Fitness band with excellent Android syncing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Fitness band with excellent Android syncing?

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 am

The first, second, and third most important requirements are that it sync with Android. Reliably, easily, quickly, no problems, no fussing, every time, all the time. And with no pickiness about the precise phone brand or Android version (but FYI my phone is a Samsung running 6.0.1).

Other desiderata: reasonably well-known name brand (no China Post direct ship specials), under $100, waterproof, readable outdoors, not need an Internet connection to sync basic functions, tell the time, and count steps well. (I shouldn't have to say "count steps well" but I recently read a review that complained that the unit reviewed, which had GPS, it didn't discriminate reliably between walking and driving and logged driving distances as having been walked!)
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

PFInterest

Re: Fitness band with excellent Android syncing?

Post by PFInterest » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:24 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 am
The first, second, and third most important requirement is that it sync with Android. Reliably, easily, quickly, no problems, no fussing, no pickiness about the precise Android version (but FYI my phone is running 6.0.1).

Other desiderata: reasonably well-known name brand (no China Post direct ship specials), under $100, waterproof, readable outdoors, not need an Internet connection to sync basic functions, tell the time, and count steps well. (I shouldn't have to say "count steps well" but I recently read a review that complained that the unit reviewed, which had GPS, it didn't discriminate reliably between walking and driving and logged driving distances as having been walked!)
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... -trackers/

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:26 am

nisiprius wrote:
The first, second, and third most important requirements are that it sync with Android. Reliably, easily, quickly, no problems, no fussing, every time, all the time. And with no pickiness about the precise phone brand or Android version (but FYI my phone is a Samsung running 6.0.1).

off topic but hopefully you are still getting some security updates for Android Marshmallow.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:26 am

Doesn't address the specific question of reliability of Android syncing.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:28 am

I have yet to find anything that is "reliable" with Android as you define it. Everything requires a bit of TLC to get/keep it working -- eventually.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 am

PFInterest wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:26 am
off topic but hopefully you are still getting some security updates for Android Marshmallow.
Actually, I'm not. I've been wondering about that. I know I have automatic updates on, because I get application updates pushed from the Google store several times a week--but nothing for Android itself. Settings, Software Update, Check for Update says "Your software is up to date." Software version is said to be MMB29M.S120VLUDU2APJ2, Baseband version S120VLUDU2APJ2. Yet "About Device, Android security patch level" reports "October 1, 2016."

Exactly what am I supposed to be doing to get the security updates? I certainly haven't ever turned them off.

I do use Malwarebytes and the latest scan is clean.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:43 am

Be sure to also look at the expected battery life. In many(most ?) of them the batteries are not replaceable so once the battery fails it cannot be repaired. It varies greatly but it is not uncommon for the battery to fail in less that two years.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am

nisiprius wrote:

nisiprius,

Does not address all your requirement but the price is right. I got mine for about $40. You might be able to find one from the Craig list and so on.

A) Use CR2025 battery. Aka, no non-replaceable rechargeable battery. This is a good thing. All other trackers essentially only last 2 years because of the non-replaceable rechargeable battery. Paying $100 to $200 for every 2 years is not a good deal.

B) You can buy a third party band so that you can wear it on your wrist.

KlangFool

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:00 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am
nisiprius wrote:

nisiprius,

Does not address all your requirement but the price is right. I got mine for about $40. You might be able to find one from the Craig list and so on.

A) Use CR2025 battery. Aka, no non-replaceable rechargeable battery. This is a good thing. All other trackers essentially only last 2 years because of the non-replaceable rechargeable battery. Paying $100 to $200 for every 2 years is not a good deal.

KlangFool
Perhaps you could disclose the identity of the device? :)

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:22 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:00 am
KlangFool wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am
nisiprius wrote:

nisiprius,

KlangFool
Perhaps you could disclose the identity of the device? :)
Sorry. Fitbit Zip.

KlangFool

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:23 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 am
PFInterest wrote:
Actually, I'm not. I've been wondering about that. I know I have automatic updates on, because I get application updates pushed from the Google store several times a week--but nothing for Android itself. Settings, Software Update, Check for Update says "Your software is up to date." Software version is said to be MMB29M.S120VLUDU2APJ2, Baseband version S120VLUDU2APJ2. Yet "About Device, Android security patch level" reports "October 1, 2016."

Exactly what am I supposed to be doing to get the security updates? I certainly haven't ever turned them off.

I do use Malwarebytes and the latest scan is clean.
updates are handled by the vender of your phone. you basically are missing everything from the past 2 years, which is the problem in the Android ecosystem vs iOS. its just meant to realize the case, and something to add to the consideration of an upgrade.
its also the reason ppl install custom ROMs to keep as UTD as possible.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:24 am

nisiprius wrote:
you clearly didnt read the article. there is a specific mention for Android users.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Not under $100 but, you might find that paying more gets you more.

I bought a Fitbit Ionic a little more than ten months ago for $269. It comes with a year warranty and our credit card extends for another year.

Excellent Android syncing unless you have Bluetooth running on two devices at the same time and the same Fitbit registered on both i.e. android phone and ipad.

steps
distance either km or miles
calories
stairs
active minutes
pulse
time, date
movement reminders
fitness coach
gps
ability to set walking and running stride for greater accuracy
sleep record which includes light sleep, rem, awake time and deep sleep.
emails you a weekly report including average resting pulse rate, avg hours per night sleep, distance, steps, stairs and more
alarms
timers
music
weather
great battery life (if I don't use the gps I get six days without charging)

Smartwatch functions:
phone call notification
messages including four preprogrammed short responses
calendar alerts
email

So the only thing I would change is I would buy the Fitbit Versa which wasn't out at the time but I have since purchased one for DW. She loves hers too. The Versa doesn't have a gps but is $199.

I have had the Fitbit zip for a few years prior to the Ionic and if you only want the steps and distance... It will probably only last 15 months or so (my experience with three).
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:35 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Youngblood wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:44 pm

I have had the Fitbit zip for a few years prior to the Ionic and if you only want the steps and distance... It will probably only last 15 months or so (my experience with three).
Youngblood,

I have a Fitbit Alta HR and a Fitbit Zip. I do not use my Fitbit regularly. It had lasted more than 2 years. What was the problem that you faced with Fitbit Zip?

Meanwhile, Fitbit Alta HR was dead in less than one year. It had to be replaced under warranty.

KlangFool

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:24 am
nisiprius wrote:
you clearly didnt read the article. there is a specific mention for Android users.
:oops: I thought you were pointing to the top-rated device. You mean "Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro...It’s a particularly good pick for Android users?"

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:08 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm
PFInterest wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:24 am
nisiprius wrote:
:oops: I thought you were pointing to the top-rated device. You mean "Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro...It’s a particularly good pick for Android users?"
i use a garmin vivofit HR+, but with iOS so cannot directly comment. it works perfectly fine for me though.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:12 am

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:55 pm
Youngblood wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Youngblood,

I have a Fitbit Alta HR and a Fitbit Zip. I do not use my Fitbit regularly. It had lasted more than 2 years. What was the problem that you faced with Fitbit Zip?

Meanwhile, Fitbit Alta HR was dead in less than one year. It had to be replaced under warranty.

KlangFool
Hi Klangfool,

In all three cases it stopped syncing with the fitbit dongle. After exhausting all my personal attempts to rectify this I ended up calling support. They walked me through all the things I had already done (as they have to do) and then told me it was broken and nothing could be done. Since it was out of warranty, all they could do was offer a discount.

At that time period I did not use a credit card that would extend the warranty by a year.

I did use it everyday and relied on it to keep a weekly, monthly, yearly and total distance record.

I did try the Alta HR but didn't like its outside brightness and ended up returning it.

The extra money for the Ionic verses the Zip is meaningless unless it fails like the zip did.

Youngblood
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch