Composite Decking Material

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Prudence

Composite Decking Material

Post by Prudence »

We have a 30 year old deck constructed with pressure treated wood. We are thinking of replacing the deck floor, steps and railings with a composite (keeping the existing infrastructure and footings). The contractor gave me a quote using the Azek gray brand of composite. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?
Geneyus

Re: Composite Decking Material

Post by Geneyus »

If it's anything like the composite boards I regularly see at Lowe's, they cost much more than pressure-treated wood. If your old deck lasted 30 years with pressure-treated wood, why not save some money and use it again?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Geneyus wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 pm If it's anything like the composite boards I regularly see at Lowe's, they cost much more than pressure-treated wood. If your old deck lasted 30 years with pressure-treated wood, why not save some money and use it again?
Because it needs no sealing or staining EVER.

My 13 year old deck has rotted railing parts. Floor is composite, which is faded (newer composite is better) but fine. I would use composite in the future.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:33 pm
Geneyus wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 pm If it's anything like the composite boards I regularly see at Lowe's, they cost much more than pressure-treated wood. If your old deck lasted 30 years with pressure-treated wood, why not save some money and use it again?
Because it needs no sealing or staining EVER.

My 13 year old deck has rotted railing parts. Floor is composite, which is faded (newer composite is better) but fine. I would use composite in the future.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure I trust any company that says their product won't fade in the sun over 30 years. The only difference is, you can't stain it. I guess you could paint it, just like wood.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

I used Lowe’s ChoiceDeck composite about 10 years ago and had great results. Be aware that joist spacing is 16 inches max. The posts must be boxed inside the rim joist and then the ChoiceDeck cover slides over the post. This is important to know because you will lose about 6” of dimension on each end of deck with railing. You may need to add width to a stairway to account for the width of the joist plus the 4x4 post and cover inside the stair stringers.

The deck has been maintenance free which was our goal. The spacing between deck boards must be maintained per manufacturer instructions to avoid mold.
afan

Post by afan »

I have not used any composite decking. Have had pressure treated pine last for very long times, with essentially no maintenance.

There have been lots of complaints about various composite decking materials not coming close to living up to their promises. Fading, cracking, mold...

Do your homework on the product you are considering.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
David S

Post by David S »

Alternate idea:
We just went through this thought process with an addition to the house we will move into for retirement. It included a 520 sf deck, part of which is a screened gazebo.
We’ve lived with pressure-treated pine decks for over thirty years and we didn’t want to continue to put up with deck boards that are warped, checked, sometimes rotten, and in constant need of staining.
We took a close look at all of the composites available, both from the big box suppliers and the local lumber yards – AZAK, Fiberon, TimberTech, Veranda, TREX, just to name a few. Most of these companies have both an entry level product and at least one upgraded product. If want it to come close to looking like real wood, you’ll need to select the upgraded product. All of them will provide a solid, low-maintenance (you gotta clean it occasionally) deck. And all of them are expensive. Expect to pay 3-4 times that of pressure treated pine in material costs.
Here’s the alternate. We had just about decided on one of the TREX upgraded products when our contractor brought us some samples and pricing for IPE. IPE is a very hard, dense Brazilian hardwood with a mahogany look to it. And there are several species of it, with varying colors and graining. The shocker was that this was available from a local supplier here in Atlanta for less than any of the composites we had looked at.
We chose a species called Tigerwood because of its lively grain and varying color and couldn’t be happier with it. Maintenance? Because of the denseness of IPE it won’t shrink or warp. To maintain the color, it needs to be oiled once a year. Otherwise yo can let it patina out to a nice warm grey, like cedar. I will gladly oil it annually to walk on such a good looking deck versus plastic sticks.
If this product is available locally, I would give it a look.
Topic Author
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Thank you for the tip, I will check it out. Meanwhile, I did a little research on reviews and evaluations of different composite brands and found mostly conflicting information which did not help in making a decision. If we go with the composite, we will probably opt for the better or best price point rather than the ok/good. What made you select TREX before you changed to the Brazilian?
g2morrow

Post by g2morrow »

David S wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm .....Here’s the alternate. We had just about decided on one of the TREX upgraded products when our contractor brought us some samples and pricing for IPE. IPE is a very hard, dense Brazilian hardwood with a mahogany look to it. And there are several species of it, with varying colors and graining. The shocker was that this was available from a local supplier here in Atlanta for less than any of the composites we had looked at.
We chose a species called Tigerwood because of its lively grain and varying color and couldn’t be happier with it. Maintenance? Because of the denseness of IPE it won’t shrink or warp. To maintain the color, it needs to be oiled once a year. Otherwise yo can let it patina out to a nice warm grey, like cedar. I will gladly oil it annually to walk on such a good looking deck versus plastic sticks.
If this product is available locally, I would give it a look.
+1 I've had my IPE deck for going on 16 years (no warping, no twisting, no splinters) - still looks beautiful. I let it grey naturally.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

OP....check out this link for NewTechWood.......it's a composite material and is great looking. I ordered samples a few weeks ago and they look fabulous. Samples can be ordered directly from the company at no charge......and free shipping!

http://www.newtechwood.com/us/deck-tile ... tml#colors

I have a cement pad at an outside entrance. The surface of the cement is pitted and ugly and my plan is to install the Ultrashield Deck Tiles over this surface.

In addition, I also have a deck made of treated wood that is nearly the 30 years old; it's in great shape but requires lots of labor every three years to keep it that way. The next time my deck needs it's 3 year TLC make over, I may put this stuff over the top and be done with it.

Good luck!;
Topic Author
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Was your IPE wood joined with nails or screws?
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Prudence wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:38 pm We have a 30 year old deck constructed with pressure treated wood. We are thinking of replacing the deck floor, steps and railings with a composite (keeping the existing infrastructure and footings). The contractor gave me a quote using the Azek gray brand of composite. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?
My deck is Azek. It's great. It's not really a composite. It's more of a PVC, so it doesn't have the same molding problems that some people have with the Trex brand.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I have the older Trex material....maybe 10+ years ago. It was susceptible to mold and still darkens during the winter months. In the Spring, I'll use composite deck cleaner or my wife uses a bleach/water solution and sprays it down. It looks as good as new after that.

I just installed the same old Trex on an AirBnB I own. They were left over deck boards I had.

One thing to mention is there is a growing number of deck builders who are using joist flashing tape. The flashing goes on the joists before you put the deck boards down. This is supposed to help preserve the joists. Not many local guys do this here, but I bought 2 rolls on Amazon and had my deck builder apply it. It was pretty painless and cost about $50.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

My parents have composite boards for their two story massive deck. It is a tremendous improvement over the original wooden deck which required yearly maintenance (and monthly HOA notices). I believe they have had it for about 10 years now, no maintenance required and it still looks 90% new.
donall

Post by donall »

IPE is often used in commercial construction. Some contractors do not like to use the composite materials.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I had my small wooden deck replaced with a composite decking material from Lowe's (not sure if it was Trex or Choice). The guy who installed it apparently placed the boards too close together. There was no gap for the rain to drain off and, given Oregon's weather and shade trees, I soon had a mold/mildew problem. The manufacturer, which was getting lots of complaints, sent someone out to do a thorough cleaning and instruct me on ongoing maintenance of this maintenance-free product. (Had to go out and buy Olympic deck cleaner and a sprayer.)

So correct installation and exposure (sun/shade) are also important considerations along with choice of product,

I have since had the deck removed and my little back yard is now 2/3 patio, hard-scaped with stone pavers. Love it!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Prudence wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:38 pm We have a 30 year old deck constructed with pressure treated wood. We are thinking of replacing the deck floor, steps and railings with a composite (keeping the existing infrastructure and footings). The contractor gave me a quote using the Azek gray brand of composite. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?
I just did this a few months ago. My old deck was 25 years old. They rebuilt part of the frame where needed and replaced the top boards with Veranda ArmorGuard Composite Decking. I picked a dark brown and the color is really nice. I have seen other composites with the grey color and they don't seem to age well and even when new don't look as good as the dark brown. So far, I am 100% happy with my choice. No need for staining for the life of the deck. All you have to do once a year is clean with soap and water and a regular hose.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
J295

Post by J295 »

We just replaced a wood deck with a composite – – timbertech.
Also put in a stainless steel railing system, which looks beautiful and is rather pricey. Less expensive options are available, but for a lot of reasons it was the right choice for us. The railing was custom-made through a fabricator.

We had a composite deck at our prior home, and I am all in for composite. Worth every penny to have consistent and long-term attractive decking without the hassles of treating and maintaining a wood product. Especially true in our harsh and highly variable climate.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Same as the OP I have a 30 year old pressure treated wood deck. Perhaps you have a similar climate and exposure to sun. After cleaning and some scraping I paint all horizontal parts with Behr solid stain every 3 years, in between do a few touch ups, none this year. My deck is about 10x30 ft, and I am over 70 yrs old. No problem, will continue.
cody69

Post by cody69 »

I put Azek decking down on a deck I built around 8 years ago. I like it and have no regrets at all.

A few points I would mention...
- Azek is not as stiff as wood, and to avoid flexing I wish I would have spaced the joists 12" on center vs 18". No one notices but me, but it kind of bugs me.
- I had some grease spills that stained the decking and were noticeable. Speaking with Azek (which was not as easy as it should have been), they recommended some products that completely addressed the stains.
- After 6 years of hot sun the color lightened a bit and I put a re-vitalizer product (recommended by Azek) down that restored the color to original.

I like this product. Very easy to maintain, I scrub it down each spring and that's about it. It does not get hot to walk on bare foot. I used hidden fasteners and it looks great.

Good luck.
David S

Post by David S »

Prudence:
TREX was the first manufacturer to offer a composite product over 20 years ago and they have continually improved it over the years. Knowing that and having compared product information for the various brands, I’m confident their product is as good as any and better than some of the others we considered.
So, for us, it came down to which product looked and felt the most like real wood in a color we liked. We ordered samples in several colors of each product line we were considering. We like to touch it, feel it, walk on it, and of course, compare the products side by side.
Their “Premium Tropicals” line uses both a wood grain texture on the surface of the board, as well as varying color to get pretty close to a true wood look. We didn’t find any product that came this close.
Hope this helps.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Approx 13 years ago we replaced less than 10 year old wood deck with trex composite. The wood deck was starting to splinter.

Structurally the composite has held up fairly well. However it is prone to mold leapord spotting, and at this point some of it will not easily come out, even with a pressure water at levels much higher than recommended. Perhaps some of the newer ones are better, but Google trex and mold and you find a lot of dissatisfied customers.

https://www.bobvila.com/posts/49587-tre ... lem?page=1
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

We used Azek at our previous house, and were very happy with it.

Pros:

Easy to cut, screw, attach.
Stable in direct sunlight.
No splinters, no mold.
No required maintenance other than occasional spray down.

Cons:

Expensive
Heavy - more expensive shipping
Limited color choice

We plan to use it again at the "new" house.
Silver Bullet

Post by Silver Bullet »

I’ll jump on the Azek bandwagon. We built a vacation home 4 years ago and used Azek on all exterior porches/decks. Saltwater environment hasn’t had any affect on the original look/finish.

After such great results, we redid our 25 year old deck at the main residence. About 2,500 sf of wood removed and replaced with a mid-grade Azek. As mentioned above, we added additional flooring supports reduce the “sag” on standard joists.
Yes, it was expensive. Yes, I’d definitely do it again. Nice to have the grandkids play on the deck when grilling/eating out without fear of splinters! I think I pulled dozens out of kids bare feet over the last decade! 🙄
hudson

I'm also getting ready to install a composite deck

Post by hudson »

I'm getting ready to install an 8x16 composite deck; this discussion is helpful.
I've had a 16x32 pressure treated deck for over 40 years; I'm done with the every two year cycle of cleaning and staining. Every year, I need to remove mildew...that's not a big deal. A bucket of soap and bleach + water+ a deck brush+ one hour...and I'm done. I had to replace a couple of boards every year. As long as I did the maintenance, the deck was great.

I worry about the black mold on composite boards. I've never seen it on any composite decks; but I've never asked. I need to do more research. I want a new deck that will go for 10 years without any fuss. I don't have any problem with removing green mildew; that's easy. The black mildew seems more invasive...but I'm out of my field.

Here's a Boglehead/Google search: composite decking site:bogleheads.org

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... 66089025b0
Marshview28

Post by Marshview28 »

I used the Trex brand gray that has wood grain look. I built my house 2 years ago and my deck and stairs look great. I love it
hudson

Post by hudson »

Mold shows up 9 times in this discussion.
According to a manufacturer's website (Fiberon), mold can grow on almost any surface. Pressure washing is not recommended. Capped composites are recommended.

https://www.fiberondecking.com/blog/how ... -on-decks/
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

Beware location-specific opinions that may not apply to you. Considerations in AZ (baking sun) or WA/OR (lots of rain) may dictate very different optimal solutions. For example in WA, my area, the ipe/ironwood type decking, if treated with a linseed or soy based oil as recommended to retain color, will tend to accumulate mold/slime/moss/etc. (that apparently feast on that oil) over winters and become dangerously slick (like ice). So you have to buy into letting it go naturally gray if you want that decking, unless you don't plan to walk on it. But that may not be a thing where you live. So I suggest you look for local advice.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Olympic-319-9- ... er/3043830

For everyone that has a composite deck and has mold/mildew issues. You can thank me later. This is the best stuff I ever came across for cleaning.

Very simply...you dump this in one of those spraying containers (like the ones you use to spray weeds.) Make sure deck is dry and you brushed off any leaves or whatever laying on it. Spray this olympic stuff on...wait 10 minutes...spray it off with a hose. No need for pressure washer, no need to scrub. This makes your deck look new again. If you have a fairly good sized deck make sure you buy 2 jugs of this stuff. I bought 3 but only used 2.

Once deck drys you'll know immediately if you missed any spots. Walk around and spray the areas you missed...wait 10 min then spray off with hose again. Couldnt be easier.

Make sure you remove patio furniture off deck first. You are supposed to spray the grass around the deck first...just to be safe. I didnt experience any grass being killed but apparently it can happen.
g2morrow

Post by g2morrow »

Prudence wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:50 pm Was your IPE wood joined with nails or screws?
Screws - from underneath so the tops have no holes or screws
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:10 am https://www.lowes.com/pd/Olympic-319-9- ... er/3043830

For everyone that has a composite deck and has mold/mildew issues. You can thank me later. This is the best stuff I ever came across for cleaning.

Very simply...you dump this in one of those spraying containers (like the ones you use to spray weeds.) Make sure deck is dry and you brushed off any leaves or whatever laying on it. Spray this olympic stuff on...wait 10 minutes...spray it off with a hose. No need for pressure washer, no need to scrub. This makes your deck look new again. If you have a fairly good sized deck make sure you buy 2 jugs of this stuff. I bought 3 but only used 2.

Once deck drys you'll know immediately if you missed any spots. Walk around and spray the areas you missed...wait 10 min then spray off with hose again. Couldnt be easier.

Make sure you remove patio furniture off deck first. You are supposed to spray the grass around the deck first...just to be safe. I didnt experience any grass being killed but apparently it can happen.
This is what the manufacturer rep told me to use after he came out and did a cleaning to respond to my complaint about mold. I still needed to do some scrubbing in spots where the mold/mildew had really taken hold. But no more, now that the deck is gone. I much prefer my expansive patio. I need to weed it a bit and sweep it, of course, but it's like a whole outdoor room for much of the year. And the moss that grows on the pavers is actually a feature!
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

We have a Timbertech deck that is 9 years old. The only maintenance that I do is to pressure wash it every May. It replaced a wood deck that I was putting Behr solid stain on about once every 3 years. I found that a once per year pressure wash is a lot easier than a once every 3 year staining. And, the composite deck always looks better than the old wooden one.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

I replaced a wood deck with Trex several years ago. Overall I am happy with it however it did get midew spots. This problem is mostly if the deck is in the shade. You can prevent this by spraying with a bleach solution once in awhile. One other caution is that the manufacturer recommends against using a pressure washer on it. I think you could use one on a low pressure setting but a higher setting typically used to clean wood decks would damage a Trex deck.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I'm getting ready to build a new deck.
My contractor brought me 20 or so samples; only the Trex versions appeared to be coated. Trex had 3 versions...essentially good, better, and best.
The more you pay, the more coating you get. I would guess that the 3 sided coating is plastic. I think the coating is what solves many of the problems with the earlier composites. I defer to the experts or to those with experience.

I'm thinking about going with the middle grade of Trex...the better...named "Enhance". The good version appears to be lightly coated and isn't as thick....so I'm going with Enhance...the middle grade which shows more coating. The best version shows much more coating.

Another reason that I'm leaning towards Trex is that's what's available locally....that's what my contractor says that he can get.

Here's the Trex FAQ. It tells about the older versions of Trex VS the new coated versions: https://www.trex.com/why-trex/faq/#deckrail2

For the OP and Azek decking:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=KYl8W_ ... Y7lDObEa0A

I'm early in my research; I think my contractor has a plan for the steps and the railing....not sure.
Last edited by hudson on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Post by hudson »

You've probably already seen this: viewtopic.php?t=244485
hudson

This Old House Article on Composite Decking

Post by hudson »

All about composite decking...with examples

Does it burn?
Yes, but at a much higher temperature than wood. Most composites meet California's strict Wildland-Urban Interface Building Code.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/all- ... te-decking
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

We've done several decks with Azek. In my opinion it is superior to the other "composite" brands, but does have a few drawbacks.

Pros - doesn't stain, doesn't fade. It doesn't encourage growth of organic material and does not attract bugs. The color is all the way through so scratches/gouges won't cause problems. Azek makes a complete set of coordinated parts (railing, Newell posts, balusters, etc.)

Cons - it's plastic so it gets very hot in full sun. It is more flexible than other types so I've found that with standard 16 inch joist spacing you will get some bounce. I finally went to 12 inch joist spacing on my most recent deck and its rock solid. Azek is more expensive.

All in all, we are very happy wit Azek compared to the others and would recommend it.
queso

Post by queso »

I am thinking of DIYing both our decks with a composite so thanks for all the info. Couple of questions. 1) best place to purchase for DIY? 2) did you use screws or a proprietary hidden fastener system? 3) I assume the railings/newel posts are sleeves and not solid? Did you use the same system for balusters or are those solid or a different material?

Thanks!
hudson

Post by hudson »

queso wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 am I am thinking of DIYing both our decks with a composite so thanks for all the info. Couple of questions. 1) best place to purchase for DIY? 2) did you use screws or a proprietary hidden fastener system? 3) I assume the railings/newel posts are sleeves and not solid? Did you use the same system for balusters or are those solid or a different material?

Thanks!
I'm getting ready to build with Trex Enhance. I was discussing the job with my contractor and mentioned that I read in the instructions that the gap between boards should be 1/4 inch. He replied that that was kind of wide...but added that the hidden fasteners would give the recommended spacing. We are going to use the hidden fasteners; the contractor doesn't want to put fasteners through the boards. I like the idea of fasteners, but I haven't read a single complaint about either method. The Trex installation manual (link below) had detailed instructions on how to screw it down.

https://documents.trex.com/is/content/T ... ourpdf.pdf

Where to buy? At this time, we're planning to buy from Lowes; Trex Enhance is not in stock; it will be a special order.

Do I think that Trex Enhance is special or magical? No, I also like Fiberon...both available by special order.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I used the trex hidden fasteners about 5 years ago on my trex deck.

Still tight, no complaints. The fasteners provide even spacing between deck boards and are stainless steel fasteners.

These are what I used: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Trex-Universal ... x8EALw_wcB
Topic Author
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

OP here. To add, my contractor recommended that we use pressure treated lumber for the infill on the railings (these are the vertical pieces that support the hand rails). He said they would be yellowish when installed and then turn to gray over time as they weather. He said that they are never a problem and will last indefinitely. The main advantage is cost savings over a coated infill. Lots of home owners have installed white or black railing (or other variations). I would like to keep the cost down but am concerned that we may regret using the pressure treated lumber for this purpose. Comments appreciated.
Casper

Post by Casper »

I would not build a beautiful Azek deck and then use pressure treated lumber for the balusters (I assume that's why you mean by "infill"). If you're spending the money for a composite/PVC deck, then get a railing system to match (there are lots of options). Pressure treated balusters will last a long time because they stand vertically and won't take as much of a beating from weather, but they will still warp, crack, etc., and will require more maintenance than the Azek deck surface.