brother laser printer--OEM or 3rd party cartridges

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

brother laser printer--OEM or 3rd party cartridges

Post by retire14 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 am

Just bought a Brother laser B/W laser printer based on this board's recommendations. Should I buy the OEM brother cartridge or 3rd party? Looks like I can save about $20 on Amazon. Is it worth it? TIA

OAG

Re: brother laser printer--OEM or 3rd party cartridges

Post by OAG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am

I have about a 7 year old Brother Wireless B&W MFP. I attribute the long life to always using only Brother Toner in it. The drum is the only part IMO that would be impacted by 3d Party Toner and it is probably the most expensive moving part to replace. Your experience may be different.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 am

I've been using this place for over 10 years & have been completely satisfied, save so much https://www.supermediastore.com/
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

etherlinkage

Post by etherlinkage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

We’ve used 3rd party toner and a replacement drum and had no problems. We buy through amazon, so if there’s a problem, we’re covered.
Save early, save aggressively, and stay the course.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

orlandoman wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 am
I've been using this place for over 10 years & have been completely satisfied, save so much https://www.supermediastore.com/
Love your signature.

Abe was a smart man.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

I have a Brother. When the OEM cartidges ran out I switched to some cheaper 3rd party ones on Amazon that had good reviews. I haven't been impressed. Black is OK but there is some running and splotching when printing color.

It isn't annoying enough to toss them out now but next time around when I replace cartridges I'll probably go back to the Brother and just pay the extra.

BrendanP

Post by BrendanP » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:49 am

We always use 3rd party cartridges with our brother laser printer they're so much cheaper. Only issues I've had is sometimes they leak toner and don't last as long. But they are only 25 or 30 percent the cost of OEM. Also bought a generic drum which also worked well. Be sure to read reviews and ratings.

BespokeBiker

Post by BespokeBiker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 am

I faced the same question: whether to plonk down $99 for a new Brother cartridge, buy a much cheaper non-Brother cartridge OR go the route of doing my own toner refill of used Brother cartridges.
Cut to the chase: I've had good success with toner refills (New Era Toner, see Amazon) of my empty Brother b&w laser toner cartridges. It's about $8 a pop, although it involves about 30 min of labor (see below). By contrast, prior to doing my own toner refills a friend lent me a filled 3rd party budget toner cartridge and it caused nasty splotching on printouts and dirtied up the insides of my laser printer -- so, never again !
If you decide to go the toner refill route: 1) do it outside when there isn't much wind 2) wear a 3M-type face mask 3) gently pry open the plastic plug 4) make sure to empty out ALL of the old toner 5) be patient in filling toner 6) re-plug and use compressed air can + tissue to clean all toner from both the cartridge & the printer 7) install the cart. and do a test page or two. My experience has been clean pages of sharp high-contrast print.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 pm

retire14 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 am
Just bought a Brother laser B/W laser printer based on this board's recommendations. Should I buy the OEM brother cartridge or 3rd party? Looks like I can save about $20 on Amazon. Is it worth it? TIA
I buy both my toners and drum using OEM. The installed software does not like it one bit and will constantly remind you to replace the toner, but pay it no mind.

Have been doing this since 2014, and the results have been pretty good

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

I've had good luck buying OEM Brother toner cartidges on eBay. Look for reputable seller (see feedbacks), and read very carefully.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm

I have become an expert in refilling a cartridge - my current one which has capacity of 120 pages has till now printed about 2400 pages of same quality - just buy ink and syringe kit and dont waste money on new cartridges - buying a few cartridges equals to cost of new printer.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Our brother network printer (HL-5250DN) is 12 years old and gets light daily use by multiple users on our home network. We have always used aftermarket cartridges and never had a problem.

Couldn't be more satisfied with this printer, even if it blows up tomorrow. When it does, I will buy another Brother in a heartbeat!

Post by 123 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:47 pm

It depends on how much you use. For your first replacement cartridge get an OEM high capacity. If it lasts you less than 12 months try getting 3rd party cartridges. Otherwise just use OEMhigh capacity if you only replace every year or two. We've had a couple of Brother laser printers and when they're new we've used OEM refills but when they get 4 or more years old we've switched to 3rd party and even done self-refills. Self-refills are kind of messy unless you do a bunch at one time. Self-refills and 3rd party cartridges will sometimes have problems with the refill gizmo gear that many cartridges have. Brother OEM replacements just don't have any issues, but they are expensive.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks for listing that Supermediastore. I just bought one cartridge for a HP Laserjet M402n at $33, whereas Staples required $ 95.