Costco penny install sale & road hazard terms

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
susa

Costco penny install sale & road hazard terms

Post by susa »

In a couple weeks, Costco will offer 1 penny installation for Michelins (currently Bridgestones).

Does anyone have a 1st hand experience in how they actually treat customer with/when one out of four tires hits the nail on the road (or debris) and must be replaced, assuming Costco Road Hazard policy is in effect and tires are less than 12 mo ?

Do they insist that *all four tires* must be replaced or will they honor warranty for the one damaged tire?

There are quite a lot of threads here and on car forums where people claim Costco may enforce "all tires or nothing" so wondering if Road Hazard is worth it, if a separate line item purchase/price paid.

Anything else to watch out for when buying tires from Costco ?
Last edited by susa on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Re: Costco penny install sale & road hazard terms

Post by dm200 »

It has been a long, long time - but I recall having such an issue with a Costco tire and it was honored even though I had not purchased four tires.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Road hazard covers individual tires. If you buy a set and just one has a issue, just one gets replaced.
https://tires.costco.com/Footer?nodenam ... lang=en-US
sport

Post by sport »

DD had a tire fail under warranty. There was a small cost to replace it. However, they did not have that particular tire at that time and having a mis-matched pair on the same axel is not safe. So, Costco replaced the other tire at no additional charge.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

sport wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm DD had a tire fail under warranty. There was a small cost to replace it. However, they did not have that particular tire at that time and having a mis-matched pair on the same axel is not safe. So, Costco replaced the other tire at no additional charge.
:happy :happy :happy :sharebeer
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Why don't you call them?

When I had a screw in the tire that was too close to the sidewall to repair, they were going to replace that tire and the one on the other side for the cost of about half of one tire.

It turned out that the screw had not punctured the tire, so they just removed it. But I joked that I was going to run over a screw with the front tire and get all 4 replaced for the cost of one.

JT
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

I bought my current set of michelins during one of their penny installation sales as well. I got a nail a couple of months after that and they patched it at no charge. Then about a year and a half later (roughly 15k miles), I hit something that put a nice sized slit in the tire. I was less than a couple of miles from home but still couldn't make it home before it completely went flat. Anyway, costco replaced just the one tire but at a prorated amount... so I think I had to pay maybe $40... which was better than the full price.
Trism

Post by Trism »

I intended to buy tires at Costco several weeks ago, but when I went into the store and visited the tire department with a couple of questions there was no one there. I stopped back later and there were about 12 people waiting for assistance and one very busy guy working behind the counter.

Judging from the time it takes to wait in line to check out with a bottle of 12,000 ibuprofen tablets and a 40# package of bacon, imagine how long it would take you to get a tire repaired.

No thanks.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Trism wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 am I intended to buy tires at Costco several weeks ago, but when I went into the store and visited the tire department with a couple of questions there was no one there. I stopped back later and there were about 12 people waiting for assistance and one very busy guy working behind the counter.

Judging from the time it takes to wait in line to check out with a bottle of 12,000 ibuprofen tablets and a 40# package of bacon, imagine how long it would take you to get a tire repaired.

No thanks.
At our store, I’ve never stood in line more than 3 minutes. Walmart, Target, Best Buy or anywhere else the lines are 5X longer and a fraction of the speed.

So my answer to your question is probably 20 minutes.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Trism wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 am I intended to buy tires at Costco several weeks ago, but when I went into the store and visited the tire department with a couple of questions there was no one there. I stopped back later and there were about 12 people waiting for assistance and one very busy guy working behind the counter.

No thanks.
1. Use phone.
2. Make appointment.
3. Problem solved.

JT
turno77

Post by turno77 »

I plan to buy tires from Costco next time the Michelins are on sale. How do you know that they will be 1 penny installation in a couple of weeks?

Another thing to consider when buying tires from Costco is they do not do alignments, and that is recommended after new tires are installed.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

turno77 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am I plan to buy tires from Costco next time the Michelins are on sale. How do you know that they will be 1 penny installation in a couple of weeks?

Another thing to consider when buying tires from Costco is they do not do alignments, and that is recommended after new tires are installed.
If your previous tires wore evenly, there is not really a need for an alignment.

JT
barreg

Post by barreg »

We bought a new set of tires from Costco earlier this year. Two weeks later, one of the tires got a nail in it. When I took it in, they replaced that tire for free because the nail was too close to the edge of the tire to patch. The warranty only covers the damaged tire(s) and is prorated based on tire wear. Since my tires had practically no wear on them, there was no cost for them to replace the tire.
Trism

Post by Trism »

bottlecap wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:58 am

No thanks.
1. Use phone.
2. Make appointment.
3. Problem solved.

JT
I was already IN the store doing some shopping and had a couple of simple questions based on the promotion that was advertised right in front of me. I guess I could have called the store that I was standing in, but that seems kind of silly. So does making an appointment to get questions answered.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Bacchus01 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 am

No thanks.
At our store, I’ve never stood in line more than 3 minutes. Walmart, Target, Best Buy or anywhere else the lines are 5X longer and a fraction of the speed.

3 minutes? Your store must not be in Southern California.

I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I've left the parking lot without going into the store because literally every parking space was taken. Imagine if you scored a parking spot how long it would take to check out.
indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 »

susa wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 pm In a couple weeks, Costco will offer 1 penny installation for Michelins (currently Bridgestones).

Does anyone have a 1st hand experience in how they actually treat customer with/when one out of four tires hits the nail on the road (or debris) and must be replaced, assuming Costco Road Hazard policy is in effect and tires are less than 12 mo ?

Do they insist that *all four tires* must be replaced or will they honor warranty for the one damaged tire?

There are quite a lot of threads here and on car forums where people claim Costco may enforce "all tires or nothing" so wondering if Road Hazard is worth it, if a separate line item purchase/price paid.

Anything else to watch out for when buying tires from Costco ?
I got four Bridgestone tires at Costco back in the spring when they had a penny install deal.

A few months after getting the tires, one of my tires got a nail in it and the sidewall was damaged to the point where it needed to be replaced. They replaced the one tire at no cost to me. Depending on the wear on the tire damaged, I think sometimes there can be a prorated cost, but this was literally a few months after I got the tires and there was no cost.
downshiftme

Post by downshiftme »

A few months after putting 4 new Costco tires on my car, I hit a road hazard and damaged the sidewall of one. The road hazard warranty is prorated by miles, but a few months were not enough to bother with that, so they replaced the tire for free. The exact model was no longer sold, so they substituted the next higher model from the same manufacturer/line. My tires do not match, but they seem very close, and I was assured the same construction means they are not a hazard by being not identical.

They were quick to volunteer it was a covered repair and no hassle at all to honor the warranty.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Trism wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 am

No thanks.
1. Use phone.
2. Make appointment.
3. Problem solved.

JT
I was already IN the store doing some shopping and had a couple of simple questions based on the promotion that was advertised right in front of me. I guess I could have called the store that I was standing in, but that seems kind of silly. So does making an appointment to get questions answered.
Sorry things didn't go your way. I suggest Discount Tire.

JT
Gumby252

Post by Gumby252 »

bottlecap wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 pm

No thanks.
1. Use phone.
2. Make appointment.
3. Problem solved.

JT

JT
After buying tires at Costco for many years, I'll be going elsewhere next time.

Costco used to be significantly cheaper then other outlets; I don't think that is true any longer.

And the long waits in the two Costco centers near me are what has soured me. Even with an appointment, you still need to wait in line to be helpd, and that can be a very long wait to drop off, and another long wait to pick up on most weekends (only time I can go due to my work situation).

Last time I wanted an appointment for routine balance/rotation, I had to wait almost a month for a weekend slot!

So I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

I have always been very happy with the workmanship and pricing, so if waits are short at your local Costco, they are a good option. But in my area (SoCal) it is a big problem.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

turno77 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am Another thing to consider when buying tires from Costco is they do not do alignments, and that is recommended after new tires are installed.
As long as the tires being replaced have worn evenly there is no reason for an alignment. After that the tires should be rotated on a regular basis and checked for even wear each time.

My current car has over 110,000 miles and is on its second set of tires (70,000 miles on first set) and has never been aligned. The car I had before this one went 140,000 miles on two sets of tires and was never aligned.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
MnD

Post by MnD »

I've had several single tires replaced at Costco under warranty although none were going on where the other 3 tires were really worn.
They rotate to put the new tire on the rear for the first 7500 miles. If your vehicle wears tires faster on the front or rear you can use that to "even up" the newer tire or set of two newer ones by selective rotation.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Remember also that, even if plenty of treadlife remaining, "aging" tires should be replaced after about six years. I confess, though, that I go a bit longer ;)
Trism

Post by Trism »

bottlecap wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 pm

No thanks.
1. Use phone.
2. Make appointment.
3. Problem solved.

JT

JT
That's what we ended up doing. I can always drop in for a tire repair and be out in 30-45 minutes. I wouldn't dream of attempting this at Costco, and I'm not going to drive around town on the mini spare for any longer than I have to. Waiting for an appointment at Costco isn't the least bit convenient for this type of need.

Discount Tire's prices are usually better than Costco's anyway, but I'd pay a reasonable premium at Discount Tire for their superior service. I'm a fan of DT.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

No thanks.
1. Use phone.
2. Make appointment.
3. Problem solved.

JT
Your Costco is not the same as my Costco.

Phone calls are typically put on hold because the worker bees at the tire shop are busy helping customers standing in line.

In addition, they don't take appointments.

Fortunately, parking is usually not a problem and the wait time can be handled by shopping in the warehouse and nearby stores.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

I had a tire replaced because of a nail too close to the sidewall and think I paid $4.** for the prorated amount. It was no issue at all on my end.
eg1

Post by eg1 »

susa wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 pm In a couple weeks, Costco will offer 1 penny installation for Michelins (currently Bridgestones).
Can I ask where you got this info? I knew Costco would have their usual $70 off Michelin’s in September but I have been holding off for this particular penny installation to get new tires on. Do you know when the sale starts?
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Trism wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 am
Bacchus01 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 am

No thanks.

3 minutes? Your store must not be in Southern California.

I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I've left the parking lot without going into the store because literally every parking space was taken. Imagine if you scored a parking spot how long it would take to check out.
Definitely not in California. I rarely wait more than a few minutes. 3 might be an exaggeration, but <10 certainly is not.
Topic Author
susa

Post by susa »

eg1 wrote: Can I ask where you got this info? I knew Costco would have their usual $70 off Michelin’s in September but I have been holding off for this particular penny installation to get new tires on. Do you know when the sale starts?
Should be starting Sep

For comparison, BJ's Warehouse vs Costco (a random Michelin ...same tire and base price is the same), notice that BJ's already discounts both installation and rebate

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

susa wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 pm Does anyone have a 1st hand experience in how they actually treat customer with/when one out of four tires hits the nail on the road (or debris) and must be replaced, assuming Costco Road Hazard policy is in effect and tires are less than 12 mo ?
I can go one better. A year or two ago, I hit a ridiculous pothole in Chicago and popped a Pilot SuperSport. It had a slow leak from a hole in the sidewall, so I didn't notice it until I came back to the car a few hours later to find it completely flat. I drove on it (VERY slowly) for about two miles until I could get to a gas station and air it up. That gave me enough pressure to get all the way home--the TPMS light came back on as I turned down my street.

Unfortunately, when you drive on your sidewall even for a short distance at very low speeds, it wears EXTREMELY fast, and the wear went right over where the pinhole was. So I had absolutely no way to prove that the leak happened first. But Costco replaced the tire, no questions asked. It took 2-3 days because it was a special order tire, but no issues at all.

We buy ALL of our tires at Costco.
Topic Author
susa

Post by susa »

lazydavid wrote: .. for about two miles until I could get to a gas station and air it up.
Wow! (in the voice of omar..)

More amazed that you took the risk of damage to wheel as it surely changes the geometry of the metal if tire completely flat ?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Gumby252 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:52 pmAfter buying tires at Costco for many years, I'll be going elsewhere next time.

Costco used to be significantly cheaper then other outlets; I don't think that is true any longer.

And the long waits in the two Costco centers near me are what has soured me. Even with an appointment, you still need to wait in line to be helpd, and that can be a very long wait to drop off, and another long wait to pick up on most weekends (only time I can go due to my work situation).

Last time I wanted an appointment for routine balance/rotation, I had to wait almost a month for a weekend slot!

So I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

I have always been very happy with the workmanship and pricing, so if waits are short at your local Costco, they are a good option. But in my area (SoCal) it is a big problem.
You're lucky they offered you the appointment. After waiting 3 hours for a rotation, I gave up. I tried to get an appointment for a rotation, but they denied me, telling me it was for new installations only. To me, the "free rotations" are total BS. And new installations routinely take too long. Gone are the good old days when you can get tires serviced while you shop. Just not worth the time anymore for minimal savings.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

susa wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:23 am
lazydavid wrote: .. for about two miles until I could get to a gas station and air it up.
Wow! (in the voice of omar..)

More amazed that you took the risk of damage to wheel as it surely changes the geometry of the metal if tire completely flat ?
The west side of Chicago is not exactly the place you want to be hanging out at 11pm in a broken-down BMW :shock:. As I said, I drove extremely slowly and carefully--single-digit speeds, very smooth turns, and there was no wheel damage of any kind. But even if there was, Apex Race Parts (wheel manufacturer) has awesome service. If you damage one of their wheels through your own fault (hence not covered under warranty), they will replace your wheel with a new one for half price plus the $20 or so it costs to ship the bad one back. So worst case, I would have been out roughly the cost of a tow, but in reality the whole ordeal cost me only $1 for air.

I was hoping I would find a station sooner, but that was the first one I saw.