just no.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

No, but I doubt anyone would say anything about it to your face though.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 amNo...
Leemiller wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm Absolutely not.
lostinjersey wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm More than a faux pas.

Just no.
Can you elaborate the No response a little bit please. I mean what will happen if I do it?
I am asking because I want a clearer understanding of the implication or the consequence.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

My first reaction is no.

I'm not sure "who" gets to decide fashion acceptability. A quick Google search shows a pretty well-established norm around no sneakers.

A reasonable article on business casual norms: https://www.businessinsider.com/what-bu ... ans-2014-8

So, my second and final answer, somewhat literature-based, is still no.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

You could get fired. Or nothing could happen. Or anywhere in between.

To me, business casual means khakis, brown or black non sneaker, non boot shoe, and either button down or polo. Possibly even a blazer if you work in a more formal environment.

Business formal is a suit.

Sneakers are never business casual unless explicitly stated allowed.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

that's a hard no. in terms of "what will happen" if you do it, I have no idea -- it entirely depends on your office culture. but if you're considering meeting "clients/customers" in such an outfit, assume the worst outcome (they think you look like a slob and decide not to hire you or cancel your contract), and then take it from there.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:15 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 amNo...
Leemiller wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm Absolutely not.
lostinjersey wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm More than a faux pas.

Just no.
Can you elaborate the No response a little bit please. I mean what will happen if I do it?
I am asking because I want a clearer understanding of the implication or the consequence.
What would happen? Well, let's take this to the logical extreme. Now we're not talking about sneakers. Let's say you wear bunny slippers to work. Or, go crazy and wear swim fins. How about bloody swim fins? There would be response from your colleagues, customers, your boss. At some point you've crossed a line. So, moving back down the continuum from ridiculous to sneakers, the consequences for being outside the norm would range from not being taken seriously by customers, to your office colleagues thinking less of you or talking behind your back, to your boss saying don't wear sneakers. Or maybe nothing negative happens. But at some point you have crossed a line. I don't know if sneakers would do it in your workplace. The general and safe recommendation is no sneakers. And, definitely don't try bloody swim fins.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

get_g0ing wrote: Would sneakers be accepted to go with business casual in office environment (to meet clients/customers, etc)? Or would it be faux pas?
By sneaker I mean comfortable running shoe like this:
What do other employees wear in the office - and more importantly, what does the boss wear? That's your model. Don't go lower.

What impression would sneakers make on clients and customers? Without them, you have no office to wear sneakers in.

You can buy sneaker-comfort shoes that don't look like sneakers. Rockports, Sketchers. Sebago, etc.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:56 am I think it would depend a lot on the office environment, what others are doing, or if you are meeting with outside clients, or such.

But IF you were doing it, I'd suggest the all black, no color.
And I'd try to avoid the bold emblem in white, too.
And if it had black soles, too, all the better. Then you'd have "black shoes on", and I'd bet most people in a casual environment wouldn't even notice, or if they did, it would be barely noticing.
Having bright colors would just emphasize the foot gear, if different from others.

Keep in mind also that some people may need to wear similar for medical/orthopedic problems, and that's probably more common now.

RM
I have black leather New Balance walking shoes with black rubber soles. There is an N embroidered in black on the side of the shoe and the tongue of the shoe (which is covered by pants when standing) says New Balance. As RM pointed out, they look quite a bit like orthopedic shoes and I have occasionally worn them with business casual clothes when I knew I was going to be doing a lot of walking or standing - but not to meet customers. Easy Spirit is another brand that offers comfortable dressy and casual shoes, but I think they only make women's shoes.

Your best bet may be to buy a comfortable pair of appropriate leather work shoes and get some inserts. Dr. Scholl's offers "Custom Fit" orthotics where you stand on a machine in your socks and they recommend one of ~14 styles based on their pressure measurements of your foot. They offer a money back guarantee, so it may be worth the investment of ~$40 ($50 retail price - $10 rebate). You can find a kiosk near you on their website - I think both Walgreens and Walmart carry them.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Yes, but not those. Not "actual" running shoes.

There are tons of calf-colored and black leather sneaker-ish "shoes" that would work fine and look youthful (unless you're very unyouthful in every other aspect of your appearance and demeanor). And I don't mean the ones in the back of Parade magazine.

Just google and you'll see what I'm talking about. They're always in Esquire and Men's Fitness and all those fashion/lifetsyle mags. I have black Cole-Haans with white sole and they're great. Even good-fitting dark-wash jeans without all the whiskering and bells and whistles are fine.

If you're in doubt, ask your college-aged kids -- they're merciless! :D
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

It depends on what "business casual" means. If it means dress pants, a dress shirt and no tie, then no. If it means khakis and a polo, then maybe. I would argue the later is just casual, not business casual.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

No.

The head of our office always wears sneakers with suits and sport jacket jeans and sneakers and he looks like a complete jerk...which he is, so i suppose it works for him
J295

Post by J295 »

Tend to agree they’re the ones pictured would not generally be appropriate. On the other hand, I think in the right environment shoes like GREATS can work well for “ casual“
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

Is your name Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs? if not, then no.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I actually wore white new balance shoes to work. My feet often hurt and talked to managers in My IT dept. Until we went to open office concept, I kept dress shoes in my desk for “company”.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:50 am Image
JUST DO IT! :twisted:
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Not a good look.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

Can you describe the outfit (type of pants, type of shirt) you would be wearing with this? Typically I think of business casual as khakis or slacks along with a button down dress shirt, maybe sleeves rolled to forearms for business casual. A polo shirt can be worn, but this is getting toward regular casual. Admittedly, "business casual" is a nebulous term, but usually takes place in white-collar offices.

The sneakers you have linked above would only be appropriate in a "casual Friday" type of setting, and even then I would not wear them if I was seeing anyone outside of my co-workers.

If by "business casual" you actually mean jeans and a polo (I would call this casual), then maybe these shoes would be appropriate. Even then, you can find better looking sports shoes to wear to the office.
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

I tend to agree with many others and view this as a firm "no". The problem with giving a firm no or a firm yes however is that fashion is a combo of what society says is appropriate, what the work environment says is appropriate, and how the individual was brought up as to what is appropriate.

IMO, if comfort is the primary reason for sneakers, then you can get your comfort without them. Personally I tend to wear ECCO slip-ons for casual/ light business wear. Whether I'm in a simple polo and slacks, or even a pair of nice jeans on the weekend, having a pair of black and brown Eccos available will generally always be acceptable as long as I'm not needing to be in more formal business wear.

*It's also a bonus they are some of the most comfy shoes I've ever worn, and the soles last a long time too.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

It really depends on the company and work environment. In most cases I would say no. This would be true of most fortune 500 companies and most companies with middle age or older employees.

It may be true that some tech companies or start ups that is common. I worked at a company taken over by a hedge fund and the hedge fund guy who ran the business always wore running shoes.

I would assume the answer is no but look around and if other successful people at a higher level are doing it then it is probably OK.

What will happen? maybe nothing, or maybe somebody tells you that you shouldn't. In some environments it may signal you aren't serious advancement or management material.
Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 »

No way sorry. Get some Slip On Ecco's. very comfy
Watty

Post by Watty »

I agree with "no" to sneakers and I have never been a fashion maven. I was ticketed off when new management said we could no longer wear jeans to the office except on causal Friday.

It really depends on the situation but before I retired I often wore black or brown leather walking shoes which were comfortable and step up from sneakers. I avoided any that had a white or colored sole.

Depending on the situation those could still be pushing it especially for meeting with clients.
In some environments it may signal you aren't serious advancement or management material.
+1
runner540

Post by runner540 »

No.

If you AND your company AND your clients are fashion forward, you could probably pull off some sneaker-like shoes (not the ones pictured). But the fact that you had to ask (meaning it's not common around your office), means it's outside the norm.

If you can wear it to work out, it doesn't belong in the office, and vice versa. If you can wear it to a night club, it doesn't belong in the office, and vice versa.

*of course if you needed to wear them for medical reasons, that would be a different story
bampf

Post by bampf »

I don't wear shorts to the office, but, I know people that do. If your office is concerned about the footwear you choose, get a new office. I generally prefer shoes (not sandals) and pants, but, I draw the line at anything more than that in terms of requirements. Your pants can't be full of holes.
Nescio
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

ssquared87 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:48 pm No.

The head of our office always wears sneakers with suits and sport jacket jeans and sneakers and he looks like a complete jerk...which he is, so i suppose it works for him
J295 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:28 pm Tend to agree they’re the ones pictured would not generally be appropriate. On the other hand, I think in the right environment shoes like GREATS can work well for “ casual“
johnnyc321 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:36 pm Is your name Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs? if not, then no.
Ok, looks like the summary answer is No.
I was just thinking that if I am good at my work, courteous and wearing clean clothes, it shouldn't matter what shoes I'm wearing. Because my feet hurt in other type of shoes after some walking, but sneakers are very comfortable (and I work better if my feet are not aching).

But I will accept the No answer and that it's not a good idea.
(Personally I don't care what shoes someone is wearing, I don't see how it's related to competence).
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

No, but you could probably get away without anyone directly talking to you about it.
It would probably go over better if it were a flat black shoe without the white trim or logos.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:35 pm You can buy sneaker-comfort shoes that don't look like sneakers. Rockports, Sketchers. Sebago, etc.
I like this suggestion. Maybe shoes that look dressy but are comfortable like sneakers?
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

It depends on your corporate culture. I sometimes wear sneakers if -

I am not seeing any clients or key stakeholders
It's Friday
There is some manual work to be done
I'm in my own satellite office and not corporate
I'm not hosting a meeting (in person or webcam)

FYI, I am in IT so we have a relaxed dress code. I sit with desktop support and they regularly wear jeans and sneakers. When I do meet my clients or stakeholder, I am in a shirt and suit. No tie. I hate ties.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Can they? Yes. But not in every situation. I wore an all black New Balance running shoe for years in an IT position within a financial services company. Despite the not invisible "N" on the side, my manager never said anything about a dress code violation. I wouldn't consider a flashy reflective silver white sneaker as appropriate. We had a casual dress handbook that spelled out in considerable detail what was and was not allowed.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

harrychan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm It depends on your corporate culture. I sometimes wear sneakers if -

I am not seeing any clients or key stakeholders
It's Friday
There is some manual work to be done
I'm in my own satellite office and not corporate
I'm not hosting a meeting (in person or webcam)

FYI, I am in IT so we have a relaxed dress code. I sit with desktop support and they regularly wear jeans and sneakers. When I do meet my clients or stakeholder, I am in a shirt and suit. No tie. I hate ties.
Asking this in curiosity and for understanding: what will happen if you wear them in the main corporate office or in front of clients?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:55 pm...
(Personally I don't care what shoes someone is wearing, I don't see how it's related to competence).

People don't know what's going on inside your head, or know your level of competence by seeing you. They will form strong initial judgments on how they see you presenting yourself. You may not get the opportunity to demonstrate your competence, and even if you do, any time they see you doing anything that re-confirms what your visual impression is already putting off, it will make that impression much stronger.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:22 pm

People don't know what's going on inside your head, or know your level of competence by seeing you. They will form strong initial judgments on how they see you presenting yourself. You may not get the opportunity to demonstrate your competence, and even if you do, any time they see you doing anything that re-confirms what your visual impression is already putting off, it will make that impression much stronger.
I like this explanation.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:26 pm

I like this explanation.
It's like the old saying, "you never have a second chance to make a first impression".

Regardless of today's "anything goes" mentality, there are those that will judge you under their norms, regardless of what is considered the current rule/fashion or what you think is "normal".

- Ron
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Ron wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:56 pm
get_g0ing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:26 pm

I like this explanation.
It's like the old saying, "you never have a second chance to make a first impression".

Regardless of today's "anything goes" mentality, there are those that will judge you under their norms, regardless of what is considered the current rule/fashion or what you think is "normal".

- Ron
Everybody does it to some extent. If you see someone dressed as a construction worker, unless they're constantly dancing Y-M-C-A the impression will stick. If your eye surgeon walks in wearing clown shoes, no matter how many credentials are on the wall you're going to reconsider if he starts making balloon animals and talking in a squeaky voice.
Wearing sneakers isn't quite as strong, but if you're seen loafing around casually, that will be a stronger impression then the other good work they forgot you did... maybe giving a promotion to the idiot they've never seen do anything but walk around in a business suit and polished shoes.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

It still boggles my mind that people put up with dress codes at work. It’s such an antiquated concept.
IntangibleAssets

Post by IntangibleAssets »

You can get comfortable, business casual style sneakers for your feet that aren't athletic shoes.

Just an example:https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/men-shoes-sneakers

"McGuffy Lace up"

Frankly once you break in some nice leather loafers with leather soles they are as comfortable as anything else.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Sure, if you are in the creative field like I was (ad agency creative director, than agency owner).
How old are you and what kind of business are you in that you think you can be so casual?
software

Post by software »

As a software engineer at a fortune 50 tech company, most people show up in t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, jeans, polos, pretty much anything really (within reason obviously, no belly shirts lol). So yes, sneakers are definitely acceptable (and the norm). I would even say, you are looked at kind of weird if you show up in a long sleeve button down and dress pants. People think you just came from a job interview.

So to echo what others have said, it really depends on the environment you work in. If no one else is showing up to work in sneakers, I would definitely not want to be "that guy". Kind of a silly reason to potentially hamper your long term career growth. People might not think you take your job seriously (again, if this is not the cultural norm at your company).
rob

Post by rob »

No... but I see it a lot in a trendy company where I work... has to be the right I assume brand because they mostly look the same... no clue what brand.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
MJS

Post by MJS »

get_g0ing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:55 pm ... Because my feet hurt in other type of shoes after some walking, but sneakers are very comfortable (and I work better if my feet are not aching).
If your feet hurt, you're wearing the wrong size of shoe.* Go to an upscale shoe store - Nordstrom, local store - and get properly measured. Instead of $150 sneakers every year, get $200-400 quality shoes every two years. Going cheap when your feet hurt is non-BH. Also, if you have quietly expensive shoes, some people will notice that you spend money on quality not flash.

* Very long or short toes, wide or narrow ball of foot, high or flat arches, bunions, narrow heel ... The typical foot measuring device is calibrated for average.

TMI: Italian shoes run narrow, English shoes run wide, Chinese shoes often have less toe room. If you have narrow or wide feet, or high arches, look for "Derbies" with open facings -- shoes where the lace-up part isn't sewn onto the toe part.
https://www.mrporter.com/journal/the-kn ... -to-ask/62
Read some of the websites on how to lace your shoes to fit your feet: http://archive.spright.com/news/ways-to ... foot-pain/
Take a look at the wear pattern on your shoes - is one side of the heel or ball more worn down? Does the toe have a lot of scuffing? Quality shoes are engineered to fit your feet, foot-strike & stride, as demonstrated by your wear pattern.
Last edited by MJS on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

I would get a black pair of walking shoes.

Checkout the New Balance 674 - https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/pr ... 08220653:s

They can almost pass for dress shoes.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

It's possible but you really have to know what you are doing, and no, contemporary running shoes will be hard to pull off. Some strategies I've seen work in the past:

1) Wearing more classic street style sneakers or limited edition sneakers with suits or sharp blazer/dark denim combination.

2) Wearing vintage or retro style sneakers (Converse All Stars, Common Projects) with a more tonal outfit. Think smart casual.

3) More tech/silicon valley business casual look incorporating wool type sneakers (Allbirds woolrunner) is an emerging option.

I've been exploring some of these options because my new role at work has me on my feet between 3 and 8 hours a day. Been going the Allbirds route with a backup pair of Allen Edmonds if I need to interface with internal clients. My outfit will accommodate both equally.

When I need to resole my AE dress shoes, I'll opt for dainite studded soles to give them more all terrain traction.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

The ones you posted don't even look like you're trying. But if you get something that actually looks like you're trying to blend in with a business environment, but still be comfortable, I think it'd be fine. If you can't tell from across the room that it's a sneaker, i.e. it doesn't look obvious, then it's probably fine. Neither of your photos meet the criteria.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

software wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:42 pm As a software engineer at a fortune 50 tech company, most people show up in t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, jeans, polos, pretty much anything really (within reason obviously, no belly shirts lol). ...
While that may be acceptable in many environments, that doesn't fit a definition of "Business Casual"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

You should have asked about flip flops. We would then grudgingly allow you to wear sneakers.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

stimulacra wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:10 pm Some strategies I've seen work in the past...
+1. Good post!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"