Biking with 2 young children - what gear to get?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rcjchicity

Biking with 2 young children - what gear to get?

Post by rcjchicity » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am

I've resolved to stop using my kids (ages 2 & 4) as excuses to not be more physically active :D

Pre-kids, DH and I used to enjoy going on long bike rides (20 + miles) around Chicago, and I would occasionally bike to work. We have 2 good Trek bikes, and mine has a rack + pannier bag.

In the past 5 years, though, I've probably only taken 3 rides on my bike, as it doesn't have any kid-hauling capacity with it. We have an infant seat that attaches to my husband's bike, so he used to take our oldest out when she was 1-2 y/o. Since having 2 kids to transport, we haven't used our bikes and they hang, unloved, in our storage shed.

My husband often works weekends, so I'd like a set up that allows me to bike with both kids, as well as be flexible when it's just him, or it's the whole family.

A 2-child bike trailer seems to fit the bill, but I don't know the longevity of that arrangement with my 4 y/o (40 lbs) seeming like she'd be too big for that soon.

A trailer bike would be good for her, probably for next summer (she's has a balance bike now). But, what to do with my younger kid?

I'd mainly be taking shorter excursions around neighborhood side streets, but on occasion would like to venture out to the forest preserve bike paths in the suburbs. Which means we'd need a hitch installed on our car along with a bike rack.

All I see is $$$ adding up and I get overwhelmed...

livesoft

Re: Biking with 2 young children - what gear to get?

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 am

Borrow a setup from friends and/or relatives first to see how it goes. They probably have things they don't even use and would give them to you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MaineSurfer

Post by MaineSurfer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am

Greetings -
In our house we've got a 4 year old and a 6 year old as well as two active parents. We are very fortunate to have many bikeable destinations within 1-5 miles of us making bikes a good fit for our family. We've bought all our kid bike gear used on Craigslist or at resale shops. It seems to me that most kid gear is taken care of well and used sparingly so there is no reason multiple familes can't keep reusing it. Paying full price for this stuff is a serious pain in the pocketbook.

Our current setup is a 2-kid trailer and a WeeHoo. The trailer is good for short jaunts with both kids, but for longer travel they start to pester each other as the trailers are narrow. We purchased the trailer with a jogging stoller kit and it replaced our stroller completely. The Weehoo is like a trail-a-bike, but the major difference is the child sits in a large seat with a back and is strapped in so the can't fall off. The kids do have the ability to pedal on the weehoo which they enjoy.

So when one parent is taking the kids for a ride they both go in the trailer. this is a proper workout but completely doable if you take your time. When two parents are involved we use the trailer plus the weehoo. We've taken this setup on a 3-day bike tour around Maine as well and had a blast! The six year old is good on her bike solo up to a couple of miles at this point as well. Our minivan is equipped with both a rear rack (used from a bike shop) and a rack on top (craigslist) for carrying bikes.

Happy trails
-Mitch

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:38 am

MaineSurfer wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am
The trailer is good for short jaunts with both kids, but for longer travel they start to pester each other as the trailers are narrow.
+1. Same experience with two kids the same age (twins). Within two minutes of strapping them both into a bike trailer, they were at each other's throats. So I would not recommend it. As a result, we didn't do solo parent bike rides until the kids were old enough to keep up on their own bikes. With two parents, one trailer and one Topeak seat worked best for us. We used the extra space in the trailer to haul our stuff (food/supplies for picnic, water, etc.).

Topic Author
rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 am

Rupert wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:38 am
MaineSurfer wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am
The trailer is good for short jaunts with both kids, but for longer travel they start to pester each other as the trailers are narrow.
+1. Same experience with two kids the same age (twins). Within two minutes of strapping them both into a bike trailer, they were at each other's throats. So I would not recommend it. As a result, we didn't do solo parent bike rides until the kids were old enough to keep up on their own bikes. With two parents, one trailer and one Topeak seat worked best for us. We used the extra space in the trailer to haul our stuff (food/supplies for picnic, water, etc.).
OP here - Yes, this is also a concern for me. My kids only play nicely together for about 30 seconds before one feels the need to torment the other.

kayakprof

Post by kayakprof » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm

If you are looking for shorter bike rides (say 5 miles and less), then the four year old can do it herself! Both of our kids (ages 7 and 5) were on "stryder bikes" by the age of 3.5. These are push bikes. Once the child gets the hang of a push bike, they can go pretty far and pretty fast. I remember my son going about 5-6 miles from a house to the beach at around 3.75 years of age. So you could put the younger one in a seat attached to the bike, and have the older one push around on a stryder. The added benefit of a push bike is that the child learns balance and gets the idea of starting/stopping and dealing with rules of the road. When my son turned 4.5 we bought a very small peddle bike with very thick wheels (Royal Baby). He was up and riding it on the first try and never looked back. My daughter, who just turned 5 is riding that same royal baby peddle bike everywhere now. She rode it 8 miles one way about a month before turning 5.

hfj

Post by hfj » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm

We had a 2-person trailer that worked for awhile for our kids (3 yrs apart), then a trail bike. It was easy enough to put-on/take-off so we configured it based on needs (youngest needed to go to preschool, oldest to a friends house, etc). The trailer was very stable, it's easier for the kid on the trail bike to throw off the balance. On weekend rec rides usually we each take one kid, but on weekdays if it was just my wife, she'd occasionally have a bike + trail bike + trailer arrangement in a long train. It was quite a workout, but mostly through a park and some quiet streets; it'd be pretty difficult to manage anywhere more congested, with more start/stops. All of this was stuff friends passed down to us, and we likewise passed along after they outgrew it.

My sister has twins, and they got a long-tail cargo bike that she could use to carry both girls to/from daycare and around town. That worked for quite awhile, and seems pretty solid.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 pm

We go on a bike vacation to ride the Acadia carriage paths every year and I am always amazed at the people I see with enclosed kiddie trailers. When I look through the netting I see one kid, two kids, or even one or two dogs.

True story - we live on a road that is half-way up a one mile hill with a constant 8-12% grade - great for your heart on the way home. There is a man who lives higher up the hill than us who has three young children and takes them to elementary school every day in good weather - down the hill and then another mostly flat mile - in a rig that looks like a traditional children's wagon with three seat-belted seats, although I am sure the wheel bearings and the connection to his bike are very high tech. I bike the same route every day and if I happen to ride when school is getting out I see him coming home, up our steep hill. I used to tease him that he would not be able to keep doing that ride as his children got older. Amazingly, this has been going on for at least three years, so he must now be pulling well over a hundred pounds of kids, plus the wagon, up our hill.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

rcjchicity wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am
I've resolved to stop using my kids (ages 2 & 4) as excuses to not be more physically active :D

Pre-kids, DH and I used to enjoy going on long bike rides (20 + miles) around Chicago, and I would occasionally bike to work. We have 2 good Trek bikes, and mine has a rack + pannier bag.

In the past 5 years, though, I've probably only taken 3 rides on my bike, as it doesn't have any kid-hauling capacity with it. We have an infant seat that attaches to my husband's bike, so he used to take our oldest out when she was 1-2 y/o. Since having 2 kids to transport, we haven't used our bikes and they hang, unloved, in our storage shed.

My husband often works weekends, so I'd like a set up that allows me to bike with both kids, as well as be flexible when it's just him, or it's the whole family.

A 2-child bike trailer seems to fit the bill, but I don't know the longevity of that arrangement with my 4 y/o (40 lbs) seeming like she'd be too big for that soon.

A trailer bike would be good for her, probably for next summer (she's has a balance bike now). But, what to do with my younger kid?

I'd mainly be taking shorter excursions around neighborhood side streets, but on occasion would like to venture out to the forest preserve bike paths in the suburbs. Which means we'd need a hitch installed on our car along with a bike rack.

All I see is $$$ adding up and I get overwhelmed...
car bike racks.
Go where it is safe to ride.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

cyclist

Post by cyclist » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm

2-kid trailer, definitely! Sure, they''ll outgrow it sooner or later, but good ones can have phenomenal resale values. (Our grown kids are still mad that I sold ours. They have great memories of it.)

Let me add an important note on safety. My wife and I used to do quite a bit of riding on a tandem bike (some of it towing a Burley Piccolo half-bike similar to an AlleyCat AND a Burley trailer!) A person riding on the back of a tandem is a lot like a child riding on a bike-mounted seat on the back of a regular bike. I'll explain why that's not a good idea for a child.

Accidents happen. In our case it was a friendly dog that ran into our front wheel. When a bike falls the person steering it instinctively pushes down on the bars. I rolled over the bars and wasn't hurt. My wife on the back of the tandem was just like a child in a bike-mounted seat. She hit the ground faster and harder than I did because the bike approached the ground faster than I did. She's alive and well because of her helmet, but I learned a lot about traumatic brain injury in a hurry. (She got a nice ride in a helicopter to a shock trauma center.) Concussions happen when the skull stops suddenly and the brain decelerates rapidly; no actual striking of the head is required. Even if your child is secured in a bike-mounted seat and wearing a helmet, they'll be at real risk of concussion when the bike hits the ground. No one in our family will ever use a bike-mounted child seat.

In that particular accident we were towing both kids. The one on the half-bike got a skinned knee. The one in the trailer was confused about all the fuss, because trailers don't fall over when the bikes that tow them fall over.

I look forward to buying trailers for my grandchildren when the time is right.
Last edited by cyclist on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Since I've not yet seen it mentioned in this thread: HELMETS!!
Sure they can mess up the hair and they feel sorta weird at first, but they save lives. Have done so twice in my years of riding.
And if the kids see their parent(s) wearing a helmet they're more inclined to model that behaviour as well.
Happy pedaling!

Edit: as soon as I posted this I saw someone beat me to mentioning a helmet two minutes prior. Cheers!!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Go to the gym and ride a stationary bike OR get one for your home. 100% safe.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Go for a different activity like hiking. Far safer, cheaper and healthier.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm

I’ve been seeing a lot of these in our bike friendly town and wished they’d been available when our kids were small. I’ve seen one cyclist hauling as many as three toddlers.

https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/boda-boda

and, of course, new helmets for all.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 pm
True story - we live on a road that is half-way up a one mile hill with a constant 8-12% grade - great for your heart on the way home. There is a man who lives higher up the hill than us who has three young children and takes them to elementary school every day in good weather - down the hill and then another mostly flat mile - in a rig that looks like a traditional children's wagon with three seat-belted seats, although I am sure the wheel bearings and the connection to his bike are very high tech. I bike the same route every day and if I happen to ride when school is getting out I see him coming home, up our steep hill. I used to tease him that he would not be able to keep doing that ride as his children got older. Amazingly, this has been going on for at least three years, so he must now be pulling well over a hundred pounds of kids, plus the wagon, up our hill.
No way this is true :shock: or else your neighbor is superman in plain cloths. I do 8% to 12% gradient on a super light road bike with other enthusiasts who are all fit and nearly everyone is working extremely hard to get over these, and that too when in great shape during peak season. Other possibility is that he has an electric assist bike. That has to be it.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Staying fit while taking care of young kids is always a challenge. What worked for us:

- Exercise while the kids are in preschool or wherever. Often this isn't an option because they're not in preschool, or not in the same time... but if it is, you're golden.

- One spouse exercises while the other watches the kids, and then switch. This works well, but is not always possible due to scheduling. So, I'm going to use options that worked for us "solo."

- Take the kids to a playground in a park. Have them play in the playground, while you run laps around it. You have to pay attention of course, but it's possible to do this while still keeping a close eye on the kids and staying close enough to stop any potential kidnapper.

- When the kids are old enough to use a bike or scoot-bike, go jogging or power-walking with them in a local park on local bike path/trail. With the kids on bikes, they are going fast enough so that you can get a good workout and they can still keep up with you.

- Use an exercise machine (treadmill, elliptical machine, stationary bike, etc.) in your living room. Since you have bikes already, you can get a stand for one so that you can use it as a stationary bike.

I used all of these methods at various points, and they all had their place.

I would NOT take the kids biking on city roads, either in a child carrier or trailer, or on their own bikes. It is not safe. Find a bike path that is completely separated from roads with cars.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:25 pm

One more thing. For the biking you do, get a one of the new MIPS helmets. Bell and Giro both have helmet models that use MIPS technology.

http://mipsprotection.com/technology/

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Elysium wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm
....Other possibility is that he has an electric assist bike. That has to be it.
I have not looked closely at his bike - after all, I am working pretty hard myself when I see him! It does seem sort of superhuman. If I see him again I'll look closely at his bike, if I can. I just turned 70 and my heart rate is in the 150s on that hill.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:58 pm

I'd just grab something off craigslist to try out and see if it sticks. there are always lots of cargo bikes and trailers listed for 50% off retail. staying fit has never been a concern nor will it be for me, because i bike to work.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

hifive

Post by hifive » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:11 pm

+1 to the helmet advice, and good on you for staying active and modeling the same :beer
fourwheelcycle wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm
Elysium wrote:
....Other possibility is that he has an electric assist bike. That has to be it.
I have not looked closely at his bike - after all, I am working pretty hard myself when I see him! It does seem sort of superhuman. If I see him again I'll look closely at his bike, if I can. I just turned 70 and my heart rate is in the 150s on that hill.
That definitely could be it. While on vacation one year I rented a bike with electric assist to try out. The best way I can describe the experience is that it's less like throttling up, and more like you're shifting the hill down toward level. We were flying up 10% grades like nothing.

Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 pm

We started with the Chariot, now owned by Thule. The original Chariot was much better than what Thule is producing now, but among the current options, it may be the best one. Two kids fit in the (correct model) Chariot up until the oldest is about 5, then it's time to get a trailabike.

This trailabike is what we got next: https://www.trail-a-bike.com/products/t ... r-compact/ The compact one. The full size was too big at the point where we switched our oldest onto the Trailabike.

Next we bought this: https://www.trail-a-bike.com/products/t ... er-tandem/. This has been great for us, but it does require a stronger rider, not just due to pedaling harder to pull the extra weight, but due to the torque that tries to pull you side to side. There are scattered reviews on the internet about this tandem, some of which are negative. I have to say, I agree with all of the points in the negative reviews. They are all true. But I still love the tandem. To me, the good outweighs the bad and I've been very happy with it. Other advantages to the tandem: we've found it will fit on our bike rack, whereas the single trailabike has to go inside the car. Another thing to keep in mind is that you're not required to have two kids on the tandem. We wound up towing a third kid also, so it has been good to have both the single and the tandem, but if I would only ever have two kids to pull, I might consider just starting out with only the tandem from the beginning. The backseat on the tandem will take a smaller kid than the frontseat.

Two discoveries I've made: the most important thing holding it to your bike is the locknut on the bolt that goes through the connector. We had a bike shop put ours together, thinking they'd do a better job than us amateurs. Well, they obviously put it together once, realized something wasn't right, and took it apart and put it back together. They didn't know enough to understand how a locknut works. It came apart on us while riding and thankfully there were no injuries. I now have a bunch of spare locknuts on hand in case it ever comes off again, but with my installation, it has held together through some rough trail rides. The key is that you can't put a locknut on twice (nylon locknut). You get one shot at it. If it isn't right, take it off, throw away the locknut, and start again with a brand-new locknut. Here's a Wikipedia link about this kind of nut: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut The picture is right, but what they say about reuse is absolutely 100% wrong.

When you put the connector together, make sure it moves freely. If it "sticks" a little, that will translate to more side to side torque on you, the rider, and will stress and eventually break the connector.

The other thing we've done is add footstraps for the kids pedals. If you hit a bump, kids feet can come off pedals and wind up in spokes. With footstraps, it's more annoying to get moving (kids are slow to get feet into pedals), but the feet stay where they belong.

Hope that helps.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm

To OP. I would not go on the road with kids on any of these trailer options, with cars driving by crazy. I do a lot of riding on the roads, solo and in groups, some car drivers pass by dangerously close, some are outright crazy. Dedicated bike trails are where I would limit the kids to, if you have that option. Otherwise keep the kids to your community roads, and your rides independent of them.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:24 am

BTW, once your kids are a little older you can actually ride a proper tandem bike with them. Not the tandem trailer attached, but a proper bike with two pedal option. In our group there is a guy who rides every weekend with his 10 to 12 year old son and daughter alternatively in the back, and this is a full 45 mile ride on the road with 20+ riders going 18+ mph average. The kids are light weight and do their share in the back, but the dad is very strong guy who pulls most of it. I am hoping one day, my youngest will be able to join me on a tandem like that.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:34 am

cyclist wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm
2-kid trailer, definitely! Sure, they''ll outgrow it sooner or later, but good ones can have phenomenal resale values. (Our grown kids are still mad that I sold ours. They have great memories of it.)
Maybe the best "investment" in a consumer product we ever made. Our children are now too large to go together (6 and 3), but we towed them both around for about 3yrs...everywhere. As a single car family, we now use it to take my kids (independently) to their gymnastics and jiu-jitsu classes and for shorter rides my daughter will ride her bike while we tow my son. I also use it to go to the grocery store. You can easily find high quality trailers online (Amazon, Nashbar) for <$150.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm
Elysium wrote:
I have not looked closely at his bike - after all, I am working pretty hard myself when I see him! It does seem sort of superhuman. If I see him again I'll look closely at his bike, if I can.
I happened to see the father going down our hill with the empty bike today, while I was going up the hill in our car. I only got a quick look, but I think it may be an Xtracycle Edgerunner https://www.bendelectricbikes.com/produ ... runner-27d or something similar. I note it does come in two electric versions, but the bike went by so fast today I did not get to see if it was electric. Pretty slick way to carry kids, in any event.

Topic Author
rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:40 pm

OP here - Thanks for all of the input. We just got a Burley bike trailer off of Craigslist but haven't put it to the test yet.

I will definitely keep all of the safety suggestions in mind. We recently went for a family outing on one of the forest preserve bike trails (DH with one kid on his bike and me walking next to the other on the balance bike), and the guys zooming around blind corners on their $10,000 bikes was a little disconcerting.

Made my one-way neighborhood side streets with stop signs and speed humps every block look tame by comparison.

To wit, some internet searching resulted a "mellow bike map" of Chicago, identifying routes that take advantage of just those kinds of streets. I'll definitely be utilizing this:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 00005&z=13

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/m ... d=50772951

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:50 pm

We have 3 & 2 yos, and they love the trailer. I hook it up to my 15 year old Rockhopper mountain bike and we go all over the place: neighborhood, park, grocery store.

Good move getting it off Craigslist. I think ours was $25 from a dude who had two. Happy (safe) riding with your little ones! :beer
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.