Lexus vs. Mercedes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
new2bogle

Lexus vs. Mercedes

Post by new2bogle »

I will be buying myself a new used car sometime in the next few months. Right now I am deciding between a 2016 GS 350 or an E350. These seem to be in the $30k-$35k range right now which is what I want to spend. (I'm open to an IS also, but not a C-class). My major concern is long term costs. We have owned a Lexus RX350 in the past and it had absolutely no issues and regular maintenance (even at Lexus dealership) was not expensive. Reliability on a Lexus is very good.

How about reliability for a 2016/2017 E class Mercedes? There is nothing that I hate more than a car that breaks down (which is why I've only bought Toyota branded Vehicles since 2002, except for the '15 odyssey). Reliability is why I'm not even going to look at a BMW. Audi could be an option, but except for the Q5, I don't like the body style (personal preference: Q3 is too small, Q7 too big, and I don't like the way their sedans look). Again though, I am utterly terrified of reliability.

My family has owned Toyotas pretty much since they debuted in the U.S. Except, my brother is on his second BMW (3 series) and he said the first one had no real issues, but a couple of times he had to take it in for electrical problems (under new car warranty).

What does the boglehead crowd say about GS vs. E-class?
PFInterest

Re: Lexus vs. Mercedes

Post by PFInterest »

lexus have issues. mercs have issues.
but i know that there are cheaper toyota parts for some of the issues.
there are no cheaper merc parts....
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Lease German, buy Japanese.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

PFInterest wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:39 am lexus have issues. mercs have issues.
but i know that there are cheaper toyota parts for some of the issues.
there are no cheaper merc parts....
For the do it yourselfer who is tied into the enthusiast world, yah, there are cheaper parts. I drove BMWs for years (a 1990 "real" M3, for example) and friends would ask me: "Why don't you buy a Honda?". My answer was "because I can't afford the parts". Even OEM parts are sold by independent vendors for well below dealer prices. By being tied in with the enthusiast world, a do it yourselfer can find that a Mercedes XYZ part is a Bosch ZZXYZ part without the Mercedes part number for 10% of the Mercedes part price.

For those who don't do it themselves and don't have a good independent mechanic, then sure. You're going to be gouged by Mercedes.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

If you want to keep the car for a long time, I wouldn't buy a used Mercedes... as it might only last 4-5 years before expensive repair kicking in.

If you want high tech and a better drive, definitely go with E-class. But then, you should consider leasing rather than buying E-class.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

The Mercedes CPO warranty is good and can be extended for not an unreasonable amount ($2,000?) to basically give you full coverage for 7 years/100k miles or unlimited miles in some circumstances.

The 2016 E-class was the last year of the 3.5 V6 engine (E350) which is very reliable. They switched to a 4-cyl for the 2017 E300 and it has less power, I would not recommend it, the interior looks "prettier" and more modern but feels a little cheaper to me, and the 2017 exterior looks too much like the C-class.

Good deals can be had on off-lease CPO 2016 E350 models now. They also usually offer a deal like 1.9% financing with Mercedes waiving the first two payments and/or including the first two scheduled services for free. The 2016 and earlier E350 in my opinion is the last Mercedes that feels like it was built like a tank and gives off a general feeling of durability.

If you are going to buy a used Mercedes, I would strongly recommend going with a CPO car. These are the cream of the crop of the lease returns, all the others with flaws or accident histories get sent to the auction and end up at independent used car dealers.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

When it comes to reliability, people's perceptions tend to not change as reality changes - in this case, BMW has been rated higher than Mercedes in reliability pretty consistently the last several years. In fact, both Consumer Reports and JD Power have BMW rated higher than Honda for reliability.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... -stack-up/
http://www.autonews.com/article/2018021 ... endability

That said, Lexus has been at the top in reliability for a long time, so if you're otherwise having a hard time making up your mind, I'd say go Lexus.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 am

For those who don't do it themselves and don't have a good independent mechanic, then sure. You're going to be gouged by Mercedes.
That would be me.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

GT99 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 am
That said, Lexus has been at the top in reliability for a long time, so if you're otherwise having a hard time making up your mind, I'd say go Lexus.
And that's probably what I will do, but the drive between the two cars is different, not better/worse, just different.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

tim1999 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am The Mercedes CPO warranty is good and can be extended for not an unreasonable amount ($2,000?) to basically give you full coverage for 7 years/100k miles or unlimited miles in some circumstances.

The 2016 E-class was the last year of the 3.5 V6 engine (E350) which is very reliable. They switched to a 4-cyl for the 2017 E300 and it has less power, I would not recommend it, the interior looks "prettier" and more modern but feels a little cheaper to me, and the 2017 exterior looks too much like the C-class.

Good deals can be had on off-lease CPO 2016 E350 models now. They also usually offer a deal like 1.9% financing with Mercedes waiving the first two payments and/or including the first two scheduled services for free. The 2016 and earlier E350 in my opinion is the last Mercedes that feels like it was built like a tank and gives off a general feeling of durability.

If you are going to buy a used Mercedes, I would strongly recommend going with a CPO car. These are the cream of the crop of the lease returns, all the others with flaws or accident histories get sent to the auction and end up at independent used car dealers.
Thanks for the info. I will look at CPO inventory.

Incidentally, I have two colleagues, one with an E350 and the other with a GS 350. I really do like both of them.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:20 am
GT99 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 am
And that's probably what I will do, but the drive between the two cars is different, not better/worse, just different.
Oh, absolutely. It's been a good 5 years since I've driven a Lexus, and I've heard they've moved more towards German driving dynamics, but in general, German cars drive much "tighter" than Japanese. Steering is more precise, and handling tighter, but you feel the road more. Most people who really enjoy driving prefer the tighter ride, which is why enthusiasts tend to go to German cars (granted, enthusiasts gravitate more to BMW and Audi, while luxury seekers tend to gravitate more towards MB). Many people prefer the softer drive. Totally personal preference.
delamer

Post by delamer »

I have a 2014 E350. No reliability issues, and I got 2 free services plus CPO coverage when I bought it.

However, I dislike the navigation/radio COMAND system so much that I will probably trade it in after I get the 2nd free service later this year.

Since you know people who own the cars, ask if you can fiddle around with the interfaces. For all I know, the Lexus’s may be no better.
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

Delamer makes a great point. Spend some time with both MFR infotainment interfaces. You use them a lot day to day, but typically don't think to mess with them in a test drive. I love Cadillacs, but their "CUE" system sucks so bad, that I ordered mine with the base package and skipped the system all together.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

tim1999 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am The 2016 E-class was the last year of the 3.5 V6 engine (E350) which is very reliable. They switched to a 4-cyl for the 2017 E300 and it has less power, I would not recommend it, the interior looks "prettier" and more modern but feels a little cheaper to me, and the 2017 exterior looks too much like the C-class.
+1
I would personally go with the E350 having tested it. You'll have to fiddle with MB KOMAND for a bit, as it's not the best interface, but my impression is that Lexus is even worse. If interiors and infotainment is most important to you, then I would steer you away from VW/Audi. I drove one and now everything else I get into is just disappointing compared to that.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

BMW and Audi are more reliable than Mercedes and even Honda.

If you go BMW, make sure to get the inline 6 engine,its smoother than toyota's (lexus), mercedes, and audi's inferior v6. An inline 6 engine's primary and secondary forces are inherently balanced so there's no need for balance shafts to reduce vibrations and noises. Mercedes used to make inline 6 engines, switched to V6, but is now switching back to the superior inline 6 format.

With BMW at least, the inline 6 is also their most reliable engine, so for reliability, you'd be better off going with that than any Mercedes. BMW is many spots higher in reliability than Mercedes...BMW is above average and higher than honda, Mercedes is below average.

Cost of repairs is likely about the same between BMW Mercedes and Lexus...Audi charges more for repairs and maintenance than the others.

The Lexus will be more reliable, but probably not by much, and the interior is rental grade and driving dynamics are okay in the GS, but nowhere near a Mercedes or BMW. The Lexus infotainment system is downright dangerous, hard to use while you're driving. Mercedes COMMAND is okay. BMW iDrive and Audi MMI are excellent, and far less distracting.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

FlyAF wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm Delamer makes a great point. Spend some time with both MFR infotainment interfaces. You use them a lot day to day, but typically don't think to mess with them in a test drive. I love Cadillacs, but their "CUE" system sucks so bad, that I ordered mine with the base package and skipped the system all together.
The CUE system is what drove me away from Cadillac even though I loved how the ATS and CTS drove.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Buy a Lexus with the Sport package. Best of both worlds. :D
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:37 am How about reliability for a 2016/2017 E class Mercedes? There is nothing that I hate more than a car that breaks down (which is why I've only bought Toyota branded Vehicles since 2002, except for the '15 odyssey). Reliability is why I'm not even going to look at a BMW. Audi could be an option, but except for the Q5, I don't like the body style (personal preference: Q3 is too small, Q7 too big, and I don't like the way their sedans look).

If Reliability is your number one factor, go with the Lexus.

I would have to compare Apples to Apples parts wise, but my guess is that Lexus wear and tear components tend to be cheaper as well.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

GT99 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 am When it comes to reliability, people's perceptions tend to not change as reality changes - in this case, BMW has been rated higher than Mercedes in reliability pretty consistently the last several years. In fact, both Consumer Reports and JD Power have BMW rated higher than Honda for reliability.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... -stack-up/
http://www.autonews.com/article/2018021 ... endability

For the specific models in question CR's tables give the reliability of 2016 Mercedes E as above average, 2016 BMW 5 also above average, 2016 Lexus GS much above average. BMW has bested Mercedes in recent years mainly based on other models, as for example the current generation 'flagship' 3 series being rated above average and the current generation Mercedes C below average. But anyway, CR's info seems to support the idea your odds of no problems are better with Lexus than BMW or Mercedes (or almost any other brand), but not the idea that Mercedes is superior to BMW in reliability in recent years. And Mercedes had a lot of problems earlier in the 2000's, not sure where the idea of their superiority to BMW in reliability would come from unless much further back.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Get a Toyota Avalon. Save your money.
delamer

Post by delamer »

wabbajack wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:30 pm
tim1999 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am The 2016 E-class was the last year of the 3.5 V6 engine (E350) which is very reliable. They switched to a 4-cyl for the 2017 E300 and it has less power, I would not recommend it, the interior looks "prettier" and more modern but feels a little cheaper to me, and the 2017 exterior looks too much like the C-class.
+1
I would personally go with the E350 having tested it. You'll have to fiddle with MB KOMAND for a bit, as it's not the best interface, but my impression is that Lexus is even worse. If interiors and infotainment is most important to you, then I would steer you away from VW/Audi. I drove one and now everything else I get into is just disappointing compared to that.
This is why you need to check these infotainment systems out for yourself — I find the Audi system much more intuitive than the Mercedes’.

They all are too complex and too distracting.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

GT99 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:52 pm
Oh, absolutely. It's been a good 5 years since I've driven a Lexus, and I've heard they've moved more towards German driving dynamics, but in general, German cars drive much "tighter" than Japanese. Steering is more precise, and handling tighter, but you feel the road more. Most people who really enjoy driving prefer the tighter ride, which is why enthusiasts tend to go to German cars (granted, enthusiasts gravitate more to BMW and Audi, while luxury seekers tend to gravitate more towards MB). Many people prefer the softer drive. Totally personal preference.
And vice versa. The latest generation 5 series BMW is said to be quite soft by past BMW standards. A 2017 used one would be one of those, a G30 by internal BMW designation. A 2016 would be the older F10 generation. But BMW 'regular' sedans have been tilting more toward the luxury side for awhile. OTOH as somebody else noted you could get 'F sport' model Lexus which some people have called downright harsh riding, at least the smaller IS F Sport I've heard described that way (I have an M2 and it rides and steers like the old idea of BMW's and M's in particular, *tight*, but of course it depends what you want in a car). Also with tech options that run up the price (used or new) some of these cars have active adaptive suspensions that significantly change character by mode switch or instantaneously as the car senses the road.

As mentioned, the old idea that Lexus tends to be most reliable probably still holds, though any old idea Mercedes was more reliable than BMW probably does not. For ride and handling probably best to test drive the particular models one has in mind to choose from.
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

I’ve been driving the 2016 Lexus ES350, and love it. It’s a lease, courtesy of my son. I am seriously thinking of purchasing it when the lease ends in May.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

An important factor that is often ignored is service. The quality of the service departments can vary between dealerships and between brands. This is location-specific - it varies by area. Similarly, there could be good independent mechanics for one brand, but not another.

For example, in my area I can find good dealership service departments for Lexus and Infiniti, but not BMW or Mercedes, and BMW is a bit worse than Mercedes in my area. This is pretty much the reverse of my preference order for the cars themselves, so that's unfortunate...

It doesn't matter that much if you lease, but if you buy new or used and plan to keep for a long time, it's an important factor. The quality of service makes a huge difference in your ownership experience. Bad service where they mess up your car can turn your ownership experience into a real nightmare.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

OP - I was in the same position not too long ago. For years I had chosen to go with reliable brands (Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc.) and then I had to make a call on taking a chance and driving what I always wanted (Mercedes, BMW, Audi ...) or continue to play safe but perhaps bump it up to luxury (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti ...). I chose a Lexus. While it drives great and has been crazy reliable I feel like I missed out on an opportunity to have taken the road less traveled :oops:

So my vote goes for the E-class (the previous generation of course ... current ones look hideous).
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:37 am ...My major concern is long term costs...
Then you know the answer. End of discussion.

If that were not your major concern, one could go 'round and 'round with this... :D (Oops -- I guess that was not the end of discussion.)
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

MB ranked below average in the 2016 JD Power initial quality survey. The Lexus GS350 was a premium pick. If you enjoy tow trucks and service centers, buy the German car. If you have better ways to spend your time, get the Toyota.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

tim1999 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am

Just a small update: there is now an E400 with a 6-cylinder engine and more power.
darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 »

arf30 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am Lease German, buy Japanese.
+1
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

I’m on my second ES350. They have been the best cars I’ve ever owned. I’ve seen a lot of really sweet Mercs but the real problem I’ve seen with them, from friends that have owned them, is cost of ownership. Maintenance and repairs are expensive for Mercedes. Too rich for my blood...
Last edited by WestUniversity on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

If you're major concern is long term costs, I can't believe we're even having this conversation. You can't get more bullet proof than a Lexus. Never owned one, but everyone I know has driven theirs into the ground, putting more miles on them than your average freight train. They seem to be at the top of every reliability list.

What do they say about Mercedes? If you can't afford a new Mercedes, then you can't afford a used one?
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Mercedes is "luxurious" and has snob factor but expensive to maintain.
Lexus is a nicer Toyota but inexpensive to maintain.
Just get a Toyota.
You're trying to convey something to other people by driving a luxury vehicle and it is really a waste of money.
strafe

Post by strafe »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:23 amIncidentally, I have two colleagues, one with an E350 and the other with a GS 350. I really do like both of them.
Good that neither car will make you a jerk.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

visualguy wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:14 pm An important factor that is often ignored is service. The quality of the service departments can vary between dealerships and between brands. This is location-specific - it varies by area. Similarly, there could be good independent mechanics for one brand, but not another.

For example, in my area I can find good dealership service departments for Lexus and Infiniti, but not BMW or Mercedes, and BMW is a bit worse than Mercedes in my area. This is pretty much the reverse of my preference order for the cars themselves, so that's unfortunate...
Or just existence of dealers in some areas. We were 100's of miles for the nearest BMW dealership on a recent extensive road trip. The scheduled service happened to come up when were in Minneapolis area, nothing till Idaho Falls (not going by way of Rapid City SD, IIRC other one in a huge area). Where I live there are multiple BMW dealers within a reasonable distance and I've had reasonable results with a independent off warranty. I wouldn't own one if I lived out there (which I probably would not, beautiful to visit though it is).

I'm not anti Lexus, had one and the common experience of virtually no problems (though I haven't had any real problems with BMW either, and had a lot with a Merc some years ago). But inexpensive maintenance at a Lexus dealer? IME they are pretty much as dear as the BMW dealers, and for a new BMW (though not directly relevant here) you are paying for 4 (now it's 3) yrs scheduled maintenance when you buy the car. You might take Lexus' to Toyota dealers, or to independents or DIY like you can with a BMW. But I'm not sure that difference is quite what some people make it out to be, though also in the Lexus' favor I'd grant. And of course more in favor of a 'non luxury' brand in $'s. IOW all reasonable people must agree I believe that you don't minimize your costs by buying luxury brand cars. But not everybody has to minimize their costs. And the stuff about 'status' is a bunch of nonsense IMO. Why would any stranger care what car I buy or I care that they cared? I sure don't care what they buy. :happy
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

rgs92 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:36 pm
tim1999 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am

Just a small update: there is now an E400 with a 6-cylinder engine and more power.
True, but it's a turbo, so theoretically may have higher maintenance costs/relability issues as it ages compared to the proven 3.5 V6 non-turbo. That engine was in the 2015-2016 E400 sedan of the old body style, but I don't think enough of those have high enough mileage to get good info on long term reliability yet. Also, there are very few used 2018 E400 sedans around yet.
Last edited by tim1999 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multiham

Post by multiham »

I may be wrong, but the op strikes me as someone (like myself) that will take the car to the dealership for service. I would gather some facts on these cars. I would go to both the Mercedes dealership and the Lexus dealership and have their service advisor walk you through their recommended maintenance schedules and what the cost for each service is. I would also ask them about tire life and cost to replace. Go onto the Lexus club forum and the Mercedes forum and see what people are saying about the car you are looking at. Are there any themes on certain part failures and find out from your dealer how much to fix that issue if it comes up.

This will give you a good idea of operating costs. If the costs of the routine maintenance and upkeep bother you, I would suggest looking at other cars. Otherwise, get what makes you happy and drive it!
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I would go with the Lexus… I feel like unless you have the latest AMG model, most Mercedes either have a bit of a fogey vibe… or is pegged as a realtor's car. Also I feel like the E-class tends to suffer from a styling whiplash effect from generation to generation (round and soft to sharp and angular and back again) that other models are less prone to for some reason (the S-class is more consistent stylistically).

I would however favor the E-class wagon over any Lexus.
WhatsIRR

Post by WhatsIRR »

We bought my wife a CPO GLC300 and have been happy with everything but the cheap run flat Pirellis that only lasted 20,000 miles. CPO saved 20% off sticker, came with an upgraded 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty and everything was done through email with Sioux Falls MB. MB USA has a very good CPO search engine that will pull all cars in the US.
iceman99

Post by iceman99 »

I looked at those cars as well as different crossovers and was going to purchase a low-mileage 2016 MB E class.

I ended up buying a new 2017 E class wagon (new body style) for $5000 more than the 2016 (old body style) which had 15,000 miles.

It is glorious.

Buy what you want - I don't think you can make a bad decision between those 2 cars.
l2ridehd

Post by l2ridehd »

I have done the CPO Mercedes for the past several cars and they have all served me well. Right now still driving a 2013 E350 I bought in 2013 with 9000 miles and now have close to 100K with zero issues. Tires, oil changes and brakes is all I have done to it. Maintenance isn't cheap, but I think it is competitive. My dealer drives to my house, leaves me a new Mercedes, takes mine for any maintenance and then returns it. My 2013 Tacoma I have to take to the garage, wait for it, and cost is very close to the same. As to comfort and ergonomics I personally find the Mercedes much better then the Lexus. And I did own a Lexus. Nice cars but just don't seem like things are set up correctly for me. Drive both and use the cruise control in each and you will start to understand what I mean. Also for me, the Mercedes handles better, has a better turning radius, gets better gas mileage, for my $$$ better features.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

l2ridehd wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am My dealer drives to my house, leaves me a new Mercedes, takes mine for any maintenance and then returns it. My 2013 Tacoma I have to take to the garage, wait for it, and cost is very close to the same.
I would never trust someone with this task, stories of "kid" employees joyriding customers nice autos are scary to me.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Sick to death of looking at my wife's 2000 Lexus RX300. Just won't die. Also still looks good as the body style isn't that much different from the newer RX's. If logic prevails, go with the Lexus. If not, get something else. Full disclosure.... I did.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

multiham wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:36 pm I may be wrong, but the op strikes me as someone (like myself) that will take the car to the dealership for service. I would gather some facts on these cars. I would go to both the Mercedes dealership and the Lexus dealership and have their service advisor walk you through their recommended maintenance schedules and what the cost for each service is. I would also ask them about tire life and cost to replace. Go onto the Lexus club forum and the Mercedes forum and see what people are saying about the car you are looking at. Are there any themes on certain part failures and find out from your dealer how much to fix that issue if it comes up.

This will give you a good idea of operating costs. If the costs of the routine maintenance and upkeep bother you, I would suggest looking at other cars. Otherwise, get what makes you happy and drive it!
Yes, I will take it to the dealership for service for a Lexus for sure - 7 minute walk from my office and I used to go them when I had an RX350. This dealership is very good and pricing is not bad. The independent Lexus mechanic (also very good) is ironically more expensive.

Both Mercedes dealerships are further away. One of them I was turned off by when I spoke to them (previous to my current Camry purchase) as he said "Why would you go with a Lexus when the Mercedes is clearly better?". This was over the phone before I had even come into the dealership.. very sleazy for a Mercedes dealership. I don't know of an independent Mercedes mechanic (though my co-worker is a cheapskate, so I could ask him where he takes his).
delamer

Post by delamer »

Alexa9 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 pm Mercedes is "luxurious" and has snob factor but expensive to maintain.
Just get a Toyota.
You're trying to convey something to other people by driving a luxury vehicle and it is really a waste of money.
Why do you make the assumption that OP is “trying to convey something to other people?”
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

delamer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 am
Alexa9 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 pm Mercedes is "luxurious" and has snob factor but expensive to maintain.
Just get a Toyota.
Why do you make the assumption that OP is “trying to convey something to other people?”
I'm not trying to convey anything. Last year someone rear ended me and I ended up with a charger for almost a month while my car was being fixed. I really really liked the power of a stronger engine and rear wheel drive was nice. Didn't much car for the charger in general though, especially the interior. Note that my colleagues drive nice cars also, so they don't really care either. The only cars in my neighborhood that people talk about are the Maseratis. Not even the teslas make peoples head turn anymore, a "cheap" Lexus or Mercedes will convey nothing about me.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Cyclesafe wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 am Sick to death of looking at my wife's 2000 Lexus RX300. Just won't die. Also still looks good as the body style isn't that much different from the newer RX's. If logic prevails, go with the Lexus. If not, get something else. Full disclosure.... I did.
Yup. A family member has a 1995 GS that will not die either.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

srt7 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:53 pm OP - I was in the same position not too long ago. For years I had chosen to go with reliable brands (Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc.) and then I had to make a call on taking a chance and driving what I always wanted (Mercedes, BMW, Audi ...) or continue to play safe but perhaps bump it up to luxury (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti ...). I chose a Lexus. While it drives great and has been crazy reliable I feel like I missed out on an opportunity to have taken the road less traveled :oops:

So my vote goes for the E-class (the previous generation of course ... current ones look hideous).
This is exactly my dilemma !!
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

delamer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 am Why do you make the assumption that OP is “trying to convey something to other people?”
I'm not saying OP is doing this but many people do. Your car says something about you whether you want it to or not. Subconsciously, this is how most people choose a car that fits their persona and there are surprisingly accurate stereotypes for each make and model. Luxury cars are mostly marketing and I cringe when I see people get sucked into it.
delamer

Post by delamer »

new2bogle wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:37 am
delamer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 am
Just get a Toyota.
I'm not trying to convey anything. Last year someone rear ended me and I ended up with a charger for almost a month while my car was being fixed. I really really liked the power of a stronger engine and rear wheel drive was nice. Didn't much car for the charger in general though, especially the interior. Note that my colleagues drive nice cars also, so they don't really care either. The only cars in my neighborhood that people talk about are the Maseratis. Not even the teslas make peoples head turn anymore, a "cheap" Lexus or Mercedes will convey nothing about me.
That makes sense.

People who don’t care much about cars seem to think that the only reason other people buy luxury cars is as a status symbol.

Luxury cars are just like the high-end version of other consumer products — some people think the extra quality and features you get for the money are worth it, others don’t.

That doesn’t mean that you are trying to impress anybody else with your purchase.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Alexa9 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:40 am
delamer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 am Why do you make the assumption that OP is “trying to convey something to other people?”
I'm not saying OP is doing this but many people do. Your car says something about you whether you want it to or not. Subconsciously, this is how most people choose a car that fits their persona and there are surprisingly accurate stereotypes for each make and model. Luxury cars are mostly marketing and I cringe when I see people get sucked into it.
Actually that is exactly what you said —

“You’re trying to convey something to other people...”

Doesn’t everything we spend money on say something about us?

Have you ever owned a luxury car?