Adult piggy bank

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
shell921

Re: Adult piggy bank

Post by shell921 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 pm

likegarden wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:31 pm
I use a doubled up plastic sandwich bag in a pocket of my car as a piggy bank. pay at fast food places from it,
Great idea !!
:beer

ETFwhisperer

Post by ETFwhisperer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm

I have a small snifter glass full of spare change on my desk at home. I guess that's pretty "adult". It fills up maybe one or twice a year, usually about $15-20 worth. I take it to Coinstar and get an Amazon gift card, since there's no fee for those and I buy most things online.
"Experience was of no ethical value. It was merely the name we gave to our mistakes." --Oscar Wilde

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 am

I have some old Costco-sized vitamin bottles that hold a lot. I have one for just quarters, one for pennies, and nickels/dimes together but I should separate them. They're discreet sitting on a dresser -- I doubt a burglar would go "Oh boy, vitamins! I've been really feeling the scurvy lately," and snatch all me quarters. And durable plastic that won't shatter.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:58 am

I love it when one solution does double-duty. In this case: "Pay yourself first."
--Set-up or increase the DD (direct-deposit) from your pay into your investment mmkt.
--You will pay yourself first, and you be scrounging to use your spare change to make ends meet. So you'll have no spare change to mess with.

Rebalance your investment mmkt the first of each month after your reconcile your monthly statements (checking, savings, investing).

I have a small peanut butter jar in the vehicle center console that I use for small change. That change is used for tolls and small purchases. When that jar gets near empty, it's refilled from a larger peanut butter jar in the laundry room. Both jars have been only half-full for 30 years.

If either jar begins to get full, it means I'm not "paying myself first" enough.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 am

"If you are serious about saving money or getting control of your financial life, get over these psychological issues.
At least start handling them head on.

You can't run a marathon with crutches."

www.runnersworld.com/news/a21267745/amp ... -crutches/

"Even after a wound left him unable to use his prosthetic, he found a way to finish."

A 56-mile ultra.

And of course they make piggy banks for adults. I just googled up a bunch of them.