Nest vs Arlo (or other) security camera & system

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
imyeti2

Nest vs Arlo (or other) security camera & system

Post by imyeti2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Hello,

I've been contemplating adding a few security cameras around our house. House being on a corner lot, lot of traffic (both car and people) near our house.

Was wondering whether to go with Nest or something else. Thinking about the Nest thermostat and the smoke/CO alarms etc. Is there any merit to going with the whole Nest ecosystem? Or just try to find the best value with different devices. One risk with all things Nest would be that if one device is hacked into, the hacker could pretty much have access to other devices. Can this be true?

Happy to hear experiences with Nest and/or other systems like Arlo. Thank you.

Yeti.

9liner

Re: Nest vs Arlo (or other) security camera & system

Post by 9liner » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Just installed 3 Ring floodlight cameras, 2 Ring doorbells, and the Ring alarm system. What drove me to Ring was the hardwired security cameras vs battery and the $10/month price, all-inclusive, to include central monitoring. I was previously paying $25/month for SimpliSafe which only afforded me a central alarm.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:20 am

Go hardwired for security cameras.

I can guarantee that the exact time you want to look at the video from the camera will be when someone has neglected to recharge the battery.

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:50 am

I have a few Netgear Arlo Q cameras for home security. The free cloud data backup service is a good value (120 sec, retained for 7 days). The cameras are powered by USB cable, so no batteries to change. Not recommend for outside use. However, I have placed one outside, under an overhang, with good results for 2 years (except for the spider webs that occasionally form in front of the lens).

Wyze has a similar camera with free storage. The cameras are $20 (you have to buy separate micro SD card). I have one I am trying, okay so far. Great price.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am

imyeti2 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 pm
Happy to hear experiences with Nest and/or other systems like Arlo. Thank you.
My neighbor uses Nest and loves them! Has houses in other countries and can easily check remote from iPhone when a face is recognized.

DragonJoey3

Post by DragonJoey3 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:03 am

Nest is the Apple of the home security/automation world. It's very overpriced, but you pay a premium for good products that just work and have an amazingly good software.

I'm a software developer, so I could write a bunch of custom stuff and wire together an amalgamation of different systems, but when it came to my home I decided to just go with Nest and went all in on it. I don't have any cameras yet (that's next on the list) but I do have the door lock, security system, and thermostat; and I love all of them. The integration in the app is great. When I get home I can put in my code on the door and the alarm turns off the thermostat sets to the right temperature, and the whole thing just works great.

The main drawback to Nest is the cost of "Nest Aware" which is as I understand it a "PER CAMERA cost of $5/month" That means if you want cloud backup, with facial recognition and all that fanciness then you are paying quite a bit monthly to get it. That being said I -- like many on this board -- am in a pretty high income bracket, so I probably won't mind it when I decided to get the cameras.

My experiences with Nest have been nothing short of fantastic, and that's my perspective on it.

DelmarvaDC

Post by DelmarvaDC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 am

I have three cameras by Kuna. They are a porch light/camera combo that uses the hard wiring for the light to power the camera. You leave the light switch on but the light and camera are motion activated. There is no night vision; instead, Kuna relies on the emitted light to provide visibility (which means an especially bright light can drown out the image). I would recommend Kuna if you are placing cameras only where you have pre-existing wiring; if not, I would pass.

You can also purchase just the camera and "tether" the camera to your exiting light; I know very little about this product line.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:19 am

I bought an Amazon CloudCam on Prime Day. We have it setup as a kids room/baby monitor. It's fantastic and stores the video in the cloud whenever there's a person or motion detected. Now, when one kid starts screaming I can review the feed to see who hit who! :D I can view the feed on a phone/iPad app, browser, or any Alexa/Fire device. For example, with a Fire TV or Echo Show all I have to is say "Show me the kids room."

I paid $59 and have zero complaints about the device.

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 am

I have 6 Arlos (and also some older Netgear cameras and an ADT camera) and am pretty happy with the system. Battery life is good and I didn't mount them in ridiculously hard to reach places so changing the batteries is easy enough since I only have to do it a few times a year. Your high traffic cameras will get low first so what I did is buy a couple of extra batteries and a charger (I think Costco used to sell a pack that came with these accessories). I just top those up and then switch my main entry cameras with those since they get changed more frequently than the other cameras. Then just use the recharged batteries from the main entry cameras and rotate them around whenever a camera gets low. If you are mounting them outdoors you don't want to have to remove your camera to charge the batteries since you'd then have to remount and re-aim it once it was charged. Much easier to leave the camera mounted/aimed, crack it open, switch battery pack and then close the door. Done in one trip up the ladder. :happy

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am

We have multiple Nest cameras: outdoor, indoor, and doorbell. They work great. We picked Nest because it's hardwired to power, so we just simply set it and forget it. I really don't want to bother with recharging batteries. Also it's continuously record so we can go always back and look at the history. Compared to other systems, Nest cameras are a bit more pricey. When we first chose Nest, other options were more limited (e.g. no hardwired power), and Nest seemed like the obvious choice. So the next camera we added was also a Nest because I didn't want to mix system (although for a while I was considering Ring doorbell before Nest came up with their own).

We also have Nest CO+Smoke detector. Again, there's not really any contender for something like this, and so another Nest integration makes sense.

For the thermostat, we use Ecobee since it's a much more customizable. After some reading, I don't think I like the 'learning' thermostat from Nest. I wanted to be able to set it precisely.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:50 am

I have two Vimtag B3-S that I bought on Amazon.
They record to internal micro SD card (not included) and also to their DVR which they call a CloudBox.
Connect by wifi or Ethernet cable to your router.