Retirement location planning

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Elysium

Retirement location planning

Post by Elysium » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:17 pm

We are probably 6-10 years away from retiring (semi-retiring), and lately someone brought up topic of retirement locations away from the east coast weather pattern, potentially in warmer places.

Florida / Orlando is the top place due to following factors:
(EDIT: Following are the major criteria, feel free to comment on altenative locations that meets them]
1. Warm weather throughout the year
2. Plenty of entertainment / attractions / tourism throughout the year
3. Multi-cuisine food scene, lots to chose from
4. Home prices are half that of our current home
5. Potential to buy fully paid home for $350K (very nice house at that price)
6. Access to major international airport
7. Flight destinations to all major U.S cities at a cheaper cost than most places
8. Lower taxes and relatively lower cost of living

Potential downsides from my view are:
1. Bugs
2. Humidity

Don't know any other unique problems exist other than same as any major population centers.

We expect to live an active life style and it appears Orlando will support this goal.

I would love to go to CA if it were possible, but for HCOL and Taxes ruled out. Not intersted in Texas (no offense to Texans but too hot and humid for me), or any other places in South that may be warmer, but a bit sedate IMO (again no offense to any of the fine places just personal preference) compared to entertainment options in Florida / Orlando.

What am I missing?
Last edited by Elysium on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

xenochrony

Re: Retirement location planning

Post by xenochrony » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Hurricanes are what your missing. Do not underestimate these phenomenae. And the associated flooding, even with smaller tropical storm events. Finally, the excessive humidity, heat, and bugs will impact your active outdoor lifestyle goals as many times you will just stay inside as it is too damn hot and uncomfortable to be out there. Ive paddled through much of the everglades in the summer. You cannot fathom how dense the bug count is. It is beyond comprehension. Unless all of your outdoor activities are in the ocean, but even water temps can be excessive in the summer. It does get cooler down at 10 meters below the sea, so make sure to get your dive license.

Topic Author
Elysium

Post by Elysium » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Are hurricanes are factor in Orlando area? isn't that more towards the coastal areas.

What other places fit the criteria listed above.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 pm

I pulled the following off the web very quickly just with a search on "Orlando FL crime rate."

"The crime data reveals that the overall Orlando, FL crime rates are 94% higher than in comparison to the Florida mean and are 114% higher than the nation's mean. In regards to violent offenses, Orlando, FL has a rate that is 95% higher than the Florida average; compared to the United States, it is 117% higher than.
Orlando, FL Crime Rates & Statistics - AreaVibes"
https://www.areavibes.com/orlando-fl/crime/

There are bugs year-round, but not really bad in the winter. Florida is flat. If you like mountains, there aren't any.

If you move to a retirement community or community with lots of retired people you will make new friends. If you are moving away from family, think carefully about whether you'll see them as much as you think you will.

If you really want to move to Florida, I'd suggest east or west coast rather than Orlando, unless, maybe, the amusement parks have some special significance to you. You'll have better access to beaches and museums and theaters. The east coast is the more expensive choice, and anywhere in Miami-Ft Lauderdale area is likely rushed, crowded, expensive, and the cities have a lively vibe. The west coast is more laid back, less expensive, less crowded, but getting moreso over time.

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:30 pm

I recently moved to Tampa Bay area - Tampa airport is nice and has many flights - I think including international, not sure.

Hurricanes: areas by the coast or right on Tampa Bay are evacuation zones because of potential storm surge but inland areas can still get the winds and flooding from heavy rain. Winds from Hurricane Irma knocked down lots of trees where I live, power was out for 5 days, even though no coastal flooding in this immediate area.

August and September are the most brutal as far as the heat and humidity. You are likely spending August and September doing indoor activities.

I moved here from N. Calif where environmentalists fought hard to save many open spaces as preserves - I miss that more natural environment, the mountains, the hills. But not the real estate prices. The Tampa area is heavily populated for many miles in all directions - you have to drive at least an hour before seeing any open space except on the beaches which I find boring. There are some nice parks but they are small.

On the other hand, beautiful cloud formations in summer, lush vegetation, beautiful sunsets if you have the right location, like by the ocean - but then you are in an evacuation zone and it costs a lot more to buy or rent.

Topic Author
Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:48 pm

I have no interest to move closer to Tampa Bay or Miami, as both are hurricane prone. I was thinking about Orlando because it is away from water and so probably less prone to hurricanes and flooding. But the crime rate stats is a problem, and the humidity and heat could be a problem too.

Where does that leave us? We have time to think about and decide, but it is an important aspecct of our retirement planning as I may not be able to pay off my current home by the time we hit retirement age, and I wish to be be totally debt free by then. We are probably well set regarding our investment portfolio, baring any catastrophical events in the market that will affect almost everyone else.

Housing is going to be the key, and cost of living with warmer weather surely helps.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:53 pm

You probably want to utilize Google. Orlando has awesome traffic and long restaurant lines.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:33 pm

There is a guy named Ron Stack who sells books evaluating retirement places including Florida and has a huge website with info on various places to live in Florida and risks to be aware of. You might find it informative.

But keep in mind that his approach to sell book seems to be to use scare tactics - I think a lot of what he says is true (based on the small part of Florida I am familiar with) but he slants it in an alarmist way because I suspect it gets him a lot of book sales. Also he has been predicting a housing crash in Florida for at least 3 years - hasn't happened yet. I didn't buy his book.

Anyhow, he lists several towns within half an hour of Orlando as being good places to consider living, so perhaps not right in Orlando but close would check your boxes.

Here's his home page if I can figure out how to add a URL:
https://www.stateoffloridaliving.com/

And here is a page where he focuses on hurricane safety and mentions several towns near Orlando as good safe places:
https://www.stateoffloridaliving.com/sa ... tire-live/

Case59

Post by Case59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:48 pm

If your circumstances permit, consider at time of retirement selling your house and then renting in Orlando for six months or a year. That way you could see if the reality is as good as you hope, without getting totally committed by buying yet.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:22 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:53 pm
You probably want to utilize Google. Orlando has awesome traffic and long restaurant lines.
Awesome = God awful

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:49 am

Huntsville, Alabama is an ideal location for you.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am

If you are thinking about coming west, CO, AZ, NM, NV may fit your criteria. NM and NV in particular may be of interest from lower cost perspective. Low humidity and if you get some altitude, few bugs.

CO: Colorado Springs and Grand Junction
NM: Santa Fe and Taos
AZ: Flagstaff, Phoenix
NV: Reno and south, e.g. Carson City, Gardnersville and possibly Las Vegas environs

Anything north e.g. WY, MT, ID would be too cold/snowy. Pacific NW, e.g. OR and WA will be humid
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 am

dpm321 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:22 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:53 pm
Awesome = God awful
I didn't put a sarcasm font on my post, but hopefully he gets it.

It boggles my mind when people don't type things into Google first as if no one else has ever considered doing something.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

janiebegood

Post by janiebegood » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:00 am

We lived in Orlando 1996-2002. The population had grown from 300K in 1990 to 1.3M in 1996, causing lots of growing pains around development and traffic. The last stat I saw for number of annual visitors to the Orlando metro area was 44 million. So of course the crime stats are amplified - they include not just resident-related incidents but tourist-related incidents.

Longwood, Maitland, Winter Park, and Windermere are all nice suburbs near Orlando where the biggest intruder you will likely see is the quaintly termed "water bug" or "palmetto bug" - AKA the largest cockroach you have ever seen. They aren't ubiquitous, and they aren't a sign of a dirty kitchen. They were there long before people arrived in the area.

I put up with the heat in summer (read: April - mid-October) because the winters (read: November - March) were lovely -- not hot, not rainy. I understand temps are higher now than they were when we lived there. It's not uncommon to have 90s in February now. That trend is likely to go up, not down, as is the chance for more severe weather.

But all hurricane routes lead to Orlando, from both coasts. So if you want to live in Florida but cushion your impact from hurricanes, it's not a bad place to choose.

kayakprof

Post by kayakprof » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Having grown up in Florida, Orlando has never been appealing. It is an enormous sprawling suburb with the worst of traffic. For Florida as a whole, however, one can paddle hundreds of rivers that are clear enough for visibility to the bottom. Port Saint Joe and Appalachicola are still relatively beautiful and inexpensive areas. These locations are in the panhandle on the west coast. In those locations, one can sail, paddleboard, kayak, canoe, jetski, motorboat, dive, fish, oyster, etc. The beaches are nice. There are state parks for camping and hiking. In July and August it is prudent to vacation in the NE or NW, as the heat and bugs are hard to endure.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Case59 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:48 pm
If your circumstances permit, consider at time of retirement selling your house and then renting in Orlando for six months or a year. That way you could see if the reality is as good as you hope, without getting totally committed by buying yet.
I always give the same advice, rent for a while then decide.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:26 pm

This ^^^

Regardless of where you are considering, this is excellent advice.

Topic Author
Elysium

Post by Elysium » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 pm

radiowave wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am
If you are thinking about coming west, CO, AZ, NM, NV may fit your criteria. NM and NV in particular may be of interest from lower cost perspective. Low humidity and if you get some altitude, few bugs.

NV: Reno and south, e.g. Carson City, Gardnersville and possibly Las Vegas environs

Anything north e.g. WY, MT, ID would be too cold/snowy. Pacific NW, e.g. OR and WA will be humid
Thanks. This list sounds interesting. I will do some further research on it.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm always amazed when people consider retirement to places characterized by sprawl development without any meaningful or convenient public transportation. It seems they're assuming that they'll never face any limitations on their ability to drive.

Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:04 am

radiowave wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am

ALL of the Pac NW (including the "wet" side of OR & WA) are less humid than Florida.