I own 1,387 items!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

I own 1,387 items!

Post by Caduceus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:17 am

I finally had the chance to do some unpacking after moving to my new place and was a little shocked at the number.

I did some reasonable right-sizing for counting purposes. So, a bunch of keys on one keyring counts as one item. But ten t-shirts do count as ten items. For papers, I counted every 3-inch binder as one item. Every kitchen item counted separately, including bowls and forks and spoons.

I thought I was fairly minimalist. I don't how know people get down to 100 items! I have a lot of old family photos and antiques that's like 25% of that number.

How many items do you think you own?

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Re: I own 1,387 items!

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 am

I'm not OCD enough to bother counting, but I definitely have too much clutter, especially papers/mail/books/textbooks. It's no fun when I move. I would benefit from scanning/digitizing everything and selling/donating most old college textbooks.

I do need to inventory things by taking photos and logging make/model/serial # in Excel in case of burglary or damage. But no way will I count all the things I have. Probably thousands. And I'm only in my 30s and not a homeowner.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:21 am

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:17 am
I finally had the chance to do some unpacking after moving to my new place and was a little shocked at the number.

I did some reasonable right-sizing for counting purposes. So, a bunch of keys on one keyring counts as one item. But ten t-shirts do count as ten items. For papers, I counted every 3-inch binder as one item. Every kitchen item counted separately, including bowls and forks and spoons.

I thought I was fairly minimalist. I don't how know people get down to 100 items! I have a lot of old family photos and antiques that's like 25% of that number.

I don't think anyone has counted this.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

khh

Post by khh » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:18 am

Caduceus wrote:
1152. That's down from 1158 the week before.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:34 am

That number doesn't seem that big to me. I mean I have 8 each of large plates, small plates, bowls, glasses, and 16 each of silverware. That's over 100 in one cabinet and one drawer. We have an ice cream scooper and a melon baller if that gives you a sense for the rest of the kitchen. Easily another hundred shirts pants ties socks. Then there is my wife's clothes. I am sure I have 100 cables and various electronic equipment in one plastic bin in the garage. I'm in bed right now -- comforter flat sheet fitted sheet mattress bed two pillows and cases each two night stands and lamps, phones kindle and case two books baby monitor house plant hand lotion. Does the dog count? That's like 2 dozen things I can touch without moving. I have two kids so we probably hit 1300 just with their stuff. Our house is under 1200 square feet and isn't particularly cramped.
Last edited by mega317 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:42 am

No idea and no space issue.
Also I have no idea why I would count.
Is your new place crowded?
Where did the 100 item requirement come from? Latest trend or book?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:48 am

A person has 14 rolls of pennies, each penny is an item, how many items do I have?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:48 am
A person has 14 rolls of pennies, each penny is an item, how many items do I have?

Op did you count each coin in the house separately?

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 am

Okay - I googled "100 items" and see this is a minimalistic thing. I still don't get the point or how this thread is actionable.

chevca

Post by chevca » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:23 am

Who would bother counting this?? Well, the OP, I guess.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:30 am

mega317 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

Guess you are counting the wrappers too.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:36 am

I think that sounds very low. My house isn't cluttered and I'm the only one living there and it wouldn't surprise me if I had about half that many items just in my basement with tools, electronics, etc. I'd imagine most families would be pushing towards much higher numbers.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 am

How do you count tools? My lift is easy to count as one item if I include the 2 removable ramps and 4 ramp stops in that one item. What about my tools? Do I just say 1 item, "tools"? Or would I count 5 adjustable wrenches, 1 1/2" socket wrench, 1 1/2" breaker bar, 2 1/2" torque wrench, 15 metric box wrenches, 50 combination metric wrenches, 20 imperial wrenches, 100 metric sockets.........

I can see getting to 1000 without even getting away from the tool box, tool chest and the tools hanging on the peg board......
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:25 am

DW and I have been cleaning our sunroom which had been used to store clutter. We had many items there, both large and small. We have gone through similar process for other rooms and storage building and attic storage. We probably have more than 1387 items in one category, books. I am sure we have many thousands of items although we are trying to eliminate clutter and junk. I am not sure that we are winning the battle, but we keep trying.

Several people in our Sunday School class have recently moved to retirement community apartments and have gone through the downsizing exercise. That exercise is difficult and emotional, as they have to decide what items to keep or discard. They usually wind up with a storage rental for stuff they do not have room to keep.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:30 am

People actually count this???? I have no interest... the total is probably well into the 5 figures no matter how creative I get defining "item".

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:43 am

Caduceus wrote:
... a bunch of keys on one keyring counts as one item...
1 house where I keep my stuff but technically I don't 'own' it, so 0

I don't think I own anything I wouldn't be willing to throw away. For convenience, there's a handful of documents and ID's that I would rather not have to replace, like passport, diplomas... Some electronics that have useful life left and would be a waste to replace... I've acquired a bunch of stuff, but I wouldn't think twice about moving with a single piece of luggage, the clothes on my back, and send the rest to the dump or thrift store.
Last edited by JoMoney on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:46 am

I obsessed with counting how low my portfolio expenses are, and that's it! :- ) It takes about 30 minutes to multiply the ER with each asset and tallying it up.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 am
How do you count tools? My lift is easy to count as one item if I include the 2 removable ramps and 4 ramp stops in that one item. What about my tools? Do I just say 1 item, "tools"? Or would I count 5 adjustable wrenches, 1 1/2" socket wrench, 1 1/2" breaker bar, 2 1/2" torque wrench, 15 metric box wrenches, 50 combination metric wrenches, 20 imperial wrenches, 100 metric sockets.........

I can see getting to 1000 without even getting away from the tool box, tool chest and the tools hanging on the peg board......
I am guessing minimalists don't own tools nor do most own homes I'm guessing. If something breaks they call the landlord or hire a handyman. Maybe they own a swiss-army knife or leatherman as their only tool :)
They can't have dinner parties either - not enough dishes/stemware/silverware (My china cabinet alone is well over 100 items - and since some of my fondest memories are family/friend gatherings with dinner parties I have no desire to cut back). Can't play golf - too many items with clubs, balls, tee's and all. Most hobbies are out I suppose as each has a myriad of items associated with it.

TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am

Way too many. I'd wager that the kids have close to that many items.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:02 am

I would not be surprised if I have more than 1,000 items just in my kitchen. I have large family gatherings and need several sets of silverware, serving pieces, plates, etc. I simply do not have the time needed to count my things. I think it is more important to have what you need and what you love rather than having a certain number.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:11 am

"He Who Has The Most Toys When He Dies Wins" :mrgreen:

- Ron

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:14 am

GoldStar wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 am
Okay - I googled "100 items" and see this is a minimalistic thing. I still don't get the point or how this thread is actionable.
...or useful :happy

Has a Rain Man flavor to it.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:15 am

OP you need to get a bigger house, barn, tool shed, and some acreage!

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 am

Caduceus wrote:

Caduceus,

<<I thought I was fairly minimalist. I don't how know people get down to 100 items! I have a lot of old family photos and antiques that's like 25% of that number. >>

1) It is easy. Just move to the overseas and have to pack everything that you own in the check-in luggages. Do this a few times and then you will realize exactly what you need to own.

2) You would scan all old family photos since you cannot carry them all.

KlangFool

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 am

I'm hoping this thread gets deleted, not just locked...
😞
Attempted new signature...

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 am

Jacob Lund Fisker from Early Retirement Extreme blog used to say that he always could move super easy since all his stuff could fit in one suitcase. The point is, not trying to own a lot of stuff is key to a frugal lifestyle, although I don't think even he ever counted all his stuff.

If I did try to count at least the major things I own, I'm sure I'll be able to get rid of a lot of stuff that I never touch. I think it is a cool idea of someone going through all the stuff to see if they own any "waste" and get rid of it or sell it.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:30 am
mega317 wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

Nice, sounds like one of those Facebook riddles that get posted by the same person every day!!!

:sharebeer
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am

I tend to think in terms of weight and number of boxes rather than number of items based on my experience moving from one part of the country to another.

Before settling down in River City, I moved once a year (taking year-long visiting professorships in various areas as a way to see where I might like to retire). I could always get the institution to cover my moving expenses, but I found that moving companies won't move you if you have less than 3000 lbs. So I made sure that I just reached that number. I supposed most of the weight was due to my books. I know there were always more boxes of books than anything else, and those things are heavy. There are also several boxes with my research equipment and materials.

Apart from the research stuff (which is in a small storage area), what I currently have with me fits into a small one-bedroom apartment. The actionable part of this, I suppose, is that I think it's worthwhile to engage in a process of organizing and "right-sizing" one's possessions. Of course, this process is a highly individual one. What's best for me might not work as well for others.

Even though I had downsized for the yearly moves earlier, I spent a few months this year cleaning out closets and cabinets. For one thing, there really is no point keeping things I don't use when I can donate them to Goodwill, etc. so that someone can get some use out of them.

More importantly, I've found it very helpful to follow Marie Kondo's dictum that we should arrange our things so that we are able to see what we have (e.g., lining up items in drawers rather than stacking them). I was surprised to find out that I had a quite a few useful items that I had no idea I had (e.g., I had planned to purchase some good kitchen knives, but when I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets I found that I already had several). I had no idea I had so many shoes (this is actually a good thing because my feet are hard to fit).

After going through this process I now know that I really don't want more clothes than will fit in my closet. I don't want or need any more kitchen utensils. Better yet, everything now is arranged so that I can see what I have (e.g., my pantry shelves are organized so that I can tell at a glance what's on hand and what needs to be purchased). I now know where everything is.

I do still buy books, but my new books are e-books.

I must confess that I still have quite a few boxes in storage in the basement of an apartment building my sister and I own. These are from the original downsizing I made prior to taking up the visiting professorships. As you might guess, the majority are boxes of books. One of these days I will go through those to find out what's worth keeping and what should be donated/tossed. Of course, 10 of those boxes are things that I'm holding for my son. God forbid I ever get rid of his legos - he would never forgive me.

Riley15

Post by Riley15 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am

Caduceus wrote:

Gandhi owned less than 10 Items!

You do not own 1,387 items they probably own you since you had to count them.

You do not have to own anything if you free it from your thoughts.

A bowl or a spoon claim no ownership to anyone and serves all equally. Be like the bowl and the spoon.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:04 am

Riley15 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am
Caduceus wrote:

A bowl or a spoon claim no ownership to anyone and serves all equally. Be like the bowl and the spoon.
Can I have your username? Please PM the password.
dwickenh wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:30 am
mega317 wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

Nice, sounds like one of those Facebook riddles that get posted by the same person every day!!!

:sharebeer
Lol, awesome.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
The "person" has 84 items. 70 pennies and 14 wrappers. I don't know how many items "YOU" have.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 am

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 am
😞
This thread has the potential to be great. I hope it goes on and on.

It's fascinating! I can't believe people would actually count how many items they own??? This can't be a real thing, can it???

100 items? No way this is real, but it is entertaining.
Funding secured

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am

Riley15 wrote:
Caduceus wrote:

More than the count it is about not being attached to those things.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:05 am

My dog "owns" more than 100 things.
Funding secured

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:09 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
If these are 50-cent rolls, you have 14 x 50 + 14 (containers) = 714 items.

You have 14 x $0.50 = $7 worth of pennies. If you exchange your pennies for dollars, you will have 7 x 1 + 0 (no containers) = 7 items.
You will reduce your penny holdings by the factor of 10. Gratification at its best!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:11 am

While I'm not a minimalist (probably have 10's of thousands of items but no issue with it) you did give me an idea: Limit the kids to a pre-set number of items for moving them back to college!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am

Riley15 wrote:
My stone-age ancestors were not required to wear loin clothes. They had at least one item fewer than Gandhi.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:17 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:05 am
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:18 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am
More than the count it is about not being attached to those things.
You can cut the strings and live with no strings attached.

Victoria

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:18 am

rich126 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:36 am
I think that sounds very low. My house isn't cluttered and I'm the only one living there and it wouldn't surprise me if I had about half that many items just in my basement with tools, electronics, etc. I'd imagine most families would be pushing towards much higher numbers.
I agree. I imagine I have 5 digits of items and don't consider myself a hoarder or minimalist. I would guess I have over 400 items in glasses and dishes and silverware.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:19 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:11 am
While I'm not a minimalist (probably have 10's of thousands of items but no issue with it) you did give me an idea: Limit the kids to a pre-set number of items for moving them back to college!
Do the kids count as "items"? If yes, don't let them date or marry, or they will multiply.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 am

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 am
I'm not OCD enough to bother counting, but I definitely have too much clutter, especially papers/mail/books/textbooks. It's no fun when I move. I would benefit from scanning/digitizing everything and selling/donating most old college textbooks.
Textbooks, books and some papers are not clutter. They are the means of preservation of the civilization in the face of growing attacks from digital technologies.
Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 am
I do need to inventory things by taking photos and logging make/model/serial # in Excel in case of burglary or damage. But no way will I count all the things I have. Probably thousands. And I'm only in my 30s and not a homeowner.
If you are in your 30s, you have only 50 years left to count all your things. You better start now.

Victoria

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 am

DanMahowny wrote:
:D hahahah. This thread is so awful I can't turn away from it. I think my dogs may own more than 100 items too but probably won't get around to counting these things. Please keep the thread going.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 am

ChowYunPhat wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 am
DanMahowny wrote:
:D hahahah. This thread is so awful I can't turn away from it. I think my dogs may own more than 100 items too but probably won't get around to counting these things. Please keep the thread going.
Are fleas "items"?

Victoria

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 am

Probably 5,000. I got rid of roughly 600 items in spring. I kept track in a spreadsheet for a 30 day challenge viewtopic.php?t=242937. I've purged a lot since, but no longer count the items

It feels amazing to free your space (or Storage Space!) of unused items. The most important takeaway from doing a purge is you no longer want buy useless stuff, which means your trajectory is no longer in the hoarder direction. Got rid if Amazon prime since we hadn't been using it except for the video service.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:09 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

You have 14 x $0.50 = $7 worth of pennies. If you exchange your pennies for dollars, you will have 7 x 1 + 0 (no containers) = 7 items.
You will reduce your penny holdings by the factor of 10. Gratification at its best!

Victoria
Get a cashier's check. 1 item.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:11 am

mega317 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

Victoria
I was thinking credit card. In actuality, if one had a credit card with a large enough credit amount and a large enough bank account to pay it off every month I suppose the credit card and the clothes on ones back are all that is needed (perhaps a back-pack with one extra set of clothes as well). The credit card can be used for all dining, hotel living expenses, daily cleaning of yesterday's clothes, etc. Single credit-card - the ultimate minimalistic technique!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:12 am

mega317 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

Victoria
And if you use some of your other (non-penny) money to pay for the cashier's check, you reduce your item count further. You can count on the Bogleheads to devise optimum solutions.

Victoria

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:23 am

I have thousands of items, definitely more than most families, but I have 12 people in my family. So, it is not really comparable. I could get rid of some stuff and I regularly purge. However, I think the number of items you need/have in your life tend to function as to 1)what stage of life you are in (little kids often have more toys, you'd need diapers for babies even if you used cloth etc. while older kids may have a kindle and a few other things) and 2) your interest/hobbies s. While I will have less as my kids get older (fewer plates, their toys, etc.) I wouldn't want to get down to 100 items as I think that what you own often says a lot about you - If I had no hobbies and all I did was work and rarely came home to even sleep, I could really be a minimalist in my house - I may not even need a kitchen. However, that isn't the kind of life I want to live.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 am
The Wizard wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 am
😞
This thread has the potential to be great. I hope it goes on and on.

It's fascinating! I can't believe people would actually count how many items they own??? This can't be a real thing, can it???

100 items? No way this is real, but it is entertaining.
No, this is really a thing among minimalists. If you read Your Money Or Your Life the author actually suggests doing this. I'm sure I own at least 10 times as much as the OP. Heck, I bet my family owns 10,000 Legos.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course