Opinions and experiences with Verizon Prepaid?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
raven15

Opinions and experiences with Verizon Prepaid?

Post by raven15 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:25 am

Bogleheads seems like a good place for this. The spouse recently switched to Verizon Prepaid and I will be joining shortly. We have been bouncing around a couple MVNOs but getting tired of poor coverage of ATT and Sprint/Tmobile combined with "we don't work nights by Eastern time or weekends any time" of MVNOs. Right now Verizon prepaid pricing looks phenomenal for the 3 GB plan. First line is $40, second $30, third $30, fourth -0-, others $30. Which means you can have four 3GB lines for $25 each. They have been doubling my spouse's data for making regular payments, I don't know how that will work for adding many new lines but it may be we will get 6GB each on this plan. Since this also comes with a first rate network and customer service it is hard to look elsewhere.

So, what has everyone's experience been with Verizon prepaid? Have you ever had issues with your data being second priority? Any other issues? In order to take full advantage of this deal we'd like to move my parents and brother to our plan from Verizon unlimited post paid. Doing so would save us $18 and them ~$100 per month, but they are scared they will lose something big by turning that post to a pre. In your personal experience, will they?
It's Time. Adding Interest.

pete1983

Re: Opinions and experiences with Verizon Prepaid?

Post by pete1983 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 am

I switched from Verizon postpaid to prepaid about a year ago and didn’t notice any difference in service. The customer service was worse with prepaid and I had to work hard to get a human on the line. The good news is that the plan is pretty simple and I had no real need to interact with customer service after the first month.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:08 am

Switched to Verizon prepaid about a year ago. Service has been much better than T-mobile, in a dense urban area, but still not perfect. Cost has been much less.

Switched to their multiuser prepaid plan in May soon after it came out. One of the users had to get a new phone in June, which was purchased from the Verizon store. They had a terrible time trying to get the new phone working because they were just a user on a prepaid plan on which another person was the administrator. Verizon employees did not even know the multiuser prepaid plan existed. We got through that after many calls & visits to the store and all is now working.

The one large irritant is that Verizon Prepaid does not offer Visual Voicemail if you use an Android phone. I would pay extra to have this, but it is not an option. Only option seems to be using Google Voice, and I have not yet gotten around to implementing that project...

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:11 am

I switched 8 months ago and saved $20 a month. Conversion was seamless and cell service is just as before. I've not had any interactions with customer service either before or after so can't comment on that.

raven15

Post by raven15 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the replies. I probably should have searched reddit instead of bogleheads I now see! Post paid is looking like the way to go to me, just need the parents to realize they rarely visit crowded places and use little data so being throttled a little will not be an issue for $100 a month savings.
Thanks. It seems most threads on the topic are out of date. There is not a 20c /min roaming call charge for a few years now as far as I can tell. But it looks like there might still be worse coverage on the fringes of service especially where roaming is concerned. I had not previously known that and I may need to look into that more. The phones will often be used around the limits of cell tower coverage and beyond. IMO still not worth the huge price differential though.

Other differences I picked up on are streamed video limited to 480 (who cares?) and a separate and worse customer service.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm almost positive they use exactly the same network and have the same access to that network.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:21 pm

raven15 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:25 am
Bogleheads seems like a good place for this. The spouse recently switched to Verizon Prepaid and I will be joining shortly. We have been bouncing around a couple MVNOs but getting tired of poor coverage of ATT and Sprint/Tmobile combined with "we don't work nights by Eastern time or weekends any time" of MVNOs. Right now Verizon prepaid pricing looks phenomenal for the 3 GB plan. First line is $40, second $30, third $30, fourth -0-, others $30. Which means you can have four 3GB lines for $25 each. They have been doubling my spouse's data for making regular payments, I don't know how that will work for adding many new lines but it may be we will get 6GB each on this plan. Since this also comes with a first rate network and customer service it is hard to look elsewhere.

So, what has everyone's experience been with Verizon prepaid? Have you ever had issues with your data being second priority? Any other issues? In order to take full advantage of this deal we'd like to move my parents and brother to our plan from Verizon unlimited post paid. Doing so would save us $18 and them ~$100 per month, but they are scared they will lose something big by turning that post to a pre. In your personal experience, will they?
My wife has had it for going on three years now and she loves it. The cost for 3GB a month of data that rolls over is great, especially for such a great network. I had Verizon post-paid through my employer for over a year and very rarely was my postpaid better than her prepaid, but it did happen occasionally. I am now forced to have AT&T and man, AT&T is considerably worse. I miss Verizon all the time. I highly recommend Verizon prepaid.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:41 pm

We all know networks are very local. I have an ATT personal phone and a Verizon work phone. There are many places where either has two bars and the other has 4 bars. I have found a few places where neither has coverage. I have found few places where one has coverage and the other does not.

I'll keep following the thread. I'm on an ancient grandfathered AT&T unlimited domestic AND international plan right now, but my international travel patterns have changed plus ATT has put a lot of restrictions on the international service and has raised rates. When I get a new iPhone XI (or whatever its called) this Fall it will be with Verizon pre-paid. I like that they don't force you to pay more for high resolution streaming that I wouldn't use plus they allow daily international add ons.

raven15

Post by raven15 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:55 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:21 pm
The cost for 3GB a month of data that rolls over is great, especially for such a great network.
The 2GB/mo rollover is admittedly pretty great also, I have no fear of running out of data with this plan.

raven15

Post by raven15 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 pm

I perused the coverage map and see I will spend a day or two this week in a location which is marked post-paid Verizon yes, pre-paid Verizon no! Unfortunately I need both voice and data for work those days so I can't experiment, I will delay switching to Verizon until after I am done with that location. I know my Net10 ATT plan works in that area (poorly, for most of the day it will fade if I squat or get in my truck). Later I hope to drive to the area to see if prepaid actually can work in the spot it is labeled not to work in. It is basically a question of whether Verizon postpaid works in an area of ATT-only service while Verizon prepaid does not.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am

One small difference between Verizon Postpaid and Prepaid is the procedure for switching handsets. Some people have multiple phones and with Postpaid one simply swaps the SIM card between phones and the system immediately recognizes the new one. But, with Prepaid one must contact customer service to do the switch and Prepaid CS is not always easy to reach.

Also, Verizon recently launched a new wireless company called Visible. It costs $40/mo. inclusive and offers unlimited (5g data). At this time Iphones only (BYO) and you need an "invite" (available on the web).

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:03 am

Works great! $40 a month. Great network. I buy the Samsung J7 for about $120 and the phone works fine.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:49 am

I switched a month ago to the $40 plan and so far, so good. My main reason for switching was to get a plan I could use while traveling internationally. It is $10/day for each day you use it so to me not cheap but worth a try. A friend who just returned from the UK, however, said data was super slow there so I’ll see soon.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:51 am

magazinewriter wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:49 am
I switched a month ago to the $40 plan and so far, so good. My main reason for switching was to get a plan I could use while traveling internationally. It is $10/day for each day you use it so to me not cheap but worth a try. A friend who just returned from the UK, however, said data was super slow there so I’ll see soon.
Not to derail, but just buy a local SIM card at your destination and swap out the SIM card temporarily. Way better and way cheaper.