Sellers beware on eBay.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kjvmartin

Sellers beware on eBay.

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:48 pm

We've been cleaning out our living space to make room for a new baby. Part of that has been listing and selling books and other small trinkets on eBay. I'm rather new to selling, but was very impressed with the ease of snapping a cell phone pic and listing with the iOS app. In addition to other items, I sold five books to different buyers for $1.00 each. The shipping for each book was ~$4 for media mail and I made about $4 total profit after all of the fees. Obviously this is chump change, but I had no idea how easily abused a seller could be and would be very wary of selling anything of value on ebay ever.

One of the buyers filed a claim of "not as described" for a used $0.99 medical text book. The product description was "4th edition" and he requested a refund because he wanted the 5th edition. The product description was clear. It was his error, he bought the wrong item. I offered him to keep the item and would refund him the $0.99. He escalated everything through ebay and they have, somehow, sided with him through the process. They have also frozen my PayPal funds. Here's what happens when eBay determines you have listed an item "not as described." I submitted my own counterclaims that he abused the buyer protection policy, but after each review they have denied it each time.

#1. You are billed for a return shipping label. $4.00

#2. You have to return all of the funds to the buyer upon receipt of the return item. $5.00

So, I have essentially given away five books. At this point they know it would be easiest for me to let him keep the item with a full refund $5. Why would I pay for a $4 shipping label to get a $0.99 item back? If I do not consent to this return within a set amount of time, they will automatically deduct the funds.

Again, this is chump change, but I can't imagine ever selling a $400 iPhone on eBay.

bob60014

Re: Sellers beware on eBay.

Post by bob60014 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:03 pm

With Ebay, the buyer is always right, the seller has no recourse even though the buyer is abusing the process. It's the reason I have stopped selling on ebay.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Have you tried escalating this through eBay by demanding to talk to a manager?

I am surprised that you would exert effort to make $1 profit.
Is it even $1 profit? Paypal takes 10% on final value, so you are left with 90 cents.

Oh, the buyer has 6 months to get a refund!
It is absolutely ridiculous!

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:12 pm

This was some time ago but I sold a computer on eBay and accepted a return but it came back in significantly worse condition. Ebay gave me the full amount i had originally sold for.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:15 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:03 pm
With Ebay, the buyer is always right, the seller has no recourse even though the buyer is abusing the process. It's the reason I have stopped selling on ebay.
Yes, and no. This case (and others) is clearly ridiculous in its weighting against small time sellers in favor of buyers. However, I suspect eBay is trying to protect its reputation and stay in business ahead of the competition. There really is no competition. I am not sure of the distribution of buyers versus sellers on the platform, but eBay has a lot more to lose if a first time buyer buys an item which arrives damaged or "not as advertised." I think in the case of a several hundred dollar item, this would not go in favor of the buyer.

I have been on the other side of this issue, however. I just purchased a big ticket item on eBay and one piece of the item arrived damaged. The box was clearly intact with no sign no punctures or mishandling otherwise we would have refused delivery. The seller approached my request to replace just the piece (as opposed to the entire item) without any second guessing. My thought is that sellers do genuinely respect eBay and know that if the system benefits buyers they will have less of a reason to screw the buyer. Of course this system also requires a "moral actor" on the side of the buyer.

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth...

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:17 pm

There is a new app called OfferUp.

It has started offering shipping.
OfferUp started out with letting people sell things in-person just like on Craigslist.

Guess what?
Same manure as buyer abuse showing up there as well.

Oh, there is a recent incident on OfferUp where the person purchased an item in person.
A day later he wanted a refund because the seller had used a photo of a different model of the same item.
The seller had met the buyer in person and demonstrated the item.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:20 pm

TheDDC wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:15 pm
There really is no competition.
eBay is trying to stay ahead of Amazon.
That is the competition!

eBay doesn't care about the small time seller who can't take a hit like in this case.

eBay has BestBuy , Newegg, and other big time merchants now using it to sell goods.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 pm

It is really bad. You can even give them a bad rating and eBay will erase it if they dispute it. I sell most things on craigslist or Amazon now (they protect proven sellers and buyers).

T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Common sense out the window

Thanks for the warning, Confirms what I had heard that essentially the Buyer wins for Ebay - Aside form your story I have heard of people claiming they received a empty box :shock:

*Buyer, originally typed Seller - Brain thought one thing, hand wrote another :o
Last edited by T4REngineer on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:38 pm

We only sell items in person with cash advertised on Craigslist and FB. I would never sell on Fleabay.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm

You are selling as a retailer to random people. It happens. I sell quite a bit on eBay and have had a few issues, but overall, not too bad.

Can you imagine the crap people bring back to Walmart?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm

T4REngineer wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm
I had heard that essentially the Seller wins for Ebay
Completely incorrect. Buyer wins.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 pm
You can even give them a bad rating and eBay will erase it if they dispute it.
Actually, not true. As a seller, you can leave feedback for a buyer as follows:
1) Positive

There are no options for even a neutral. Comments within a positive feedback don't do anything either.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:38 pm

When we moved a few years ago, I emptied our garage and closets and sold about 50-70 items on eBay. Had never done this before, in fact hadn’t even bought stuff from eBay.

Anyway, lots of old computer parts and other gadgets. I think I made about $1500. Not a lot considering what I paid for the stuff in the past, but enough to make it worth my while. As a new seller, I had zero returns/complaints. I think I had one buyer not pay, but I just put the listing up again and sold to someone else. But since then I have read many threads like this one and apparently have been very fortunate with my seller experience.

I donated all my old books to my local library (though they won’t take text books).

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Etsy has a surprising amount of things that one would not expect, given its craft-oriented reputation. I don't know how they treat sellers.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:55 pm

I have apparently been lucky selling on eBay. No issues so far, but only one high value item.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:55 pm
I have apparently been lucky selling on eBay. No issues so far, but only one high value item.
I have been lucky too.

Horror stories on the eBay forums from both sellers and buyers.
Scammers on both sides.

Every conceivable way of cheating others has been done!

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:01 pm

eBay has been this way for a long time. 20 years ago it was a great platform to make a few bucks selling used stuff. But at that time the selling fees where pennies and the rating system worked both ways.

Back then there was no amazon, no PayPal, no guarantees, and it was all amateurs.

That all changed when they changed their business model from an auction house to be just another online store like amazon. All the changes are intended to make buyers feel like they a shopping from a regular retailer with all the protections (return policy, money back guarantee, etc) and as you discovered make it impossible for small time amateur sellers.

T4REngineer

Post by T4REngineer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:46 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm
T4REngineer wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm
I had heard that essentially the Seller wins for Ebay
Completely incorrect. Buyer wins.
Blah, Thanks I had that backwards

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 pm

I was in a similar situation as you OP... had an old study book for sale on Amazon that was competitively priced at like $1.50. It was sold, and then when I saw how much I would have received for the "sale", I realized I would be in the red on the transaction and paying the person to take the item. The Amazon cut for the product (no problem here) and the shipping (not sure why Amazon was taking a cut on the buyer's shipping fee) came out to 50 cents less than the cheapest I could get the media mail sent for. I refunded the transaction and apologized to the buyer.

The funny thing is that I have bought similarly priced books from Amazon from larger, volume dealers, and I usually get the item. I'm not sure if they're breaking even on these transactions unless Amazon gives them a preferential rate.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:18 pm

My solution has been to have a garage sale or just donate items. Ebay worked well when it was new, but I wouldn’t use it now.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 pm

I've been selling on and off (and buying a few things) on eBay for about 20 years. I have over 40 auctions running right now and my feedback rating is around 600. I've never experienced any significant problems. Maybe I'm lucky. Once a buyer said he did not receive the item so I just issued a refund. I had originally mailed it without tracking. I've heard that some eBay users have two PayPal accounts - one for selling and one for buying. That way your buying account will not be locked down and won't receive negative reviews for things you've sold.

One troubling thing did happen to me as a buyer. Last month while I was in my barn making a mouse trap out of a bucket and a dow, I googled mouse traps on my phone to see how they were made because people have posted instructions on youtube etc. While reading the instructions I also noticed mousetraps and parts that could be bid on on eBay. Soon I received an email thanking be for buying a mouse trap roller on eBay! I didn't buy it or bid on it, or if I did, I don't know how it happened. Maybe it's possible to bid with one screen tap. Anyway I immediately went to my computer and notified the seller that I wanted to cancel the bid. That is permissible per eBay rules. I did that 40 minutes after "winning". Then about 12 hours later I received a reply (from China) that the item had already been shipped and I could not cancel the order. The total amount was less than $9.00 but what if it had been $90 or $900? I don 't get it.
Last edited by Cheyenne on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rongos

Post by rongos » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm

With eBay you have to be short and blunt when defending your sale from a predatory buyer. In OP's case, should say "Buyer admits he read description wrong, bought my item by mistake."

It's the day and age of the text message style of communicating. Elegant correspondence is inefficient and useless.
Last edited by rongos on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm

rongos wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm
With eBay you have to be short and blunt when defending your sale from a predatory buyer. In OP's case, should say "Buyer admits he read description wrong, bought my item by mistake."

It's the day and age of the text message style of communicating. Elegant correspondence is inefficient and useless.
That's exactly what I put in my complaint, almost word for word. I said the item was as described, buyer did not read description before ordering.

About an hour later I received:

The buyer will return the item
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for trying to work with the buyer. Unfortunately, it looks like the issue wasn't resolved. We reviewed this case and decided to ask the buyer to return the item to you using an eBay-provided shipping label. If they use the label, the cost will be added to your next invoice.

rongos

Post by rongos » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:41 pm

That's exactly what I put in my complaint, almost word for word.
I'm sorry to hear of your bad luck. I had a similar case on eBay and sent buyer a return label, so I offered to let buyer keep the item at a discount and he accepted.

since eBay seems to want to allow buyers to return mistake purchases at sellers expense, if I find myself in your predicament, I will say "BUYER ADMITS NOT READING DESCRIPTION OF ITEM, SALE SHOULD BE FINAL AND NOT RETURNED." I doubt eBay will side with me, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Well, eBay has evolved, and there were certainly times in the early days when the buyer got ripped off. At least you got burned on a small ticket item. Good info, thanks.

eBay was a big eye-opener to me in terms of the unbelievable mark-up that exists on some items that you'd normally buy in the store. If you can go straight from the warehouse to the customer's residence, you can cut out significant overhead costs. I used to think it was all about sellers fencing stolen goods.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 pm

eBay has always been evil and always sides with scammers. Why is this news?
Paypal is also evil.
Google has become evil.

I sold a couple more things on Craigslist (among many thousands of things over the years) and have never been killed at all.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:58 pm

I've heard similar stories from friends of mine who no longer sell on Ebay. Buyers on Ebay are ruthless/corrupt/dishonest.
Donate your items. It's not worth the time/trouble for a few dollars.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
1) Positive

There are no options for even a neutral. Comments within a positive feedback don't do anything either.
That is correct. However, there is an alternative box to check, "report buyer." If there is a real problem, you can use that instead of negative feedback (which is impossible). I have no experience with it, but it is there when I leave feedback for a buyer.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:58 pm
I've heard similar stories from friends of mine who no longer sell on Ebay. Buyers on Ebay are ruthless/corrupt/dishonest.
Donate your items. It's not worth the time/trouble for a few dollars.
It was fairly convenient to wrap the books in reused amazon envelopes and drop them in the mail. More or less a hobby to help my wife clean out some storage. 99% of our stuff did not sell.

This was my last time selling there. I might explore being a buyer, though. :P

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:46 pm

I have had bad experiences with EBay because of ( in my case) Chinese sellers running total scams. Ebay helped with refund but each time it took months. Guitars, headphones, phones etc. I think Ebay makes huge $$$ from these China scammmers and they really don't care. Done with Ebay.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:48 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:
1) Positive

AND if you add a negative comment to a positive feedback, ebay may pull your selling privileges. I am an eBay power seller. I have been for years. It's their court, you are just playing in it.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:49 pm

RudyS wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:
1) Positive

That is correct. However, there is an alternative box to check, "report buyer." If there is a real problem, you can use that instead of negative feedback (which is impossible). I have no experience with it, but it is there when I leave feedback for a buyer.
That does nothing. Sort of like the "close door" buttons in the elevator and thermostats in the office :)

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:48 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:
1) Positive

AND if you add a negative comment to a positive feedback, ebay may pull your selling privileges. I am an eBay power seller. I have been for years. It's their court, you are just playing in it.
Yep, completely agree. I have no problem with it and have been selling for nearly 15 years. The opportunity for buyers (audience, reach, etc) makes it easier to deal with the rules laid out by eBay. Hard to find alternatives.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:51 pm

socaldude wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:46 pm
I have had bad experiences with EBay because of ( in my case) Chinese sellers running total scams. Ebay helped with refund but each time it took months. Guitars, headphones, phones etc. I think Ebay makes huge $$$ from these China scammmers and they really don't care. Done with Ebay.
That is your problem, buying cheap Chinese knockoff crap - especially when shipped from China!

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am

Stopped using Ebay years ago after someone bought a $40,000 muscle car with my account. No idea how it happened, but I was already on my way out the door after they started increasing fees.

I've poked around on there a few times lately and it seems like a complete mess.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 am

Another vote that eBay ain't what it was. Seems like mostly trolls now. I have sold a few thousand dollars of misc. stuff and it used to be kind of fun -- now it's a chore. There are some things that I still would sell there, but I have to be much more pro-active about canceling bids from ineligible buyers, etc. I pre-specify that I will not accept bids from accounts with certain characteristics.
Last edited by daveydoo on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 am

runner3081 wrote:
Alexa9 wrote:
1) Positive

Ahh, I see. They used to have this feature. I think I stopped selling on eBay for the most part when they ended it. Probably around 2008.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:01 pm

I am honestly surprised you are going through all this work for so little money. That said as others have noted the buyer is always right on Ebay (pretty much Amazon too for that matter). You just need to build the cost into what you sell. I have pretty much quit selling on Ebay due to time constraints and having less to clear out honestly but in over a decade on there I don't think I ever had a major problem as a seller. My old rule was if it was going to sell for less than $25 I would donate it. More than $25 I'd try Ebay (this rule was a bit fuzzy depending on how much hassle it was to ship the item).

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:09 pm

If you itemize your taxes, garage sales and ebay are a waste of time for low dollar items. Donate and deduct. A few boxes of clothes and other items can easily add up to a $500 deduction.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:09 pm
If you itemize your taxes, garage sales and ebay are a waste of time for low dollar items. Donate and deduct. A few boxes of clothes and other items can easily add up to a $500 deduction.
I suspect for very many Bogelheads the increase in standard deductions will make charitable deductions a thing of the past.

More on topic, I occasionally still sell items on eBay, more frequently buy, and I guess I've been extremely luck since I've never had an issue.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:24 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:18 pm
My solution has been to have a garage sale or just donate items.
+1

Garage sales are much less work, much more profit and you don't have to deal with returns or even lines at the post office. Once they hand over the cash, I don't care what they say or do with the item in question. Anything that doesn't sell, or I can't give away in the final hours of the sale, get thrown away or donated.

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Why even go through the effort to list, package and ship a book for $1? Donate it or throw it away. Huge waste of time.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:58 am

bob60014 wrote:
This pretty much sums it up. :annoyed

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am

Yeah, pretty much my experience for the one time selling anything of value on eBay. Sold a nice musical instrument and received a highly rated buyer as high bidder. I clearly stated using UPS for shipping, both for cost and tracking purposes. The first complaint from the buyer was he wanted USPS which was double cost at same speed/insurance level, no reasoning and didn’t complain until I sent tracking number. Next issue was that the damage I clearly mentioned and gave closeup picture was misrepresented, even had ruler in picture showing 3-4mm dent. Then he complained the inside showed signs of corrosion whe he boroscoped it and I did not mention the corrosion. I told him I would sent a return postage label and refund his total amount he paid me. In the end he agreed to a discount of x%, around 10%, which I was fine with just to settle.

Then came the negative review about misrepresentation, lack of communication, and that only reason he kept the item is because his student wanted it. I just donated some other musical instruments to a school after that experience.

Also tried to give away some feeding tube food that was leftover when my MiL passed away. Knowing it was expensive and we paid out of pocket, figured I would try to put on eBay just for the person to cover the shipping cost, which wasn’t cheap,given weight, but still cheaper than ordering elsewhere by 50% with free shipping. I had many inquiries complaining about the expensive shipping and essentially wanting me to give away with free shipping.

Now I just donate locally and only purchase from eBay.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 am

I haven't had any negative experiences selling items on eBay since 1999.

That being said, I use my best judgement on whether or not to sell low dollar items.
Usually not worth the time/hassle.

I don't donate anything, so it usually goes into the trash or recycling bin.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:51 am

bob60014 wrote:
Sadly well said. My general rule is to sell stuff and if there is any issue from buyer I just refund the money and move on. Luckily it's rare.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 pm

That is a lot of trouble and aggravation to make a couple of dollars. I donate things, give them to friends/family that can use them or throw them out (if the first 2 options aren't viable). eBay is not worth the hassle to me unless it is something worth over $100. I used to sell used electronics and things for $50 and by the time I put the time into the listing, paid the fees, went to ship it, etc. I decided it just wasn't worth it.

jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay. It's been worth it for me but my rule of thumb is I don't sell anything that is worth less than it costs to ship, for the very reason of not wanting to run into situations where I lose more than the item was worth from return shipping charges.

texascat1

Post by texascat1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:10 pm

You are selling items that cost too little.

Paypal charges 0.30 plus 2.9 percent
Ebay charges 10 percent
That 13 percent is charged on the shipping and the price. I have not done media mail for a while but first class mails cheapest price is 2.66. My break even for fees is about $3.41. And that doesn’t factor in time or packaging supplies. I sell nothing for less than $9.99 shipping included and I am selling sterling and gold jewelry.

There are some scammers but you have to know how to work the ebay phone tree to fix these problems. I am not sure from your post if you emailed or called ebay to fix it.

It would probably take me 30 minutes on the phone to get rid of your issue if the phone call happened before the return shipping label was issued. Since they have already charged the label they will probably not want to listen at this point. And honestly its not worth the time to deal with that for that much money. I have done it before for a pile of broken jewelry that I listed as part sterling part costume very broken and they tried to get a full refund since it was not all sterling and was broken. I only communicate with buyers through ebay messages and only communicate with ebay by phone.

As far as ebay versus etsy ebay has much more traffic than etsy but my etsy store can sell items at a higher price. They just need to be vintage or crafty. I have not had an etsy return yet but I expect about 5 percent stupid returns on ebay and sell around 500 pieces a year.