Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
FB01
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 am

Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by FB01 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am

Hi,

On the freeways, I see this sign "Speed checked by Radar" but I do not see any drones or planes above. How does this work? If someone goes beyond speed limit, the person's car is noticed by some thing which is flying and he gets ticketed by Cop who is waiting ahead..

-JR

User avatar
Raymond
Posts: 1295
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Raymond » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 am

Maybe a ground radar unit, either fixed in place, or mobile on a trailer.

Or just a state trooper vehicle with a radar unit behind the "Burma Shave" signs ?
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Rupert
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 am

Those signs don't mean that speed is checked by radar 24/7. They just mean that your speed may be checked by radar -- usually from inside an officer's car -- at some time. State Troopers usually have radar guns mounted on both the front and rear dashboards of their cars so they can monitor vehicles moving in both directions. In some states, there is a law that requires posting this notice before speed may be checked by radar. They're really relics of a bygone era when checking speed by radar was new technology. States have either not changed their laws or have just left up the signs to encourage folks to slow down.
Last edited by Rupert on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by heartwood » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 am

FB01 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am
Hi,

On the freeways, I see this sign "Speed checked by Radar" but I do not see any drones or planes above. How does this work? If someone goes beyond speed limit, the person's car is noticed by some thing which is flying and he gets ticketed by Cop who is waiting ahead..

-JR
My guess it's just a heads-up advisement that a marked or unmarked car is using a radar gun. I see police cars with visible radar guns frequently while travelling.

As an aside, whatever happened to radar detectors? I don't recall a mention of them in years. Cars today have so many add ons like smart cruise control, lane change avoidance, etc. Where's the radar detector option? seems like it would be a tweek of one of those systems.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8021
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:21 am

If you see a trooper parked in the median he might be checking your speed, and he's probably already got it before you see him and slow down.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by heartwood » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 am

I've also read recently about license plate readers on police cars that read licenses on both sides of the street and search for outstanding violations. THen another article about a US city that was installing license plate readers atop all street lights, effectively identifying any car travelling the city streets.

Not the one I remember, but they're everywhere: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /27156201/

open_circuit
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by open_circuit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am

I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?

randomguy
Posts: 6502
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 am

heartwood wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 am
FB01 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am
Hi,

On the freeways, I see this sign "Speed checked by Radar" but I do not see any drones or planes above. How does this work? If someone goes beyond speed limit, the person's car is noticed by some thing which is flying and he gets ticketed by Cop who is waiting ahead..

-JR
My guess it's just a heads-up advisement that a marked or unmarked car is using a radar gun. I see police cars with visible radar guns frequently while travelling.

As an aside, whatever happened to radar detectors? I don't recall a mention of them in years. Cars today have so many add ons like smart cruise control, lane change avoidance, etc. Where's the radar detector option? seems like it would be a tweek of one of those systems.
Well it would make your car illegal in a bunch of states;) They are still out there and fans but you need a high end model or every car with adapative cruise control sets off your alarm:) The switch to instant on radar and lasers also drastically reduced the value. And Waze helps you find speed traps without having the cop measure your speed.

Hmm how about a self driving car that slows down based on waze data:)

randomguy
Posts: 6502
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:47 am

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
Aircraft tells a cop on the ground about your crime spree and they pull you over and give you a ticket. Call it half the work.

I always figure that the signs are more for deterrence than anything else.

themesrob
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by themesrob » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 am

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
Frequently seen on 295 in NJ -- a chopper hangs over the highway and measures speed, and then radios down to a state trooper in a car just down the road to say "pull over the [insert vehicle], going 85." Seems pretty cost inefficient on the one hand, but for places where people speed and there's no good place to set up a speed trap where it wouldn't be super obvious (or the cosine effect wouldn't throw off the accuracy of the radar), it makes sense.

User avatar
Ketawa
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 am
Location: DC

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Ketawa » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am

In the DC area, "speed checked by radar" seems to mean there is potential for a cop's vehicle to catch you.

It is distinct from "speed checked by photo", which indicates there is a stationary speed trap coming up. You'll get a ticket in the mail if you are 10 mph or more over the speed limit. The Waze app is also helpful for avoiding speed traps. Everyone on the road knows they are coming up and slows down, likely creating a situation that is more dangerous than letting everyone keep up the flow of traffic, especially for visitors who don't drive these roads regularly.

I've always been skeptical of the "speed checked by aircraft" signs, but apparently some departments actually are spending gobs of money on aircraft to issue speeding tickets based on other posts in the thread.

bampf
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by bampf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am

Are speed limits relevant in the era of self driving vehicles?

alfaspider
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by alfaspider » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am


I've always been skeptical of the "speed checked by aircraft" signs, but apparently some departments actually are spending gobs of money on aircraft to issue speeding tickets based on other posts in the thread.
I usually see those signs in the middle of nowhere. My guess is they are mostly a deterrent to people thinking, "hey, I'm in the middle of nowhere, I can really open it up because nobody's around."

jehovasfitness
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
yeah, I'm 99% sure those are BS

alfaspider
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by alfaspider » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am

bampf wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am
Are speed limits relevant in the era of self driving vehicles?
When that day comes I wouldn't be surprised if maximum speeds are required to be put into the vehicles's programming. That would make it a true "limit" rather than a stern suggestion with a potential penalty.

epoxyresin
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:23 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by epoxyresin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:04 am

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am
Ketawa wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am


I've always been skeptical of the "speed checked by aircraft" signs, but apparently some departments actually are spending gobs of money on aircraft to issue speeding tickets based on other posts in the thread.
I usually see those signs in the middle of nowhere. My guess is they are mostly a deterrent to people thinking, "hey, I'm in the middle of nowhere, I can really open it up because nobody's around."
As a kid, I always imagined a missile coming out of nowhere to teach the scofflaws a lesson. To date, I have yet to see it happen, but somewhere in my body I still hold out hope.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3040
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am
open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
yeah, I'm 99% sure those are BS
99% of the time they are BS but in the St. Louis area there are (or at least used to be when i was growing up there) white blocks painted in certain stretches of highway maybe a quarter or half a mile apart. They can time you from a Cessna or something between the blocks to calculate your speed. Sometimes you'd come over a hill on an interstate and see about 5 highway patrol cars lined up waiting for the radio call from the airplane and another 5 a few hundred yards after that dealing with the violators.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

HoosierJim
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 am

There are speed cameras, redlight cameras in Illinois. Also have speed checked by Radar.

Image

jebmke
Posts: 8425
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by jebmke » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
Hellfire missiles
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

vtjon
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by vtjon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am
open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
yeah, I'm 99% sure those are BS
This was a real thing in VA which is why the signs were put up. It was a program in the early 00s where the state troopers would have one crew in the airplane and one in a car. There were/are horizontal lines on the interstate so they could calculate the speed. This plan was eventually killed due to budget cuts so I don't think they are flying anymore. However, the signs are still on the interstates and I assume the laws on the books.

open_circuit
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by open_circuit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:52 am

vtjon wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 am
jehovasfitness wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am
open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
yeah, I'm 99% sure those are BS
This was a real thing in VA which is why the signs were put up. It was a program in the early 00s where the state troopers would have one crew in the airplane and one in a car. There were/are horizontal lines on the interstate so they could calculate the speed. This plan was eventually killed due to budget cuts so I don't think they are flying anymore. However, the signs are still on the interstates and I assume the laws on the books.
Yeah, I understand how aircraft monitored systems worked. I was kind of poking fun at the fact that the aircraft can't enforce, but only monitor / measure. Need a man on the ground to actually follow through, unless the airplane is going to deploy active countermeasures, like the hellfire missile response.
:sharebeer

Turbo29
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Turbo29 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:18 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am
open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
yeah, I'm 99% sure those are BS
Don't know about other states but when I lived in California the CHP used planes on I-5 between Los Angeles and San Francisco constantly. For at least the last 30 or so years.

Determined
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Determined » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:20 am

My son just got a ticket notice in the mail yesterday. 66 in a 50 with photos of his platers. There is an affidavit you can submit if it wasn't you driving.

Turbo29
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Turbo29 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:27 am

Determined wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:20 am
My son just got a ticket notice in the mail yesterday. 66 in a 50 with photos of his platers. There is an affidavit you can submit if it wasn't you driving.
In my state you throw those in the trash. A process server may attempt to serve you (~50% chance). So, you don't answer your door for about two months and you check the court website to make sure the server didn't try to serve you and lie and say he was successful. Usually works.

YMMV.. all states have different laws.
Last edited by Turbo29 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsmclone
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by dsmclone » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:22 pm

If you are in Iowa and you see "traffic laws photo enforced" slow down to 9 mph over and you'll be fine. Everywhere you see this in Iowa, there is a speed camera close by that will send you a ticket in the mail. The good thing is that there are only a handful in the state.

As far as radar detectors:

I have a 10 year old Valentine One, which use to be the best. Right now, the Uniden R3 is the best bang for the buck. As far as whether they are still useful.

K Band-This is the very only band that is rarely used. This is also the band that is triggered by about everything. I turn this band off.
Laser-This is used and I've been ticketed by them but they still don't make up the majority. Unlike the other bands, your radar detector probably won't see this until it's too late. I also turn off this band. If I had a Uniden R3, I'd probably leave it on.
KA Band-When people say "instant-on", this is what they are talking about. In most states this is by far the most common and in the 15+ years of using a radar detector, I've never have had a false-positive. If this goes off it means that a cop is around. These can pick up from a very long distance and your best bet is that the cops are taking measurements of people ahead or behind you, which will trigger your detector. This probably saves me 5 times a year.
The Uniden will also warn you about red light/speed cameras.

One big key to not getting a ticket and should be followed regardless, is to stay out of the passing lane. Use it to pass, as intended, and then move back over. Driving in the passing lane makes you a huge target.

andypanda
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by andypanda » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:37 pm

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/03/speed ... -virginia/

Virginia stopped the aircraft ticketing program in 2012 due to a lack of funds. Each airplane cost $150/hour to operate. But we still have 425 signs...

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4187
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by whodidntante » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:22 pm
If you are in Iowa and you see "traffic laws photo enforced" slow down to 9 mph over and you'll be fine. Everywhere you see this in Iowa, there is a speed camera close by that will send you a ticket in the mail. The good thing is that there are only a handful in the state.

As far as radar detectors:

I have a 10 year old Valentine One, which use to be the best. Right now, the Uniden R3 is the best bang for the buck. As far as whether they are still useful.

K Band-This is the very only band that is rarely used. This is also the band that is triggered by about everything. I turn this band off.
Laser-This is used and I've been ticketed by them but they still don't make up the majority. Unlike the other bands, your radar detector probably won't see this until it's too late. I also turn off this band. If I had a Uniden R3, I'd probably leave it on.
KA Band-When people say "instant-on", this is what they are talking about. In most states this is by far the most common and in the 15+ years of using a radar detector, I've never have had a false-positive. If this goes off it means that a cop is around. These can pick up from a very long distance and your best bet is that the cops are taking measurements of people ahead or behind you, which will trigger your detector. This probably saves me 5 times a year.
The Uniden will also warn you about red light/speed cameras.

One big key to not getting a ticket and should be followed regardless, is to stay out of the passing lane. Use it to pass, as intended, and then move back over. Driving in the passing lane makes you a huge target.
In my area some local cops still use K band so I Ieave it on. Ka is usually a cop. I've never had an X band positive detection though.

I'm in the market for a uniden r3 now that every semi nice car emits radar.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by munemaker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am

I've always been skeptical of the "speed checked by aircraft" signs, but apparently some departments actually are spending gobs of money on aircraft to issue speeding tickets based on other posts in the thread.
Intuitively, enforcing speed from the air would seem to cost more than the revenue they generate. I am thinking this is an unusual occurrence and is there to scare you.

Nicolas
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Nicolas » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3524
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by munemaker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Raymond wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 am
Maybe a ground radar unit, either fixed in place, or mobile on a trailer.

Or just a state trooper vehicle with a radar unit behind the "Burma Shave" signs ?
or a local yokel behind a tree:

Image

jminv
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:58 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by jminv » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:21 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm
In my area some local cops still use K band so I Ieave it on. Ka is usually a cop. I've never had an X band positive detection though.

I'm in the market for a uniden r3 now that every semi nice car emits radar.
I had a positive X band hit once in a beach town. Had never had a positive one before but it kept on getting stronger and stronger and going on for a long time until I saw him (you can detect these far, far away which is probably why they're so rare now). Anyway, in case you ever experience something similar, it's could be a real positive.
Last edited by jminv on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emoore
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by emoore » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am
bampf wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am
Are speed limits relevant in the era of self driving vehicles?
When that day comes I wouldn't be surprised if maximum speeds are required to be put into the vehicles's programming. That would make it a true "limit" rather than a stern suggestion with a potential penalty.
If speed limits are implemented in self driving vehicles, cities and states are going to be losing a lot of revenue from traffic fines. I wonder how they will handle that.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2292
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 pm

emoore wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am
bampf wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am
Are speed limits relevant in the era of self driving vehicles?
When that day comes I wouldn't be surprised if maximum speeds are required to be put into the vehicles's programming. That would make it a true "limit" rather than a stern suggestion with a potential penalty.
If speed limits are implemented in self driving vehicles, cities and states are going to be losing a lot of revenue from traffic fines. I wonder how they will handle that.
In my area they have done it by establishing a drug-interdiction unit to patrol the highway for the real purpose of seizing civil assets. I liked the old speeding ticket method better even though it was more costly to me.

TropikThunder
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by TropikThunder » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:27 am
Determined wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:20 am
My son just got a ticket notice in the mail yesterday. 66 in a 50 with photos of his platers. There is an affidavit you can submit if it wasn't you driving.
In my state you throw those in the trash. A process server may attempt to serve you (~50% chance). So, you don't answer your door for about two months and you check the court website to make sure the server didn't try to serve you and lie and say he was successful. Usually works.

YMMV.. all states have different laws.
That works until the jurisdiction sends it to collections and it dings your credit. Or you can’t renew your license or vehicle tabs. But like you said, YMMV.

dsmclone
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by dsmclone » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 pm

emoore wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am
bampf wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am
Are speed limits relevant in the era of self driving vehicles?
When that day comes I wouldn't be surprised if maximum speeds are required to be put into the vehicles's programming. That would make it a true "limit" rather than a stern suggestion with a potential penalty.
If speed limits are implemented in self driving vehicles, cities and states are going to be losing a lot of revenue from traffic fines. I wonder how they will handle that.
I think people will have the option to speed in self driving cars. I assume they will have a limit just like when you use your cruise control. I don't believe my adaptive cruise will work at over 90mph. If I set it for 85mph it also leaves a lot more room for breaking, which is appropriate. In a perfect world, all cars would be self driving and they could go 100+ mph and the cities could get rid of a lot of stoplights.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by lthenderson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm

FB01 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am
On the freeways, I see this sign "Speed checked by Radar" but I do not see any drones or planes above. How does this work? If someone goes beyond speed limit, the person's car is noticed by some thing which is flying and he gets ticketed by Cop who is waiting ahead..
Our town put up one of those signs on every road entering town right before they got a speed car with cameras that they randomly park around town to catch speeders. According to the local police deputy, that is their was of saying you've been notified so if you get caught, you can't claim you didn't know about it.

MrDrinkingWater
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by MrDrinkingWater » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:19 pm

The use of aircraft to patrol is more likely about providing service to all citizens, not just catching speeders.

An officer/pilot can easily patrol many hundreds of miles more per day than an officer in a prowl car. With cellular service so great along so many highways, we probably don't think about this much anymore, but a patrol aircraft can likely "patrol" at 120 MPH and more quickly identify where patrol cars and wreckers need to be dispatched to aid stranded motorists, as well as assess what additional resources should be quickly dispatched to situations observed.
munemaker wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm
Ketawa wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am

I've always been skeptical of the "speed checked by aircraft" signs, but apparently some departments actually are spending gobs of money on aircraft to issue speeding tickets based on other posts in the thread.
Intuitively, enforcing speed from the air would seem to cost more than the revenue they generate. I am thinking this is an unusual occurrence and is there to scare you.

researcher
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by researcher » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 pm
A guy who sold me a car once told me he was caught speeding by an aircraft. He said he had a radar detector which was of course useless in this case. In my state some highways have very broad perpendicular white stripes drawn at intervals to enable timing from above. In any case it is illegal to speed and no one should be doing it at any time.
I've been caught speeding by aircraft. The plane flies up/down a section of highway timing cars as they pass.
Waiting police officers stand on the roadway, pointing at the speeders to pull over, handing out tickets to multiple offenders as a time.

You are correct about the road markings.
White hash marks painted at regular intervals on the road is a clear indication that it is patrolled by aircraft.

likegarden
Posts: 2698
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by likegarden » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Nobody needed to check my speed and give me a ticket for speeding today. I drove interstate 88 in NY state and the road was so bad I did not dare to drive the 65 limit, did only 55. State saved money by not fixing and put signs 'Bad Road' up.

Determined
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by Determined » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:15 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Turbo29 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:27 am
Determined wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:20 am
My son just got a ticket notice in the mail yesterday. 66 in a 50 with photos of his platers. There is an affidavit you can submit if it wasn't you driving.
In my state you throw those in the trash. A process server may attempt to serve you (~50% chance). So, you don't answer your door for about two months and you check the court website to make sure the server didn't try to serve you and lie and say he was successful. Usually works.

YMMV.. all states have different laws.
That works until the jurisdiction sends it to collections and it dings your credit. Or you can’t renew your license or vehicle tabs. But like you said, YMMV.
I am not about to suggest to my 22 year old that he throw it in the trash.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by bertilak » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Image
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

bberris
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Sign - Speed checked by Radar

Post by bberris » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:23 pm

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am
I like the ones that say "enforced by aircraft". I've always wondered how the aircraft plans to stop a speeding vehicle, rather than simply monitor it?
I think maybe you have never driven on the outskirts of Alexandria, Louisiana? This was many years ago, but I was one of a line of 20 cars pulled over. By local patrol using wheels, not staties. And I don't remember the courtesy of such a sign.

Post Reply