Free Tire Change of Flat

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
J295

Free Tire Change of Flat

Post by J295 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 am

A while back I posted an inquiry about roadside assistance programs. We do not belong to AAA. Some of the replies advised that certain credit cards provide roadside assistance as part of the benefit package. I very much appreciated that information

I wanted to let the group know that Sams Club premium installation package includes three years of unlimited emergency tire change service with your inflated spare tire. I imagine Costco and some other organizations have similar benefits.

Given this, and the fact that Sams Club will replace most defective tires and/or repair, my plan is to use this service if needed when I am on the road, drive to a Sam’s location, and get things taken care of there.

Anyway, thought I’d share this information.

carolinaman

Re: Free Tire Change of Flat

Post by carolinaman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 am

AAA will come to where your car is when you have a flat and change it for you. This may be important to you but has great value to those who cannot change a flat, i.e. my wife and daughter. They will also come to you when you have a dead battery or have locked your keys in your car. These things do not happen often, but have happened to my family members and their service has been worthwhile for us.

Being stranded on the road is a very dangerous situation today and having a road service that will come to you when needed is important to us.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks for the info, nice as a backup. But Sams Club premium installation package is approx $20/ tire. I think I would rather have a AAA or Geico Roadside assist at $20/year to get more services if stranded somewhere.

J295

Post by J295 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 am

FYI, I don’t know whether it was because I am a plus member, or because they were running their Michelin special, but the premium package and the installation we’re both free, along with a $70 discount on the four tires I purchased. The specials run every month or two, so when I need new tires I just watch for the specials

As far as a tire change goes , the Sam’s package, as I understand it, contracts with whomever to come to your location in an emergency and change the tire and put on the spare at that emergency spot on the road

Also, I know AAA is excellent. My parents have it. Since we are down to just us two drivers in one vehicle, and have never had to use roadside assist in 30 years, we are basically self insuring, and find the Sam’s Club services to be a extra cost saver if we need it. Through nationwide Insurance, if we need services we call their 24 hour number and they send someone out, and we pay for it. Again, just self insuring by having that pay for it option available if we are stranded, but saving the money on the yearly AAA premiums.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 am

I have never had to pay for a flat repair. Sears Auto, Discount Tire, Les Schwab, etc. They all do it for free.

We have AAA. They will come out, throw the spare on. We can then take it to a tire place for repair.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:10 am

I wonder what AAA (or roadside assistance from insurance companies or credit cards, for that matter) does for cars that don't have a spare?

My recollection is that perhaps one-third of all new cars don't come with a spare tire.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:10 am
I wonder what AAA (or roadside assistance from insurance companies or credit cards, for that matter) does for cars that don't have a spare?

My recollection is that perhaps one-third of all new cars don't come with a spare tire.
One third? I find that hard to believe. Camry, Accord, F-150, Silverado/GMC probably make up 2/3 of the vehicles sold in the US. All have spares. Heck....my Wrangler not only has a spare....it's a full size matching spare on a matching alloy wheel. Sure....there's no spare in a Lotus or Porsche or BMW Z4. But that's what? 0.02% of cars sold?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:26 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 am
CardinalRule wrote:

One third? I find that hard to believe. Camry, Accord, F-150, Silverado/GMC probably make up 2/3 of the vehicles sold in the US. All have spares. Heck....my Wrangler not only has a spare....it's a full size matching spare on a matching alloy wheel. Sure....there's no spare in a Lotus or Porsche or BMW Z4. But that's what? 0.02% of cars sold?
It does seem to be getting more common for cars to not have spare tires. I noticed that even new Ford Mustang's have to pay $400 for an optional spare tire. I know I would check that box. It's a sports car sure, but hardly exotic

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 am
AAA will come to where your car is when you have a flat and change it for you. This may be important to you but has great value to those who cannot change a flat, i.e. my wife and daughter. They will also come to you when you have a dead battery or have locked your keys in your car. These things do not happen often, but have happened to my family members and their service has been worthwhile for us.

Being stranded on the road is a very dangerous situation today and having a road service that will come to you when needed is important to us.
+1 . We have been AAA members for 30 years. We have the plus RV service. Company will tow the truck and toyhauler if we are disabled. A huge piece of mind when we are in a unfamiliar area.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Ironically the percentage I was remembering seems to have originated with AAA itself. I wonder if the percentage is based on the number of brands and models, rather than the number of vehicle units on the road? :confused I was shopping for a BMW 3-Series last year (ended up not getting one) and they all seemed to have run-flat tires, with no spare.

https://www.cars.com/articles/got-a-spa ... 697605296/
bh7785 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:26 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:

It does seem to be getting more common for cars to not have spare tires. I noticed that even new Ford Mustang's have to pay $400 for an optional spare tire. I know I would check that box. It's a sports car sure, but hardly exotic

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:

A coworker discovered his Dodge Dart did not have a spare tire when he hit a curb in a distant city on a late night business trip.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 pm

carolinaman wrote:

Yes - had one experience where there was a big problem getting the flat off the car. Took lots of tugging and pulling to do it - which AAA did.

True story - when DW and I got married (40+ years ago) I forced my wife to learn to change the tire - full sized spare. She did it successfully one time ( to show me - not a flat).

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 pm

If you don't have a spare, they just tow. There's a good chance the tow operator may damage the low pressure sensor (if it is not already damaged) which may cost more than a small tire.

AAA

Post by AAA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm

carolinaman wrote:
AAA will come to where your car is when you have a flat and change it for you.
No I won't. :wink:

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 am

AAA wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm
carolinaman wrote:
:o :o

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:43 pm

carolinaman wrote:
This may be important to you but has great value to those who cannot change a flat, i.e. my wife and daughter.
Why can't they change a tire?

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:11 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Being stranded on the road is a very dangerous situation today
Why is this? I would say much safer than previous with advent of cell phones

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:43 pm
carolinaman wrote:
This may be important to you but has great value to those who cannot change a flat, i.e. my wife and daughter.
Why can't they change a tire?
Sounds like an "education" opportunity. See my post above about my forcing my wife to change a tire.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:18 pm

AAA wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm
carolinaman wrote:
you don't want to be part of the gig economy?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:

Not one of my vehicles has a spare....
2011 BMW 335d
2011 Nisan Murano CrossCabriolet
2018 Audi Q7

Now granted, none of those is a Camry or a F-150, but we're not talking exotics here.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:

Not one of my vehicles has a spare....
2011 BMW 335d
2011 Nisan Murano CrossCabriolet
2018 Audi Q7

Now granted, none of those is a Camry or a F-150, but we're not talking exotics here.
One benefit of older Camrys is that both of ours have full sized spare.

praxis

Post by praxis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

My wife drives mountain roads alone and takes road trips with girlfriends. She's often in areas without a cell signal so calling for emergency service is not always an option. We put a No-Seize lubricant on all her lug nuts and bought a modest sized floor jack to add to her roadside emergency box in her car. She has changed tires by herself. She bought a cross lug wrench and jumper cables. She keeps a gallon of water and a flashlight and gloves and a drop cloth also in the box.