Home Audio Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mom 2 Groms

Home Audio Advice

Post by Mom 2 Groms »

Background: When we built our new construction home, we had the builder pre-wire for speakers. There are 4 place holders inside and 4 place holders outside on our patio. There was also some pre-wiring done for the control panel for these speakers. We would also like these speakers to be able to hook up to our indoor TV. We do not currently have a TV outdoors, but we are going to want that TV to eventually be able to hook up to those speakers as well.

My Questions: We have a guy from Bestbuy coming out to tell us what we "need". My husband asked the sales guy who scheduled this meeting what the typical install costs are, and his quote for the 8 speakers was $500. Is a speaker install a hard DIY? It seems like it would be as easy as cutting the right size hole in the drywall, twisting some wires together, and then securing the speaker in place. Is this worth paying someone to install?

Do we really need an amp? I wasn't expecting to buy one, and still don't understand what it does other than offer power to the speakers.

I would like an iPad mini or an iPad to be the control panel on the wall. Do any of you have a docking station that is hooked to the wall for an iPad that's connected to speakers? Would you recommend what you have, or something else?
daveydoo

Re: Home Audio Advice

Post by daveydoo »

Mom 2 Groms wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 pm ... Is a speaker install a hard DIY?...
We have copper wire under a thick area rug...so, no. :D But wall-mounted takes some effort. I'm sure you're $200 for the housecall alone, etc.

Yes, an amp is better -- I don't know your TV or speakers and even if you told me, I would not be current. But an amp, in addition to providing more power to drive the speakers, makes you more versatile and future-proof.

Four speakers? Maybe two front and two rear? Others will weigh in but usually it's stereo + sub-woofer (for thumping bass) or 5+1 (stereo speakers, plus center channel for dialog, plus two rears) or 7+1 and then the Atmos thing which I have not kept up with... So I'm not sure I get the four speakers part. Maybe the center channel and sub are supposed to wire directly to the device...?

For TV home theater, I would do 5+1 system -- two main speakers up front, the biggest and best center channel that your budget and cabinetry (and spouse) permits, two rear channels (not very important), and sub-woofer (anywhere in room). We use this. The only thing I would do differently is get a better center channel speaker. Old-school TV audio was "leveled" so that the louds were not so loud and the softs were not so quiet. Movie audio -- as you know from the theater -- is not, so the lows can get swamped by ambient household noise that's absent from plush theaters.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

My last house was wired for 32 speakers including a few outside. I put all the speakers in. I bought a Rotozip with hole drilling accessory, but for 8 speakers it might not be bad to just use a manual drywall saw. If you make the holes too big you'll have a mess (need to hire a drywall repair person). My current place I kept it simpler and have 4 speakers in the kitchen/family room in the ceiling.

One of the biggest decisions will be if you want to listen to different things in different "zones". For example, someone watches tv inside (using the speakers) and someone else wants to listen to music outside at the same time. Without an amp, the speakers won't operate at any acceptable volume. Based on if you need 1 or 2 zones, that will determine whether you need 1 amp (or a dual zone amp) or 2 amps.

As to using an iPad, I'm not sure how that would work. It could be a source for music, but turning an amp on or off with that and adjusting the volume would make it more complicated. There are apps for that, but you'd need hardware also (to send IR signals to the amp, cable box or whatever).
Topic Author
Mom 2 Groms

Post by Mom 2 Groms »

daveydoo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:29 pm
Four speakers? Maybe two front and two rear?
Yes, we have two in the front of the room and two in the back of the room. Currently, we have a cheap wireless subwoofer and soundbar.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

When we built our house, I ran the wire for in wall speakers and installed them myself. Not particularly hard if you are ok with cutting drywall and basic wiring.

I installed 4 speakers and a connector panel behind where I wanted the TV to be. The wires in the wall run from the speakers to the connector panel so you can easily hook up your audio system.

I would recommend something similar to what daveydoo suggested. I have a 5.1 Yamaha home theater receiver hooked up to my 4 speakers as the front and rear channel speakers. I have Paradigm speakers in wall, a Klipsch center channel speaker directly under the TV and a Sony subwoofer tucked behind the TV. The amp will decode the Dolby surround signal from the amp and feed it to the speakers. Great sound for movies, sporting events on TV, etc. We watched “The Last Jedi” last weekend. Some great surround effects in that movie.

I am not sure what the control panel that was wired is for unless you want to be able to control volume from there? I have seen that setup before but I don’t have anything like that and don’t really miss it as the Yamaha receiver has its own remote. The other thing I like about the Yamaha receiver (other brands also offer this) is that it will optimize speaker each speaker’s volume and output via a microphone and sound check specific to your normal seating position and room dynamics.

Not sure about the iPad idea either. There are apps that will interact with your home theater system but I am not sure I would mount it to the wall. Just use an iPad or your phone over wifi; there’s no need for anything hardwired.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Sonos.....
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Hardwiring speakers will likely cost you $1500+ all in.

I would rather spend $500 on a portable outdoors Bluetooth speaker box.
Topic Author
Mom 2 Groms

Post by Mom 2 Groms »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:33 pm
As to using an iPad, I'm not sure how that would work. It could be a source for music, but turning an amp on or off with that and adjusting the volume would make it more complicated. There are apps for that, but you'd need hardware also (to send IR signals to the amp, cable box or whatever).
I'm not sure how it would work either! In my mind, I just wanted to be able to walk up to it and select listen to music inside, and hear the TV outside. We'll need something for 2 zones like you were saying. I just thought the control panel would actually control it. I did not realize you needed an amp for that.

I think we can cut the drywall holes ourselves. I'll watch a you-tube tutorial to see whats involved with the speaker install, but its nice to know that other people do it themselves. My husband is not a DIYer for things like this, so he wanted to pay an installer but I'd rather save the money.

Thanks!
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Mom 2 Groms wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:51 pm
I'm not sure how it would work either! In my mind, I just wanted to be able to walk up to it and select listen to music inside, and hear the TV outside. We'll need something for 2 zones like you were saying. I just thought the control panel would actually control it. I did not realize you needed an amp for that.

I think we can cut the drywall holes ourselves. I'll watch a you-tube tutorial to see whats involved with the speaker install, but its nice to know that other people do it themselves. My husband is not a DIYer for things like this, so he wanted to pay an installer but I'd rather save the money.

Thanks!
If you only want to listen to one zone at a time, you can get away with a single amp and speaker selector. Those are not generally user-friendly, though ...
My home has 32 speakers in ceiling. There are 2 speaker feed locations, one upstairs, and one downstairs. I use a bunch of older AV receivers with 5.1 and 7.1 channel inputs to power them all. About $100 per receiver on craigslist. I have 6 receivers total.
Each receiver has a 3 to 4 Chromecast audio hooked up to the 5.1 - 7.1 channel input. We control the audio from Android smartphones . iOS devices can work too, but you will only be able to cast audio from cast-enabled apps. On Android, you can cast the whole device audio (at least, from some devices), so any app works. The Google Home app allows you to "group" multiple Chromecast audio. For example, I have one "downstairs" zone, one "upstairs" zone, one "whole house" zone, one "outdoors" zone. The audio is synchronized between all zones that are part of a group. Pretty cool stuff ... when it works. Networking is the weak point, in particular Wifi. I wired all the CCAs with Ethernet. The upstairs zone is connected to the downstairs via AV1200 Powerline ethernet adapters (PLC). Still, once in a while, the smartphone will not see all 19 zones (including groups) available. This appears to be due to issues between Chromecast and our Netgear Orbi mesh system. When using a single router, things are fine. House is too big for a single one, though.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Mom 2 Groms wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm
Yes, we have two in the front of the room and two in the back of the room. Currently, we have a cheap wireless subwoofer and soundbar.
I would not couple that with your cheap wireless subwoofer -- unless your sole objective is appearance and not sound quality. I confess, I still do not understand the room wiring. Before you move forward, someone will need to be very clear what each of these four satellites does -- otherwise, it will not be possible to connect the system. I think it's L and R front and L and R rear channels (the latter is only a thing for 5+1 and 7+1 but not for regular "stereo"). But I do not know of anyone who has rear channels on their porch...
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Mom 2 Groms wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 pm Background: When we built our new construction home, we had the builder pre-wire for speakers. There are 4 place holders inside and 4 place holders outside on our patio. There was also some pre-wiring done for the control panel for these speakers. We would also like these speakers to be able to hook up to our indoor TV. We do not currently have a TV outdoors, but we are going to want that TV to eventually be able to hook up to those speakers as well.

My Questions: We have a guy from Bestbuy coming out to tell us what we "need". My husband asked the sales guy who scheduled this meeting what the typical install costs are, and his quote for the 8 speakers was $500. Is a speaker install a hard DIY? It seems like it would be as easy as cutting the right size hole in the drywall, twisting some wires together, and then securing the speaker in place. Is this worth paying someone to install?

Do we really need an amp? I wasn't expecting to buy one, and still don't understand what it does other than offer power to the speakers.

I would like an iPad mini or an iPad to be the control panel on the wall. Do any of you have a docking station that is hooked to the wall for an iPad that's connected to speakers? Would you recommend what you have, or something else?
So, have you already purchased the 8 speakers (4 inside, 4 outside)?

And what TV do you plan on using?

Any other details as to what the installation services will cover? Like actually hooking them all up and testing that they all work?

An amp by itself won't be all that you need if you plan on an actual home theater setup. So what exactly do you and your SO expect the TV setup to work with? (Cable, Bluray, simple streaming, etc).
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

madbrain wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:01 pm
Mom 2 Groms wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks!
If you only want to listen to one zone at a time, you can get away with a single amp and speaker selector. Those are not generally user-friendly, though ...
My home has 32 speakers in ceiling. There are 2 speaker feed locations, one upstairs, and one downstairs. I use a bunch of older AV receivers with 5.1 and 7.1 channel inputs to power them all. About $100 per receiver on craigslist. I have 6 receivers total.
Each receiver has a 3 to 4 Chromecast audio hooked up to the 5.1 - 7.1 channel input. We control the audio from Android smartphones . iOS devices can work too, but you will only be able to cast audio from cast-enabled apps. On Android, you can cast the whole device audio (at least, from some devices), so any app works. The Google Home app allows you to "group" multiple Chromecast audio. For example, I have one "downstairs" zone, one "upstairs" zone, one "whole house" zone, one "outdoors" zone. The audio is synchronized between all zones that are part of a group. Pretty cool stuff ... when it works. Networking is the weak point, in particular Wifi. I wired all the CCAs with Ethernet. The upstairs zone is connected to the downstairs via AV1200 Powerline ethernet adapters (PLC). Still, once in a while, the smartphone will not see all 19 zones (including groups) available. This appears to be due to issues between Chromecast and our Netgear Orbi mesh system. When using a single router, things are fine. House is too big for a single one, though.
I think you are on to something with the Chromecasts. I use 2 for outside speakers and control it with my phone. My phone doesn't turn the speakers (which have internal amps) on or off though. The thing is the tv (presumably with a cable box) will put a kink in this and require some other mechanism. I think the overall tricky thing is getting something that will provide music, control the tv/cable box and control the amp. That is why a lot of people just get Sonos or have very $$$$$ custom systems. I don't know of any cheap, comprehensive systems.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:43 pm I think you are on to something with the Chromecasts. I use 2 for outside speakers and control it with my phone. My phone doesn't turn the speakers (which have internal amps) on or off though. The thing is the tv (presumably with a cable box) will put a kink in this and require some other mechanism. I think the overall tricky thing is getting something that will provide music, control the tv/cable box and control the amp. That is why a lot of people just get Sonos or have very $$$$$ custom systems. I don't know of any cheap, comprehensive systems.
I'm using Wemo wireless power switches to remote control the power to the receivers. One switch for the stack of 3 receivers downstairs, and another switch for the stack of 3 receivers upstairs. It's also programmed to turn them all off once a day at 4am in case I forget to do so myself. You can also set a time limit (ie., automatically power off x hours after you manually turn on) but I haven't. That means using a separate Wemo app to turn the amps on/off, though. Just like the Google home app, sometimes it doesn't find the Wifi switches, and needs to be killed and restarted. Wifi mesh is just not that reliable, unfortunately.

If you want to control devices like TV/cable box, and amp settings, yes, this will cost tons of $$$. A lot of such devices can only be remote controlled only by IR remotes. Some have RF remotes. Others yet have serial interfaces over RS232. Yet others over IP/ethernet, or IP/wifi. There is no single standard to do anything. The Chromecast audio is controllable only over IP/Wifi, or IP/Ethernet if you buy a USB ethernet interface for it. There are no physical controls of any kind, except a reset button .

Video distribution is also another problem, which I have not attempted. I am only using the speakers for strict audio sources. Sometimes, I will watch a video app on my phone. I can cast the whole device audio to a Chromecast audio, and hear the audio in any room I choose. There is a lag of about one second when casting device audio, though. Video apps that are cast-enabled in general can only be cast to a Chromecast video (the original non-audio Chromecast, or the Chromecast ultra). Audio apps can be cast to either Chromecast audio or Chromecast video. I use the Android Dish anywhere app on my phone to watch programs recorded on my DVR, and listen to their audio while I eat and cook in my dining room & kitchen. That app is not cast-enabled at all, so I cast the device audio.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

BBQ Nut wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:34 pm
Mom 2 Groms wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 pm Background: When we built our new construction home, we had the builder pre-wire for speakers. There are 4 place holders inside and 4 place holders outside on our patio. There was also some pre-wiring done for the control panel for these speakers. We would also like these speakers to be able to hook up to our indoor TV. We do not currently have a TV outdoors, but we are going to want that TV to eventually be able to hook up to those speakers as well.

Any other details as to what the installation services will cover? Like actually hooking them all up and testing that they all work?

An amp by itself won't be all that you need if you plan on an actual home theater setup. So what exactly do you and your SO expect the TV setup to work with? (Cable, Bluray, simple streaming, etc).

This! Speakers are just a part of the puzzle. You need to determine what you want to accomplish, in detail.
Topic Author
Mom 2 Groms

Post by Mom 2 Groms »

BBQ Nut wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:34 pm

We have not purchased anything yet. We do currently have a TV in our living room. Its a Samsung Smart TV, about 2 years old. We do not have a TV outside, but we have wiring to put one in the future if we want.

The guy hasn't come over yet. I'm expecting the install to cover hooking them up and testing that they all work. But the guy will have to sell us something first!

I'm not sure if we are looking for a home theater.. maybe we are. I just wanted the 4 speakers inside to play either TV or music, and the 4 speakers outside to play TV#2 or music. I'm not really a sound snob. I just want to hear the game when we have people over and there are lots of kids running around!
Socrates

is this home theater??? or

Post by Socrates »

just speakers.......now people just use bluetooth without wires for home or outdoor speakers
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
Topic Author
Mom 2 Groms

Post by Mom 2 Groms »

daveydoo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:32 pm
Mom 2 Groms wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm
I would not couple that with your cheap wireless subwoofer -- unless your sole objective is appearance and not sound quality. I confess, I still do not understand the room wiring. Before you move forward, someone will need to be very clear what each of these four satellites does -- otherwise, it will not be possible to connect the system. I think it's L and R front and L and R rear channels (the latter is only a thing for 5+1 and 7+1 but not for regular "stereo"). But I do not know of anyone who has rear channels on their porch...
I should have researched this during the build. Right now, we're pretty frustrated at the electrician who did our house. We asked for it to be pre-wired so we could hook it up to our TVs when we were ready, we gave little direction (our fault- lesson learned) and asked them to do what they would recommend. When we decided we were ready for this improvement, we called them several times to come out to give an estimate and see what they would recommend to us. They never called back. I finally called and just asked what did you pre-wire for us, so I can buy the appropriate speakers myself, and the answer I received was "sixteen two". I have no idea if I have L, R, front or back, but I'm thinking they probably just hung some wires out of a hole in my new drywall.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Re. "sixteen two." That sounds like they thought the question was what kind of wire was used, and they replied that they used 16 gauge two-conductor wire. Which would be fine for a typical home audio setup. The gauge is the thickness of the wire, and the number of conductors is the number of wires per speaker (two) which is appropriate for a typical loudspeaker.
Semper Augustus
BBQ Nut

Re: is this home theater??? or

Post by BBQ Nut »

Socrates28 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:16 pm just speakers.......now people just use bluetooth without wires for home or outdoor speakers
I don't.

I have a 5.1 system setup with hidden wires.

Bluetooth for high end audio??? Not in my house.
multiham

Post by multiham »

Not sure if Best Buy charges to come out for estimates, but if not, just tell the tech what you are looking for. Tell them you are in the process of getting 3 quotes and to put everything in writing. Have them explain why they need everything they recommend. I'm very good at hooking up A/V equipment, but not good at drywall so I always let someone else put in any in-wall speakers as I don't want to deal with the mess and possible bad cuts of drywall I would make.

In my opinion, and I have relatively high end stereo and home theater equipment, blue tooth speakers are fine if you are not critical about listening/watching. If you truly want a better sound and reliability, go for the wired speakers. Either way, you are going to need an amp or a/v receiver. I would post more when you get there estimate and I would also post over on an audio site like av or abs forums
Socrates

at BBQ

Post by Socrates »

for home theater I use Marantz, Polk and have a 14 inch Klipsch sub......for stereo music inside and outside I use wireless speakers through a blue tooth adapter (my Bose radio) or stand alone outside giant speaker you can hear a block away.......Im not fine tuning acoustics outside with friends at a pool party

no need to spend $1500 on an amp, wiring, and speakers....those days are over
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

BBQ Nut wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 pm
Socrates28 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:16 pm just speakers.......now people just use bluetooth without wires for home or outdoor speakers
I don't.

+1
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

daveydoo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:03 pm
BBQ Nut wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 pm
I don't.

+1
+2

But strongly agree that OP needs to decide what the goal(s) is/are. Decide what quality and volume of sound needs to be happening in what areas and from what sources (TV, various music players, etc) as well as a budget. IMO do not work backwards from where the builders left speaker wire terminated simply because it is there.

Personally I wouldn't allow Best Buy to go hog wild. They may need a leash and supervision.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I had whole house audio/video in my last place. This is generally how it works:

-Keypads/controller/remote in each room
-All video/audio wiring goes to central closet
-All video/audio source equipment in the closet. In my case 3 Directv boxes, a PC for music.
-Series of amps or one many channel amps drives the speakers
-A controller switches what audio/video gets sent to what room (for example, music to the whole house or tv to the living room). This uses IR blasters which simulate a remote control.

This type of system used to be quite pricey. I did all the research and set it up myself. The cost was approaching $10k including the speakers. Monoprice has a 6 zone amp/controller for $450: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id= ... bAQAvD_BwE

You don't need to use the in wall controllers. You can use an iPad:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monopri ... 58624?mt=8

My brother has this amp/controller in his house. He uses an Android app to control it.

As I stated above, I think without such a system (assuming you have the wiring for it), you will probably need to cobble together something that will not be too slick. You may have to turn things on with one app and then change what is playing with another app and use another app or remote for changing tv channels, etc.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I don’t think you will be happy with TV playing out of four speakers without any type of signal processing; you really want things like dialogue to come out of a speaker or speakers near the picture. So I would either do 5.1 for the TV or just stick with the current sound bar setup for TV. Music would be fine coming from 4 speakers for most situations.
Topic Author
Mom 2 Groms

Post by Mom 2 Groms »

Thanks all!

I will update the post with what the guys suggests after they come out. I really do need the speakers in the wall for my indoor use. I have an open floor plan and don't have room to put speakers anywhere but the walls.

The Best Buy house call is free. I'll be clear with what my expectations and budget are when he comes out.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Any updates on how this all worked out?
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

PFInterest wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:47 pm Sonos.....
I have multiple Sonos speakers and love it. It just works and I control if from my iPhone. Or iPad.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Also, I don't know if I would trust the Best Buy minimum wage high school kid for a custom job like this.