Plan us a trip !

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash

Plan us a trip !

Post by BashDash » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am

Hi BH,
info:
Home airport: NYC

130,000 Ihg rewards points.
130,000 United points
100,000 ultimate reward points
160,000 Hilton points

Dates:
feb 15-23 or April 19-27 or the summer with two small children that will be 2 and 4.

Other:
Any miles and points tips would be appreciated. Thinking of going to Hyatt coconut point in Bonita springs for a second time. Also considering San Francisco with side trip to Yosemite. I know completely different. Even considering a cruise. Please help us brainstorm :).
Thanks for any help!
Last edited by BashDash on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shariq1989

Re: Miles and points novice doing vacation planning

Post by shariq1989 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:14 am

Awardhacker and Awardmapper were helpful for me when looking for points needed for flights or hotels.

https://awardhacker.com
http://www.awardmapper.com

Shallowpockets

Re: Plan us a trip !

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Such a straight forward question. Thinking of all the planning I do to find a place to go, how long, what to do and what to see, I think that doing it for you would be much work. You could Google many things, read some travel magazines. So much you could do to help yourself here. At least a start.
There are award charts for all the arlines that you could go to and find out where your miles may take you. That would be a start.
Then come back and give out some clues.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks for the awardmapper and hacker links. Those are two tools I didn’t know about.

I’ve often wanted to do the same thing, get someone to figure all this award stuff out for me. I remember seeing a mention of a paid service that would give advice if you gave them access to your points value, etc. Bur I’m probably too cheap to pay for help and now can’t find the website.

i<3Investing

Post by i<3Investing » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Hawaii, specifically Maui, seems to hit a lot of your wants. Plenty of hikes, relaxation, ocean fun for the whole family. I'm sure they have a Hilton too. If you end up going, make sure to take a day and drive around the back side of the island. It's very beautiful. I would go in April over February to try and hit some nicer weather.

My parents used to take me there as a kid and i remember loving it.

pondering

Post by pondering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:38 pm

It does sound like you’d like us to be your travel agent
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

TXJeff

Post by TXJeff » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Two words: Costa Rica!

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Coastal Maine!

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 pm

I think any trip destination should consider what activities are available for your children and what might you expect them to remember.

No way I would do Costa Rica. (I was just there last January and not a good place for small children.) You do not want to do long airline flights and have long customs lines on both ends.

I might consider something simple like the Moab, Utah area (lots of national Parks and State Parks nearby). Stay in a hotel with a pool.

TXJeff

Post by TXJeff » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 pm
I think any trip destination should consider what activities are available for your children and what might you expect them to remember.

No way I would do Costa Rica. (I was just there last January and not a good place for small children.) You do not want to do long airline flights and have long customs lines on both ends.

I might consider something simple like the Moab, Utah area (lots of national Parks and State Parks nearby). Stay in a hotel with a pool.
You are definitely entitled to your opinon--but I travelled to Costa Rica from NYC this year with--among others--a 3 year old and 5 year old. No problem with the 5.5 hour flight and they loved Costa Rica. Airport and customs were not a big deal coming or going.

Never been to Moab. It might be perfect for these folks. But isn't it about a 5.5 hour flight from NYC to Salt Lake, then a 3-4 hour drive from Salt Lake to Moab?

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:27 pm

With small children we always used to plan water related vacations.

Maui
Oahu
Sanibel Island, FL
Amelia Island, FL
Puerto Rico

We've taken our kids to all of the above and had good vacations.

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Probably start with whatever star alliance nonstops are available from EWR, and see what interests you! Hard to go match saver inventory to dates when we don't know your interests yet :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Li ... al_Airport

MJS

Post by MJS » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Are your points good for a sail? 2 & 4 are good ages for a cruise to Canada or the Caribbean. At this age, sharing a room isn't too bad. Lots of stuff to do for young & old, and the free child care gives the primary caretaker an actual vacation. Disney is the classic cruise line for kids, Holland America has lots of grandparents if your kids like being the center of attention.

... Kids under 3 sometimes sail free.

Will 82

Post by Will 82 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:55 am

Based on your likes, you would probably love St. John, USVI. I have been both pre and post hurricane, and there is quite a difference, but it's still gorgeous and will always be my happy place. 2/3 of the island is national park, great hiking, and gorgeous beaches.

Not something you'll be able to use hotel points for (very few resorts on island, we rent a villa), but we have always been able to use points to cover our flights. Delta has a direct flight from JFK to STT. United had direct flights pre-hurricane out of Newark, so hopefully those will start again soon.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Op here. Thanks for the suggestions! I didn’t mean to sound like I was using the forum as a travel agent. I just value the BH ideas and mindset when I read here

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:12 pm

BashDash wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:44 pm
Op here. Thanks for the suggestions! I didn’t mean to sound like I was using the forum as a travel agent. I just value the BH ideas and mindset when I read here
I do believe that earlier post was trying to be humorous. I am grateful for the suggestions I've received here in answer to various requests. In actuality, I spend way many hours doing planning than the trips wind up taking. Luckily (or not?) I don't have to deal with lots of "free" nights or flights.

You might find it interesting to use TripAdvisor and see "things to do" listing for potential places.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:46 pm

If you truly do need help with using your points, you might consider hiring an expert, such as:

https://pointspros.com/

Or others who are Googlable.

Here's a NY Times article on these services:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/trav ... escue.html

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 pm

I think telling you what I wouldn't do might be more helpful:
I would not torture your kids on long flights (Hawaii from NYC with two kids that age makes me shudder).
I would not suggest San Francisco due to the cost and the huge homeless/drug problem. Recent article about the city having to wash feces off the sidewalks. Not really a kid friendly city.

I would suggest Hilton Head or Gulf Side Florida with maybe a trip to Disney with the kids (maybe when they're a little older). If you're going in the summer then coastal Maine.