Recommend a good SOCK. Yes, I said SOCK!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
heybro

Recommend a good SOCK. Yes, I said SOCK!

Post by heybro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello,

I always bought a bag of socks at Target for like 10 bucks and got like 10 pairs in the bag. The socks were Gildan although I hardly cared about the name. The socks were white and had a gray patch on the toe and heal. The socks also looked like the shape of your foot in profile (they were not just some huge tube). And, they were ankle high. They also seemed to be a blend of cotton and polyester together.
Well, Target stopped carrying them.

And now I am at a loss of where to get just a decent good sock.

I tried the Hanes and the Fruit of the Loom but they are all sophisticated with air vents and moisture whicking and they just don't feel right to me.

I also tried buying Dickies from Walmart thinking a person can't go wrong with a working man's sock! They felt SO GOOD in terms of fabric -- very comfortable. But they had a weird thing going on in the middle of the sock (the toe and heal felt great but the middle section seemed to be smaller and all odd).

Why is this so complicated! haha.

Anyone recommend a decent sock for a guy?

Thank you.

Re: Recommend a good SOCK. Yes, I said SOCK!

Post by 123 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:57 pm

I've been buying socks from JC Penney for years in bags of either 6 pairs or 12 pairs. I normally buy their "house" brand, used to be Towncraft years ago but more recently I think they call it Stafford. They're available in different lengths, ankle, low-rise, and crew. They're back to their holiday sales now so I've no doubt they'll have some kind of Labor Day sale. Sales are often the spend $25 and get $10 off kind. It's probably better to look at them in a store the first time.

My spouse seems to spend a lot of time "matching" up her socks from the laundry. I've got a drawer full of identical white socks so I save a lot of time. Spouse thinks I don't have much fashion style, she's probably right.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:04 am

I like the Wigwam brand of socks, I get mine from Amazon.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:11 am

heybro wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 pm
I always bought a bag of socks at Target for like 10 bucks and got like 10 pairs in the bag. The socks were Gildan although I hardly cared about the name. The socks were white and had a gray patch on the toe and heal. The socks also looked like the shape of your foot in profile (they were not just some huge tube). And, they were ankle high. They also seemed to be a blend of cotton and polyester together.
Well, Target stopped carrying them.

And now I am at a loss of where to get just a decent good sock.
OP, are these the same Gildan socks you bought at Target that you like? (scroll down past the "Customers also considered" pics at the top to get to the listed item)
If so, they're $7.50 for a 10-pack at walmart.com.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 am

My preferred kind of SOCKS is version 5, which has worked well since the late 90s. It is great for disguising where you are actually located (great for appearing like you're in a different network, when you want to download academic papers from within a university network etc)

Oh you meant for feet....I use Gold Toes.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

theshovel

Post by theshovel » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 am

Darn Tough socks. Not inexpensive, but also not cheap. Lifetime warranty. Made in America of a wool blend. There is no finer sock, imho. I work outside, in boots, all day and night I will wear nothing else. Well... Smartwool socks too.

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:04 am

heybro wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Anyone recommend a decent sock for a guy?

Thank you.
Falke. Nothing better quality wise
https://www.falke.com/ch_de/herren/stru ... estruempfe

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 am

Darn Tough socks are the best socks I've ever worn.
Wiki

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:51 am

Another vote for Smartwool and Darn Tough. I like Darn Tough's sport socks (running/cycling). I generally prefer how Smartwool 'regular' length socks fit but both are head and shoulders better than anything else I've ever worn.

minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 am

Thorlo comfort crew are my favourite but they are expensive

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:27 am

My current socks are ones I bought at Costco, seem to be holding up well.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

RME

Post by RME » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:00 am

Going for just one sock is very risky, I'd recommend you to buy a diversified low cost sock index fund. This fund invest in multiple socks from different brands and styles.

Elixir

Post by Elixir » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:35 am

+1 on Darn Tough. I’m from Vermont where this company is and slowly accumulated a collection over the years and they are excellent (durable and comfortable). For reference, I am a pharmacist and I’m on my feet for 12+ hours a day and I have never had to discard a pair of darn tough socks. I have had some pairs for going on 7 years now.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:05 am

Raymond wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:04 am
I like the Wigwam brand of socks, I get mine from Amazon.
+1
Frugality, indexing, time.

r60rider

Post by r60rider » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:38 am

Dollar General stores sell Gildan socks

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:40 am

onourway wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:51 am
Another vote for Smartwool and Darn Tough. I like Darn Tough's sport socks (running/cycling). I generally prefer how Smartwool 'regular' length socks fit but both are head and shoulders better than anything else I've ever worn.
I would have suggested the basic wool "Smartwool" socks.
But last time I looked for them, they were no longer all wool (or almost all wool?), and they were clearly a different, much thinner fabric.
However, the "design" appeared the same, with the slight cabling on the vertical part starting just below the ankle. The "foot" part was a more simple weave.

Are you still finding that anywhere?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:45 am

I've tried several different brands. The SmartWool socks I bought shrank heavily with routine washing. Perhaps I should have laundered them with special care but that's a hassle especially for socks which need to be washed after every wear. Darn Tough socks lost their shape and became difficult to put on, but after that they are comfortable to wear. I've had the best luck with bamboo socks (such as Cariloha). I have some Wigwam socks I like but they are long discontinued and current offerings are much different.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:40 am
But last time I looked for them, they were no longer all wool (or almost all wool?), and they were clearly a different, much thinner fabric.
However, the "design" appeared the same, with the slight cabling on the vertical part starting just below the ankle. The "foot" part was a more simple weave.

RM
I'm not sure exactly which ones you are looking at but I have always preferred their PHD line of socks which are a wool/nylon blend. This is what makes them so comfortable. 100% wool socks will never fit as comfortably - they won't fit as snugly and will eventually start to bunch up and fall down. This is where the PHD's are outstanding - they stay put even after years of wear.
stan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:45 am
I've tried several different brands. The SmartWool socks I bought shrank heavily with routine washing. Perhaps I should have laundered them with special care but that's a hassle especially for socks which need to be washed after every wear. Darn Tough socks lost their shape and became difficult to put on, but after that they are comfortable to wear. I've had the best luck with bamboo socks (such as Cariloha). I have some Wigwam socks I like but they are long discontinued and current offerings are much different.
The only special care we give our Smartwool socks is we don't put them in the dryer. We have a rack right next to the dryer that all of our clothes that we don't want to dry go on and our Smartwool socks give us years of use with no shrinkage.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:15 am

onourway wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 am
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
I'm not sure exactly which ones you are looking at but I have always preferred their PHD line of socks which are a wool/nylon blend. This is what makes them so comfortable. 100% wool socks will never fit as comfortably - they won't fit as snugly and will eventually start to bunch up and fall down. This is where the PHD's are outstanding - they stay put even after years of wear.
stan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:45 am
The only special care we give our Smartwool socks is we don't put them in the dryer. We have a rack right next to the dryer that all of our clothes that we don't want to dry go on and our Smartwool socks give us years of use with no shrinkage.
Yes, my Smartwool socks did shrink, and the seem to have shrunk "differently". So instead of sorting socks by "color" (I have bunch of white and a bunch of black), I try to grab a pair that is about the same "size", where "size" mostly ends up being height on the lower calf. After pulling them on, the always end up fitting just fine on the "foot".

I miss the thickness and softness (not ultra soft like cashmere or "baby" microfabric, but "just right" :happy ) of the WOOL. After all, they are not SmartWoolSynthetic :annoyed

I was hoping someone might chime in that they are available at X Store, like what is being suggested about the Target socks above...

I'd say "I should have purchased more", but I purchased quite a few pairs of each color.
I'm not sure if our washer and dryer ate some, or if as we traveled, a few jumped ship occasionally...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 am

I also vote for Darn Tough. When on sale, I also look at Farm to Feet,
Smartwool, and REI socks. Right now there is a sale at REI (up to 40%
off on those four brand (shameless plug for REI) at their warehouse
online sale.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/c/mens-s ... utlet=true

I have plenty of inexpensive Costco socks, but any time I go hiking or
just running around the city all day, I wear my "better" socks.
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 am

theshovel wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 am
Darn Tough socks. Not inexpensive, but also not cheap. Lifetime warranty. Made in America of a wool blend. There is no finer sock, imho. I work outside, in boots, all day and night I will wear nothing else. Well... Smartwool socks too.
I was sold on Smartwool but I've moved on to Darned Tough. Very comfortable, reasonably priced considering the quality and lifetime warranty. As for inexpensive but reasonably decent socks for rough and dirty outside work, I've bought my Gildan socks at Wmart. For the money, they're an excellent buy.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 am

Have had the same issue, recently resolved with Costco's socks, though my primary ones are white and worn with shorts.

Tim

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 am

Smartwool running socks in the warmer months. Cotton just falls apart.
Light wool blend Kirkland brand in the winter. Not too warm/thick/itchy.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 am

Darn Tough is the best.

I also own expensive socks from LL Bean and Duluth Trading. They are also great socks and worth the money, but Darn Tough is the best.
Funding secured

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

People socks wool hiking socks https://www.amazon.com/PEOPLE-4pairs-So ... B009Y9QCCS

Very comfortable and durable. My first four pairs have lasted 2 and a half years without developing holes, and I wear these every day when it is pants weather.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am

This thread reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld.

jburke

Post by jburke » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:39 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 am
+1 for Darn Tough Socks - Life Time Warranty

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 am

Most of my socks are Wigwam and REI hiking socks. They last so much longer than cheaper, thinner socks and are comfortable.

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:32 am

GOLD TOE

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 am

Darn Tough brand

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:03 am

darn tough for hiking; whatever costco sells for everything else.

dual

Post by dual » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 am

ebrasmus21 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:32 am
GOLD TOE
Ever since they moved their manufacturing to China, Gold Toes are a pallid reflection of their former glory. Read their reviews on Amazon. I have been a cushion foot fluffy man for decades but I cannot abide the current version. Before washing they are obviously much thinner with little cushion foot. The fluffy part pulls out of the plastic netting in tufts after the first wash.

I used to buy them by the dozen so I am coasting on that supply.

Currently my favorite is the Bridgedale brand. Good fabric feel and the elastic on your calf is just the tight tension. Unfortunately they are about 3X the price of the Gold Toes.

SmartWool fabric turns into sandpaper after the first wash. The Wigwams and Thorlos do the same and worse their calf elastic is like a tourniquet.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:57 am

Underwear, socks, bras. Lots of important Consumer Issues on the Boglehead forum... :D

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:53 pm

dual wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 am
ebrasmus21 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:32 am
GOLD TOE
Ever since they moved their manufacturing to China, Gold Toes are a pallid reflection of their former glory. Read their reviews on Amazon. I have been a cushion foot fluffy man for decades but I cannot abide the current version. Before washing they are obviously much thinner with little cushion foot. The fluffy part pulls out of the plastic netting in tufts after the first wash.

I used to buy them by the dozen so I am coasting on that supply.

Currently my favorite is the Bridgedale brand. Good fabric feel and the elastic on your calf is just the tight tension. Unfortunately they are about 3X the price of the Gold Toes.

SmartWool fabric turns into sandpaper after the first wash. The Wigwams and Thorlos do the same and worse their calf elastic is like a tourniquet.
Do you know how long it's been since they moved to China? Maybe I'm still wearing old stock - mine have lasted for quite some time now.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Real Tree

I like them because:

They say Real Tree in orange and have gray heel and toe, so they're easy to pair.

Mine are all black, so they're easy to pair

The fit and feel fine.

They are super cheap. I think mine came from Ocean State Job Lot. I'm sure they're made in a 3rd world country by 7 year olds......just like your iPhone is and the battery cells for your Tesla.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Allixi

Post by Allixi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:45 pm

I've found Timberlands to be the most comfy, but durability can be hit-or-miss (it also obviously depends on the type of walking you do).

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Strange that you didn't see Gildan socks at Walmart. Maybe they were out of stock. I thought they normally stock them. As someone else posted, you can get them online from Walmart. I think they are pushing in-store delivery these days, so you should be able to order them and get them at your local store.

Ecorp

Post by Ecorp » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Balega socks. Runners swear by them

dual

Post by dual » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:33 pm

ebrasmus21 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:53 pm
Do you know how long it's been since they moved to China? Maybe I'm still wearing old stock - mine have lasted for quite some time now.
Probably 4-5 years. Read the reviews on Amazon
It's possible the vendor on Amazon is selling knockoffs but I do not know any local retailers that carry them. I used to buy them at JCPenney but all their nearby stores have closed.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 am

If you are just looking for plain, white, just over the ankle sport socks, I bought Columbia socks for my husband and he really likes them. They have held up really well, but they are a bit thicker than normal sport socks.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:33 am

I've gone thru a couple pairs of smartwool socks that lasted just over a year with regular wear. Not sure how acceptable others find that but I'm trying darn tough now to see if they can do better.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 pm

A little more verification for Darn Tough. On Amazon, Fakespot has given Darn Tough an
A (and their 4th highest level of reviews) for honest reviews.

https://www.fakespot.com/company/darn-tough
https://www.fakespot.com/companies

I buy several different socks on sale, but prefer Darn Tough.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:00 pm

I like gold toe but only when there is a good sale, about $1/pair. If I have to pay more then I buy wool socks.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 pm

onourway wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:07 am
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
I’m not sure you would need a post-sock to meet your needs, although a “mostly sock” (MS) might not be adequate :D

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:28 pm

GoldToe Acrylic for me as mentioned in other threads. But there are many versions of GoldToe Acrylic socks.

I just read a book with a chapter on socks. I learned a few things. One version of socks is padded by weaving in lots of small loops inside the sock. Another version has a tighter weave (flat knit) and is essentially unpadded. Some socks have a very loose unpadded weave.

I can see reasons for all of them.

A loose unpadded weave will let dust and dirt go right through the sock onto your foot skin. For instance, hiking on a dusty trail with trail runners and a loose weave will just collect dust in your foot and between the toes. A tigher weave will reduce such dirt collection.

A padded weave can be beneficial, too.

So one cannot say "Just get some GoldToe Acrylic socks." or "Just get some merino wool socks." or "Just get some DarnTuff socks." or "Just get some Smartwool socks."

One has to say instead: "Just get some GoldToe Acrylic socks with full padded loops on the entire bottom of the foot and not just heels and toes. The acrylic is important (I think it is 75% to 85% acrylic) and the loops are important and the full real estate of the padding is important to me. GoldToe makes dozens of different kinds of socks. so just buying GoldToe socks is not going to do it.

Take a look at GoldToe Premium Fluffies Acrylic cushioned socks. Never cotton. They come in various lengths (heights).
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:36 pm

I like Costco's Kirkland brand

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 am
Ditto. Nuff said.

gold99xx

Post by gold99xx » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:09 am

Came for the STOCKS, stayed for the SOCKS.... Great Thread !!!

C21 whatever is on sale...