Best ultra thin pocket knife?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bighatnohorse

Best ultra thin pocket knife?

Post by bighatnohorse » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Do you have a recommendation for a small ultra thin pocket knife?
I've been using a very small two-blade Swiss army knife. Their steel is soft, easily takes a new edge, but wears out quickly.
Time for a new knife. . .

skierrex

Re: Best ultra thin pocket knife?

Post by skierrex » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 pm

I carry the Gerber Exchange-A-Blade.

It's tiny and uses utility knife blades.

I bought a huge pack of blades, change them in 30 seconds when they get dull or disgusting.

And, I never have to sharpen it!

Mcfly

Post by Mcfly » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Kershaw Leek seems to be popular. Small, thin and a good blade. Can be bought on amazon for @ 40.

guymontag

Post by guymontag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm

As someone who has too many pocket knives:

Kershaw is a great value and great selection.

Spyderco is my favorite blend of quality and value, and the hole is a superior opening method. I love my Centofante and Delica but those might be outside your size limits. Maybe a Dragonfly 1 or 2?

Al Mar is one of the thinnest and lightest options I’ve had, but pricey.

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 pm

I carry a Victorinox cadet if I'm wearing slacks (Pioneer X in jeans...love having the scissors). I agree that it is a pretty soft steel, but it sharpens easily, takes a good edge, and is slight in the pocket. I don't own one, but I've read good things about the Spyderco Delica as a small, thin daily carry. I own a Spyderco Paramilitary 2, and that's a great knife, but not something I ever carry. I just use it around the house, especially for cutting up cardboard.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Kershaw Chill on Amazon for $17.

Thin, light, and easy to sharpen.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:14 pm

I would go to a couple of big sporting goods stores and have the opportunity to see what fits best in the pocket of whatever clothes style you wear. There are many smallish, slim, decent pocket knives. I have the luxury of being able to carry whatever I want so I do but it would not count as a slim or trim choice.

WhatsIRR

Post by WhatsIRR » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:28 pm

I’m carrying a Benchmade Bug Out. It’s nice but not cheap

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Mcfly wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:21 pm
Kershaw Leek seems to be popular. Small, thin and a good blade. Can be bought on amazon for @ 40.
Kershaw 1660 Serrated Titanium (ST) Leek on sale $12-to 40. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTlGW-H8dm0
Kershaws unserratted 1730 Titanium (similar) is 12.99 on DHGate.com
Good luck!
Last edited by aspirit on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm

bighatnohorse wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:03 pm
Do you have a recommendation for a small ultra thin pocket knife?
I've been using a very small two-blade Swiss army knife. Their steel is soft, easily takes a new edge, but wears out quickly.
Time for a new knife. . .
What knife do you have? What is the blade length you're looking for? What is the thickness (thinness)? What is your budget?
Mcfly wrote:
It's a great knife, but I don't know if it's small or thin compared to what OP has or is looking for.

https://www.rei.com/product/893028/rngr-st-2-knife

"That's not a knife"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8EbNN8NM

Of course, never bring knife to gunfight,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua_TZ84hmEA

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Benchmade, Syderco, Kershaw, in descending order of price (if I'm still current). I have several and have given many as gifts. Really helps to see them in person -- a few surprised me when I ordered online :shock:

You can talk forever about the composition of the steel, and shape of the blade, and non-slip qualities of the scales. The only thing that really matters, imo, for EDC knife is a liner-lock and that's where (old) Swiss Army knives are dangerous.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Are people really carrying knives as a regular part of their attire? Why? In an urban setting?
What things do you use it for?

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Cutting things. :) String, packing tape, envelopes, blister packs, weeds, vines, small limbs & all sorts of stuff. I worked in an office for 40 years and was the only person who never said, "Let me go get the scissors from my desk."

I'm 67 and started carrying a pocket knife before I joined the Cub Scouts. My grandfather gave it to me when I was little.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:00 pm

andypanda wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:56 pm
Cutting things. :) String, packing tape, envelopes, blister packs, weeds, vines, small limbs & all sorts of stuff. I worked in an office for 40 years and was the only person who never said, "Let me go get the scissors from my desk."

I'm 67 and started carrying a pocket knife before I joined the Cub Scouts. My grandfather gave it to me when I was little.
All of this except I'm not 67 and was never a cub scout and it was an aunt that gave me my first pocket knife when I was maybe 4 years old. I had always had to ask to borrow one before that.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:48 pm
Are people really carrying knives as a regular part of their attire? Why? In an urban setting?
Just wealth-signaling :D

I did not in the Northeast but I do since re-locating many years ago. They're banned in my work environment, so not there. And CA has such stringent laws that I don't bring one when I travel there (I think most of mine would be illegal there).

I carry one on weekends when I'm invariably doing one or more of the following: minor home repairs and yard work; unwrapping packages; breaking down boxes. And I try to always have one when hiking and/or walking the dog on trails (which is also every weekend) -- for emergencies and for potential self-defense against dogs or humans. Mine are all one-hand-opening. It's pretty common here. Half my "clients" come in with them even though they're banned on the premises. Even my wife has a Leatherman MIni (Micra?) on her keychain and I've lost track of how many she's "donated" to TSA over the years...

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:05 pm

I bought a Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556 online, and I really liked it, but as soon as I played with the AXIS lock I realized it was illegal in New York State (gravity knife), so I sold it on eBay the day after I received it.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:14 pm

"Just wealth-signaling"

Trouble is, my knives stay in my pocket 99.5% of the time. They aren't like wrist watches. ;)

I love Chris Reeve knives. Exceptionally useful, but quite expensive. That reminds me, I need to send one of my Sebenzas back for sharpening. I know how to sharpen knives, but some of their blade steel is equivalent to what is used for ball bearings on jumbo jet wheels. It holds an edge forever, but is a challenge to sharpen.

https://chrisreeve.com

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:24 pm

andypanda wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:14 pm
"Just wealth-signaling"

WOW! :shock:

Now that's gorgeous. And I thought Benchmade was expensive. :D

I never really went for the jewelry-type knives but those are beautiful in all the right ways -- clean-looking and functional. I'd sure be sad when I lost my third one of those. :D

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:38 pm

I freaking love knives. I own 74 of them, ranging in price from $60 to $3,500 (the $3,500 knife is worth around $6k today).

I'd suggest the OP start by perusing offerings by Benchmade and Spyderco.

Also, us "knife guys" believe knives are tools, not weapons. And the super-expensive knives are considered art.
Funding secured

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm

andypanda wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:14 pm
"Just wealth-signaling"

Trouble is, my knives stay in my pocket 99.5% of the time. They aren't like wrist watches. ;)

I love Chris Reeve knives. Exceptionally useful, but quite expensive. That reminds me, I need to send one of my Sebenzas back for sharpening. I know how to sharpen knives, but some of their blade steel is equivalent to what is used for ball bearings on jumbo jet wheels. It holds an edge forever, but is a challenge to sharpen.

I was going to suggest a Chris Reeve Mnandi, but I assumed the OP was not looking for the "wealth-signaling" type of knife :). My gut feel is that if you want a Chris Reeve, you don't need someone to tell you about a Chris Reeve. Speaking of "wealth-signaling," I was unaware my Swiss Army Cadet that I bought for $22 was a signal of wealth. My shirts cost more than that, and I buy half of those from Costco :).

Abe

Post by Abe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Buck 379 Solo

$18.99 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Single-Fold ... mall+knife

Even a better deal:
You can get the Buck single blade small knife (listed above) and a larger Buck 3 blade knife as a set, both for $20.88 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-BU3807-BRK- ... %2F379+set
Last edited by Abe on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:04 pm

CppCoder wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm
Speaking of "wealth-signaling," I was unaware my Swiss Army Cadet that I bought for $22 was a signal of wealth. My shirts cost more than that, and I buy half of those from Costco :).
That was the BH "in-joke." Since it comes up on other threads. My knives are not wealth-signaling. :D

I think there are precedents for "knife guys" who feel that knives can be used as weapons. You should Google it. Many people carry them, in part, for protection. I'm not going to pull it out if there's a gun to my back but if there's a pitbull gnawing on one arm, I'd hope I'd have the presence of mind to reach for my one-hander and drop both its lungs.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:09 pm

I have always carried a Kershaw up until more recent years. I have switched to a simple folding box cutter that used exchangeable razor blades and buy them in a 100 piece dispenser.

ByThePond

Post by ByThePond » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Mercator (Otter) k55k . One good-sized locking blade, folded metal handle, lanyard loop. Available in traditional carbon or stainless steels, even with a stainless frame. Been around since Kaiser Wilhelm, in widespread use in Germany. It's between 6 - 7 mm in thickness. I've carried several of these since the 1960's. Durable as all get-out, they last until they "walk away".

A. G. Russell One Hand Knife, the all-metal version. There's also a plastic handled version, which is lighter, but not as strong, IMO. Overall it's a lot like the k55k, but more modern looking and about 1/2" shorter. It too is about 6 - 7 mm thick, and has a unique one piece handle/spring design. Also very durable. Mine was bought in the 1980's.

Both of these knives are excellent products and ride in one's back pocket unnoticed.
Both are easily opened and closed single-handedly.
Both use excellent blade steel.
Both have Asian knockoffs of vastly inferior quality.

Knives are the most useful, versatile tool one can carry. Got my first one from my Grandfather at age 5, and have carried a knife daily for 6 decades. With about 200 pocketknives in my collection, prices paid range from $2 to "Ulp, don't tell the wife."

The two above are in the $25 to $175 range.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:32 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:04 pm
CppCoder wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm
Speaking of "wealth-signaling," I was unaware my Swiss Army Cadet that I bought for $22 was a signal of wealth. My shirts cost more than that, and I buy half of those from Costco :).
That was the BH "in-joke." Since it comes up on other threads. My knives are not wealth-signaling. :D

I think there are precedents for "knife guys" who feel that knives can be used as weapons. You should Google it. Many people carry them, in part, for protection. I'm not going to pull it out if there's a gun to my back but if there's a pitbull gnawing on one arm, I'd hope I'd have the presence of mind to reach for my one-hander and drop both its lungs.
We're all signaling all the time. The message may not always be the one we think we're projecting.

https://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2010/07/27 ... consumers/

Some of us are simply signaling the lack of wealth.

guymontag

Post by guymontag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Yes, as a tool for anything that needs cutting or slicing.

And although I see it as a tool I don’t mind considering it as a legal weapon for self defense, and I’ll leave it at that.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 pm

Spyderco has already been mentioned. They are great knives. The thumb hole makes it easy to open. Whenever, I need to open a box, it comes out of my pocket open...with ease. I like the Tasman Salt. That's probably too big for the OP. Wallet, iPhone, car keys, Spyderco...everywhere...every day.

reisner

Post by reisner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Why ultra thin for so important a part of your edc? I use my knife many, many times a day, and I'm a retired professor. I like my Great eastern Cutlery #56 Bird dog with a single spear blade, 1095 steel, and stag handles. A tad over two ounces.

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Boye Dendritic Cobalt folder. Very compact. I have had mine for 15 years, not a bit of rust. I use it on my sailboat. Amazingly compact and thin but extremely robust. The best there is in my humble opinion. Not cheap though.

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/folders

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:00 am

I have carried a Spyderco Cricket for many years. It's not for everyone, but I love it, very small and slim. Not great for cutting fruit, but great for everything else. I just misplaced it last week and I'm really hoping it turns up.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:46 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Of course. There are tons of things to use it for that I would either have to use my teeth(not wise), my fingernails(not long enough), or someone else's knife(self sufficiency is preferred) to accomplish.
Shallowpockets wrote:
I am sure you can imagine uses for an average cutting tool.

OP, if you do end up with Benchmade(my normal recommendation for a brand), they have a program called "Lifesharp" which is their free lifetime sharpening service. I sent in a 30 year old discontinued Benchmade Ascent 830 for sharpening last year and it was back in my hands in two weeks.

I personally use the Becnhmade Ascent 830 for normal wear and have a 10 year old drop point Benchmade Auto Stryker for work use. I am going to buy a Benchmade CLA sometime by the end of the year. While neither of them fit your ultra thin preferences, Benchmade has plenty of knives thinner than 1/2" in their Everyday Carry section.
https://www.benchmade.com/everyday-knives.html

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:52 am

Can search for "credit card knife". Don't know if they actually fit in a wallet.

Prefer the Victorinox "Rambler". Slightly thicker than the "Classic SD", but puts the blade on the correct end (opposite key ring) for easier use.

Keep it on my keyring. Blade used to open packages, cut occasional rope, strip wire when nothing better near. Screwdrivers (both) come in handy when nothing better near.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:21 am

I also enjoy my benchmade, but for work in a dress environment nothing beats a Leatherman Micra. The scissors are great!
https://www.leatherman.com/micra-20.html

Invisi8

Post by Invisi8 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:05 am

+1 Kershaw Leek

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:23 am

I use the Victorinx Excelsior Red for opening the many Amazon boxes that are delivered weekly at our house.
And the small blade as an envelope opener.
Sometimes I use the long blade to break down big corrugated boxes for the recycle bin. However, that seems to dull the razor sharp blade fairly quickly.
I wouldn't think of it as any kind of self-defense tool - the blade would probably fold close and cut my finger off.

I've worn out about ten of these knives over the years. They used to cost about $10. and now are up to about $18.00 (Available at ACE hardware but usually have to ask for it).

I now have five new browser tabs opened to the various recommended knives.
Thank you for the recommendations.

Kuna_Papa_Wengi

Post by Kuna_Papa_Wengi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 am

I use the Spyderco Dragonfly 2. It's very light and has a nice blade shape for everyday tasks.

I forgot to mention that you can remove the clip if you don't like it, that makes it a little lighter and thinner.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:39 am

Micra Leatherman on keychain.
Large Leatherman in truck/car.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:40 am

I carry the classic 7-function victronix swiss army knife on my keyring, and a Kershaw Shuffle sometimes. Not sure how thin "ultra thin" is, but these are pretty low-profile (especially if you remove the belt clip from the Kershaw)

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:40 am

Victorinox Swiss Army Cadet Knife is my favorite. Like you already pointed out the steel is a little softer than more expensive knives but as you also pointed out it is easy to sharpen. One of my Spiderco knives has a chip although it stays sharp for so long. It bothers me to see that small chip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007 ... UTF8&psc=1

They have great sales on this knife around Christmas. It is priced high right now.

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:10 pm

I carry a Spyderco Dragonfly - it's just big enough to be useful, just small enough (with a great pocket clip) to remain discreet, and is way sturdier than the cheap knives you find on Amazon. I use it primarily for opening those stupid plastic anti-theft clamshells that everything is packed in these days.

It is 100% a tool, and not a weapon. Knives make terrible, terrible defensive weapons even when designed for it, and the utility knives people are discussing are as dangerous to the user as to the target if ever used as a weapon.

Silver Bullet

Post by Silver Bullet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:28 pm

I can't contribute much to the investment side of this site, but I definitely know "pocket knives" and hand torches (flashlights)! I'm addicted to both. :mrgreen:

My EDC (Everyday Carry) is a Chris Reeves Mnandi. Nice sized true pocket knife. Solid blade that holds an edge well. They come in a variety of handles, from less expensive woods to more exotic Wooly Mammoth 10,000 year old bark. Beautiful works of art.

I'm also a fan of - and have many - William Henry knives. https://www.williamhenry.com/knives.html

While these are expensive - I consider all knives as "tools". They all get used. Kind of like nice watches - they get rotated around.

Another often overlooked, but incredibly pocket knife is the Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD. Small, practical (and sharp!) blade, scissors, tweezers, nail file w/ screwdriver tip and a tooth pick. Under $20 from Amazon. I always have one in my front pocket - and it get's used daily to trim nails, pull splinters from a grandchildren's foot, tighten a small screw, snip off a clothing tag, etc. I actually find my DW asking at least once a day, "can I borrow your knife?"

All three of these would suit your needs - depends on how much you want to spend.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Wow! I've learned a lot here. Given my cheapness and tendency to boglehead everything, (boglehead is now a verb) I will probably just stick with my usual brand of Victorinox pocket knife. Except that I my purchase replacements will be a little more frequently given their low comparative cost.

And for a little fun I must say that the posts here have been very pointed and sharp. They've cut through the dull topics of investing and gotten right to to leading edge point of fine pocket cutlery.
Thank you all for your contributions.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 am

I have a bunch of pocket knives and love them. The one I tend to carry every day is a Byrd Starling.

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 am

Mcfly wrote:
I can vouch for this... FANTASTIC knife.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:59 am

Another +1 for Leek
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:02 am

Silver Bullet wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:28 pm
I can't contribute much to the investment side of this site, but I definitely know "pocket knives" and hand torches (flashlights)! I'm addicted to both. :mrgreen:

My EDC (Everyday Carry) is a Chris Reeves Mnandi. Nice sized true pocket knife. Solid blade that holds an edge well. They come in a variety of handles, from less expensive woods to more exotic Wooly Mammoth 10,000 year old bark. Beautiful works of art.

I'm also a fan of - and have many - William Henry knives. https://www.williamhenry.com/knives.html

While these are expensive - I consider all knives as "tools". They all get used. Kind of like nice watches - they get rotated around.

Another often overlooked, but incredibly pocket knife is the Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD. Small, practical (and sharp!) blade, scissors, tweezers, nail file w/ screwdriver tip and a tooth pick. Under $20 from Amazon. I always have one in my front pocket - and it get's used daily to trim nails, pull splinters from a grandchildren's foot, tighten a small screw, snip off a clothing tag, etc. I actually find my DW asking at least once a day, "can I borrow your knife?"

All three of these would suit your needs - depends on how much you want to spend.
Love this post.
Funding secured

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 am

I have a couple Leeks as well, but I tend to have on in my pocket only on the weekends.

What I really use every day is a Victorinox swiss army knife classic. For all the reasons Silver Bullet mentioned. Sure you can't subsist in the wilderness with it but it has all I need for an office environment. I used to have one on my keychain until I got tired of donating them to the TSA. So it is handy at the front of my office drawer.

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:10 am

seychellois_lib wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 pm
Boye Dendritic Cobalt folder. Very compact. I have had mine for 15 years, not a bit of rust. I use it on my sailboat. Amazingly compact and thin but extremely robust. The best there is in my humble opinion. Not cheap though.

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/folders
This is a useful thread. Who would figure Bogleheads site useful for pocket knives. And this is useful post, I have misplaced my favorite Spyderco a few months ago and missed it, used daily in my tropical fruit tree orchard and apiary. So just ordered the Boye, in safety yellow so harder to misplace in my tool shed garage. Thanks.

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:10 am

Duplicate post

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 am

Going for weight or profile? What is the use case for your current pocket knife?

Spyderco Cricket or Delica would be my top two choices.

Kershaw Leek is a good well rounded one as well.

Lux option would be Al Mar Osprey Ultralight.

I EDC a Spyderco Harpy and Victorinox Compact (2 layers and includes corkscrew and scissors). I feel like it covers 99% of my needs.