Recent Trip to Naples, Italy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
seychellois_lib

Recent Trip to Naples, Italy

Post by seychellois_lib »

Just completed a trip to Italy to visit my USN Son stationed in Naples. We spent the better part of our time in the Naples area, Salerno, Amalphi Coast, Procida and Ischia. We also went to visit relatives in Paris and London.

Naples seems to have and "avoid" rating on this forum. It definately has it's downsides (dirt and trash primarily) but, if you are NOT dying to see the big sights, then I think Naples and surrounding are quite interesting and can be very beautiful and relatively inexpensive. Proceda was wonderful, we rented a small VRBO right on the water in Corricella for about $100 a night.

The problem with Italy and the others is crowds. My Wife and I have been to Rome before but she insisted we visit again as part of our return trip. The crowds are nuts. All of the "sights" were overrun, completely overrun. I was amazed at the impact low cost air travel has had over the last 20 years.

We had to escape to the back streets and enjoyed an afternoon at a small cafe. But the main touristic spots such as Colosio, Pantehon, Tivoli...forget it.

IMO the less highly regarded Naples is the way to experience a bit of Southern Italy. The evening walkabout in Salerno is amazing. You and half of the city stroll about the downtown area taking in the evening, really a wonderful experience.

I would say ditto on the tourist situation in London and in Paris. I had been to London years ago, this visit was a letdown. Previous Paris experience was flythrough so this was my first visit to the city. Crowds, crowds, crowds. I don't think I will go again.
gtd98765

Re: Recent Trip to Naples, Italy

Post by gtd98765 »

I visited Naples in February from a much colder place and thought it was terrific. I really enjoyed the Naples Underground tour (https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/na ... derground/) and marveled at the 2000-year-old engineering. Pompeii was fascinating. The residents I met were nice. The food was good (Naples is the home of pizza!). I agree it is much less crowded than Rome. It is well worth a visit.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

I like Naples too and I think it gets a bit of a bad rap. I went there with my son, my parents (in their 70s/80s), my sister and niece as part of a long trip to Italy last year. Yes it is rough around the edges in places but we never felt insecure (we used the metro and the well worn Circumvisuviana line). In addition to Pompeii, there are numerous other archaeological sites to visit some which are less crowded. We enjoyed Herculaneum and Villa Poppaea was very cool and we had the entire place to ourselves one afternoon in June.

I had also visited two times previously and found it fine as well.

Also I love visiting southern Europe now in winter or early Spring if travelling by myself. The weather can be cool (which I prefer) and the crowds are almost non-existent.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

If you go a little further south, there is the most beautiful amalfi coast. Start from Sorrento. I will play Pavarotti's Back to Sorrento while driving a Fiat Panda all the way down south.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Thanks for the review. I will be in Naples in November (I've spent a couple days there previously, but looking to do different things). If you go to those major tourist cities in Sept-May you will generally experience much smaller crowds. I don't think you need to ignore them altogether.
navyitaly

Post by navyitaly »

Since I was stationed there for 3.5years, I’m guessing you walked over to the CAPO base and checked out Support Site too..shocked on the secrets the government owns like SS w nobody knowing about it?
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I was there a long time ago (mid 1990s?) for about 4-5 days for work and couldn't wait to leave. I just found the non-stop traffic, car horns, pollution, etc. to be very stressful. Obviously not long. Then I went to a Naval base in Spain (Rota) and felt like I was in paradise. The city around the base was very calm and the sites very nice. I have been to northern Italy (Milan, Bergamo, Lake Cuomo) and really enjoyed my time there.

Obviously everyone has their preferences (I'm not a NYC person either).
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I would like to go back to Naples. The last time we were there was right after we were married. We took the train from Rome, then hopped a ferry to Capri for the day, then a late train back. So, not much time actually in Naples. We were returning to the train station, and weren't 100% sure of our way back, and asked directions from some Navy MPs, who were patrolling the bars. Nice guys and very helpful.

I'd like to come back to experience the city some, and at least visit Pompeii, then some time down the Amalfi coast.

I agree with the comments about crowds. Rome doesn't bother me much. You can always get away. I've been to the Vatican probably five times, and that's usually the worst. The one improvement is timed tickets. You used to have to line up, then wait hours to get in. But Florence and Venice are overwhelmed with crowds.
Topic Author
seychellois_lib

gtd98765 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm I visited Naples in February from a much colder place and thought it was terrific. I really enjoyed the Naples Underground tour (https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/na ... derground/) and marveled at the 2000-year-old engineering. Pompeii was fascinating. The residents I met were nice. The food was good (Naples is the home of pizza!). I agree it is much less crowded than Rome. It is well worth a visit.
We visited the underground too. Very interesting. Shame on me for not remembering the history of Allied bombing of Naples during WWII. The underground was used as an air raid shelter. It was rather humorous when we got to the model bomb hanging from the ceiling - apparently there was one venetelation shaft left open during the war and the "stage" bomb was hanging just below it. We took the tour with a diverse group from all over the world. I was the ony one who admitted to being an American when the tour guide mentioned the bomb and the bombing. I piped up and said "sorry about that". Most of the crowd chuckled. I assume most were well aware of the reason for the bombing.

We did visit the Amalfi Coast for a few days. Very beautiful but overrun with tourists like us. I much preferred the little island of Procida which was an inexpensive ferry ride from Pozzouli where my Son lives. Procida was much less crowded.

I only visited my Son's Navy base from the outside. I was not particularly interested having been a Navy guy myself many moons ago.

If you are a sailor like I am you will be impressed by the possibilities in the Gulf of Naples. It looks like a fantastic place to do some exploring in a sailboat.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

I would move to Naples just to eat the buffalo mozzarella every day for the rest of my life.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 pm Thanks for the review. I will be in Naples in November (I've spent a couple days there previously, but looking to do different things). If you go to those major tourist cities in Sept-May you will generally experience much smaller crowds. I don't think you need to ignore them altogether.
+1

My husband and I never go to Europe June - September. We're planning a trip to Venice in February. Have been there in winter before and enjoyed it thoroughly!
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Thanks for the tips we are in Naples and the Amalfi Coast and Capri in the fall on a walking tour. :beer
Gort

Post by Gort »

Tdubs wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:32 pm I would move to Naples just to eat the buffalo mozzarella every day for the rest of my life.
Yes! Makes for the best Caprese salad in the world!!
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Gort wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm
Tdubs wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:32 pm I would move to Naples just to eat the buffalo mozzarella every day for the rest of my life.
Heck yeah. I think I ate a Caprese salad at every meal. I still remember my kids biting into their first Naples pizza, it was like a religious conversion experience. They still say it was the best meal they ever had.
Topic Author
seychellois_lib

Gort wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:35 pm
Ditto. My Son introduced us to buffalo mozzarella....fantastic!!