Best (most practical, low cost) Luggage for Airline Travel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor

Best (most practical, low cost) Luggage for Airline Travel

Post by Small Law Survivor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:58 pm

My wife and I are going to several locations in Italy this Fall. However, our luggage is the old, soft nylon style with two wheels and a handle.

I noticed when I took a trip recently that many people in the airline terminals have "hard shell"/four wheel luggage, and I'm wondering (a) should we purchase hard shell luggage, and (b) if so, what manufacturer should be buy from?

Any thoughts/advice on this would be appreciated.

Small Law Survivor

HIinvestor

Re: Best (most practical, low cost) Luggage for Airline Travel

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 pm

It really depends on your style. Do you plan to fly within Europe? Will you be toting your own? Will you be catching trains? Going up/down stairs?

Luggage sizes and weights for carry on flights in Europe are lighter and smaller than US, so please check. Go to a luggage store or department and try different suitcases out to see how you feel pulling them. Bring 20 pounds or so of books to simulate your gear. You really don’t want to buy and be unhappy.

Personally, we have stuck with the 2 wheeled cordura nylon bags and been pretty satisfied. I’m not thrilled with the “hard shelled” carbonite models—they get scuffed and can split; they mostly weigh more empty and are less forgiving of adding just one more thing.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Costco has this type of luggage. Well worth it to join the club.

birdy

Post by birdy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Spouse and I travel internationally for pleasure. I bought two Delsey (100% Polycarbonate shell) 26 inch 360 spinners. You have to watch the dimensions of your luggage when traveling overseas. Some times when they give you suitcase dimensions, they DO NOT INCLUDE the wheels! These are for checked luggage (we also go a lot with just a carry on and personal item only). These have a "top opening lid" (clamshell type lid) and include an overweight indicator (50 lbs. max weight). I like these top opening lids because I can put something tall in it without having a problem. I also use packing envelopes for my shirts/dresses/pants.

For carry-on, I have a Samsonite soft sided Sphere lite 2, 19 inch spinner. Spouse just purchased a Travel Pro soft sided spinner when he saw how nice the spinner wheels are! We put these in the over head and keep our "personal" item with us that contains all the stuff we want to use on the plane (pillow/book/pain meds/travel step stool for my short legs etc.) We are going (for the first time in 15 years) on an Ocean cruise to Antarctica (18 days). When I told spouse I was only going to take my carry on/personal item, he freaked out! So I guess I will take my checked piece also! I really hate having checked pieces because they can be lost in transit (happened to me in Galapagos Islands!). This cruise includes use of a free self-serve laundry on board so I was just going to wash clothes once to avoid a checked in piece!

We have old suitcases which are really well made, but the new spinner wheels and telescoping handles are a luxury I wanted. They don't make new suitcases as well made as in the past, but you basically sacrifice that for lighter weight luggage which is easier to stay under weight limits with.

birdy

Utvolfan1

Post by Utvolfan1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Travelpro. Great bags at a reasonable price. Lots of flight crews use them.

Notsobad

Post by Notsobad » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Would stick to soft side luggage as these are more flexible. 4 wheel spinners are more convenient in airports but don’t handle as well on rough roads, and the wheels take some space.

As with others things the better quality items usually cost more. Travel pro is highly rated and moderately priced. So is Costco’s Kirkland brand.

student

Post by student » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Ebags brand is pretty good. I have their bags.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Thinking a bit outside of the usual luggage store fare, consider looking at the Osprey brand. Found at outdoors stores (for example REI) their travel luggage line has many sizes and styles, is very lightweight, very rugged, designed with good features, and reasonably priced.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:08 pm

I appreciate that other people buy oversized hard shell suitcases that they have to check in. That leaves more overhead space for people like me.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Check the weight. I bought a very nice, expensive, carry-on (Samsonite) and am sorry I did because it weighs so much.

By the time I get it packed it is always over the weight limit. So far I have been lucky and have never been called on it. One of these day I will be forced to check it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

NDND60

Post by NDND60 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Utvolfan1 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 pm
^
This. I travel alot on business and I'd say the vast majority of pilots and flight attendants I see in airports are toting Travelpro bags.

Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:40 pm

A minimalist traveler here but for what it's worth, for two 4-month traveling's in Asia the past two years, I used only an Osprey Ozone 46. Fits in overhead easily enough, has straps to compress when stuffed. Accepted on 14 different airlines, international and domestic. Useful to have a light jacket to put on temporarily to put a few heavier things in the pockets of because of weight restrictions, usually only a problem for internal flights, i.e., 7 kilos (not necessary for international/domestic booked as one). Learned this trick after having to fork over $50 AUS leaving Uluru two years ago. Then repack when through check-in.
Once you get the procedure down, one can pack in an hour or so the night before departure (I do use a list). I dress conservatively when traveling and use only synthetic fabrics, easily adaptable for restaurants, temples, churches, dancing, hiking, cool weather and warm weather.

Karl V

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Check out duffels around 3,500 CC /60L

Duffels

They officially do not meet carry on regs, but read the reviews, they squish up well. I use them as carry on all the time. Never a problem.

David
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:44 pm

NDND60 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Utvolfan1 wrote:
^
This. I travel alot on business and I'd say the vast majority of pilots and flight attendants I see in airports are toting Travelpro bags.

Thirded. I bought them for this reason. Outstanding quality for the price.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:26 pm

vitaflo wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:44 pm
NDND60 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Utvolfan1 wrote:
^

Thirded. I bought them for this reason. Outstanding quality for the price.
I bought a travelpro years ago. The handle broke within a couple years of hard use and their "lifetime warranty" was useless. I switched to Costco luggage ever since. 1/2 the price and twice as durable.

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I have had 2 hard sided suitcases get destroyed by having one of the wheels sheared off. One was a Delsey, the other a Timberland.

I’m using an Amazon Basics branded soft sided suitcase right now that has survived multiple trips. Happy with it so far.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:19 pm

I went to a hard side, 4-wheeled spinner a few years ago and regret it. The clam shell configuration that most hard side luggage comes in is not practical. Also the the 4 wheel configuration takes away from storage space. I used to be able to pack for a weeklong business trip in my carry on, and am no longer able to do so.

essbeer

Post by essbeer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Very few tourist attractions in Europe will check a bag anymore. If I take a suitcase of any kind I pretty much have to go straight to the hotel from the train/plane, which is almost never the best use of my time. I prefer the smallest, lightest backpack I can get away with. I can pack four changes of clothes, chargers, and my toiletries in an REI 18L flash pack. Fully packed it's only a few pounds and takes up no more space than a large purse. I just resign myself to the fact that I will occasionally have to drop off laundry, which is a breeze now thanks to Google maps.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Utvolfan1 wrote:
+1

cuihang

Post by cuihang » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Samsonite - very good service; last time, the United damaged our luggage which is over 10 years old; Samsonite fixed it for free and we don't need to claim it from United.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Decision to make: Spend big bucks for well-made luggage and worry about the airlines damaging it or buy an economy suitcase that meets your needs and assume that it will eventually be damaged and you'll simply replace it.

I have been buying too much luggage since retiring and opted for the latter philosophy. But just last month I decided to buy a TravelPro Rollaboard for a(nother) month in France. The 2-wheel variety is easier when negotiating the cobbled streets of Europe, and it has some well-recommended features. Aside from other carry-on size suitcases, I also have a larger clamshell style. Good for the river cruise I went on since no need to keep moving it around and, depending on your cabin configuration, you may be able to put it open under the bed for additional "slide-out" storage.

Edit: Meant to add that the 4-wheel spinners are great for airports, especially on the larger suitcases. On real streets, well, that's your call.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Volkdancer wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:40 pm
A minimalist traveler here but for what it's worth, for two 4-month traveling's in Asia the past two years, I used only an Osprey Ozone 46. Fits in overhead easily enough, has straps to compress when stuffed. Accepted on 14 different airlines, international and domestic. Useful to have a light jacket to put on temporarily to put a few heavier things in the pockets of because of weight restrictions, usually only a problem for internal flights, i.e., 7 kilos (not necessary for international/domestic booked as one). Learned this trick after having to fork over $50 AUS leaving Uluru two years ago. Then repack when through check-in.
Once you get the procedure down, one can pack in an hour or so the night before departure (I do use a list). I dress conservatively when traveling and use only synthetic fabrics, easily adaptable for restaurants, temples, churches, dancing, hiking, cool weather and warm weather.

Karl V
On the Camino, I use Osprey Tempest 40 for 6 weeks at a time. But for non-hiking oriented trips I use conventional suitcases. I have discovered a secret: you don't have to fill out all the suitcase space available. A sparely packed bag is easier to manage, especially on trips where every morning you wake up in a different bed.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Coato

Post by Coato » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 pm

As others have said you need to know your trip.

My wife and I lived in Italy and basically converted over to wearing urban backpacks that carried around 30l.

OUR travel was mostly in trains and rental cars. On trains there are many reasons to have a small backpack. First, the luggage rack for suitcases will be at the end of the car next to the door. There is a small chance of theft, and a 100% chance you wlll be worried about theft and not enjoying the rolling by views. (If you aren’t worried, the small chance of theft goes up.) Second, all of the train stations are in city centers which means trying to wheel your bag on cobblestone roads and making yourself a target for pickpockets and people selling you stuff. Even if you fly to Rome or Milan and stay there, you still will probably take the train from the airport into town.

Depending on where you are going, rental cars are also a problem. Most of the old city centers are limited zones and only residents can drive in there. You would have to park your car outside and walk in.

So we eventually got it down to three outfits and one pair of shoes and one bagged it. You’ll stick out less and increase your travel flexibility by a ton. As another poster said we did laundry some, but if you get merino wool clothes that probably won’t even be necessary.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:05 pm

AerialP wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 pm
Thinking a bit outside of the usual luggage store fare, consider looking at the Osprey brand. Found at outdoors stores (for example REI) their travel luggage line has many sizes and styles, is very lightweight, very rugged, designed with good features, and reasonably priced.
We have an Osprey bag that we always take on a trip, we normally leave much more expensive Tumi luggage behind to take it. It has wheels and also converts easily into a backup for carrying. I think it might be an older version of the Sojourn - we've had it at least 12 or 13 years and it's been used for luxury travel all the way to technical scuba diving carrying regulars, flashlights etc.

MJS

Post by MJS » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 pm

If you use mostly taxis & will be packing lots of fragile items & have 3+ bags: many sea shells, crystal stemware, 12 bottles of alcohol - get hard sided luggage w/ 4 wheels. Not my first choice....

If rental car + somtimes middling fragile items - a perfume bottle, 1 bottle alcohol, a few sea shells, one China figurine and 1-2 flights of stairs max --soft sided w/ 2 wheels.

If you always have non fragile stuff and you are quite fit -- use a duffel bag or backpack for max non-checked luggage space .

I like to bring a liter of local alcohol back from international trips. An overhead sized but checkable 2 wheeled, soft sided bag works best for me. Bring a gallon ziplock bag for alcohol.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 pm
Personally, we have stuck with the 2 wheeled cordura nylon bags and been pretty satisfied. I’m not thrilled with the “hard shelled” carbonite models—they get scuffed and can split; they mostly weigh more empty and are less forgiving of adding just one more thing.
+1

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Notsobad wrote:
Would stick to soft side luggage as these are more flexible. 4 wheel spinners are more convenient in airports but don’t handle as well on rough roads, and the wheels take some space.

As with others things the better quality items usually cost more. Travel pro is highly rated and moderately priced. So is Costco’s Kirkland brand.
My wife and I purchased new luggage about a year ago and decided on Travel Pro 2-wheelers. I thought she'd want to go with a spinner but she also notices the loss of interior space with the extra two wheels and space is a very important consideration to both of us.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 am

Travelpro Maxlite international 21”. 4 wheel spinner. I’d never go back to the 2 wheel version after rocking the 4 throughout several Europe trips. Because, the 4 wheel can become a 2 wheel when you want it to, just tip it back and pull!

There are different Maxlite versions, as they’ve been refining them over the years. I have the 3, and have really enjoyed it. The new Maxlite 5 looks great.

The hard sided stuff just never seemed very compelling to me.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:32 pm

It depends on your travel style. The 4-wheel spinners are nice for airports, though I see more than a few on the luggage conveyors missing a wheel.

We travel a fair bit around Europe, often staying in smaller hotels and using trains. With all the cobbles in streets and sidewalks, we've stuck with the 2-wheel type which have the larger wheels. In Venice or pedestrian zones I'd stick with bags that handle the surfaces better (2-wheel).

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:00 pm

from the review site 'The Wirecutter':
The Best Carry-On Luggage https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... n-luggage/
The top pick and the runnerup are from Travelpro. The budget pick is Costco's Kirkland brand.
Best checked: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-checked-luggage/
Do yourself a big favor and travel light.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:14 pm

We have Delsey Helium and Briggs & Riley 22” 2-wheeled rollerblades made with cordura nylon. They’ve lasted and lasted. We have taken them on board and checked them and have no complaints. H’s Delsey finally gave it up—wheels started disintegrating after 12+ years, so we donated it.

Here’s a review that you may wish to read that discusses various features more so you can make an informed choice. We got our Briggs & Riley bags at a huge discount a few years ago at Costco — $139/bag. Haven’t seen it before or since at that price. Our S used to fly over 100,000 miles/year and the B&R was his favorite, so he urged us to buy. We’ve been very pleased.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... n-luggage/

Happy travels!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:27 pm

This wouldn't be "low coast", but in terms of ease of use...

Earlier this year at a conference, instead of a "goodie bag of assorted stuff" from sponsors, each attendee was given a good sized hard-sided 4-wheel Rimowa suitcase.

The suitcase itself was "nice", but nothing truly special.
However, the *wheels* were SO much easier to push along, including on carpet. I don't know if they were better balanced, or the little axles (or whatever) were better precision, or what. But there was a huge difference, even from a the Tumi luggage we have, or the one Briggs & Riley we tried.

We haven't had it long enough to know about the longer term durability of those wheels, but the suitcase has already been on several trips with a few connections each way, each trip, including overseas, and with a variety of "baggage handlers", and so far, so good.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Luggage choices really depend on how/where/how-often you travel.

A good upgrade choice IMO is Eagle Creek over the budget offerings.

Several of their lines have the "No Matter What Warranty", read more here - https://www.eaglecreek.com/warranty

I've had to use the warranty only once - on stitching that was coming undone - but it went without a hitch.

I'd double check with them on what lines have what warranty (their website is a little unclear). Their regular lifetime warranty isn't too bad I don't think either.

We've had their roll-on luggage+backpack combo for quite awhile - both a Traverse Pro bought in 2010 (discontinued) and the newer Switchback (2013). You lose a bit of space, but gain the ability to use the entire pack as a backpack - useful if traveling in certain places. There is an attachable/detachable day backpack - very handy as your personal item at the airport, which you can just re-attach to roll around the airport - and then can use when doing tours or such at your destination. You can often find Eagle Creek's discounted if you look around. I never paid anything close to retail price for mine.

I like the idea of the 4-wheel spinning products, but they're really only for flat areas. I prefer the larger wheels of a dedicated 2-wheel based on my experiences...including in Italy. We flew into Naples, took train transportation or subway pretty much everywhere, and walked with the luggage to/from hotels/stations. Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Pompei, Rome, Pisa, Venice - not sure 4-spinning wheels would have made it. I wouldn't trade that experience for zero-turn 4-wheel luggage at all, and in more exotic locations the backpack option is great. If I was an airport warrior...I'd probably take the 4-wheel luggage. If I wasn't looking at a long-term investment or was an infrequent traveler, I think the TravelPro recommendations are pretty good.

PS - If traveling in Europe, I heartily recommend the Rick Steves guides.

pilotpaul

Post by pilotpaul » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Professional Pilot here......I'm on my 3rd Costco bag in 16 years. Only paid once. The lifetime guarantee is well worth it for me. Each generation of bag keeps improving the features. Love the larger wheels on the latest model and it meets carry-on restrictions.

Its available online only I believe.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 68877.html

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:12 am

Most common, mass-market luggage brands have offerings at a variety of price points and quality.

Regardless of size, I've found the best value at the upper end of the Samsonite line, and I generally buy it at TJ Maxx or Marshall's when it's on clearance.

Since the inventory at these types of stores isn't predictable, I always buy an extra when I don't need it. These bags last for years, so when I need to retire a bag and start using the new one I have plenty of time to find its replacement to put back into "inventory."

Me: frequent traveler (100,000+ miles/year domestic+international; well over 1,000,000 lifetime miles flown).

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 am

I travel long distance couple of times per year. Most of the times I fit a family of 3 plus gifts in one suitcase and hand luggage.
These are my requirements for luggage:
1. Has to as light as possible without sacrificing durability.
Most suitcases come close to 8lbs. Weight limit is 50lbs on international.
I had a light suitcase, about 4lbs, also expensive, but it was short lived. Never again.
A duffel bag would be great but good luck moving around 50lbs in a duffel back. It's painful.
2. Has to maximize volume WITHIN AIRLINE LIMITS. That means no spinners for me, thank you. Last time I looked the wheels counted towards the size, so I don't want them sticking out.
3. Large wheels. Work better on cobblestone, asphalt, imperfect roads etc. Sometimes I drag them for miles with 50lbs inside.
4. I do not care about colors, design etc, weird colors are cheaper and easier to spot on the belt. They get dirty anyway.
As for brands, I don' t care much. I had a suitcase that lasted a lot from Ricardo, but it was heavy. I mostly owned Samsonite, they are not that robust but they are cheap in Marshalls or other discount stores or when is sale at Macys (<100$ for large ones).
I don't understand the policarbonate thing, I need elasticity and when a suitcase fails it is almost never the "body" but the extensible handle (usually) or the wheels.

If you plan to rent cars, or use taxis/uber etc suitcases are ok, but more than one it a real hassle (no room in the trunk in normal cars). If you going to use public transportation and don't have a kid or gifts to take with you you should go with large backpacks. Much more practical.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:58 pm

I noticed when I took a trip recently that many people in the airline terminals have "hard shell"/four wheel luggage
I have no idea why.

2 wheels = tucked into bag, protected by housing.
4 wheels = exposed, greater chance of breaking.

Luggage is disposable and airport luggage handlers are hard on them.

Buy cheap soft side luggage and replace every few years. I got a 5 piece kit in Black Friday from American tourister for like $50. I would only add a hard side if I needed to protect something.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:37 am

Google is a wonderful tool for finding high discount sources of luggage online. A couple years ago we bought some matching his/her made of higher quality material. They have been to Europe, Russia, the Ukraine, Panama, Caribbean and many US states. AA recently tore the zipper pull and it's holder right off the talon and I was able to find a place locally to actually replace that piece as the zipper teeth were undamaged and the bags look like they will be good for many more years. The material the bags are made from is more important than a brand name so take some time and read about the materials.
Last edited by midareff on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am

I'm a luggage contrarian. Roller luggage is dumb for several reasons: it isn't space efficient (those wheels and handles either take up interior space or increase exterior dimensions); they are heavier to begin with; they encourage over-packing; they get in the way of other people in crowded areas; they don't roll well on uneven surfaces; they are harder to stuff into overhead compartments; they are a hazard when being removed from overheads; they slow everybody down on steps and escalators while the operator stops to deploy the hand handle.

Somebody up-thread mentioned Osprey travel backpacks. The Farpoint 40 is great for up to a week and is carry-on legal. I use mine all the time. The larger Farpoint 55 is huge and is great for extended trips. Other manufacturers make comparable travel packs.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:45 am

c.coyle wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am
I'm a luggage contrarian. Roller luggage is dumb for several reasons: it isn't space efficient (those wheels and handles either take up interior space or increase exterior dimensions); they are heavier to begin with; they encourage over-packing; they get in the way of other people in crowded areas; they don't roll well on uneven surfaces; they are harder to stuff into overhead compartments; they are a hazard when being removed from overheads; they slow everybody down on steps and escalators while the operator stops to deploy the hand handle.

Somebody up-thread mentioned Osprey travel backpacks. The Farpoint 40 is great for up to a week and is carry-on legal. I use mine all the time. The larger Farpoint 55 is huge and is great for extended trips. Other manufacturers make comparable travel packs.
You certainly don't sound like a 70+ year old arthritic who doesn't want to carry multi-week trip bags by hand (since no handle or wheels) though long concourses and connections at airports, parking lots and more. Give yourself a couple of decades .. I think your perspective will change.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:31 am

(
midareff wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:45 am
c.coyle wrote:
I'm a luggage contrarian. Roller luggage is dumb for several reasons: . . . Somebody up-thread mentioned Osprey travel backpacks. The Farpoint 40 is great for up to a week and is carry-on legal. I use mine all the time. The larger Farpoint 55 is huge and is great for extended trips. Other manufacturers make comparable travel packs.
You certainly don't sound like a 70+ year old arthritic who doesn't want to carry multi-week trip bags by hand (since no handle or wheels) though long concourses and connections at airports, parking lots and more. Give yourself a couple of decades .. I think your perspective will change.
Well, obviously. My perspective on many things has changed since I was 20 or 30. But the OP said nothing about being old and in poor health, so I made no such assumption, and my post wasn't directed to those who are elderly and infirm.

I'm 64 and blessed to still be in good health. It's reasonable to assume others are, too. Obviously, elderly or infirm travelers (maybe me some day) will have to adjust their luggage choices. But, if you're in good health, roller luggage is still dumb.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am

c.coyle wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:31 am
(
midareff wrote:
c.coyle wrote:
I'm a luggage contrarian. Roller luggage is dumb for several reasons: . . . Somebody up-thread mentioned Osprey travel backpacks. The Farpoint 40 is great for up to a week and is carry-on legal. I use mine all the time. The larger Farpoint 55 is huge and is great for extended trips. Other manufacturers make comparable travel packs.
Well, obviously. My perspective on many things has changed since I was 20 or 30. But the OP said nothing about being old and in poor health, so I made no such assumption, and my post wasn't directed to those who are elderly and infirm.

I'm 64 and blessed to still be in good health. It's reasonable to assume others are, too. Obviously, elderly or infirm travelers (maybe me some day) will have to adjust their luggage choices. But, if you're in good health, roller luggage is still dumb.
"...my post wasn't directed to those who are elderly and infirm..."

So you were specifically excluding anyone elderly (or with mobility difficulties regardless of age)?

If so, you should have specified to whom you were addressing your post.
Otherwise, how would a reader know what you "intended".

RM

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 am

brajalle wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:10 pm
Luggage choices really depend on how/where/how-often you travel.

A good upgrade choice IMO is Eagle Creek over the budget offerings.

Several of their lines have the "No Matter What Warranty", read more here - https://www.eaglecreek.com/warranty

I've had to use the warranty only once - on stitching that was coming undone - but it went without a hitch.

I'd double check with them on what lines have what warranty (their website is a little unclear). Their regular lifetime warranty isn't too bad I don't think either.

We've had their roll-on luggage+backpack combo for quite awhile - both a Traverse Pro bought in 2010 (discontinued) and the newer Switchback (2013). You lose a bit of space, but gain the ability to use the entire pack as a backpack - useful if traveling in certain places. There is an attachable/detachable day backpack - very handy as your personal item at the airport, which you can just re-attach to roll around the airport - and then can use when doing tours or such at your destination. You can often find Eagle Creek's discounted if you look around. I never paid anything close to retail price for mine.

I like the idea of the 4-wheel spinning products, but they're really only for flat areas. I prefer the larger wheels of a dedicated 2-wheel based on my experiences...including in Italy. We flew into Naples, took train transportation or subway pretty much everywhere, and walked with the luggage to/from hotels/stations. Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Pompei, Rome, Pisa, Venice - not sure 4-spinning wheels would have made it. I wouldn't trade that experience for zero-turn 4-wheel luggage at all, and in more exotic locations the backpack option is great. If I was an airport warrior...I'd probably take the 4-wheel luggage. If I wasn't looking at a long-term investment or was an infrequent traveler, I think the TravelPro recommendations are pretty good.

PS - If traveling in Europe, I heartily recommend the Rick Steves guides.
I recently bought an Eagle Creek suitcase for an upcoming trip. A friend who travels a lot recommended it and I’ve seen the brand mentioned here on Bogleheads in the past.

Like you, I found a great deal on a discontinued model and got it for half price at a local store my friend recommended.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:53 am

bertilak wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 pm
Check the weight. I bought a very nice, expensive, carry-on (Samsonite) and am sorry I did because it weighs so much.

By the time I get it packed it is always over the weight limit. So far I have been lucky and have never been called on it. One of these day I will be forced to check it.
We only travel with carry-on bags nowadays. We were stopped while boarding and forced to check them only once by Air Canada and that was only on one leg of a multi-destination trip with the same Airlines. That was because it was oversize due to being packed so full. I've never had a carry-on bag weighed before and in fact, don't remember ever seeing scales at the gate.

We weren't charged anything when we were forced to check the bags. We have also checked them in voluntarily at the gate when they offered to do it for free because the plane was full and thought the overhead bins might be full.

So, the bottom line is, I wouldn't worry about the weight until/unless the Airlines charge you more than the normal check-in fee for attempting to carry an overweight/size bag onto the plane.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:39 pm

c.coyle wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:31 am
(
midareff wrote:
c.coyle wrote:

You don't have to be "elderly or infirm" to not want to carry 40 pounds on your back down an airport concourse. Carrying a backpack with three weeks of stuff and helping your wife carry hers when you are both seniors doesn't appeal to me in the least. I'm not viewing a piece of luggage with wheels as a sign of weakness and neither are the more than 50% who check bags or wheel their stuff down the concourse.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:05 pm

I like TravelPro - not only do they hold up but their wheels can be easily replaced if they were to wear or break (not the case for Samsonite, many others).
The statement above about roller luggage being dumb if you are in shape is one of the dumbest statements I've read so far on Bogleheads :)

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:26 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am
. . . So you were specifically excluding anyone elderly (or with mobility difficulties regardless of age)?

RM
By reading the original post in the thread, in which the OP neither said nor implied that he was aged or infirm.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:32 pm

c.coyle wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:26 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am
. . . So you were specifically excluding anyone elderly (or with mobility difficulties regardless of age)?

RM
By reading the original post in the thread, in which the OP neither said nor implied that he was aged or infirm.
Absolutely correct.
And that initial post also neither stated nor implied that they were *not* aged or infirm.
That was my point.
[Also, from other posts, OP does not seem to be an unusually spring chicken, with all due respect to chickens of all seasons :D ]

RM

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 pm
+1. For your exact same reason and destination. These are semi-disposable. It's not like the old days. "Quality" luggage is too heavy and you need something that isn't an "investment," imo.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:13 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:57 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 pm
+1. For your exact same reason and destination. These are semi-disposable. It's not like the old days. "Quality" luggage is too heavy and you need something that isn't an "investment," imo.
"Semi-disposable" would almost be "great", especially if it is lighter, in part because there keep being improvements (e.g., when 2 wheels appeared... then 4 spinners... etc.).

However, getting "cheaper", if it's not as well made (and there isn't always an exact relationship between those two, price and durability, but in general, the more durable are more costly), is just asking for trouble *while* traveling.

It's bad enough to have a piece of luggage limp home with a finicky wheel.
Much worse if one of two wheels falls off during a busy portion of the trip. Ditto with a zipper failing as one rushes to pack up to head to the airport part way through a trip. Etc.

RM