Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1559
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Returned some shoes that didn't fit. The store (Eastbay) said they were unsaleable (tiny speck of dust) which was not true and returned them to me. I filed a claim with Citi and Citi is not cooperating. Debating about closing my Citi account with the balance of the charge ($100) as the shoes are useless as is their return/purchase protection policy. Not really worth wrecking my credit score but I am very unsatisfied with both companies and their policy. Even wrote them a letter. Any other experiences with return/purchase protection not being helpful? How would you proceed in this case? Maybe I need to go back to Chase and AMEX.
Last edited by Alexa9 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BogleMelon
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm

I am not sure if you have a question or you just giving us heads up about the bank practices, but I personally have 2 opposite experiences with Citi Card.
1- I disputed an amount, and the chat representative immediately honored the amount (probably the bank ate it since it was small amount)
2- I tried to use the card to book on Expedia a flight, and failed. Called the CS and they confirmed they processed it, Expedia insisted it didn't go through. I ended up using my other Chase visa Amazon card with no issue. same thing happened with Booking.com a day later! I then found the ticket and hotel amount on hold in Citi reducing my overall spending limit. it was gone after 2 weeks, but just was inconvenience that I decided never use Citi again for something big.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

michaeljc70
Posts: 3541
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:56 pm

I have had mixed results in disputes and that is across many different types of credit cards from Amex, Discover, MC and Visa. In general, it seems like unless the merchant defrauded you, they side with the merchant. If you buy things online, the merchant will point to their TOS which is obviously very tilted in their favor. They provide their TOS to the credit card company, end of story. If you order something and don't get it, it is the wrong item or something like that and are unable to resolve it with the merchant directly, then a dispute has a good chance.

I lost a dispute with Discover in which the online travel company posted the incorrect cancellation terms (what they listed was not the same terms as the cruise line). That was almost $1000. I stopped using Discover after providing them the information on the website and when I cancelled, etc. and losing the dispute. I was able to recover the money through the travel agency through another means (that's a whole other story).

User avatar
VA_Gent
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by VA_Gent » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Some Important Details :

Eligible purchases you paid for in full with your Citi card.

You may be asked to return the item, should your claim be approved. When returning the item, it must be received in like-new and good working condition with all the original parts.


Maybe that is why.


I have nothing but good things to say about this card. I have had a canceled trip reimbursed and close to $1,000 of price rewind protection over the years with not a single problem. Their fraud protection is top notch, and don't forget the 2% cash back on everything.
"In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable." - Robert Arnott

rantk81
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by rantk81 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:58 pm

My Citi Doublecash card is my "daily workhorse" of a credit card. I have nothing but great things to say about it, the rewards process, and the price rewind feature. I've never done a dispute with Citi, though. I think they probably sided with the merchant in your case because the seller claimed the item was not returned in like-new condition. (Whether or not this claim by the seller is a lie, is another matter.... Maybe next time, document the item's condition as you are packaging it up to return?)

I've had excellent results in the past making a claim with Amex for their extended warranty benefit.

My only "significant" dispute was for about $70 on an online subscription to a NHL hockey video streaming package. In a prior year, their service degraded significantly mid-season, and I took screenshots of their own customer-support forum, which was just an endless sea of complaints about the service not working. Despite the TOS saying that all sales were final and the charge for the season wouldn't be pro-rated, Discover sided with ME, and charged back the merchant for a prorated part of the package.

Extensive and correct documentation is always the key.

Nate79
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by Nate79 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Closing the account and ignoring/refusing to pay the credit card balance is a HORRIBLE idea. When this wrecks your credit as they send it to collections you may regret this choice. I would contact Citi again and try to dispute the charges. Contact the shoe store on social media and see if you can get an resolution. Contact the store's corporate headquarters and see if you have any options.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3541
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Did you send Citi a picture of the shoes? It seems that it should be pretty easy to determine if they were used.

MichCPA
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by MichCPA » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:19 pm
Returned some shoes that didn't fit. The store (Eastbay) said they were unsaleable (tiny speck of dust) which was not true and returned them to me. I filed a claim with Citi and Citi is not cooperating. Debating about closing my Citi account with the balance of the charge ($100) as the shoes are useless as is their return/purchase protection policy. Not really worth wrecking my credit score but I am very unsatisfied with both companies and their policy. Even wrote them a letter. Any other experiences with return/purchase protection not being helpful? How would you proceed in this case? Maybe I need to go back to Chase and AMEX.
You cannot close an account with a balance. The card will stop working, but the liability won't go anywhere. Based on the language in the cardholder agreement, you are not likely to get a credit bureau to remove a non payment of this account. Your best option is to pay and just not use the card again. Closing the account and not paying would both damage your credit.

Jags4186
Posts: 2454
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm
I am not sure if you have a question or you just giving us heads up about the bank practices, but I personally have 2 opposite experiences with Citi Card.
1- I disputed an amount, and the chat representative immediately honored the amount (probably the bank ate it since it was small amount)
2- I tried to use the card to book on Expedia a flight, and failed. Called the CS and they confirmed they processed it, Expedia insisted it didn't go through. I ended up using my other Chase visa Amazon card with no issue. same thing happened with Booking.com a day later! I then found the ticket and hotel amount on hold in Citi reducing my overall spending limit. it was gone after 2 weeks, but just was inconvenience that I decided never use Citi again for something big.
While I can’t say that wasn’t the case you for, in my experience any chargeback amount approved by Citi will result in Citi deducting the money from the merchant’s account. I ordered some stuff from Amazon and they split the charge up. I had like a $75 charge and one for $6.XX. I (incorrectly) disputed the $6.XX charge with Citi because I couldn’t figure out what the $6.XX charge was for via their app. I received an instant “this has been resolved in your favor” notification. Great I thought. Within 6 hours I received an e-mail from Amazon saying that Citi had pulled back $6.XX and if I wanted anything from Amazon again I would need to make them whole.

inbox788
Posts: 5478
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by inbox788 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Who did you write the letter to?

Eastbay is part of Footlocker (NYSE FL) (formerly Woolworth - still operating in some other parts of the world). You could escalate the matter up to corporate (not customer service) if it's worth your time/trouble or you can boycott the whole corporation or both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_Locker

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1559
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Who did you write the letter to?

Eastbay is part of Footlocker (NYSE FL) (formerly Woolworth - still operating in some other parts of the world). You could escalate the matter up to corporate (not customer service) if it's worth your time/trouble or you can boycott the whole corporation or both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_Locker
Good to know. Wrote the letter to Citi. Didn't even consider complaining higher up to Eastbay as I thought Citi would easily side with me. At this point I’m going to keep dealing with Citi. Obviously I won’t be using Eastbay again. Maybe I’m spoiled with the ease of Amazon’s return policy.

Trism
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by Trism » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:56 am

There are only a limited number of circumstances where closing a credit card will hurt your credit score, most of which involve carrying high balances on the subject card and/or other cards, which is very un-BH.

My FICO 8 scores are currently in the 830s across the board. I've closed two cards in the past 45 days.

Lots of credit myths out there...

nalor511
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Return Protection: Citi Doublecash

Post by nalor511 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Just so you know, return protection is not the same as a dispute. You actually have to tell the rep you want to file a Return Protection claim, and it's a separate process that gets approved by a separate department (it's not a dispute, it's a return protection claim). It's the same with Warranty Extension, it's not disputing the original transaction, it's filing a separate claim that will be reviewed and approved or denied (not in real time, it can take weeks)

Post Reply