Master bathroom addition question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash

Master bathroom addition question

Post by BashDash » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi BH,
Thanks in advance to probably a silly question.

Pondering a master bathroom addition in 2-3 years. Does a master bathroom addition need to be next to/near existing bathroom for use of plumbing.

We stayed in a hotel recently that had the bathroom in a thin little hallway with a slide door that was literally behind the bed. Was wondering if this was possible without the cost being prohibitive? Thanks!

Rupert

Re: Master bathroom addition question

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:51 pm

It's not necessary that a new bathroom be next to an old one, but it could reduce the cost of the new bathroom by a lot.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 pm

BashDash wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:47 pm
Hi BH,
Pondering a master bathroom addition in 2-3 years. Does a master bathroom addition need to be next to/near existing bathroom for use of plumbing.
The longer the plumbing run the greater the cost. How much greater comes down to specifics. Some locations for a bath might be virtually impossible.
BashDash wrote:
Hi BH,
We stayed in a hotel recently that had the bathroom in a thin little hallway with a slide door that was literally behind the bed. Was wondering if this was possible without the cost being prohibitive? Thanks!
Umm, you're not planning to spend money to achieve a rather unsatisfactory solution?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:55 pm

While only owned one home, all of the houses (single family) I have lived in had all the bathrooms next to each other and/or just above or just below.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:55 pm

I didn't mean the slide door was literally behind the bed. Sorry.... I meant there was a private bathroom located behind the bed that you enter thru a slide door.

Sorry for not making any sense

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:18 pm

BashDash wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:55 pm
I didn't mean the slide door was literally behind the bed. Sorry.... I meant there was a private bathroom located behind the bed that you enter thru a slide door.
Sorry for not making any sense
BUT - I would bet that this bathroom is probably adjacent to the bathroom in the adjacent hotel room. They are probably mirror images. I also suspect that these bathrooms are located above and/or below bathrooms as well.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm

Is it cheaper to have them all near each other? Sure. Is it astronomically more expensive to have them completely remote? Nope. Our house has 4 rooms that might qualify as a bath, half bath. 2nd floor in the far southeast corner is a half bath....directly above the kitchen. Second is middle, west side of the house on the 1st floor. Then dead center of the house is the main bathroom. South of the main bath, next to the south wall is a jet tub in an addition. So there's really no wholesale sharing of much of the plumbing.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:39 pm

We have a bathroom that is behind the headboard on our bed. The plumbing in the wall between makes for extra noise in the morning if one of us wants to sleep in, but it is not too bad. At least the shower is on the other wall.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:47 pm

BashDash wrote:

More important than the plumbing, OP, are the roof and foundation. Will they accommodate an addition where you want to put it? I'd look at those issues before the plumbing.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:06 am

BashDash wrote:
...Pondering a master bathroom addition in 2-3 years. Does a master bathroom addition need to be next to/near existing bathroom for use of plumbing...
IMHO, what matters the most is the drain lines. If it is easy to hook these up you are good. If the bathroom is being added on an existing concrete slab, you are hurting.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 am

I have seen very high end homes where there is a bathroom behind the headboard/nightstands with his and her doors on either side leading to a bath/closet area. It has a very luxurious feel and it takes up a lot of square footage. If there are dressing rooms on either side you can go a long way towards eliminating traditional dressers in the bedroom itself if that's the look you want. It's a decision decision that drives a lot of other factors. If you are planning one door on one side the space can be made more compact.

Foundation, roof, and sewage connection are big factors in the construction cost. If you have a flat roof on a slab foundation you may find you only have expensive and very expensive choices unless you are lucky. If you have a single story on a full basement it can be much easier to pull in utilities.