Ladies: bra shopping question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mouses

Re: Ladies: bra shopping question

Post by mouses » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:22 am

I think I followed most of the links, and found plenty of wireless bras, just not ones that looked appealing.

What I noticed most were sites that had like 400 bras and filters, but none of the filter options were Not stiff cup, etc. :-)

It's too bad there isn't something like a 3D printer that could really analyze a fabric item and duplicate it.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:09 am

SuzBanyan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 am
drawpoker wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:15 am
What strikes me - mouses specifically posted she was not interested in underwire styles.

So, the thread gets deluged with posts recommending brands known for focusing primarily on underwires :? :?
I think all of the brands discussed offer some wireless styles, so I’m not sure I understand your point. Are there any brands that do not sell any wired styles?

Further, while mouses asked for wireless and not sports styles, a number of the posts, mine included, suggested making sure she was wearing the right size. I suggested this because I was in the same place she was a few years back: The bra I wore for years was discontinued and I could not find anything — wired or wireless- to replace it. I was successful only when I found the correct size and style for me and came to understand how a bra should fit.

Like many women, I was wearing a band too large and a cup too small. That is a good combination only if you want your photo to be taken without a shirt and you don’t actually have to wear it for the rest of the day. With good information about my actual needs, I found bras that were comfortable. For me, wired was far more comfortable than wireless, but that might not be the case for mouses.
Many women who hate underwire have never worn one that is properly-fitted or of sufficient quality.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:17 am
drawpoker wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:15 am
What strikes me - mouses specifically posted she was not interested in underwire styles.

So, the thread gets deluged with posts recommending brands known for focusing primarily on underwires :? :?
Since when did threads like these here on BH pay attention to the specific question asked by the OP? :shock:
Yes, you are right, of course (SIGH) Silly me. Please forget I mentioned it :oops:

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm

I also sent you a private message.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:33 pm

mouses wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:19 pm
Any recommendations?
Yes.
Shop here - https://solgirl.com
Read the reviews - https://www.yelp.com/biz/sol-denver

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 am

Bogle7 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:33 pm
mouses wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:19 pm
Any recommendations?
Yes.
Shop here - https://solgirl.com
Read the reviews - https://www.yelp.com/biz/sol-denver
The ones there in my size and style are all wired. Plus, to comment in the manner of someone above, the devil will be shopping for ice skates before I pay $140 for a bra :-) Thanks, tho.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:25 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 am
...... the devil will be shopping for ice skates before I pay $140 for a bra :-) .......
Only $140? Ha, you must have been looking in the clearance bins
Under "new arrivals" on that site check out "Aubade Femme Glamour Demi Bra in Gold OrNoir"

Price: $199 :mrgreen:

Also, if you filter a search by price, you will learn they offer ten choices above $210 !

I love their slogan _ "Imagine a drawer full of bras you can't wait to wear!"

Oh, yes I can. Wait. :P :P

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:43 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:25 pm
mouses wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 am
...... the devil will be shopping for ice skates before I pay $140 for a bra :-) .......
Only $140? Ha, you must have been looking in the clearance bins
Under "new arrivals" on that site check out "Aubade Femme Glamour Demi Bra in Gold OrNoir"

Price: $199 :mrgreen:

Also, if you filter a search by price, you will learn they offer ten choices above $210 !

I love their slogan _ "Imagine a drawer full of bras you can't wait to wear!"

Oh, yes I can. Wait. :P :P
Try looking at prices for La Perla :shock:
And those are not the most expensive.

I assume one can have these or similar customized with gold threads, if additional cost is needed :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:22 am
I think I followed most of the links, and found plenty of wireless bras, just not ones that looked appealing.

What I noticed most were sites that had like 400 bras and filters, but none of the filter options were Not stiff cup, etc. :-)

It's too bad there isn't something like a 3D printer that could really analyze a fabric item and duplicate it.
As an engineer, my first thought on "wireless" was not an article of clothing. :)

Update: Sorry, I forgot to add:

The technology for 3D printing isn't there yet, as the material is too rigid (not flexible enough) for someone to wear as clothing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:40 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 pm
mouses wrote:

As an engineer, my first thought on "wireless" was not an article of clothing. :)

The technology for 3D printing isn't there yet, as the material is too rigid (not flexible enough) for someone to wear as clothing.
What it needed is a really programmable sewing machine with a multi-fabric feed and cutter, along with software that can analyze an existing garment, including the fabric characteristics.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:09 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:40 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 pm
mouses wrote:

What it needed is a really programmable sewing machine with a multi-fabric feed and cutter, along with software that can analyze an existing garment, including the fabric characteristics.
Just like the BH approach to investing, please be patient OP and take the long-term perspective. LadyGeek's right that 3D printing isn't well-developed enough yet to handle the materials used in clothing. I've no doubt it WILL get there, in our lifetimes. In the meantime, "sewbots" are coming. See here.

Candidly, it's not hard to imagine one day:
(1) taking a selfie,
(2) sending it through an app that can take accurate measurements of your body and research all the data about you and your preferences from your online life history + anything else you want to add into the specific app (for example, No underwires EVER! - which data point will then of course be added to your online life history and sold to the highest bidder by the entity that you first shared it with for free, but I digress),
(3) receiving a photo and price of EXACTLY (or at least close-to-exactly) what you're looking for, and inviting you to tweak as you like (with corresponding price changes and data collection/selling to highest bidder), and finally,
(4) sending the collected info to a sewbot that will produce exactly what you need and want at your preferred price point.

Whether this is all a good thing for society in the long run is open to - very off-topic and very forbidden under very well-thought-out BH forum rules - debate.

SoAnyway, there are plenty of great tips in this thread. Kudos to OP for posting.
Last edited by SoAnyway on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:18 pm

I went bra shopping recently and was surprised to find a comfortable well fitting bra at the Gap for a great price.

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

My first W2 job was at Victoria's Secret. While we were trained in how to measure clients during a fitting, it wasn't good technique. Plus, the size options are rather limited.

Many years ago due to Oprah recommending a bra fitting place (Rigby & Peller, formerly known as Intimacy), I was properly fit as a 32DDD when I had been wearing 34D.

The difference in the fit is no contest, as well as how much better you look. Yes, I now spend $75 or so on a bra, but it lasts for many years. The store would also do alterations on bras after a few years if/when the straps stretch out.

Soma is another place I've shopped that has extended sizes available. Got my nursing bras there.

annebert

Post by annebert » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 pm

The lead to A Bra that Fits is the best tip I've gotten on Bogleheads so far. Thanks!