Shingrix [Vaccine availability]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NavyIC3

Shingrix [Vaccine availability]

Post by NavyIC3 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:44 pm

I received my first shot in May. Almost impossible to get the second shot. Back ordered at every pharmacy I called. Anyone else having a hard time getting Shingrix vaccine? I live in CT.

Turbo29

Re: Shingrix

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Coworker just told me two days ago that she can't find it for her second shot anywhere here in Arizona.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Check your local Health Department. I got my first one at our local Meijer store in late April and when I went back for the second dose they were out and weren't sure when they'd be getting a resupply. Evidently there's a shortage all over. They helpfully mentioned the health department and sure enough they did have the Shingrex in stock and I was able to get it. Even nicer, since I'd already gotten my first dose at Meijer, they called me two weeks ago saying they got a resupply and did I still need the second shot.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:34 pm

Fortunately, the second injection isn't for 2 to 6 months after the first. My pharmacy has me on a list....

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Keep in mind, although it is recommended that the second shot be given 2 to 6 months after the first, the CDC says that you needn't restart the series if you aren't able to get your second dose within that window. Rather, you are to get it "as soon as possible."

https://cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/h ... /faqs.html

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Per the manufacturer and our local pharmacies, it is supposedly easier to find the second shot now or will be shortly

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Some sources are saying the shortage may go on through the rest of the year. Here in the boondocks, my pharmacist has no idea when they will get another shipment.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/shingrix-sh ... et-it-now/

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 pm

drzzzzz wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm
Per the manufacturer and our local pharmacies, it is supposedly easier to find the second shot now or will be shortly
Just had my 2nd shot :)

Are the two shots identical stuff?

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:26 pm

I'm a pharmacist at a chain pharmacy in Georgia. The Shingrix shipments have been very spotty, but we are starting to get a few vials in here and there. However, my boss is saying it might be 2019 before we are able to get in enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone on the waiting list. Its been very frustrating but it's just going to be a waiting game.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm

I just got my name added to the list at a local (Oregon) Costco for the 1st shot. They said the wait time is maybe 3 months. Someone had previously told me that when they get any in, they prioritize people who are waiting for their 2nd shot.

LSLover

Post by LSLover » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:10 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 pm
drzzzzz wrote:

I asked that very question when my 2nd shot was administered and was told affirmatively. For some reason, however, I had much more pronounced fever-like reaction for about 3 days after the second shot as compared to the first one...

moehoward

Re: Shingrix [Vaccine availability]

Post by moehoward » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Had my 2nd about a week ago in SC. Walmart was out of the Vaccine so had to wait 1 month for resupply.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Pharmacies have been pushing this vaccination - requiring pharmacists to suggest it to patients when they pick up other prescriptions; suggesting it on the phone when you order a different prescription (they have your birth date so they know who to push it too). And now, they can't deliver the 2nd dose? Seems like the supply problem could have been predicted well before they started rolling out the vaccine - all they needed to do is figure out at what point in the uptake of the first dose, they needed to stop pushing the vaccination, to ensure that those people could find a second dose. Seems like the manufacturer was irresponsible.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:50 pm

LSLover wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:10 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 pm
drzzzzz wrote:

I asked that very question when my 2nd shot was administered and was told affirmatively. For some reason, however, I had much more pronounced fever-like reaction for about 3 days after the second shot as compared to the first one...
The first dose could have sensitized you to the second. Or any other number of explanations, including something about your health (immune response) was different between the 2 doses.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Is there any positive effect in restarting with the first if you can't get the second shot, assuming they are different?

Any harm in taking an infinite number of the first shot?

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm
Is there any positive effect in restarting with the first if you can't get the second shot, assuming they are different?

The first and second shots are identical. The second shot should be given between two and six months after the first one. If it's after six months the CDC recommends not starting the vaccination series over but rather give the second shot as soon as possible.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingl ... /faqs.html

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:09 am

fsrph wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm
tibbitts wrote:

The first and second shots are identical. The second shot should be given between two and six months after the first one. If it's after six months the CDC recommends not starting the vaccination series over but rather give the second shot as soon as possible.

Francis
Thanks. In my case, since I am with Kaiser Medicare - I was confident that Kaiser would have the second shot supply within the window - because Kaiser was controlling the folks who get the first shot. My wife (5 years younger) was told she has not reached the top of the list to receive it.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:34 am

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:48 am

I just called our CVS to see if they have any, as we both need to do this.
But we also want to schedule it so any side effects won't interfere with times we need to be "on", etc.
And I want to *thank* those who have shared some significant side effects.
Without reading these, we might have been a bit too blase about this, because we weren't aware that it wasn't all that uncommon to be under the weather like that and possibly for a few days.
Now, we'll schedule Shingrix so that just in case, we won't be risking any important meetings or travel. It's easy enough to do, IF one knows the possibility. I'm guessing physicians (ours, anyway) aren't emphasizing this, lest they scare too many away from getting it at all.
Just another genuine benefit of this great community on Bogleheads! :happy

CVS didn't have it just now, but they immediately told us which other nearby CVS did have some as of this morning, and they suggested that we call and ask them to reserve 2 doses for us. It was a very nearby CVS; it wasn't like we'd have had to drive some great distance or go chasing after it.
So apparently there is still some "around".
Whether those are the "last doses in the region"... I don't know.

(However, it sounded like we should "just call" again later to find out "where the recent/current supplies are", as though they are sending batches alternating to single pharmacies rather than doling out tiny quantities to each... but he didn't actually say that. However, there was no sense of "hurry, hurry, once those are gone...!" He's been more clear about shortages when there have been other significant ones such that there just were none to be had for a while.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:59 am

I am waiting until the novelty wears off a bit and supplies increase before I get mine.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:13 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:48 am
I just called our CVS to see if they have any, as we both need to do this.
But we also want to schedule it so any side effects won't interfere with times we need to be "on", etc.
And I want to *thank* those who have shared some significant side effects.
Without reading these, we might have been a bit too blase about this, because we weren't aware that it wasn't all that uncommon to be under the weather like that and possibly for a few days.
Now, we'll schedule Shingrix so that just in case, we won't be risking any important meetings or travel. It's easy enough to do, IF one knows the possibility. I'm guessing physicians (ours, anyway) aren't emphasizing this, lest they scare too many away from getting it at all.
Just another genuine benefit of this great community on Bogleheads! :happy

CVS didn't have it just now, but they immediately told us which other nearby CVS did have some as of this morning, and they suggested that we call and ask them to reserve 2 doses for us. It was a very nearby CVS; it wasn't like we'd have had to drive some great distance or go chasing after it.
So apparently there is still some "around".
Whether those are the "last doses in the region"... I don't know.

(However, it sounded like we should "just call" again later to find out "where the recent/current supplies are", as though they are sending batches alternating to single pharmacies rather than doling out tiny quantities to each... but he didn't actually say that. However, there was no sense of "hurry, hurry, once those are gone...!" He's been more clear about shortages when there have been other significant ones such that there just were none to be had for a while.)

RM
When my Kaiser PCP authorized me for the shots, she warned me about more possible (probable) side effects vs the older one.

She also told me that when this was first offered to Kaiser patients - the Kaiser Physicians were not adequately informed about the side effects and, therefore, did not warn patients - until large numbers of patients began to call with the reports.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Just for the record, I experienced no side effects from either the the first or second shot. Although I got a tetanus booster at the same time as the second shot (tetanus was in the other arm) and that arm hurt like the devil for two days.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Yooper wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:05 pm
Just for the record, I experienced no side effects from either the the first or second shot. Although I got a tetanus booster at the same time as the second shot (tetanus was in the other arm) and that arm hurt like the devil for two days.
My side effects were moderate/mild - but my arm was sore (and warm) for 2 days and I had a slight headache. Both shots.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:37 pm

We wanted to get the 1st Shingrix vaccination but like others, we had a hard time finding it locally. After several days of searching I got the idea to check outside of our area. I called an in-store pharmacy (Publix) in a small college town 30 minutes away. They had plenty of it and told me to come on by. Done and done.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Woodshark wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:37 pm
We wanted to get the 1st Shingrix vaccination but like others, we had a hard time finding it locally. After several days of searching I got the idea to check outside of our area. I called an in-store pharmacy (Publix) in a small college town 30 minutes away. They had plenty of it and told me to come on by. Done and done.
Good idea!

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Does one have to be at least 65 to get the insurance to pay for this vaccine?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:48 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:41 pm
I am over 65, but I think insurance may pay for those younger - but above the recommended minimum age.

boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:19 pm

60 years old is the age when it is recommended and likely to be covered by insurance. That is when Kaiser covered my shot. That was the old one. I recently, at 66, got the new one. I hadn't had any side effects with the old one so didn't take the nurse seriously when she told me about the side effects of muscle aches and fever and recommended taking some ibuprofen for a few days. I woke up in the middle of the night, after getting the shot, with a fever and my arm felt so sore it was painful to move it. I took ibuprofen then and it did help. After 24 hours I was back to normal.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:29 pm

boomergeneration wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:19 pm
60 years old is the age when it is recommended and likely to be covered by insurance. That is when Kaiser covered my shot.
Actually the CDC and the Shingrix package insert recommend vaccination at age 50 and above. However, with so many insurance plans out there you have to check with your plan as to coverage.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingl ... index.html

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:41 pm

fsrph wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm
tibbitts wrote:

Francis
Thanks for the link. I wouldn't have gotten the first dose if I knew I couldn't get a second in the recommended time, I just had never thought of that. I'm not buying the more than six months being okay.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:29 pm

I understand the Shingrix shot is recommended even for those (like myself) who have received the Zostavax shot. Will insurance cover it if they have already covered the other shot?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:29 pm
I understand the Shingrix shot is recommended even for those (like myself) who have received the Zostavax shot. Will insurance cover it if they have already covered the other shot?
Mine did - well they would cover the second Shingrex if I could get it.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:46 pm

HueyLD wrote:
My wife is under 60 and her Shingrix was paid for by her ACA policy. I am over 65 and mine was not paid for by my Medicare Part D plan because I had not yet met my $405 deductible.

The CDC recommends that adults over 50 receive the shot(s). See here......
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingl ... index.html
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:52 pm

I went through the waiting list deal for my second shot at CVS. Since I was approaching the 6 month window....I finally went in to CVS and asked the pharma-tech to call other stores to see if anyone had it in stock. Shonuf...he found me a shot at CVS in the next town over. 1hour later. done.

but OMG... the second shot hurt worse than the first. 65% flu symptoms for a couple of days as my immune system went into action, and sore arm too.

my BIL almost lost his eye sight when he got the shingles at 63 as his face, eye-lids, and eyes were affected. it is no joke. get the vaccine!!

even a single dose is very helpful.

IIRC: one dose reduces likelihood of contracting shingles by 70%, two doses increased immunity to 90+%.

(I DO "buy" that no restart is needed if you have to wait more than 6 months. immunity will increase with the second dose... it is just a question of 'by how much'. it is likely that 7 or 9 month spacing is not quite as effective as 3 to 6 month spacing... but the difference is probably not that much. the bottom line is the new vaccine seems to be very effective, and that the second dose raises immunity by another 20 - 25%, and each individual is different.)
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm

I went to the local CVS in Scottsdale last week to get flu and pneumonia shots. Pharmacist said that Shingrix vaccine is not available and to check back early next year.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 am

I wonder if the old Shingles vaccine might be worthwhile if you have not received it and you cannot get the new one??

Over the years, I have spoken to lots of folks who have gotten shingles - and all report how awful it is.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:47 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 am
I wonder if the old Shingles vaccine might be worthwhile if you have not received it and you cannot get the new one??

Over the years, I have spoken to lots of folks who have gotten shingles - and all report how awful it is.
my dr told me they discovered that the old vaccine didn't work very well which is why they came out with the new version.

my mother had shingles -- get vaccinated.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:50 pm

i didn't realize there was a shortage until i read this thread last night.

i just got back from costco where i got my 2nd shingrex vaccination. i told the pharmacist about this thread; and he said they also had been out for a while. they got 10 vaccines last week and 4 more this morning, and after my visit he told me they had 2 left. he told me they order it every day -- sometimes they get some and sometimes they don't.

i feel lucky that i was able to get this taken care of without going on a waiting list. i live in a suburb of atlanta.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:18 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Not always. I'm 57 and my wife is 53. Blue Cross/Blue Shield covered ours at 100% as it is preventative.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Woodshark wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:18 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Not always. I'm 57 and my wife is 53. Blue Cross/Blue Shield covered ours at 100% as it is preventative.
I paid $0. Anthem PPO... ($0...except for the $700/month insurance premiums!)
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Actually, it's just the opposite.

If you are under 65 and have insurance through the ACA it is covered 100% as a required, preventive benefit.

If you are over 65 and on Medicare you will likely pay a co-pay as this comes under Part D benefits (not Part B which covers the flu shot and pneumonia vaccines) So the amount of the co-pay can vary from a teeny weeny bit to a whole lot. :x

(If you in a Medicare Advantage plan instead of carrying separate Part D insurance they will decide how they dole out Part D benefits and at what co-pay. Again, it varies quite a bit, according to plan.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Actually, it's just the opposite.
If you are under 65 and have insurance through the ACA it is covered 100% as a required, preventive benefit.
If you are over 65 and on Medicare you will likely pay a co-pay as this comes under Part D benefits (not Part B which covers the flu shot and pneumonia vaccines) So the amount of the co-pay can vary from a teeny weeny bit to a whole lot. :x
(If you in a Medicare Advantage plan instead of carrying separate Part D insurance they will decide how they dole out Part D benefits and at what co-pay. Again, it varies quite a bit, according to plan.
All vaccines and immunizations are covered 100% (no copay) on our Kaiser Medicare plan. I get the annual flu shot, as needed tetanus, etc. , updated pneumonia shot and, most recently, the shingrix

zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:38 pm

mlebuf wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm
I went to the local CVS in Scottsdale last week to get flu and pneumonia shots. Pharmacist said that Shingrix vaccine is not available and to check back early next year.
Michael, I've had the same experience with the VA in Phoenix. I check every 6 months, and am told to try again in a few months. (Not being critical of the VA, it's a nationwide problem, not a VA problem.)

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 pm

mlebuf wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm
My CVS ( located in Target ) just received a shipment today.
All the Best, | Joe

khh

Post by khh » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:31 pm

I got my first Shingrix shot 4 weeks ago. Had a sore arm and felt achy for a day or so.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:36 pm

My wife and I got our 1st Shingrix shots just over 2 months ago at our local WalMart pharmacy (my part D drug plan is Humana Walmart because I take no maintenance medications). We checked back about a week ago at the 2 month point and were put on a waiting list for our second shots. Today we received a call saying they are available today. We're heading over soon.

I was a little leary about using WalMart as my primary pharmacy but have been quite impressed with the service (and prices). My wife is still on an ACA plan and 'shops' her drugs due to the large deductible and poor drug pricing of the plan. The staff at our WalMart pharmacy has been very helpful for her. She called her insurer to question whether her Shingrix would be covered and was told that it was not so she took a Good Rx coupon along with her when we went to get our initial shots. The WalMart customer service rep questioned the use of the coupon and told my wife that she was going to run the insurance anyway because she thought it may "save my wife a lot of money." Turns out the WalMart rep was correct and the insurance plan rep was wrong....my wife's Shingrix shot was fully covered! We assume the second will be as well.

Although I take no maintenance drugs I had a very involved surgery a few months ago and needed pain and other meds during my fairly lengthy recovery. I seldom had a drug cost more that $4 and some were $1. The most expensive was around $15. Even with the surgery medications my Shingrix shot is not covered by my Part D plan because I haven't yet met my $405 Part D deductible. Needless to say, I've been very pleased after hearing so many horror stories about the cost of prescription drugs.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Got my second one, and did not feel well the next day. Mostly just tired and small fever that night. Slept a lot the day after getting the second one. Second day I was fine though, but still took it easy. The first one was not problem.
My wife did not do well with either one.
The pharmacist has some in stock so she let me buy mine a week ahead of when I wanted to get it, and she put it in a special fridge for me with my name on it. When I went to get it, they had a waiting list of 20 people.
Dan999

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:43 pm

The first shot for both my wife and I were no big deal, just sore arms and a little tiredness the day after.

The second shot was the same for my wife but for me the night and day after I felt rotten! I'm glad I had nothing planned. I was exhausted, had sore muscles and very bad headache. I couldn't sleep the first night, mainly due to the headache. The headache began to slowly subside the day after so I slept that day and through the next night. The second day I felt okay.

I had read here and elsewhere that the side effects from the second shot can be worse and for me they certainly were!

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am

DW and I just received our second shot. The vaccine is still very scarce in our area. I used an old-fashioned method to find a pharmacy that had it available. I got on the phone and started calling pharmacies in our area. I just kept calling until I had success. I used the same method in October for the first shot. I found the first shot at a Walgreens. This time, I found it at a supermarket pharmacy.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 am

sport wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am
DW and I just received our second shot.... I used the same method in October for the first shot. I found the first shot at a Walgreens. This time, I found it at a supermarket pharmacy.
Why didn’t you wait longer for the second shot? The ideal spacing between the two shots is 6 months as I understand it.

We are on a wait list but since we’ve had the old shot, I’m not too worried. The Shingrex also is supposed to lose its effectiveness over time. You might want to repeat it every 20 or 30 years. We’ll know better as time goes on.