How much clothing do you need to get by?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
kjvmartin
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

My substantial weight loss has necessitated that I replace almost my entire wardrobe. No one would have ever called me obese, but my above average height is a good concealer. I've arrived at a good BMI and switched my fitness/app/diet/exercises goals from "lose a bunch of weight" to "maintain weight." My pants are falling off and my belts are out of loops. Everything has to change from XLT to LT shirts and from 36" to 32" pants. Underwear, undershirts, dress shirts, t-shirts, jeans, khakis, all have to be replaced fairly soon. Nothing is valuable enough for alterations. Think Kohl's on sale for my pants. My suits are nice, but they're 8 years old and showing enough wear to warrant replacement. They will be the most expensive to replace.

I think I need enough clothes for the following:

1. Up to 2 days per week of "business professional" meaning a matching suit. Job sometimes requires court and I dress up on Sundays.
2. Up to 5 days per week of "business casual" in a 4 season climate. Khaki, polo, Oxfords.
3. Up to 2 days per week of casual. Jeans and a t-shirt, hoodie, sweater, etc.

In the following order:

1. I am considering getting 2 new suits with alterations. I don't think it's good to wear the same suit twice in a row. I would probably get a white dress shirt and a blue dress shirt along with a navy suit and charcoal or gray suit.

2. For business casual, I think I need 7 pair of various khaki shades, 7 short sleeve shirts, and 7 long sleeve shirts.

3. For casual, looking at finding 2 quality pair of dark denim blue jeans and maybe 4 t-shirts. I also seem to need four new belts. Dress/Casual + Black/Brown. I'll have to get my underwear and undershirts at Costco. Probably 12 of each.

The frugal guy in me, on the other hand, wants to just stop at the grocery store and grab ice cream on my way to cancel my Planet Fitness membership tonight and save a boatload on new clothes. :o We're on a fairly tight budget with a family of 5 with. Our usual clothing allowance per month is about $100 total, so we'll have to use some savings and plan accordingly in other categories if I'm going to get clothes that fit. My current suits were $300 each + alterations. I bought them when I was single! I was wearing one when I met my wife, so I think it was a good investment 8-)

Does that sound like too spartan of a closet?

Texanbybirth
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Sounds good to me. Wranglers are my new favorite jeans. I had Levi's for decades, but these Wranglers are just amazing, even brand new they were great! Got them at Target for $17. I get t-shirts from various charitable events, so I've never bought a t-shirt - probably have about 12 right now. Undershirts and boxers are a personal decision! :o

I like the blue suit and grey suit basic closet. You can rent a black suit for the very rare occasions you need one. I wouldn't buy a black belt, either, till you need it. Hey, at least you don't have to buy new socks!

I'm guessing this will all cost about...$1,200? Dad does seem to go to the back of the clothes shopping line in my family, too, but congratulations on losing all that weight! Your heart (and future self) thank you!

ResearchMed
Posts: 7429
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:31 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm
My substantial weight loss has necessitated that I replace almost my entire wardrobe. No one would have ever called me obese, but my above average height is a good concealer. I've arrived at a good BMI and switched my fitness/app/diet/exercises goals from "lose a bunch of weight" to "maintain weight." My pants are falling off and my belts are out of loops. Everything has to change from XLT to LT shirts and from 36" to 32" pants. Underwear, undershirts, dress shirts, t-shirts, jeans, khakis, all have to be replaced fairly soon. Nothing is valuable enough for alterations. Think Kohl's on sale for my pants. My suits are nice, but they're 8 years old and showing enough wear to warrant replacement. They will be the most expensive to replace.

I think I need enough clothes for the following:

1. Up to 2 days per week of "business professional" meaning a matching suit. Job sometimes requires court and I dress up on Sundays.
2. Up to 5 days per week of "business casual" in a 4 season climate. Khaki, polo, Oxfords.
3. Up to 2 days per week of casual. Jeans and a t-shirt, hoodie, sweater, etc.

In the following order:

1. I am considering getting 2 new suits with alterations. I don't think it's good to wear the same suit twice in a row. I would probably get a white dress shirt and a blue dress shirt along with a navy suit and charcoal or gray suit.

2. For business casual, I think I need 7 pair of various khaki shades, 7 short sleeve shirts, and 7 long sleeve shirts.

3. For casual, looking at finding 2 quality pair of dark denim blue jeans and maybe 4 t-shirts. I also seem to need four new belts. Dress/Casual + Black/Brown. I'll have to get my underwear and undershirts at Costco. Probably 12 of each.

The frugal guy in me, on the other hand, wants to just stop at the grocery store and grab ice cream on my way to cancel my Planet Fitness membership tonight and save a boatload on new clothes. :o We're on a fairly tight budget with a family of 5 with. Our usual clothing allowance per month is about $100 total, so we'll have to use some savings and plan accordingly in other categories if I'm going to get clothes that fit. My current suits were $300 each + alterations. I bought them when I was single! I was wearing one when I met my wife, so I think it was a good investment 8-)

Does that sound like too spartan of a closet?
GOOD NEWS on that weight loss. It's not easy!

You might want to add a pin-stripe shirt to make a "difference" to those two business suits.
Or two, slightly different. These could be some of the "business casual" count you mentioned.

Would you have use for one sport coat, for either business or business casual?

I'm not sure you need to start with 7 pairs of chinos/etc., or 7 of both long and short sleeved shirts.
Get some of those later, and you may decide you don't really need that many, especially with budget concerns.

Also, not sure about the *4* belts, at least not for starters, although these probably aren't budget busters anyway.
DH has one belt; he never needs "brown". Just a black leather belt, with just about anything that needs a belt.
His suits are all blues/charcoal/gray themes, no "brown".
Ditto no need for "brown" shoes for professional use.

Do try to look for sale clothes.
They are the same as before they were discounted when "new" stock arrived at the stores.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7956
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:40 pm

You certainly don't need to buy all this st once. 1 suit and shirt. When you pick up the suit, get another couple shirts. Then wait and add as need and budget allow
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Jablean
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by Jablean » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm

I'd cut your casual pants purchase down to about 4 (you can wear them twice before washing) and limit the long sleeves dress shirts to 2. Throw a casual jacket, not a hoodie, over it and who's to know what length.

Carson
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by Carson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm

I'd strongly suggest going to a thrift store if there is one nearby, or maybe make the drive to a nice suburban/urban area to access one. Take a first pass there and see if you can get some of the staples in your wardrobe.

I do it routinely for myself; DH did it last summer when he needed to get a wardrobe for a 3-day golf weekend - he got some shorts and polos in nearly new condition.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

bloom2708
Posts: 4903
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Carson wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm
I'd strongly suggest going to a thrift store if there is one nearby, or maybe make the drive to a nice suburban/urban area to access one. Take a first pass there and see if you can get some of the staples in your wardrobe.

I do it routinely for myself; DH did it last summer when he needed to get a wardrobe for a 3-day golf weekend - he got some shorts and polos in nearly new condition.
+1 our local thrift stores are overrun with "new" merchandise that was tried on or returned. Dress shirts, dress pants.

At least see what options you have. I assume the area/stores will all be different.

3-4 pairs of kahki's seems fine. I wear them 2x at least and wash clothes 1 or 2 times per week. No need for 7 pairs.

I think you would be surprised how little people pay attention to what you wear. Go slow, add components. Make sure your weight is holding in a range where you aren't crossing sizes. Winter is coming.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:34 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm
1. Up to 2 days per week of "business professional" meaning a matching suit. Job sometimes requires court and I dress up on Sundays.
2. Up to 5 days per week of "business casual" in a 4 season climate. Khaki, polo, Oxfords.
3. Up to 2 days per week of casual. Jeans and a t-shirt, hoodie, sweater, etc.
Is item 3 correct? I have to dress "business casual" every day at work (except Fridays), but as soon as I get home I change from my polo/blouse and jeans to t-shirt and cargo shorts. So I need 7 days of casual. Do you wear your work clothes until you change into pajamas?

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13016
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by Toons » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Retired here.
Shoes,,Crocs,,Merrells
I make a lot of my own Tie Dye T shirts that I wear all the time in warm weather,
Long sleeve cotton "t shirts"
A few short sleeve cotton regular white T-shirts
A couple golf shirts.
2 short sleeve dress shirts ,,blue and white.
A couple pair of dress pants.
A few pair of shorts.
Several Pairs of jeans
Too many socks.
5 clip on bow ties from Amazon(for special occasions)
1 belt

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jeff1949
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Salem, OR

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by jeff1949 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Just enough so I don't get arrested or freeze to death. :sharebeer

lifeisinmirrors
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by lifeisinmirrors » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm

I agree that you should have two suits, navy and charcoal. For business casual all you need are 2 polo shirts (white and navy), 3 long-sleeved oxford cloth button-downs (white, light blue, one other light color), and 2-3 pairs of chinos (grey, tan, navy and olive are good colors). The fact the clothes fit properly is the main thing that makes them look good, because all guys are wearing basically those same garments.

sailaway
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by sailaway » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Will your colleagues actually notice if you wear the same suit with a different tie and shirt? I can still support two suits, because I am prone to getting food and gunk on anything I wear. But it doesn't seem like you need two right now if you have up to two days a week (aka, many weeks only have one day).

You need 5 days of business casual, so you are going to buy 7 pairs of pants? I find it hard to believe that with a family of 5 laundry isn't done at least once a week! Moreover, in most situations, pants can be worn more than once (assuming underwear is worn). My husband and I rarely wear more than 3 pairs of pants a week (each, we are not the same size). We currently own three each of light weight hiking pants (look like trousers, go well with polos, bought at Costco, since you mention that for underwear) that get us through all of our business casual situations. And yet when paired with polos are fine for most casual casual situations, as well.

Do you need separate long sleeve button down shirts for suits and for business casual?

Basically, your list doesn't sound at all spartan, much less too spartan.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 pm

lifeisinmirrors wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm
I agree that you should have two suits, navy and charcoal. For business casual all you need are 2 polo shirts (white and navy), 3 long-sleeved oxford cloth button-downs (white, light blue, one other light color), and 2-3 pairs of chinos (grey, tan, navy and olive are good colors). The fact the clothes fit properly is the main thing that makes them look good, because all guys are wearing basically those same garments.
I'm very uncomfortable swimming in my clothes right now. I don't work in a very fashion conscious industry, but I do think it's best to try at least a little bit.

I do not like to spend money, but this seems necessary. In the summer I will wear a short sleeved polo shirt about 4-5 days a week unless the suit is required for court. I'm not sure 2 polo shirts will cut the mustard. In the winter it's a long-sleeved oxford 4-5 days a week.

kjvmartin
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:31 pm

sailaway wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:26 pm
Will your colleagues actually notice if you wear the same suit with a different tie and shirt? I can still support two suits, because I am prone to getting food and gunk on anything I wear. But it doesn't seem like you need two right now if you have up to two days a week (aka, many weeks only have one day).

You need 5 days of business casual, so you are going to buy 7 pairs of pants? I find it hard to believe that with a family of 5 laundry isn't done at least once a week! Moreover, in most situations, pants can be worn more than once (assuming underwear is worn). My husband and I rarely wear more than 3 pairs of pants a week (each, we are not the same size). We currently own three each of light weight hiking pants (look like trousers, go well with polos, bought at Costco, since you mention that for underwear) that get us through all of our business casual situations. And yet when paired with polos are fine for most casual casual situations, as well.

Do you need separate long sleeve button down shirts for suits and for business casual?

Basically, your list doesn't sound at all spartan, much less too spartan.
Over years of getting gifts and over accumulation of clothes I probably have 20 pairs of pants khakis. My wife finds a Kohl's sale and will bring home 5 pair for $20, things like that. I can usually do a pants only load every 3-4 weeks. I understand this isn't the most economical way to replace my wardrobe, though. I do my own laundry, separate from the wife and kids. She handles the rest of the house. I'm not sure she'd welcome additional clothes to fold. Seven may be too many, you're right. I do have to check Costco next visit, and possibly Costo.com.

lifeisinmirrors
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by lifeisinmirrors » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:50 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 pm
lifeisinmirrors wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm
I agree that you should have two suits, navy and charcoal. For business casual all you need are 2 polo shirts (white and navy), 3 long-sleeved oxford cloth button-downs (white, light blue, one other light color), and 2-3 pairs of chinos (grey, tan, navy and olive are good colors). The fact the clothes fit properly is the main thing that makes them look good, because all guys are wearing basically those same garments.
I'm very uncomfortable swimming in my clothes right now. I don't work in a very fashion conscious industry, but I do think it's best to try at least a little bit.

I do not like to spend money, but this seems necessary. In the summer I will wear a short sleeved polo shirt about 4-5 days a week unless the suit is required for court. I'm not sure 2 polo shirts will cut the mustard. In the winter it's a long-sleeved oxford 4-5 days a week.
Yeah I totally agree, I'm suggesting that you can get by at first with the 9-10 things I suggested in the proper size and will see a huge improvement. Not saying that's the most anyone should own.

User avatar
thecarrotfund
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by thecarrotfund » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Take a quick look at your belts. They may be able to be altered easily.

I'm not in your situation but I wear the same thing every day so that I can dress quickly. Think Steve Jobs black turtleneck. YMMV.
"not all storms are in the forecast"

User avatar
wabbajack
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:05 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by wabbajack » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm
My substantial weight loss has necessitated that I replace almost my entire wardrobe.
(...)
The frugal guy in me, on the other hand
(...)
Congratulations! Don't think of the money you're spending on new clothes. Think of the future health benefits and reduced medical bills!
You sound like you're off to a good start by listing out all the things you might potentially need. I think you have 90% of the work done. My advice would be to worry less about how much you spend, and think more about how often you wear the clothes.

E.g. I have ~10 dress shirts in my closet, but I noticed that I am always going through the same six or seven every day for the office. I have almost never touched the French cuffs because they require effort to pair with in the morning. It's the same way with my casual clothes.

Buy whatever you think you will wear all the time. It is kind of an investment because you will gravitate towards your favorite clothes no matter what they cost initially. You have to want to wear something, or your subconscious will push you into getting more clothes.

Finridge
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by Finridge » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:59 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm
My substantial weight loss has necessitated that I replace almost my entire wardrobe.
Congratulations! That is not an easy thing to do.
kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm
The frugal guy in me, on the other hand, wants to just stop at the grocery store and grab ice cream on my way to cancel my Planet Fitness membership tonight and save a boatload on new clothes. :o
I suspect that you are joking, but don't. Don't even joke about this...

The list you came up with is a good one. If you can't afford it right now, you can get by with a bit less, and then (when you have more funds for this) supplement it with things you buy on sale.

But my advise is that it is a good financial investment to buy the minimum amount of new "slim" clothing you need right now, and then IMMEDIATELY get ALL your old "fat" clothes out of the house. Donate it to your local Goodwill. This will provide a compelling reason for you to keep the weight off.

It's almost inevitable that your weight will start creeping back up. But when you get to the limit of the new "slim" clothing you got, this will be a red line at which you will need to buy new "fat" clothes if you cross it, and will very likely give you the backbone you need to maintain your weight loss.

From the financial perspective, if you regain your weight and stop using your new "slim" clothes, then you can see that as money wasted. Also, I'm not going to talk about the immense social, emotional and health reason benefits of keeping the weight off, but over time the financial benefits are significant. You can expect to realize a higher income and lower medical bills.

https://www.businessinsider.com/save-mo ... ght-2014-1

HereToLearn
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by HereToLearn » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:08 pm

You may want to consider buying dress shoes in this color. Not these shoes, as these are very expensive.

https://www.colehaan.com/washington-gra ... loadmore=1

The younger generation has stopped wearing black dress shoes. They all wear British Tan shoes & matching belts with navy suits. I think black shoes are sometimes worn with gray suits, but the British Tan is also worn.

I loved the suggestion of checking thrift stores for suits & sport jacket. Styles are much more fitted than you are used to, so you may find slightly out of date fits at thrift stores.

I have noticed recently that belts are made so that they can be cut down from the end near the buckle. This is a very recent change, so I will be surprised if any of your older belts can be, but worth a look.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Starfish
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by Starfish » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:42 pm

I assume the working hypothesis is laundry every week.
For me I need for ~9 months a year:
1 pair of jeans
~3-5 polo shirts, shirts, even t-shirts are ok
couple of tshirts and a pair of shorts
7 pair of sock, 7 underwear
1 pair sneakers
For cold season add 3-5 undershirts and a nicer light jacket for work and a sportier one for weekend.

In top of all these I need skiing equipment, hiking, biking, swimming etc

goodlifer
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: How much clothing do you need to get by?

Post by goodlifer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:49 am

A cobbler might be able to shorten your belts, if your belts are worth saving. All the malls near me each have one shoe repair shop, so your mall might have one too. I do the majority of clothes shopping for my husband at the outlet mall. Sign up for their email and you get extra coupons and advance notice of what stores are having sales. They are having their back to school sales, so now might be a good time to go. Places like TJ Max and Marshalls can have good deals, but I hate the atmosphere. It is like shopping at a flea market and you have to rummage through a lot of junk to find something nice. You can also try nextdoor.com, bookoo.com, and FB for people selling new clothes that they just didn't get around to returning. The only problem is that you can't return it if it doesn't fit.

Post Reply