Bosch dishwasher odor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jackson12

Bosch dishwasher odor

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 am

We bought a Bosch in September of 2017 ( when I started this thread I mistakenly believed we’d bought it more recently)

It’s been a dream for nearly a year, until recently, when it started getting this disgusting weird odor. We cleaned the filter thoroughly, even though we’ve kept it clean anyway.

The I did an online search for Bosch dishwasher odors, There are so many comments about this! So,many with this problem. Somehow I missed it when looking at consumer reviews before purchasing our dishwasher. ...or maybe I just didn’t know hw to do a more specific search before purchase ,

We’ve tried many of the suggestions : prop the door open after the cleaning cycle is done to let dishes air dry and get rid of remaining moisture etc.

Does anyone here have this issue? We’ll be calling the store if we can’t get a solution.
Last edited by Jackson12 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

neilpilot

Re: Bosch dishwasher odor

Post by neilpilot » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 am

If you haven't already, first confirm that the drain hose is installed properly. The hose has to go up to the bottom of the counter-top and then down before it connects to the drain under the sink. This "high loop" is required unless you happen to have an air gap where the drain is connected.

Also, do you wash with hot water? If your wash water is cold, or not sufficiently hot, that can also contribute to residuals that will result in odors.

While the classic advice is to run an empty cycle with either a cup of white vinegar or some baking soda, as you probably already know based on the internet the Bosch dishwasher has a design flaw that resists all classic solutions to your problem.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 am

I've had Bosch dishwashers for 4 years. Never had a problem.

But I like to rinse the food particles of the plates before loading them. Bosch doesn't have a mechanical grinder, so food particles may get stuck and start to decay... Is this what you're smelling?

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 am

But I like to rinse the food particles of the plates before loading them. Bosch doesn't have a mechanical grinder, so food particles may get stuck and start to decay... Is this what you're smelling?
No, we rinse before loading. We use the dishwasher primarily to sanitize everything and also because dishes , glasses and cutlery come out streak-free free.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:09 am

neilpilot wrote:
If you haven't already, first confirm that the drain hose is installed properly. The hose has to go up to the bottom of the counter-top and then down before it connects to the drain under the sink. This "high loop" is required unless you happen to have an air gap where the drain is connected.

Also, do you wash with hot water? If your wash water is cold, or not sufficiently hot, that can also contribute to residuals that will result in odors.

While the classic advice is to run an empty cycle with either a cup of white vinegar or some baking soda, as you probably already know based on the internet the Bosch dishwasher has a design flaw that resists all classic solutions to your problem.
We may have to adjust the drain hose. I wonder why it took awhile for the odor to appear. We do use very hot water.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:30 am

We have the same issue. We keep it under control with all of the above, (prop the door open, rinsing dishes and milk glasses, cleaning the filter, checked the drain hose routing). The door is kind of a hassle to prop open too, it snaps shut with the slightest provocation unless I leave it half open.

To ensure the hottest water I had the water supply re-plumbed directly to the same hot water takeoff that the sink uses so we could be sure the water is as hot as possible before starting the dishwasher. This helped with cleanliness issues we were having too though we still rinse because the wash cycle is so gentle.

These new dishwashers use so little water to hit the energy efficiency numbers that I am wasting even more hot water preparing to run the dishwasher and rinsing dishes. :x If I don't pre-run the hot water I can open the door after filling and the water in the bottom of the dishwasher isn't even lukewarm. It is like it spit a quart of warm water on the cold stainless steel insides and that is it. Even with blazing hot water it just feels marginally hot after filling. Maybe the rinse is hotter because the dishwasher is warmed up, but it is so slow I bet the water in the walls has cooled enough that it is about the same.

With our old Kenmore we could leave any old caked on sauce on plates and bowls and it was no issue. We would rinse off any solid food but that was it. Not very happy with progress in this area.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:41 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am
unclescrooge wrote:

No, we rinse before loading. We use the dishwasher primarily to sanitize everything and also because dishes , glasses and cutlery come out streak-free free.

Had a whirlpool technician at my house 2 days ago for our dishwasher. He told me never to rinse before loading. Exact opposite advice from what I have been told in the past by technicians :annoyed
Also need the loop previously discussed or the food sits in that drain hose and forms bacteria. Our drain hose does have spots on it but I couldn't create that loop due to the hose being too short.

pfrank

Post by pfrank » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:52 am

I have a Bosch too and this is what the salesman told me. You need to clean out the internal filter in the bottom of the machine every couple of months. It is located under the metal mesh screen under the bottom arm. Scrub it with an old toothbrush. You also should run white vinegar through the dishwasher on the heavy/sanitize setting after you clean the internal filter.

Also make sure your discharge hose loops up for an air gap before it reaches your sink drain.

There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to clean your filter. Good luck!

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 am

Also have a Bosch and have had occasional odor problems such as sewage smell when just starting the cycle. Second the advice to keep the filter clean, at least a couple times a month. Other thing I have done is fill the drain with white vinegar, let it sit for a while, then run a cycle. That seems to clear everything out.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:06 am

My wife and I experienced this in our first rental after college; landlord had just installed a new Bosch dishwasher the week before we moved in and we were the first to use it. Worked great for the first week or two . . . super quiet, efficient, cleaned well. But then we began to notice a putrid, rotting fish-like odor in the dishwasher and on the dishes. Worse yet, the odor would stay on dishes until you washed them again.

Our resolution was to rinse everything before loading them in the dishwasher, thoroughly clean the filter every time we ran a load, and remove the dishes as soon as the cycle was complete (largely required some level of hand drying).

We bought our first house around a year later and it came with a GE dishwasher that died after the first year . . . replaced with another GE dishwasher with heated drying and a build-in food grinder. It's practically as quiet as the Bosch but cleans better and doesn't have the odor issues at all. We still wash the filter after every load but we can leave the dishes (clean) in the machine for several days if needed (start a load before traveling for example). We also don't have the rinse the dishes before loading the machine . . . a dishwasher should be able to clean dishes without pre-washing them first.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 am

Consumer reports (I think) said scrape them clean, we are all wasting too much water raising. The wife gets angry at me if I do not rise them so I lightly rise them if I load the dishwasher. We have never had an order problem with our Bosh.
Affresh makes a dishwasher product if you have checked the drain line. Did you check the screen at the bottom of the dishwasher where larger particles are captured?

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:29 am

pfrank wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:52 am
I have a Bosch too and this is what the salesman told me. You need to clean out the internal filter in the bottom of the machine every couple of months. It is located under the metal mesh screen under the bottom arm. Scrub it with an old toothbrush. You also should run white vinegar through the dishwasher on the heavy/sanitize setting after you clean the internal filter.

Also make sure your discharge hose loops up for an air gap before it reaches your sink drain.

There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to clean your filter. Good luck!
We do clean the filter and I watched the YouTube videos. The odor is a new issue so I’m thinking ( hoping) the the hose is the cause. We can fix that.
I’m not happy with the dishwasher installer because he put on a new hose but not correctly. I think they should fix it for free.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 am

I’m a bit nervous about vinegar pitting the stainless steel.

pfrank

Post by pfrank » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 pm

I have been using vinegar for 5 years in my current dishwasher with no issues. That would be about 30 times (every 2 months or so).

If you are concerned, you can always buy the Bosch Dishwasher Cleaner direct from Bosch. Vinegar is much cheaper.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Gee. I have a Plain-Jane Whirpool dishwasher and have experienced none of the issues you folks are having with your fancy-pants Bosch dishwashers. :D

PS: Oh, and it's very quiet, too.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 pm

El Greco wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm
Gee. I have a Plain-Jane Whirpool dishwasher and have experienced none of the issues you folks are having with your fancy-pants Bosch dishwashers. :D

+1

Although ours is a KitchenAide

P.S. It too is quiet and we never rinse our dishes before loading.

damjam

Post by damjam » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm

I have a Bosch. Second one in fact.
Similar issues.
Make sure to clean under the door gasket. This is usually where odor comes from for my unit.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:15 pm

We have the same issue.

I rinse my plates clean, wife does not, even lets a little milk from an empty cereal bowl sit in there. She blames the dishwasher....

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 pm
El Greco wrote:

+1

Ours is a loud-as-sin GE, but no smell and it cleans with no to minimal pre-rinsing. I'd be very upset to buy a dishwasher where I had to leave the door open so the thing wouldn't smell.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:53 pm

I cast my vote for the drain hose lacking the high loop also. I believe my Kitchen-aid has the loop attached to the side of the dishwasher, routing it up the side and back down. Just because you don't see a loop in the drain hose does not mean it is not there. I have fixed many dishwashers over the years that were installed by professionals. They are the in and out, paid by the task, don't live there types.
I was taught in programs many times before retirement, do the job right and you can walk to your car, no need to run fearing the problem comes back :D

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:21 pm

I have a Bosch dishwasher that is about 3 years old. I never noticed any odors but after reading this post I cleaned the filter for the first time. There was some gunk but not that much considering that I never cleaned it before. I am OCD so I always rinse before putting dishes in the machine.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:26 am

Our Bosch got so disgusting it smelled like someone dropped a load in it. The house came with it...Not sure why anyone would buy a Bosch, I was ready to take it out to the woodshed. I cleaned and scrubbed everything with dishwasher soap and vinegar and took everything apart and cleaned it. I now run every load on "sanitize". Makes a difference but I will still never buy a Bosch...totally overrated.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:37 am

I’ve had a Bosch dishwasher for 5 years am very happy. I’ve never had an odor issue except when I accidentally left dirty dishes in it for two weeks while on a trip.

What detergent are you using? I’ve had great results with Finish powder, née Electrosol. Be sure to pull out the tubular filter and clean it as needed. The aforementioned drain hose loop is important.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:14 am

I’ve thoroughly cleaned the filter, etc and am set to get the hose configured properly. However, I noticed that there was some standing water in the “ trap” or whatever area is under the filter area. Based on some YouTube videos, this appears normal but I don’t recall the water remaining ..not ever before.

There have been no overflows so when we run the dishwasher the water obviously exits the dishwasher..but leaves some behind. And the water doesn’t smell bad.

But there still may be a larger issue.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 am

No odor. I've had Bosch dishwashers for the last 15 years. Never a service call or issue either.

I haven't heard anyone point to a design difference that would cause such a thing only in Bosch dishwashers either. Sounds like installation or usage issues.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:53 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 am
No odor. I've had Bosch dishwashers for the last 15 years. Never a service call or issue either.

I haven't heard anyone point to a design difference that would cause such a thing only in Bosch dishwashers either. Sounds like installation or usage issues.
How often do you clean the filter?

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am

I'm one dirty glass away from going feral on my Bosch and tear it apart with my hands. You have to clean all of the gaskets, the prefilter, the filter, and take the spray arms off and clean them. Then move the unit and look at the hose and make sure a mouse or something didn't die behind it. If your sink has a garbage disposal that you haven't used in a while, run it. I have had intermittent odors and all of our glasses still have tiny specks of food stuck on them for the last few months. We took everything apart and still get them. I have also suddenly noticed water under the filter for the first time last week and I never saw it there before. I'm already researching new dishwashers, and the next one will not be a Bosch.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:53 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 am

How often do you clean the filter?
Almost never. We scrape (me) or rinse (SO) the dishes so there's nothing big enough to get caught in the filter.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 am

Besides suggestions upthread (filter, hose routing), use a rinse aid such as Finish Jet-Dry Rinse Aid, which lowers water surface tension and leaves the interior less wet. A house water conditioner also greatly reduces mineral buildup in fixtures, sinks, tubs, toilets, and in dishwashers and washing machines.

We dumped a troublesome Samsung DW for a Bosch a few years back and we're happy with the Bosch. YMMV.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:16 pm

Is it normal for there to be some water under the filter area, in what looks like a little hole? It’s a little pool of water. The odor is gone.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:16 pm
Is it normal for there to be some water under the filter area, in what looks like a little hole? It’s a little pool of water. The odor is gone.
All dishwashers will have some water in the sump after use because the pump can’t remove everything once it starts sucking air. Ditto a clothing washer. If plates etc. have liquids on them as they are added, this contributes to the water in the sump.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:45 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:23 pm
Jackson12 wrote:
All dishwashers will have some water in the sump after use because the pump can’t remove everything once it starts sucking air. Ditto a clothing washer. If plates etc. have liquids on them as they are added, this contributes to the water in the sump.
Thanks. Anyway, the odor is gone but we’re going to get the hose affixed correctly.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:45 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Jackson12 wrote:
Thanks. Anyway, the odor is gone but we’re going to get the hose affixed correctly.
Excellent. What fixed the odor issue for you?

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:12 am

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 pm
Jackson12 wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
Jackson12 wrote:
After ensuring the filter was extremely clean , we did these things:
1. Placed a bowl filled with vinegar on the bottom rack and ran a complete cycle .
2. Wiped down the entire dishwasher inckidng around the interior door, etc

We assume this is a temporary fix until we get a repair person to place the hose properly.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:11 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:12 am
criticalmass wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 pm
Jackson12 wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
Jackson12 wrote:
After ensuring the filter was extremely clean , we did these things:
1. Placed a bowl filled with vinegar on the bottom rack and ran a complete cycle .
2. Wiped down the entire dishwasher inckidng around the interior door, etc

We assume this is a temporary fix until we get a repair person to place the hose properly.
Good news.

For the hose placement, all you need is a single hook under the sink to support the hose as high as practical in one spot. The hose just needs to go up to that hook before it goes back down to your disposal or sink drain connection. Obviously the hook needs to attach to something safe like the wall behind the under sink cabinet or wood, not your sink. Tape probably wouldn’t hold over time.

If you can install a hook, then no $$$ repair service is necessary, unless they agree to return and fix their installation at no extra charge to you.

Best wishes.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am

Came across this and thought I'd add it given the "why would anyone buy Bosch" posts above.

"Americans prefer the German brand Bosch when it comes to their large appliances, according to the results of a consumer satisfaction report released Tuesday. Bosch scored an 83 out of 100 on the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), the highest of the large appliance brands that were a part of the survey. "

"The ACSI uses information from interviews with about 250,000 people to analyze satisfaction with more than 380 companies in 46 industries"

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-bosch ... ppliances/

arf30

Post by arf30 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:29 am

Have had a Bosch 500 for about 4 years with no odor issues - it's super quiet and cleans well, but doesn't dry the dishes at all, they're soaking wet after running the machine.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:26 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am
Came across this and thought I'd add it given the "why would anyone buy Bosch" posts above.

"Americans prefer the German brand Bosch when it comes to their large appliances, according to the results of a consumer satisfaction report released Tuesday. Bosch scored an 83 out of 100 on the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), the highest of the large appliance brands that were a part of the survey. "

"The ACSI uses information from interviews with about 250,000 people to analyze satisfaction with more than 380 companies in 46 industries"

German cars are also tremendously popular on the roads, in spite of their well known reputation (Id say proven history) of being far less reliable on average than American and Japanese brands.

popular x= well made

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 pm
lthenderson wrote:
El Greco wrote:

+1

Ours is a loud-as-sin GE, but no smell and it cleans with no to minimal pre-rinsing. I'd be very upset to buy a dishwasher where I had to leave the door open so the thing wouldn't smell.

And I will +2 (or is that +3) that..... we have a Kenmore (relabeled Whirlpool) and also have none of these issues. I think the fact that these units have a built in disposal, rather then the filter helps cut down on the odors.....

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:57 pm

arf30 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:29 am
Have had a Bosch 500 for about 4 years with no odor issues - it's super quiet and cleans well, but doesn't dry the dishes at all, they're soaking wet after running the machine.
By default (many) Bosch dishwashers won't run an electric heater to dry. After the last rinse cycle pumps out the water, the hot dishes evaporate their moisture, which condenses on the stainless steel tub, and runs down into the sump. The pump turns on again at the very end of the cycle to drain this, perhaps 15-20 minutes after the rinsing finished, at the 1 minute mark on the timer. This is an idea borrowed from the European market, where electricity is much more expensive than USA customers are used to.

Plastic materials won't stay hot and give up their moisture as easily as stainless steel and porcelain. But most items dry fine, with no extra energy expense.

Many Bosch washers can turn on the heater for drying in the settings, but then you lose out on the energy/environmental benefits of drying without heat. Personally, I just open the door sometime after everything is finished and all contents are dry before the morning. Using electricity to generate heat requires a lot of energy, and I prefer not to spend more energy to evaporate moisture even faster.
Last edited by criticalmass on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:13 pm

I have no affiliation with Bosch- I've just had good luck for 16 years with their dishwashers (2 of them, 1 per house). If you Google "dishwasher odor" and most brands, you will get hits.

KitchenAid even has it in their online help:
https://producthelp.kitchenaid.com/Dish ... Dishwasher

As does GE:
https://products.geappliances.com/appli ... ntId=16270

So, this is not necessarily a brand specific thing.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm

arf30 wrote:
We have a Bosch 500 series. While the Bosch is not as quiet as an Asko we used to have, the Bosch does dry the dishes. But our dishes are not plastic and the tableware is stainless steel. I can see where plasticware would not dry by the end of the cycle, but even our plasticware dries within 12 hours of the end of the cycle (i.e. overnight). The dishes are too hot to touch at the end of the cycle.

Oh, no odor for our dishwasher.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

pfrank

Post by pfrank » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:22 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm
arf30 wrote:
We have a Bosch 500 series. While the Bosch is not as quiet as an Asko we used to have, the Bosch does dry the dishes. But our dishes are not plastic and the tableware is stainless steel. I can see where plasticware would not dry by the end of the cycle, but even our plasticware dries within 12 hours of the end of the cycle (i.e. overnight). The dishes are too hot to touch at the end of the cycle.

Oh, no odor for our dishwasher.
Bosch uses condensation drying which doesn't do well with plastics. Make sure you use a rinse aid. You can always turn on their secret "Intensive Drying" option.

1) With the dishwasher off, press the On button.

2) Hold down the “A” button (This is the “Auto” button or “Normal” button) and press [Start] until the display indicates “d:00”. Release both buttons

3) Press the “A” button until the display shows “d:00”.

4) Press the “C” button to turn intensive drying on or off. “d:01” = ON and “d:00” = OFF and press [Start] to save setting.

Good luck!

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. We're using rinse aid.
pfrank wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:22 am
Bosch uses condensation drying which doesn't do well with plastics. Make sure you use a rinse aid. You can always turn on their secret "Intensive Drying" option.

1) With the dishwasher off, press the On button.

2) Hold down the “A” button (This is the “Auto” button or “Normal” button) and press [Start] until the display indicates “d:00”. Release both buttons

3) Press the “A” button until the display shows “d:00”.

4) Press the “C” button to turn intensive drying on or off. “d:01” = ON and “d:00” = OFF and press [Start] to save setting.

Good luck!
Last edited by arf30 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 am

I think a Rinse aid is a must with Bosch dishwashers. We use one.

I can imagine that a hot dry (like our Bosch seems to do) will kill any mold and mildew that might try to get established in the dishwasher. So folks who try to save energy by not drying could possibly get stinky dishwashers.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:51 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:13 pm
I have no affiliation with Bosch- I've just had good luck for 16 years with their dishwashers (2 of them, 1 per house). If you Google "dishwasher odor" and most brands, you will get hits.

As does GE:

I agree about the odor not being brand specific.
We have a top of the line KitchenAid and have been fighting the same odor problems .
Personally i won't buy another Kitchenaid given my experience with their customer service.
Truth be told my next dishwasher will probably be a Bosch :D

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am

We have been using Bosch dishwashers for the last 15 years. Just replaced the first one this year when the old one started having some issues. Never had an odor problem. We only scrape chunks off dishes but do not rinse. I clean the filter a few times per year max. The new one does not dry as well as the old one, but it is so hot in there when the cycle finishes even without the extra dry setting that I have to leave it open for 5 minutes to be able to handle the dishes. Bosch is the dishwasher of choice among our office of engineers as well and I they are always universally praised when the topic comes up.

I did find that my previous washer was missing the loop under the sink when I installed the new one. I simply used a zip tie to add one.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:41 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am
We have been using Bosch dishwashers for the last 15 years. Just replaced the first one this year when the old one started having some issues. Never had an odor problem. We only scrape chunks off dishes but do not rinse. I clean the filter a few times per year max. The new one does not dry as well as the old one, but it is so hot in there when the cycle finishes even without the extra dry setting that I have to leave it open for 5 minutes to be able to handle the dishes. Bosch is the dishwasher of choice among our office of engineers as well and I they are always universally praised when the topic comes up.

I did find that my previous washer was missing the loop under the sink when I installed the new one. I simply used a zip tie to add one.
We’re now using Finish Power Balls and the odor is gone. We open the door a bit to hasten drying after the cycle is complete.

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:54 pm

jharkin wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:26 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am

German cars are also tremendously popular on the roads, in spite of their well known reputation (Id say proven history) of being far less reliable on average than American and Japanese brands.

popular x= well made

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 pm
lthenderson wrote:
El Greco wrote:

+1

And I will +2 (or is that +3) that..... we have a Kenmore (relabeled Whirlpool) and also have none of these issues. I think the fact that these units have a built in disposal, rather then the filter helps cut down on the odors.....
The reason most people love Bosch dishwashers is that they're so reliable. They reason they are so reliable is the exact thing that you cite above. They don't have a food grinder and they don't have the typical heat-dryer. So in addition to being well made, they also have fewer moving parts/mechanical systems that can break, which often make dishwashers fail within a very few years of purchase. The odor can be a byproduct of this for some. A reasonable person could decide that it was worth it to have a dishwasher that rarely breaks; a reasonable person could decide that it was not worth it to have a dishwasher that sometimes needs to be cleaned in order not to smell. It takes all kinds.

boglesmind

Post by boglesmind » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Plymouth56 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:51 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:13 pm

As does GE:

I agree about the odor not being brand specific.
We have a top of the line KitchenAid and have been fighting the same odor problems .
Personally i won't buy another Kitchenaid given my experience with their customer service.
Truth be told my next dishwasher will probably be a Bosch :D
Our home came with a KitchenAid dishwasher and we used it for 10+ years before deciding to replace it (due to noise) with another KitchenAid dishwasher (model KDTE254ESS). It is very quiet, has been working well for more than a year and is used daily except when we are on vacation :-) We always use air dry. Loaded dirty dishes without rinsing, loaded well rinsed dishes - it cleans very well in both cases. We use food grade vinegar as rinse aid -- don't like chemicals from rinse-aid on washed dishes -- and Cascade complete or platinum pods as detergent and air dry. Since the water is hard, we occasionally use 2 teaspoons of Borax in the top most (3rd) shelf. We do wipe down the door after each run and leave it ajar an inch or so. No smells whatsoever, not even once. Absolutely love it.

Boglesmind

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:29 pm

we have a bosch. never had any weird odors. I clean the filters regularly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... vGIE4oEYgM:
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki