Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Locked
investingdad
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by investingdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am

I'm not seeking medical advice.

I broke a front tooth as a kid. Long story short, incomplete root canal led to a abscess that was finally treated last year.

However, bone isn't healing properly so tooth has to come out. Bone graft needed, then the implant after it's healed.

I've stated my desire to be sedated. I've had general once for wisdom teeth extraction. This time I'm thinking nitrous. Oral surgeon does both and leaving it to me. He thought procedure will take 20 or 30 mins.

I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.

Thanks!

Dottie57
Posts: 4473
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:04 am

investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I'm not seeking medical advice.

I broke a front tooth as a kid. Long story short, incomplete root canal led to a abscess that was finally treated last year.

However, bone isn't healing properly so tooth has to come out. Bone graft needed, then the implant after it's healed.

I've stated my desire to be sedated. I've had general once for wisdom teeth extraction. This time I'm thinking nitrous. Oral surgeon does both and leaving it to me. He thought procedure will take 20 or 30 mins.

I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.

Thanks!
I had a front tooth implant. I was given a sedation that allowed me to follow instructions but have no memory of them. It worked.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7202
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:08 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:04 am
investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I'm not seeking medical advice.

I broke a front tooth as a kid. Long story short, incomplete root canal led to a abscess that was finally treated last year.

However, bone isn't healing properly so tooth has to come out. Bone graft needed, then the implant after it's healed.

I've stated my desire to be sedated. I've had general once for wisdom teeth extraction. This time I'm thinking nitrous. Oral surgeon does both and leaving it to me. He thought procedure will take 20 or 30 mins.

I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.

Thanks!
I had a front tooth implant. I was given a sedation that allowed me to follow instructions but have no memory of them. It worked.
These sedations that cause one to "forget"... I've always worried... would I still feel total agony and just not remember?
That doesn't seem acceptable :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jebmke
Posts: 8365
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:17 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:08 am
These sedations that cause one to "forget"... I've always worried... would I still feel total agony and just not remember?
That doesn't seem acceptable :annoyed
When I had one done, they started with novacaine. The sedation was just to de-stress.

When they do cataract surgery they use something different because they need you responsive even though you won't remember.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Ruger
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by Ruger » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 am

Although I haven't had dental implants, I had general when I had my wisdom teeth removed and nitrous when I have a crown put on.
Both worked fine. With the nitrous I can remember hearing a distorted version of the dentist talking to his assistant, but that is is.
Don't remember anything about the procedures while they were being done, and after affect of both was about the same. I could
have easily driven myself home afterwards, but they required me to have someone pick me up.
If I was to chose today, I would go with nitrous because it seems a safer choice.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2272
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 am

I've had IV sedation for wisdom tooth extraction and periodontic work. No complaints at all.

I have the impression that nitrous (oxide) is not much used these days. One dentist remarked that one advantage is that he got to...participate...a bit because of leakage.

Dottie57
Posts: 4473
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:06 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:08 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:04 am
investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I'm not seeking medical advice.

I broke a front tooth as a kid. Long story short, incomplete root canal led to a abscess that was finally treated last year.

However, bone isn't healing properly so tooth has to come out. Bone graft needed, then the implant after it's healed.

I've stated my desire to be sedated. I've had general once for wisdom teeth extraction. This time I'm thinking nitrous. Oral surgeon does both and leaving it to me. He thought procedure will take 20 or 30 mins.

I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.

Thanks!
I had a front tooth implant. I was given a sedation that allowed me to follow instructions but have no memory of them. It worked.
These sedations that cause one to "forget"... I've always worried... would I still feel total agony and just not remember?
That doesn't seem acceptable :annoyed

RM
All I can say is I was a happy camper. No residual pain at all.

I just had the same type of sedation for endoscopy and colonoscopy. It worked well too.

If I don’t experience or remember pain, I don’t think I care.

mariezzz
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by mariezzz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:09 am

I was completely aware throughout the entire process. They numbed everything up with novocaine (or perhaps something else?) but nothing like nitrous) so there was no pain & had me take ibuprofen before doing the implant (then continue taking it for a couple of days, both for pain & inflammation). The surgery was quite interesting. I guess if you're highly anxious about the dentist, being alert wouldn't work, but for most people, there's no need to be unaware.

The following likely wouldn't occur outside of a dental school: The most annoying thing was the assistant's failure to suction the back of my throat adequately. She was a dental student and although the resident doing the implant told her up front that was her most important role, she really didn't get it, so I had to try to signal with my eyes & point (you can't talk) - she did get better.

investingdad
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by investingdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 am

I really just want something mild to destress, I'm assuming it would be used in conjunction with novocaine.

The original root canal work when I was 12, then 17, with the "family" dentist was... stressful and painful. It may have been 30 years ago, but I can recite the details like it was yesterday.

barnaclebob
Posts: 2957
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 am

Nitrous is great and I'll gladly pay the extra $35 for it for fillings. Cheaper than a few drinks and no hangover. It doesn't really make me not feel pain or erase my memory but it makes me not care as much about whats happening and makes my body a little numb.

I've never had any serious dental work done but would probably want more than nitrous for a bone graft.

jebmke
Posts: 8365
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am

investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 am
I really just want something mild to destress, I'm assuming it would be used in conjunction with novocaine.

The original root canal work when I was 12, then 17, with the "family" dentist was... stressful and painful. It may have been 30 years ago, but I can recite the details like it was yesterday.
I sympathize about the stress. I grew up in a military family and the army dentists at the time didn't even use novacaine for drilling and filling.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

mrb09
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:02 am

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by mrb09 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am

Had that for my last implant, extraction of a cracked tooth + bone graft.

I was full sedated once for an extraction and didn't like the recovery time -- was nauseous and couldn't drive after. For my second extraction, since I'm pretty nervous around medical procedures in general, nitrous took the edge off for me and was better than being fully sedated. Could have done without though and I would have survived. This in addition to the novocaine of course.

After the extraction and bone graft, I just did regular novocaine for the implant screw itself. That was "less than a cavity" experience for me.

User avatar
monkey_business
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by monkey_business » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 am

investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I broke a front tooth as a kid. Long story short, incomplete root canal led to a abscess that was finally treated last year.
Have you had this evaluated by an endodontist? Is an apicoectomy an option?

goblue100
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by goblue100 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 am

I did IV sedation as a youngster for my wisdom teeth. I've had one implant with Nitrous and one with just Novocain. For a 20 minute procedure I personally wouldn't do anything other than Novocain, but I have a high tolerance for them doing stuff, as long as it doesn't hurt. Some people freak out if there is pressure or cracking noises. For them, sedation may be the way to go.
Maybe I have a shortage of the right receptors for Nitrous, but the time I got it I was not too impressed. Seemed to make my nose numb, and not much else. I wouldn't say I felt less anxious about the procedure.

The time I did Novocain only, the Oral Surgeon told me it was nice working on someone who could follow commands for a change, so I must be in the minority.
Can't take it with you when you're gone | But I want enough to get there on - Rollin with the flow - Jerry Hayes

investingdad
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by investingdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 am

Yes, the endo retreated the two affected teeth. His assessment is that, after a full year, the one is healing but the one that I broke is not. He suggested removing the one that isn't healing. Both he and the oral surgeon believe doing an apio will risk the non broken tooth if it doesn't work. I used my project engineer skills to get them to share xrays and have a conversation with each other and advise back to me. Extracting the one, they believe, will save the other.

I believe this is the best compromise, as do they.

itsgot8
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by itsgot8 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 am

Ruger wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 am
With the nitrous I can remember hearing a distorted version of the dentist talking to his assistant, but that is is.
This is similar to what I experienced as well, along with feeling like I was spinning. At first the feeling of spinning made me uncomfortable but I got used to it and it slowly subsided. The Nitrous did make me feel very relaxed, in addition to not feeling any pain. It was like I had a half dozen cocktails while sitting on the beach. And I was able to drive myself home. The Nitrous effect wore off shortly after the dentist stopped administering it.

My overall belief is that Nitrous is great!

MSO4PRN
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 am

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by MSO4PRN » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:58 am

https://www.amazon.com/Impeccable-Culin ... gers&psc=1

do a couple of whippets at home, see how it goes.

I would go IV sedation personally

versed is $

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7595
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:05 pm

goblue100 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 am
The time I did Novocain only, the Oral Surgeon told me it was nice working on someone who could follow commands for a change, so I must be in the minority.
I'm old enough to have had 2 friends not come back from general, albeit years ago. Still, if I don’t have to, I won’t.

I’ve had nitrous once, to curb an overactive gag reflex while getting an impression made. It was brief and worked.

I’ve had many implants, root canals, bone grafts, sinus lifts, etc. I do them with Novocain only. If I were anxious, I’d ask for a Xanax. In the past, the oral surgeon or dentist would prescribe unconscionable numbers of Oxycodone for the post operative pain; he no longer does that. I find that the synergistic effects of extra strength Tylenol plus Advil kills pain as effectively, doesn’t give me fuzzy head, is not addictive, and doesn’t cause constipation if I have to take it for a few days. Win win.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7202
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:07 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am
investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 am
I really just want something mild to destress, I'm assuming it would be used in conjunction with novocaine.

The original root canal work when I was 12, then 17, with the "family" dentist was... stressful and painful. It may have been 30 years ago, but I can recite the details like it was yesterday.
I sympathize about the stress. I grew up in a military family and the army dentists at the time didn't even use novacaine for drilling and filling.
:shock:

Uh, "thank you" (not!) for sharing.
Gasp!

I'll be having nightmares.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

SimonJester
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by SimonJester » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:09 pm

I just had an implant placed in a front tooth a little over a month ago. Mine did not involve an extraction as that tooth was extracted years before in a similar situation to yours (Root canal, abscess, extraction, 2x bridge failures :( ). I went with local Novocain only, it wasn't a big issue for me as I have had some extensive dental work. Ive had nitrous and been put under for dental work. I would go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Dealing with my dental insurance has been more painful then the procedure :x
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4046
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm

investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.
Nitrous works better at New York's altitude than Denver's. Where do you live?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

batpot
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by batpot » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 pm

You'll still be conscious with nitrous, but less so than with just a local (i.e. novacane).
I would have preferred nitrous over the anesthesia my dental surgeon insisted on when I had my wisdom teeth removed.

If nitrous is an option, take it.
Then watch Little Shop of Horrors while you're recovering. :beer

Teague
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by Teague » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm
investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.
Nitrous works better at New York's altitude than Denver's. Where do you live?
For race cars or dental procedures? And why?
Semper Augustus

Yooper16
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 am

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by Yooper16 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:49 pm

There is also a sedation where you take a valium or equivilant the night before-- take a final one a specified time before the procedure. Then you also get nitrous and numbing agent. Designed for all of us nervous Ned/Nellies types.

Anyway that's been my experience. Best way to go.

SimonJester
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by SimonJester » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Teague wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm
investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.
Nitrous works better at New York's altitude than Denver's. Where do you live?
For race cars or dental procedures? And why?
Perhaps its because when living at Denver's Altitude there is no oxygen in the air so your brain is already used to hypoxia :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Teague
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by Teague » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:04 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 pm
Teague wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm
investingdad wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 am
I'd appreciate input from folks that have had this done and opted for the nitrous over general.
Nitrous works better at New York's altitude than Denver's. Where do you live?
For race cars or dental procedures? And why?
Perhaps its because when living at Denver's Altitude there is no oxygen in the air so your brain is already used to hypoxia :D
Because the O2 has been displaced by cannabis smoke? :D
Semper Augustus

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 5731
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by midareff » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:12 pm

I had nitrous more than 50 years ago for wisdom teeth. Every procedure since then, implants, bone grafts, etc., are done awake with Novocaine.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48006
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Your experience with Nitrous for a dental implant?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice - anesthesia). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Locked