Yellowstone and Grand Teton must see and do

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
260chrisb

Yellowstone and Grand Teton must see and do

Post by 260chrisb » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:38 am

Adults only in Yellowstone and Grand Teton next week; must do and see? Thanks.

livesoft

Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton must see and do

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am

We went at this time of year. Everything will change with the weather and health of participants.

Grand Teton: Snake River float early to help acclimate to altitude.
Grand Teton: Hike to Inspiration Point or higher. Play with moose at Moose Lake and bears at higher elevation.
Yellowstone: Hike around Lower Geyser Basin and see dozens of geysers.
Yellowstone: Hike down the two trails to the falls. Uncle Tom's Trail and Artist Point Trail.
Yellowstone: Drive early morning before crowds north from Lake to Tower-Roosevelt. Plenty of Bison, Bighorns, Pronghorns, Deer, Bears, etc. Elk can be seen before it gets warm in the early morning and later in the evening.
Yellowstone: Take your pack, tent, food, bear spray and hike completely around Shoshone Lake. Branch away and soak at Mr. Bubbles.
Yellowstone: Plenty of elk in the streets of Mammoth Hot Springs.
Yellowstone: Pick a few other geysers away from Old Faithful area and go see them. Examples: https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things- ... basins-map

The other Yellowstone threads will have activities for folks who do not want to leave their vehicle.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

akashshah

Post by akashshah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:50 am

I went there with friends a couple of years ago and would highly recommend buying this app - https://gypsyguide.com/tour/yellowstone-grand-teton/. The apps syncs with GPS and the voice will start narrating as soon as you come close to certain points of interest.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 am

Moderators will probably take care of this, but you would likely get more replies by posting in the Personal Consumer Issues thread.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:33 am

Bubba's BBQ in Jackson Hole. ;-)
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

bdaniel58

Post by bdaniel58 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 am

We have been many times but had the most fun last year in the Autumn.
If you like old structures, a little history and photography, go to the Moulton Barn on Mormon Row, Antelope Flats at the Grand Tetons. Get there early in the morning instead of late in the day like we did so the light is right. I need to go back to get better photos.

Here are a couple from Yellowstone.

If anyone is interested, here are the blogs I wrote during our 3 week cross country trip.
https://www.bobbystuff.com/blog/443/tra ... b-category

Thanks

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:36 am

It's so personal and everything depends on the time of day... and what roads are being worked on. I'll just mention a few things that might be slightly offbeat.

I was stunned by the Grand Prismatic Spring. But of course that was part accident. It was completely shrouded in mist from the direction in which we approached it, so we first saw nothing but mist, then traces of color in the mist, and then--boom! wow! unbelievable.

We drove in from Cody. We had read that the Buffalo Bill Highway was very scenic (OK, "the most scenic 50 miles in America.") We basically decided to take about a full day driving from Cody to our campsite at Madison so that we could do the Buffalo Bill Highway, making plenty of stops, and we were glad we did. We really enjoyed it despite the high expectations raised by the slogan. (Also, we realized later on that we had actually seen the school in Wapati that became famous in 2017 because of a political remark--hint: it involved grizzly bears).

I mean, I wouldn't change anything in your trip to include the Buffalo Bill Highway but if you are coming in from the east, consider it an attraction.

Above: Buffalo Bill highway, where we stopped in dumbstruck awe, contemplating where the great hand of Mother Nature herself came down to sculpt the mother rock into the majestic likeness of Bart Simpson.

By good luck we happened to catch a geyser that wasn't one of the very regular ones, just as it was erupting. That was neat. I don't know how you plan for that except by being mellow and taking your time.

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was more spectacular than I expected, we timed it badly and the parking lots were crowded (and we were tired from too much driving, it was at the end of the day). I'd have like to spend more time there. So, that's just the opposite of my "good timing" story.

It's odd that most guidebooks don't mention it, but all of the geothermal stuff literally stinks, and I mean, you know, the classic "rude smell." What to say, except "be prepared." There really is something creepy and infernal about it all.

I wanted to see Old Faithful a second time but my wife was having none of it.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 am

Enter your dates and see the list of Ranger Lead Hikes in the following link: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ ... F16%2F2018#

The National Park Service Rangers have a wealth of knowledge to share as you see the natural beauty.

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:56 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

abcd12345

Post by abcd12345 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am

260chrisb wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:38 am
Adults only in Yellowstone and Grand Teton next week; must do and see? Thanks.
Thank you for this post. I was thinking to post same. Planning to visit there at the end of this month.

abcd12345

Post by abcd12345 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 am

How many days trip should be good for Yellowstone and Grand Teton?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:19 pm

abcd12345 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 am
How many days trip should be good for Yellowstone and Grand Teton?
Depends on you. For me, a minimum of 10 days, plus 4 more in the backcountry.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:31 pm

just got back from Yellowstone/Tetons .... yesterday!

Fishing Bridge is now closed... construction there, whole campground will be redone

Most all ranger talks are now over; reduced staffing is now ~9-5 (since september 5) so rangers are only available for permits/safety/etc and not for presentations

The lodges are still being staffed : Jackson Lodge had some ASSE conference going on, Yellowstone Lodge had a large mix of Japanese and Indian tourists booked there so availability will be limited

I didn’t notice any areas closed due to bear activity... likely because all the bears seem to be tagged so they know where each are and can limit the permits to those areas to prevent problems

The traffic was better than earlier periods, with lower amounts of construction delays (only Norris up to Mammoth was a real problem...and it’s advisable to avoid that route as it’s a number of miles with pilot vehicles and delays are LONG)

Edit: Nisi... we were there when Giant Geyser went off (it’s apparently going off a little more often as it was the thirteenth time this year)

2nd Edit: Uncle Tom’s trail parking area and the South Rim trail (including the walkway to the Lower Falls) is closed, putting pressure on Artist Point (although there were fewer tour buses// in earlier times the buses took all the east side and most of the west parking was converted for them so individual vehicles had very few options)
Part of the Porcelain Basin in Norris was closed due to construction
There was limited parking at the Fairy Falls area, some of the parking was closed (no idea why)

The Tetons were usually clear in the morning, with good visibility of features (get your photos early), but there’s considerable haze in the afternoon and you can’t get good photos, even with a polarizer

The Jenny Lake visitor area is under construction, with limited parking (temporary visitor center and store)
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lewis Clark

Post by Lewis Clark » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Just came back from Teton and Yellowstone about 10 days ago. The air was pretty hazy at times, due to the smoke and soot from the wildfires out west blowing into the area. Anyone who has known respiratory issues should be cautious visiting the area at this time.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:59 am

.... and if you want a SERIOUS workout, try biking up the pass from Jackson towards Idaho (victor, ID) {I know I couldn’t do it}.... it’s a 10% grade :shock: .... on top you can see the whole valley

dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am

Just got back from 5 night camping trip in Yellowstone.

My must do's:
1. Lonestar Geyser - ~5 mi hike (roundtrip) along an abandoned road. Easy hiking. Geyser erupts every 3 hours like clock work. We timed it just right and got there 15 minutes before eruption. Pack a lunch and plan to say a while. Times are sometimes posted on the info board at trail head. Just a couple miles east of Old Faithful. This should be a must on every itinerary.

2. Spend a day at Old Faithful. Walk around Upper Geyser Basin to get away from the crowds. Can see multiple geysers erupting (and put on a better show than Old Faithful). Grotto, Castle, Daisy, and Grand geysers are all spectacular. Walk all the way up to Morning Glory pool. Hike up to the Observation Deck to see Old Faithful.

3. Fairy Falls. Best place to see Grand Prismatic. Continue hike to Fairy Falls. 4 miles roundtrip. Easy hiking.

4. Mystic Falls and Biscuit Basin. Spectacular waterfall. Also great vantage point to look down at Old Faithful and the Upper Geyser Basin. 3.5 miles roundtrip. Easy to Moderate hiking. Some switchbacks and moderate elevation gain.

5. Quick pitstops - Artist Paint Pots (1 hr), Fountain Paint Pots (30 min), Black Sands Basin (30 min), Calcite Springs overlook (10 min).

Be prepared to spend a lot of time driving and bison jams on roadway.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:50 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am
We went at this time of year. Everything will change with the weather and health of participants.

Grand Teton: Snake River float early to help acclimate to altitude.
Grand Teton: Hike to Inspiration Point or higher. Play with moose at Moose Lake and bears at higher elevation.
Yellowstone: Hike around Lower Geyser Basin and see dozens of geysers.
Yellowstone: Hike down the two trails to the falls. Uncle Tom's Trail and Artist Point Trail.
Yellowstone: Drive early morning before crowds north from Lake to Tower-Roosevelt. Plenty of Bison, Bighorns, Pronghorns, Deer, Bears, etc. Elk can be seen before it gets warm in the early morning and later in the evening.
Yellowstone: Take your pack, tent, food, bear spray and hike completely around Shoshone Lake. Branch away and soak at Mr. Bubbles.
Yellowstone: Plenty of elk in the streets of Mammoth Hot Springs.
Yellowstone: Pick a few other geysers away from Old Faithful area and go see them. Examples: https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things- ... basins-map

The other Yellowstone threads will have activities for folks who do not want to leave their vehicle.
This is a great summary.

Also, heading down to Jackson Hole is a great location. Walk downtown, great restaurants, Elk Reserve, whitewater rafting, ATV riding...head over to the ski area and take the tram to the top.

We did this trip as a family last summer. Flew into Montana and worked our way south. We stayed in lodging just north of the park, in the park, then in Jackson Hole. We hiked just about every day. Livesoft is right, if you get more than 500 yards from the road, you won't run into very many people. I also suggest getting to all the sites early. Get up and go by 6-7AM. You can take a nap in the afternoon when a storm rolls through. We absolutely loved it.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 pm

I recommend the Grand Traverse. :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

white_water

Post by white_water » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Take the docent led tour of the Old Faithful Inn, circa 1904, log gothic construction. Per website, tour runs until 10/6/18
Walk the geyser basins in Yellowstone, there are more than just Old Faithful basin.
Visit Jackson Lake Lodge, walk the west side deck and take pictures of the Tetons. Trail ride available.
Rent a canoe, kayak or boat at Jenny Lake in Grand Teton. Bring a camera.
Walk through Yellowstone Lake Lodge in YNP. Oldest of the lodges in the park.
Go up to Mammoth and see the travertine terraces. Fewer visitors, close to the North entrance.
Go to one of the YNP visitor centers and ask where wolves have been seen recently, odds are long, but you might get a peek.
Have a drink on the upper deck at sunset at Dornan's in Moose WY ( east of GTNP visitor center.)

Allixi

Post by Allixi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Scenic areas we hit in August:

Mammoth springs - upper portions were totally dry. The springs that did have water were spectacular
Grand prismatic - best view is actually the overlook that you access from Fairy Falls. Parking was a real challenge
Old Faithful - worth seeing at least once, but probably not more than that
West Thumb basin - not as pretty as I had remembered from 10 years ago. Many of the springs were dry. Backdrop onto Lake Yellowstone was still very nice though.
Hayden Valley - lots of bison rutting. Very impressive
Grizzly and Wolf Center in West Yellowstone - worth a visit

Grand Tetons:
Jackson Lake Dam - nice spot for some pictures
String Lake loop trail - only 3 miles, but felt a bit longer than that
Jenny Lake visitor's center area - undergoing construction, virtually impossible to park after 10 AM. We had to settle for some pictures at the overlook

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:48 pm

I was there in early August and there was a lot of smoke from the California fires when we were in the Grand Tetons so we could barely see the outline of the mountains so that was a disappointment. There was a fire in Yellowstone a few weeks after we were there. Check the current smoke and fire situation.

There are only a few places to get gas in the park and outside the park it can be a long way between gas stations. Keep an eye on the gas gage and fill it up when you get a chance.

We only had cell phone service a few places in Yellowstone so don't depend on that.

The grocery stores in the park were more limited than my low expectations and there may be less as the peak season winds down. It would be good to get any needed supplies before you get in the park.

Check out the moonrise and moonset times when you will be there and try to get out on a clear moonless night to see the stars. Bundle up and give your eyes 30 minutes to adjust and you will be amazed at how many stars you will see.

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/usa/west-yellowstone

dunkmachine wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am
3. Fairy Falls. Best place to see Grand Prismatic. Continue hike to Fairy Falls. 4 miles roundtrip. Easy hiking.
+1

I am an amateur photographer and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We turned around at the Grand Prismatic springs overlook so the hike was shorter for us.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Watty

as I noted, I JUST got back... haze only in the afternoon

the parking lot for the fairy falls was limited, some areas were closed (don’t know why) and you know that it’s the best location for an overall view of the site...takes a bit of a hike to get there (not overly bad, just a bit of elevation)

as for gas, most stations (Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Mammoth, etc) were open until about 7 pm.... they may be more limited since it’s after prime season

other than those, the nearest is at West Yellowstone, Jackson, or Gardiner —- outside the parks

They already note that only a few areas have cell coverage, and those that do have weak signals, and we found that we could get voice and sometimes message but not strong enough for internet

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Re: Cell coverage. Some of the Visitor Centers and lodges have coverage. Employee housing has wireless coverage, so if you know where it might be (secret! not marked!), then you can get some. Sometimes the lodges charge for wireless.

But if you are expecting to use maps that are not already downloaded as offline maps into your cell phones, think again.