Gentlemen: underwear shopping question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
2pedals

Gentlemen: underwear shopping question

Post by 2pedals » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:08 am

I find my inexpensive cotton briefs when traveling on an airplane uncomfortable. Do you think something like the ExOfficio Give-N-Go would work better? Any recommendations?

ResearchMed

Re: Gentlemen: underwear shopping question

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

2pedals wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:08 am
I find my inexpensive cotton briefs when traveling on an airplane uncomfortable. Do you think something like the ExOfficio Give-N-Go would work better? Any recommendations?
There is a recent and very active post about just this topic! :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=256574&hilit=underwear

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

t3xn

Post by t3xn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:18 am

Adidas, best I've ever worn

$17.99 for a 3 pack at costco but they sell them in other stores also
https://www.costco.com/Adidas-Men's-Spo ... 15554.html

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am

The Ex Officio give n go is my favorite travel underwear of choice. I wear the regular boxers, but I assume their briefs are also very nice.

They're made well, but a common complaint is that after many wears the waistband gives out, rendering the underwear useless. This happened to my first pair, but I traveled with them for over 10 years before it happened. Other than comfort, the other big advantage is how fast they dry. I typically travel with 3 and do a quick sink wash each evening, and by the morning they're dry and ready to go.

Best thing to do is buy one pair and try them out. Everyone's body is shaped differently, so your experience may be different than mine.

Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:39 am

I convert both my underwear and undershirt to Uniqlo AIRism ones. Light weight and very comfortable all around. They're good for traveling and minimalist lifestyle.

Uniqlo refuses to sell their brand on Amazon so you'll have to order somewhere else if buying online. Luckily, there's an Uniqlo store in my town.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Thank you for your input

I think I am going to try out a few different brands, based on reviews on the previous thread and here. I am getting tired of the cheap cotton briefs made poorly in today's factories.

camillus

Post by camillus » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Just a thought. Are your undies sufficiently broken in?

Perhaps you should give them another 5 years and revisit.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Transitioned to seamless poly blend "moisture wicking" performance briefs some years ago. As a result there have been no issues downstairs.

Asics use to make these, but they have been discontinued. A definite sign of age when a manufacture stops making your favorite underwear.....

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:52 pm

What is your budget? If you are willing to check out higher-end products, I find these extremely comfortable:

https://taniusa.com/products/swisstouch ... -underwear

They always have sales, and frequently discounted multipacks, so the quoted list price is fictional.

Andy.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:13 am

t3xn wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:18 am

you betcha. I like these a lot.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:58 am

I recommend these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077V2VLWX/

$14.99 for a 5 pack.
No cotton
60% Rayon, 40% Polyester

Got them by mistake. But it's a mistake I"m glad I made. Not ever going to buy cotton undies again.

msk

Post by msk » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:02 am

LoL! After age 55 just get yourself loose boxer shorts, nothing clinging. Best move I made. The clinging ones are for younger men not to display their "excitement" too conspicuously. Past a certain age there isn't much "excitement" to contain :twisted:

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 am

I'm cheap with clothes like super cheap. But best buy clothing I've ever made was $20 a piece under armor briefs.

Which seems crazy expensive to me.

Comfortable and wicking.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 am

climber2020 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am
The Ex Officio give n go is my favorite travel underwear of choice. I wear the regular boxers, but I assume their briefs are also very nice.

They're made well, but a common complaint is that after many wears the waistband gives out, rendering the underwear useless. This happened to my first pair, but I traveled with them for over 10 years before it happened. Other than comfort, the other big advantage is how fast they dry. I typically travel with 3 and do a quick sink wash each evening, and by the morning they're dry and ready to go.

Best thing to do is buy one pair and try them out. Everyone's body is shaped differently, so your experience may be different than mine.
A big +1 on this. And, yes, the waistband does eventually wear out, but it takes a while. I've liked mine so much that I've moved from them just being for travel to them being my go-to underwear for daily use. I also buy the similar ones from Duluth Trading Company...

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:59 am

I think the BH approach would be to go commando on airlines and save the additional expense of special undies
4nursebee

dowse

Post by dowse » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 am

Wouldn't the Boglehead approach to this be to own fewer pairs? After all, one can get four days use per pair - frontwards, backwards, turn inside out and repeat! :D

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 am

I began buying these for travel about 8 years ago. Eventually I got to the point that they are what I wear at all times. The pockets are very handy for securing some extra cash, passport, backup credit card, room key card, etc while traveling. Plus they're a handy place for carrying your cell phone when walking about your hotel room before getting dressed or when lounging around in the evening. They dry out very quickly when washed.

https://www.scottevest.com/shop/mens-un ... -men.shtml

I also prefer their travel vests and a few of their other products. Once you sign up for notifications, they frequently offer some products at a nice discount.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 am

spectec wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:20 am
I began buying these for travel about 8 years ago. Eventually I got to the point that they are what I wear at all times. The pockets are very handy for securing some extra cash, passport, backup credit card, room key card, etc while traveling. Plus they're a handy place for carrying your cell phone when walking about your hotel room before getting dressed or when lounging around in the evening. They dry out very quickly when washed.

I also prefer their travel vests and a few of their other products. Once you sign up for notifications, they frequently offer some products at a nice discount.
Thanks for the information, very nice and interesting products. I never knew someone could buy travel boxers with pockets. They could be great for traveling and when walking around in unknown or seedy areas.
Last edited by 2pedals on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 pm

2pedals wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 am
spectec wrote:

Thanks for the information, very nice and interesting products. I never knew someone could buy travel boxers pockets with pockets. They could be great for traveling and when walking around in unknown or seedy areas.
I'd like to see them add a third rectangular pocket large enough to hold currency flat without folding it. Size would need to be optimized to accommodate most currencies, but not necessarily all. That feature would completely eliminate the need for a money belt when traveling where credit/debit cards are problematic. So far they haven't responded to my suggestions, so I have to carry a money belt that I also safety-pin to the waistband of this underwear. :)
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:16 pm

I recently took a 3 1/2 week trip to France, packing only 2 pairs of Ex Officio travel underwear.

Every evening I would spend a couple of minutes rinsing out the pair I wore in the sink and hanging it to dry on an elastic travel clothesline.

The next day I would wear the other pair. The first pair would always dry within less than a day.

Despite the high price, the ease of traveling with only 2 pairs of light and comfortable underwear made it worth it.

I also have Jockey travel underwear. It is a little heavier and not quite as comfortable but cheaper and fairly close in comfort.

Twood

Post by Twood » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:13 am

My ex-commercial pilot friend recommends all clothing be cotton for plane flights, due to fire risk.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:33 am

spectec wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 pm
2pedals wrote:
spectec wrote:

Thanks for the information, very nice and interesting products. I never knew someone could buy travel boxers pockets with pockets. They could be great for traveling and when walking around in unknown or seedy areas.
I'd like to see them add a third rectangular pocket large enough to hold currency flat without folding it. Size would need to be optimized to accommodate most currencies, but not necessarily all. That feature would completely eliminate the need for a money belt when traveling where credit/debit cards are problematic. So far they haven't responded to my suggestions, so I have to carry a money belt that I also safety-pin to the waistband of this underwear. :)
Intriguing, but I would feel a bit guilty paying anyone with sweaty currency that has been marinating in my underwear all day long :D

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:24 am

spectec wrote:
2pedals wrote:
spectec wrote:

That's pretty disgusting

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:23 am

I’ve always heard money is really dirty. Now I know why.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:48 am

dcabler wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 am
climber2020 wrote:

A big +1 on this. And, yes, the waistband does eventually wear out, but it takes a while. I've liked mine so much that I've moved from them just being for travel to them being my go-to underwear for daily use. I also buy the similar ones from Duluth Trading Company...
+2 in Ex Officio. I used mine on some long haul (16+ hour) flights and continued to wear them while traveling in different cities. I have only had them for a couple of years and don't wear them daily (more like weekly), so I haven't noticed any unusual wear and tear.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:54 am

2pedals wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:08 am
My recommendation is to stop wearing either briefs or boxers and instead wear boxer briefs. I did that a few years ago...I switched from briefs to boxer briefs and I am glad I did, they are so much more comfortable. I recommend the Hanes tagless boxer briefs.

https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/hanes- ... sktop_SPZ1
Last edited by mptfan on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

spectec

Post by spectec » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:55 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:24 am
spectec wrote:
2pedals wrote:
spectec wrote:

That's pretty disgusting
No different than carrying currency in a cloth money belt or an Eagle Creek Undercover Hidden Pocket. But it is best to put it in a plastic bag before placing it in any of the above. That's what I do with money and my passport.

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am

Ex-officio here too, but of the 4 pairs I had for international travel and overnight trips on boats only 1 of them still has any elastic in the waistband. Granted, I have had them for years, but the waistband wearing out is a "thing". I will likely buy more for the next adventure travel type trip I take. I haven't found anything else that beats them for comfort that can dry as quickly as they can and packs that small.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 am

queso wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am
Ex-officio here too, but of the 4 pairs I had for international travel and overnight trips on boats only 1 of them still has any elastic in the waistband. Granted, I have had them for years, but the waistband wearing out is a "thing". I will likely buy more for the next adventure travel type trip I take. I haven't found anything else that beats them for comfort that can dry as quickly as they can and packs that small.
Patagonia made an excellent quick dry underwear (Capilene Daily Boxers) that is just as good and without the waistband issue, but sometime in the last couple of years they changed the design and the reviews have gotten worse. Hopefully they redesign them again sometime soon because the previous iteration was great.

queso

Post by queso » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:20 am

climber2020 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 am
queso wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am
Patagonia made an excellent quick dry underwear (Capilene Daily Boxers) that is just as good and without the waistband issue, but sometime in the last couple of years they changed the design and the reviews have gotten worse. Hopefully they redesign them again sometime soon because the previous iteration was great.
I've got a bunch of older Pagagonia capilene that has lasted me for years and tons of abuse. Hopefully they fix it. I didn't even think about trying Patagonia underwear, but I routinely beat up a bunch of their products and have never had one let me down.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Trying out the exofficio give-n-go now, they are nice!

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 pm

REI boxer briefs. I bought one pair and now wouldn’t wear anything else. I travel a lot. These are hands down the best I’ve tried.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:20 pm
Transitioned to seamless poly blend "moisture wicking" performance briefs some years ago. As a result there have been no issues downstairs.

Asics use to make these, but they have been discontinued. A definite sign of age when a manufacture stops making your favorite underwear.....
Or when your underwear is older than your doctor.

P.S. I've found Land's End underwear to be durable and comfortable.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Sams Club for me
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm

dcabler wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 am
climber2020 wrote:

+2 exofficio. Great for travel - only need to pack a few pairs since they’re so easy to wash and they dry quickly.

Yes the waist gets loose after a while but I pretend I’m losing weight :)
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

edge

Post by edge » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:37 pm

I prefer Adidas climacool.

They are less economical but breathe very well.
t3xn wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:18 am