File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Locked
R2D2
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm

File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by R2D2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 am

My friend Adam lent his car to Beth. Beth bumped into a pole and ended putting a deep scratch into one of the doors.

Adam & Beth got an estimate to repair the damage and the body shop said they'd have to repaint the door and it would cost $750.

Adam's insurance deductible is $500.

Should Adam file a claim, get the $250 from the insurance, and Betty pays him $500? Or is filing a claim for this amount a bad idea (since they'll likely raise his rates down the road), in which case Betty should just pay the full $750?

Is that fair to Betty? (To take an extreme case, let's say Betty got into a crash and totaled the car. I think Betty would assume that she's only on the hook for the deductible, right?)

I have no dog in this fight, so please give your honest opinion.

mortfree
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by mortfree » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 am

Beth/Betty (assume typo or you introduced a third person or used a real name by accident) have Insurance?
Last edited by mortfree on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 am

Honest opinion? Take your dog for a walk, and let Adam and Beth work it out among themselves.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7080
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 am
My friend Adam lent his car to Beth. Beth bumped into a pole and ended putting a deep scratch into one of the doors.

Adam & Beth got an estimate to repair the damage and the body shop said they'd have to repaint the door and it would cost $750.

Adam's insurance deductible is $500.

Should Adam file a claim, get the $250 from the insurance, and Betty pays him $500? Or is filing a claim for this amount a bad idea (since they'll likely raise his rates down the road), in which case Betty should just pay the full $750?

Is that fair to Betty? (To take an extreme case, let's say Betty got into a crash and totaled the car. I think Betty would assume that she's only on the hook for the deductible, right?)

I have no dog in this fight, so please give your honest opinion.
I don't think it is at all fair to Betty, because Beth caused the damage!
:D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:44 am

If it's just a scratch don't go to a body shop.

Call a local scratch and dent repair company. They will come to your house and fix it in two hours for half the cost.

Also, if I lent a car to someone I would expect it back in the condition I lent it. Any damages would be the responsibility of the borrower

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 13845
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by Watty » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:44 am

Everytime I have had a fender bender repaired they have found additional work once they started the work so you need to watch out for that.
R2D2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:35 am
To take an extreme case, let's say Betty got into a crash and totaled the car. I think Betty would assume that she's only on the hook for the deductible, right?
Not always, the insurance company could try to recover the cost of the car from Betty in some situations.

student
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by student » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:45 am

Filing a claim may have negative effect on Adam's future insurance rate. I think Beth should offer to pay for the entire $750. As to whether this is fair to Beth, she borrowed the car for free, I assume, so yes, it is fair. If I were Adam, I would accept $500 if Beth insists that she only owes $500 but I would not consider her as a friend anymore.

chevca
Posts: 1874
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by chevca » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:51 am

Is Beth/Betty on his insurance? There could be more bad things to come from reporting to insurance that someone else was driving my car and put a scratch in it...

Beth/Betty pays for the repair, everyone moves on with life, and Adam decides if he ever wants to borrow his car to someone again. :happy

goblue100
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 am

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by goblue100 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:59 am

Filing the claim is likely to cost Adam more than $250 over the next two or three years in increased premiums, so I would never file a claim for such a small amount. Beth is definitely on the hook for $500, IMHO. The remaining $250 is a little more problematic, for me. Since Adam could make the choice to file a claim and not pay the $250, I think he might be on the hook for it. I guess it depends on how good of friends they are, how much each values the friendship, and who has the most means. If Beth was a guy I guess I would expect her to cover the whole amount as the cost of being careless, so to avoid being misogynistic I guess Beth should really pay the whole amount.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

R2D2
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by R2D2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am

OP here.

Yes, Beth and Betty are the same person. I should've decided if I should use her nickname and stuck to it. :) (That led to some funny replies though.)

Thanks for all the responses. I will suggest calling a scratch and dent company. (Is that what you would google? "Scratch and dent company"?)

So as for my hypothetical: If Beth had totaled the car, what would happen? Would Beth's insurance cover it? Adam's insurance? If it's the latter, would Adam's rates go up?

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4023
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am
So as for my hypothetical: If Beth had totaled the car, what would happen? Would Beth's insurance cover it? Adam's insurance? If it's the latter, would Adam's rates go up?
1. Insurance usually follows the car.
2. Maybe ultimately.
3. Yes, Adam's insurance is the first line.
4. Maybe.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

chevca
Posts: 1874
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by chevca » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:13 am

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am
So as for my hypothetical: If Beth had totaled the car, what would happen? Would Beth's insurance cover it? Adam's insurance? If it's the latter, would Adam's rates go up?
I don't know, but I don't think it would be good for Adam either way. I would guess we all do or would do it to borrow a vehicle to friend or family. But, it's probably unwise to do so in the eyes of insurance companies. There's a reason they want to know all drivers to insure for a given vehicle.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:31 am

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am
OP here.

Yes, Beth and Betty are the same person. I should've decided if I should use her nickname and stuck to it. :) (That led to some funny replies though.)

Thanks for all the responses. I will suggest calling a scratch and dent company. (Is that what you would google? "Scratch and dent company"?)
Yes, just Google car dent repair and you should see relevant ads.

I just went through the fender scratch process on my 2010 Acura. Body shops wanted $900 to $1100.

I used a company called scratch and mix which had great reviews on Yelp. They charged $360 and did a great job.

My buddy used a company called dent time on his Mercedes. Apparently that guy makes $30k/month and even teaches people from Asia how to do dent and paint repair. :shock:

bob60014
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by bob60014 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 am

Beth/Betty had the accident. Being resposible, Beth/Betty pays the $750 to Adam , car gets fixed, case over. I haven't had my morning coffee yet, but why is this complicated? :D

R2D2
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by R2D2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 am

bob60014 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 am
Beth/Betty had the accident. Being resposible, Beth/Betty pays the $750 to Adam , car gets fixed, case over. I haven't had my morning coffee yet, but why is this complicated? :D
Would you give the same answer if B caused $5000 worth of damage? Wouldn't B expect A to submit it to A's insurance?

student
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by student » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:21 am

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 am
bob60014 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 am
Beth/Betty had the accident. Being resposible, Beth/Betty pays the $750 to Adam , car gets fixed, case over. I haven't had my morning coffee yet, but why is this complicated? :D
Would you give the same answer if B caused $5000 worth of damage? Wouldn't B expect A to submit it to A's insurance?
My answer would be the same. B covers it. A lent the car to B and he/she should not be penalized for the possible hike of the insurance rate. If B cannot or unwilling to cover it, then A submits it to his/her insurance, takes the possible increase of premium and possibly ends the friendship.
Last edited by student on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

researcher
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by researcher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:32 am

R2D2 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 am
Would you give the same answer if B caused $5000 worth of damage? Wouldn't B expect A to submit it to A's insurance?
Why throw in irrelevant hypotheticals? This is all that matters...
$750 repair
$500 deductible.

You would be crazy to submit such a claim to the insurance.
The $250 is a trivial amount considering the likelihood of increased insurance premiums.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 47489
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: File a claim for $750 worth of car damage?

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:32 pm

I removed an off-topic comment. This thread has run its course and is locked (situation resolved, getting contentious). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Locked