Can Sneakers go with Business Casual?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Can Sneakers go with Business Casual?

Post by 123 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm

If your business casual situation includes Levis/denim (non-designer) jeans then sneakers would go with those in my opinion. If you can also wear a non-designer t-shirt (which could include the company's logo) with the jeans than you'd be pretty safe/consistent.

From my experience there's a pretty broad range covered by business casual with signficant variation by industry/company.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:40 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:20 pm
harrychan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm
It depends on your corporate culture. I sometimes wear sneakers if -

I am not seeing any clients or key stakeholders
It's Friday
There is some manual work to be done
I'm in my own satellite office and not corporate
I'm not hosting a meeting (in person or webcam)

FYI, I am in IT so we have a relaxed dress code. I sit with desktop support and they regularly wear jeans and sneakers. When I do meet my clients or stakeholder, I am in a shirt and suit. No tie. I hate ties.
Asking this in curiosity and for understanding: what will happen if you wear them in the main corporate office or in front of clients?
Honestly, probably nothing. Someone out of courtesy may come up in private and suggest I wear dress shoes. I sometimes see my manager wear spanx / running shoes lol.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:23 pm

harrychan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:40 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
harrychan wrote:

It's Friday

FYI, I am in IT so we have a relaxed dress code. I sit with desktop support and they regularly wear jeans and sneakers. When I do meet my clients or stakeholder, I am in a shirt and suit. No tie. I hate ties.
Asking this in curiosity and for understanding: what will happen if you wear them in the main corporate office or in front of clients?
Honestly, probably nothing. Someone out of courtesy may come up in private and suggest I wear dress shoes. I sometimes see my manager wear spanx / running shoes lol.
What you can get away with, what is generally accepted and what is preferred are 3 different things. In general, do you do the bare minimum at work?

Maybe I am ignorant, but does Spanx offer outer clothing?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:27 pm
The ones you posted don't even look like you're trying. But if you get something that actually looks like you're trying to blend in with a business environment, but still be comfortable, I think it'd be fine. If you can't tell from across the room that it's a sneaker, i.e. it doesn't look obvious, then it's probably fine. Neither of your photos meet the criteria.
This. I guess it depends on what is the definition of "business casual" in your specific environment, but legitimate running shoes are a no-go in pretty much any environment. Although I'm a director-level employee I wear "sneakers" (vans, reefs, casual new balance) to work 90% of the time; basically whenever I am not representing the company in a very public venue, but never would I wear actual athletic shoes unless I was doing manual labor.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:50 am
edit:Most people have given the answer NO. Now I'm looking for an explanation of the implication/consequence or possible outcomes if someone does so?
My initial reaction was "no" for the vast majority of employers, but I recognize that it depends on the company culture. The leaders of any company define what is "ok".

As for consequences, I agree with other posters that it's very specific to the specific company's culture. What have you observed within your company of what others under the same nebulous "business casual" standard are wearing, OP? I'd focus on the C-suite level and down from there.

To give but one example, Zuckerberg wears a grey t-shirt (having ditched the hoodie) and sneakers like those you posted in all his public appearances. If you're Mark Zuckerberg and/or work at Facebook in a valuable role, I'm guessing that the sneaker photos you presented would be fine. A different employer/situation? Well....
Last edited by SoAnyway on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:17 pm

These sneakers are the ones that I wear to climb stairs at work place and go to business casual meetings. I've never perceived any frown-eyes nor negative feedbacks. A physician colleague actually liked the pair so much that he bought a similar pair to alleviate his intermittent attacks of gouty arthritis.

https://www.amazon.com/ECCO-Mens-Sneake ... mens+shoes
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:46 pm

The definition of business casual does not include sneakers, no.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Absolutely. I wear sneakers with my business casual attire every day.

They can fire me if they want. Go ahead, make my day.
Last edited by samsoes on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:52 pm

I've seen full-habit nuns wearing black sneakers.

Just do it.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 pm

123 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm
If your business casual situation includes Levis/denim (non-designer) jeans then sneakers would go with those in my opinion. If you can also wear a non-designer t-shirt (which could include the company's logo) with the jeans than you'd be pretty safe/consistent.

From my experience there's a pretty broad range covered by business casual with signficant variation by industry/company.
My definition of business casual doesn't include jeans or t-shirts. If your office is so casual you can wear jeans and a t-shirt, then any shoes should be fine.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 pm

samsoes wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:52 pm
I've seen full-habit nuns wearing black sneakers.
The nuns' business is more forgiving.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:45 pm

harrychan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:40 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
harrychan wrote:

It's Friday

:shock: I think you mean "spandex" - spanx is a brand name of women's underwear ...hopefully no one is showing this at work!

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Absolutely not

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:48 pm

The answer is entirely dependent on the geography where you sell (you used the word customers) and the business you are in. It's surprising, to me at least, in many places just how much difference shoes make. In some situations you're positively judged if you take your shoes off.
PJW

gostars

Post by gostars » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Previous job (in IT) had a business casual dress code (khakis/polo shirts, jeans on Fridays and any days where grubby work was expected). Non-athletic sneakers were permitted as long as they were solid black and in good shape. I wore New Balance walking shoes and it was never an issue. Those Nikes the OP posted wouldn't have worked.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Some visual ideas for the OP.

I think the key if you want to go this route is to go low profile on the shape and veer towards monochromatic color schemes and keeping things to a single texture and simple shapes.

If your idea is to simply have your gym shoes or running shoes serve double duty. That won't work.

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:20 am

Two general principles -

If you're on the way up, dress for the job you want.

If you're not sure what's appropriate, err on the side of conservative until you are.

My megacorp is business casual, although you'd actually never notice. We're moving to new offices where jeans and sneakers are now OK. Me, I'm near retirement so I embrace these changes with both hands . . . feet.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 am

More companies are going to one step below business casual - and going to just plain "decent" casual. Where I work - jeans, polo shirts, and sneakers are the normal. Even shorts and flip flops are allowed. The company still has a few things that are not allowed - such as tank tops. But slowly work environments are definitely getting more casual.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:00 am

vitaflo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:10 pm
It still boggles my mind that people put up with dress codes at work. It’s such an antiquated concept.
It's an incredibly minor inconvenience that if you are not willing to put up with then someone else of generally equal competence and value will. Of all the things to quibble about, wearing khakis and and a button down is pretty low down on the totem pole.

Although I am a satellite employee, my company's HQ dress policy is "dress for your day". Everyone seems pretty happy with that.

Coato

Post by Coato » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:43 am

I am not a great source since I haven't worked in an office since 2002 (teacher now) but I have worn this pair of sneakers constantly for 4 years and they still look and feel great. You can get a pair for about $260 with welcome offer but the leather is very thick and the sole is well built. Worth it for me as I go through a pair of sneakers in a year so for me at least the cost was good. I wear these (with Superfeet inserts) on all long European cobblestone walking trips too.

Epaulet Trainers

https://epauletnewyork.com/collections/ ... 6704938110

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/ ... 1526090657

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:56 pm
You should have asked about flip flops. We would then grudgingly allow you to wear sneakers.

Victoria
LOL :)

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:45 am

IntangibleAssets wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:17 pm
You can get comfortable, business casual style sneakers for your feet that aren't athletic shoes.

Just an example:https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/men-shoes-sneakers

"McGuffy Lace up"

Frankly once you break in some nice leather loafers with leather soles they are as comfortable as anything else.
I reviewed this but was a little confused. Would the "McGuffey Lace-Up" shoe here be considered a formal shoe? The sole looks sort of white like chuck taylor shoes.

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 am

MJS wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:06 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:55 pm
... Because my feet hurt in other type of shoes after some walking, but sneakers are very comfortable (and I work better if my feet are not aching).
If your feet hurt, you're wearing the wrong size of shoe.* Go to an upscale shoe store - Nordstrom, local store - and get properly measured. Instead of $150 sneakers every year, get $200-400 quality shoes every two years. Going cheap when your feet hurt is non-BH. Also, if you have quietly expensive shoes, some people will notice that you spend money on quality not flash.

* Very long or short toes, wide or narrow ball of foot, high or flat arches, bunions, narrow heel ... The typical foot measuring device is calibrated for average.

TMI: Italian shoes run narrow, English shoes run wide, Chinese shoes often have less toe room. If you have narrow or wide feet, or high arches, look for "Derbies" with open facings -- shoes where the lace-up part isn't sewn onto the toe part.
https://www.mrporter.com/journal/the-kn ... -to-ask/62
Read some of the websites on how to lace your shoes to fit your feet: http://archive.spright.com/news/ways-to ... foot-pain/
Take a look at the wear pattern on your shoes - is one side of the heel or ball more worn down? Does the toe have a lot of scuffing? Quality shoes are engineered to fit your feet, foot-strike & stride, as demonstrated by your wear pattern.
Good advice in this post.

Will you recommend DSW as a good store?

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 am

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:28 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:15 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 am
No...
Leemiller wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm
Absolutely not.
lostinjersey wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 pm
More than a faux pas.

Just no.
Can you elaborate the No response a little bit please. I mean what will happen if I do it?
I am asking because I want a clearer understanding of the implication or the consequence.
What would happen? Well, let's take this to the logical extreme. Now we're not talking about sneakers. Let's say you wear bunny slippers to work. Or, go crazy and wear swim fins. How about bloody swim fins? There would be response from your colleagues, customers, your boss. At some point you've crossed a line. So, moving back down the continuum from ridiculous to sneakers, the consequences for being outside the norm would range from not being taken seriously by customers, to your office colleagues thinking less of you or talking behind your back, to your boss saying don't wear sneakers. Or maybe nothing negative happens. But at some point you have crossed a line. I don't know if sneakers would do it in your workplace. The general and safe recommendation is no sneakers. And, definitely don't try bloody swim fins.
I like the idea of swim fins though. LOL. Also to original poster, don't you haver have significant other?

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:17 am

First, I had a idiot of a pointy hair boss who did give me one good piece of advice. Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want.

Second, I will point out that some people can get away with wearing Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Basketball shoes with a suit. However, the shoes and the suit are immaculate. If you do go down this path everything must be neat, clean, and sharp. No frayed cuff, button down shirt needs to be ironed, etc. It can't be viewed as you trying to dress down, be a slob, etc.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:20 am

stimulacra wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 pm
Some visual ideas for the OP.

I think the key if you want to go this route is to go low profile on the shape and veer towards monochromatic color schemes and keeping things to a single texture and simple shapes.

If your idea is to simply have your gym shoes or running shoes serve double duty. That won't work.

None of those would work in my business casual environment and all would look stupid with a pair of khakis or slacks and a dress shirt.

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:23 am

alex_686 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:17 am
First, I had a idiot of a pointy hair boss who did give me one good piece of advice. Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want.

Second, I will point out that some people can get away with wearing Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Basketball shoes with a suit. However, the shoes and the suit are immaculate. If you do go down this path everything must be neat, clean, and sharp. No frayed cuff, button down shirt needs to be ironed, etc. It can't be viewed as you trying to dress down, be a slob, etc.
Excellent advice, resonated with me.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:26 am

No, thst would not be acceptable. Sneakers are causal full stop — business causal is more Forman l than that.

Andy.

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:27 am

stimulacra wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:10 pm
It's possible but you really have to know what you are doing, and no, contemporary running shoes will be hard to pull off. Some strategies I've seen work in the past:

1) Wearing more classic street style sneakers or limited edition sneakers with suits or sharp blazer/dark denim combination.

2) Wearing vintage or retro style sneakers (Converse All Stars, Common Projects) with a more tonal outfit. Think smart casual.

3) More tech/silicon valley business casual look incorporating wool type sneakers (Allbirds woolrunner) is an emerging option.

I've been exploring some of these options because my new role at work has me on my feet between 3 and 8 hours a day. Been going the Allbirds route with a backup pair of Allen Edmonds if I need to interface with internal clients. My outfit will accommodate both equally.

When I need to resole my AE dress shoes, I'll opt for dainite studded soles to give them more all terrain traction.
I'm not familiar with the terms you used. What is "classic street style sneakers"? (some examples?) What is meant by "vintage or retro style sneakers"?
If there's a website explaining these terminology, that would work too. Thank you.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 am

Is a high five the proper greeting for the queen of England?

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:32 am

123 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi, can you please explain more the role of non-designer vs. designer here? Like why that makes a difference?
And what constitutes designer vs. non-designer? Like which brands.
(I never understood what people meant by designer jeans or shirts, is polo shirt designer?)

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:36 am

Ron wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:56 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:26 pm
JoMoney wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:22 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:55 pm
(Personally I don't care what shoes someone is wearing, I don't see how it's related to competence).

People don't know what's going on inside your head, or know your level of competence by seeing you. They will form strong initial judgments on how they see you presenting yourself. You may not get the opportunity to demonstrate your competence, and even if you do, any time they see you doing anything that re-confirms what your visual impression is already putting off, it will make that impression much stronger.
I like this explanation.
It's like the old saying, "you never have a second chance to make a first impression".

Regardless of today's "anything goes" mentality, there are those that will judge you under their norms, regardless of what is considered the current rule/fashion or what you think is "normal".

- Ron
I worked with a guy who always looked like he left his clothes in the dryer for several days and then got dressed by pulling clothes directly out of his dryer. He was very competent at his job although he did have a bit of an attitude. He ended up tangling with someone higher up in the organization and getting fired. I wondered at the time if he was going to dress that way on interviews and if so would he get any offers?

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:53 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm
This. I guess it depends on what is the definition of "business casual" in your specific environment, but legitimate running shoes are a no-go in pretty much any environment. Although I'm a director-level employee I wear "sneakers" (vans, reefs, casual new balance) to work 90% of the time; basically whenever I am not representing the company in a very public venue, but never would I wear actual athletic shoes unless I was doing manual labor.
I need some education here:
I assumed that vans or chuck tayler type shoes were at the same level of formality or informality as sneakers (running shoes)?

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:10 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:53 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm
I need some education here:
I assumed that vans or chuck tayler type shoes were at the same level of formality or informality as sneakers (running shoes)?
Vans and Chucks are at the same level of formality as running shoes.

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:31 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:23 pm

What you can get away with, what is generally accepted and what is preferred are 3 different things. In general, do you do the bare minimum at work?
That's the reason I made the post in the first place. The intent behind was that if otherwise you do a good job, are cleanly dressed and professional, would your shoes be cared about?

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the link between doing or not doing bare minimum at work and the shoes you are wearing while doing or not doing. You could be wearing a plain toe oxford and do poorly at work.

All else being equal it would make no difference to me personally what shoes a professional I was dealing with was wearing. Whether it's a doctor, lawyer, policeman, etc I can't think of any case where it would make a difference (to me). I will admit that I don't know how common this view is or if it's an anomaly.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:38 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:31 pm
All else being equal it would make no difference to me personally what shoes a professional I was dealing with was wearing. Whether it's a doctor, lawyer, policeman, etc I can't think of any case where it would make a difference (to me). I will admit that I don't know how common this view is or if it's an anomaly.
There has been a fair amount of work done in this area by behavioral economist and psychologist. The perceive value of things can be heavily shaded by surface appearances and prejudices. 2 good examples are doctors and lawyers. It is almost impossible for somebody outside the profession to determine the quality.

One would have to be in a field where results where highly quantitative, and there are few high paying fields where this is true.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:48 pm

davidkw wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:07 pm
I would get a black pair of walking shoes.

Checkout the New Balance 674 - https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/pr ... 08220653:s

They can almost pass for dress shoes.
I would never wear the pairs that you show, and I do expect my employees to show up dressed professionally.

That said:

After getting to the point where a Dr. had to prescribe medicine for me to get through the day, I checked out options
and chose exactly the pair that davidkw posted.

I wear them with dress shirt and dress pants, and I keep a pair of regular dress shoes with orthotic insoles in the office
that I change into if needed for a meeting. This has allowed me to stay in the position that I am in.

If an employee of mine were to require special equipment to do their job, I would certainly work around the issues, mostly
because I would not want to lose them over something as trivial as what shoes they are wearing if that puts them in pain, or
keeps them from being able to do their work.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:53 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:31 pm
That's the reason I made the post in the first place. The intent behind was that if otherwise you do a good job, are cleanly dressed and professional, would your shoes be cared about?
Why would your shoes be cared about, isn't the right question to ask. You either accept the way it is or go work somewhere with no dress code.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:02 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:27 am
stimulacra wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:10 pm
It's possible but you really have to know what you are doing, and no, contemporary running shoes will be hard to pull off. Some strategies I've seen work in the past:

1) Wearing more classic street style sneakers or limited edition sneakers with suits or sharp blazer/dark denim combination.

2) Wearing vintage or retro style sneakers (Converse All Stars, Common Projects) with a more tonal outfit. Think smart casual.

3) More tech/silicon valley business casual look incorporating wool type sneakers (Allbirds woolrunner) is an emerging option.

I've been exploring some of these options because my new role at work has me on my feet between 3 and 8 hours a day. Been going the Allbirds route with a backup pair of Allen Edmonds if I need to interface with internal clients. My outfit will accommodate both equally.

When I need to resole my AE dress shoes, I'll opt for dainite studded soles to give them more all terrain traction.
I'm not familiar with the terms you used. What is "classic street style sneakers"? (some examples?) What is meant by "vintage or retro style sneakers"?
If there's a website explaining these terminology, that would work too. Thank you.
These are all loose terms and very subjective but below is my take.

Classic street style sneakers = Canvas style sneakers from the 1950's ie. Converse Allstars, Jack Purcell (white), Tretorn, and Keds.

Retro Style sneakers = Trainers from the 1970's or skating sneakers from the 1980's, Addidas gazzeles, Nike Cortez, etc… 

One thing to consider. Yesterday's casual shoe is todays business menswear. Wingtip brogues were originally outdoor shoes suitable only for trekking through the bog. The broguing was to allow water to drain from the shoes. Loafers were originally prep school slip ons that a generation later dominated Wall Street.

What are most CEO's in Silicon Valley (i.e. Satya Nadella, Tim Cook, ) wearing today when they do a critical keynote or product launches? More likely than not they're wearing comfortable sneakers and that has widespread impact on business and style norms that'll take years to really trickle down to the managerial class.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:40 pm

I've worn these Reeboks

https://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Mens-Cush ... .0+walking

I've gotten a few comments but I don't care. $25 and I'm comfortable in them after long work outs.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:48 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:40 pm
software wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:42 pm
As a software engineer at a fortune 50 tech company, most people show up in t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, jeans, polos, pretty much anything really (within reason obviously, no belly shirts lol). ...
While that may be acceptable in many environments, that doesn't fit a definition of "Business Casual"
It is a term that is useless. I have seen things like jeans/tshirt listed as acceptable business casual to things like dress shirt and slacks but you can skip the tie and jacket. I would generally go any time jeans are allowed sneakers are fine. Thinks like chinos and kakhis are borderline. And obviously the sneaker matters. My fluorescent green running sneakers are not the same as some black shoe.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:58 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:48 pm
JoMoney wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:40 pm
software wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:42 pm
As a software engineer at a fortune 50 tech company, most people show up in t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, jeans, polos, pretty much anything really (within reason obviously, no belly shirts lol). ...
While that may be acceptable in many environments, that doesn't fit a definition of "Business Casual"
It is a term that is useless. I have seen things like jeans/tshirt listed as acceptable business casual to things like dress shirt and slacks but you can skip the tie and jacket. I would generally go any time jeans are allowed sneakers are fine. Thinks like chinos and kakhis are borderline. And obviously the sneaker matters. My fluorescent green running sneakers are not the same as some black shoe.
It is a very ambiguous term, the one common thread I've heard over and over, and mentioned in the Wiki entry, is "no jeans or t-shirts" ... somehow women are allowed to get away with things that guys couldn't (like those stretchy pants or shirts that are just fancier cut t-shirts).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

MJS

Post by MJS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 am
Will you recommend DSW as a good store?
Chains ... can have excellent stores, of course. Sometimes.

Are most of the sales people over 35 (=people who have been doing this job for at least a decade)? Does this store offer support for orthopedics? Do they carry at least one pair of men's size 6EEE? Or size 14AAA? If no, then ask what local store would be best for hard to fit feet.

Good luck!

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:27 pm

No, I don't think sneakers are allowed under a Business Casual dress code. But that doesn't mean that they can't be part of a professional environment. You just need your professional environment to have a casual dress code. I would guess that I've worn sneakers for 95% of my days in the last 3 years.

IntangibleAssets

Post by IntangibleAssets » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:32 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:45 am
IntangibleAssets wrote:
You can get comfortable, business casual style sneakers for your feet that aren't athletic shoes.

"McGuffy Lace up"

Frankly once you break in some nice leather loafers with leather soles they are as comfortable as anything else.
I reviewed this but was a little confused. Would the "McGuffey Lace-Up" shoe here be considered a formal shoe? The sole looks sort of white like chuck taylor shoes.

Hi Get Going,

No these would not be considered formal at all, they would in my opinion definitely meet the new definition of business casual to for me. I own a pair and wear them quite frequently with Khaki's and a button down.

I am a manager and work at a University, these are acceptable everyday, no one bats an eye at them. Universities have liberal dress-codes for faculty and staff, but I dress for my job and norms of the College I work for.

When I have to wear a suit (2-3 times a month, that is where you need formal shoes, i.e. a nice brown/burgundy cap-toe oxford.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens ... efv1=Brown

hope this helps clarify

get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm

IntangibleAssets wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:32 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
IntangibleAssets wrote:

"McGuffy Lace up"

Hi Get Going,

No these would not be considered formal at all, they would in my opinion definitely meet the new definition of business casual to for me. I own a pair and wear them quite frequently with Khaki's and a button down.

I am a manager and work at a University, these are acceptable everyday, no one bats an eye at them. Universities have liberal dress-codes for faculty and staff, but I dress for my job and norms of the College I work for.

When I have to wear a suit (2-3 times a month, that is where you need formal shoes, i.e. a nice brown/burgundy cap-toe oxford.

hope this helps clarify
I appreciate your feedback.

Those Allen Edmond Oxford plain-toe and cap-toe look amazing!

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Have you considered going to a podiatrist? I There are all sorts of reasons your feet could be hurting. Different people walk with their feet slanting inward, straight ahead, tipping outward. One foot could be different to another, high arches, flat feet etc. etc. In my opinion some of the DIY solutions really are snake oil like some of the inner soles that are sold in stores after you analyze yourself. But a good podiatrist should be able to diagnose any potential issues and recommend a relevant brand of shoes.
Last edited by Lynette on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:24 pm

I always liked to “dress up” on business casual days to stand out.
“Your labor income makes you rich, not your investments.”

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:51 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm
IntangibleAssets wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:32 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
IntangibleAssets wrote:

"McGuffy Lace up"

Hi Get Going,

hope this helps clarify
I appreciate your feedback.

Those Allen Edmond Oxford plain-toe and cap-toe look amazing!
Check their sales, last weekend they had a ton of their mainstays at 40-70% off. Was able to snag some pebble-grained derbys for $100.

This one below is decently discounted for their higher end line.
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens ... 5#start=18

One thing to note. For leather soled shoes, you will have to budget $120 every 2-3 years to have them resoled.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Stuffy bunch. Ask HR imo