What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
parigi723
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 6:42 am

What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by parigi723 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am

Hello everyone:
Information please.........
I was reading some of your postings and I wonder......WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
Is it for economical reasons? and then,how often do you replace them?
As usual many thanks for your replies,parigi.

User avatar
vineviz
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by vineviz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:24 am

I bought mine so I can see the words clearly, and replace them when they don’t work.

I also have a set of glasses that AREN’T for reading, but I’m considering changing them to progressive lenses when my prescription changes next.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

parigi723
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 6:42 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by parigi723 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 am

So you use a prescription,instead of buying them at a $ store........

mouses
Posts: 3653
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by mouses » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 am

I have computer glasses via prescription. I also have cheap more magnifying glasses from the drugstore.

The presc glasses are because they are accurate for my eyes and I use them for long intervals. The drugstore glasses I use when trimming my cat's claws as they magnify more, but I am sure I'd have a headache if I used them regularly.

User avatar
vineviz
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by vineviz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 am

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 am
So you use a prescription,instead of buying them at a $ store........
I’ve done both.

When I first got my normal prescription glasses I used drugstore reading glasses. But as my astigmatism grew stronger that wasn’t optimal so after a few years I got a second prescription for reading glasses, which I bought online relatively inexpensively.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

RickBoglehead
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:51 am

Many people have distance vision that needs help with prescription lenses. Some have good shorter distance, and only need magnification for closeup work like reading.

Ask your eye doctor, not a forum, if inexpensive reading glasses are right for your vision problem.

JoeRetire
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 am

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
I buy them so that I can see while I read.

User avatar
Bengineer
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: NC

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Bengineer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:15 am

..... Or you could figure it out for yourself. Assuming you don't need prescription glasses, but find yourself straining to read or see details that are up close now that you're over 40, you will likely find "drugstore readers" work just fine for reading.

If you do wear prescription glasses and don't have any appreciable astigmatism, the readers likely will suffice.

If you have significant astigmatism, you'll likely be better served by prescription glasses for near vision.

parigi723
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 6:42 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by parigi723 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 am

Thank you,kindly everyone!

carolinaman
Posts: 3208
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by carolinaman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 am

I am not a doctor but if you have vision problems, you should have your eyes tested. If you need glasses, you have choices of what to get and where. I have used Costco (preferred) and Walmart. Both are low cost providers. Personally, I would not buy the non prescription eye glasses. I have always understood that leaving vision problems uncorrected puts more strain on your eyes, making the problem worse.

likegarden
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by likegarden » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:49 am

I used prescription bifocal glasses until I had cataract surgery on both eyes (mono-focal). Now I use reading glasses in the strength the eye surgeon recommended. That office said to buy them at a dollar store, where each cost about $1.25 at a 50% off sale. I have 5 or 6 around the house and in the car.

User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by CardinalRule » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:02 am

Also if you need a different correction for each eye.
Bengineer wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:15 am

If you have significant astigmatism, you'll likely be better served by prescription glasses for near vision.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7083
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:12 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 am
parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
I buy them so that I can see while I read.
Okay, you beat me to it :wink:

I also have progressive lenses, so I can also see better for distance, without needing to change glasses.

Also, it seems OP is not that familiar with glasses.
For many people, both eyes don't require the same exact correction. Rx eyeglasses can be customized for near/computer/far (especially easy with progressives, though the fields can be different "sizes"), and also for each eye.
Even with simple magnification, both eyes may not need the same. I've never seen OTC reading glasses that had choices for each eye.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by heartwood » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 am

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
Hello everyone:
Information please.........
I was reading some of your postings and I wonder......WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
Is it for economical reasons? and then,how often do you replace them?
As usual many thanks for your replies,parigi.
My eye doctor at my annual exam writes me a Rx for essentially reading glasses. There's an eyeglass shop in his office, but he suggests that Costco reading glasses are just fine, if they work for me. I buy the three packs at Costco for about $18.50. They're Foster Grants.

I just checked; they're on sale for $12.49

https://www.costco.com/reading-glasses. ... iceMin%7C0

THey work just fine for me, as well as my Warby Parkers that have a bit more style.

User avatar
Abe
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Abe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:50 am

You can buy reading glasses at Dollar Tree Stores for $1.00 per pair. :beer
Slow and steady wins the race.

User avatar
OAG
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Currently Central Ohio, USA

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by OAG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 am

Since having Cataracts removed from both eyes I do not need glasses for distance or for driving (20/20). Do not need them for my computers (4X and HDR) but do need them for iPhone (go figure). So I buy them where ever they are cheapest (Dollar Store, etc.). Keep 2 pair around at all times.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

User avatar
Just sayin...
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:12 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:56 am

heartwood wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 am
...Costco reading glasses are just fine, if they work for me. I buy the three packs at Costco for about $18.50. They're Foster Grants.

I just checked; they're on sale for $12.49

https://www.costco.com/reading-glasses. ... iceMin%7C0

THey work just fine for me, as well as my Warby Parkers that have a bit more style.
I do this, then “fancy them up” with a nice el-cheapo pleather case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7SKCUJ/

:sharebeer

randomguy
Posts: 6186
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by randomguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:58 am

OAG wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 am
Since having Cataracts removed from both eyes I do not need glasses for distance or for driving (20/20). Do not need them for my computers (4X and HDR) but do need them for iPhone (go figure). So I buy them where ever they are cheapest (Dollar Store, etc.). Keep 2 pair around at all times.
The question is why do this versus buying some 10-20 dollar prescription glasses that fit your needs exactly. In the old days when your options were more like buy some 150 dollar glasses sure it made financial sense. The only really good reason I can come up with is to avoid the eye doctor which is sort of questionable from an eye health point of view for anyone in the market for readers.

Hockey10
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia suburbs

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:14 pm

I wear progressive lenses most of the time. These give me very good vision for distance and reading. When I wear my contact lenses, my reading vision needs a slight boost from reading glasses.

drawpoker
Posts: 2055
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by drawpoker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
I was reading some of your postings and I wonder......WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
Is it for economical reasons? and then,how often do you replace them?
Although they are called "readers" or "reading" glasses people commonly use them for any close-up work.
Like mouses when giving cat pedicures 8-)

The need for them arises from a condition known as presbyopia. Presbyopia is a natural result of aging, commonly affecting people starting in their forties or fifties. You know, you find yourself squinting to read the fine print on the box of your Froot Loops :P

Naturally, most eye doctors will tell you the cheap Dollar Store readers are bad for your eyes, don't use them, and try and persuade you to buy glasses from them. But, Consumer Reports says otherwise, they will not damage your eyes.
I tend to believe them for most things.

mancich
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by mancich » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm

My ophthalmologist told me the inexpensive dollar store glasses are fine, and that they won't hurt your eyes. I have perfect distance vision with the help of my contacts, but at 50, I am now having quite a hard time reading up close. Several pair of reading glasses stashed around the house works for me. However, when I take my contacts out at night and put on my glasses (for seeing far away) and then want to read, I am putting on reading glasses OVER my distance glasses; my kids like that one. I suppose one of these days I should get a new pair of glasses that does both.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2223
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:56 am
I do this, then “fancy them up” with a nice el-cheapo pleather case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7SKCUJ/

:sharebeer
So the case costs more than the glasses it protects (eh, fancies up)? ;)

User avatar
Abe
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Abe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm
parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
I was reading some of your postings and I wonder......WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
Is it for economical reasons? and then,how often do you replace them?
Although they are called "readers" or "reading" glasses people commonly use them for any close-up work.
Like mouses when giving cat pedicures 8-)

The need for them arises from a condition known as presbyopia. Presbyopia is a natural result of aging, commonly affecting people starting in their forties or fifties. You know, you find yourself squinting to read the fine print on the box of your Froot Loops :P

Naturally, most eye doctors will tell you the cheap Dollar Store readers are bad for your eyes, don't use them, and try and persuade you to buy glasses from them. But, Consumer Reports says otherwise, they will not damage your eyes.
I tend to believe them for most things.
My Optometrist advised me to get cheap reading glasses for close up stuff. He even told me I could get them for a $1.00 a pair at the Dollar Tree Store. He said that's all I needed.
Slow and steady wins the race.

mhalley
Posts: 6016
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by mhalley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:57 pm

I have the trifecta of vision problems (myopia-near sighted, presbyopia-far sighted due to aging, and astigmatism-eye does not focus at all distances). For everyday use I wear progressive lenses, but they are not great for prolonged reading. I therefore asked my od for a rx for reading glasses that only correct the astigmatism and presbyopia. Great for those prolonged reading sessions into the night.

dowse
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by dowse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:20 pm

When I first started needing reading glasses, my long distance vision was fine. I went with computer glasses, but I had to remove them when viewing from a distance. I kept misplacing them, losing them when they fell out of my pocket, etc. Also, it drove me crazy having to take them on and off all the time. A couple of years ago, an eye exam revealed that I needed minor long distance correction, so at that point, I went with prescription trifocals. Later, I switched to progressives. Since then, I wear glasses all the time, and I am much better off for it. I almost never lose track of my glasses as I only take them off to sleep or shower.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3411
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by munemaker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 pm

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
My eye doctor says I do not need prescription eye glasses. In order to use the computer and read printed material, I need to use reading glasses. It is not about economy. I would buy them if they cost $500. Fortunately they are only a couple dollars at Wal*Mart or wherever.

I replace them when the frames eventually break.

I buy a bunch of pairs and have them scattered throughout my home and in the car so they are always handy.

You can buy reading glasses in expensive frames from your eye doctor, but why would you?

Hockey10
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia suburbs

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:06 pm

mancich wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm
My ophthalmologist told me the inexpensive dollar store glasses are fine, and that they won't hurt your eyes. I have perfect distance vision with the help of my contacts, but at 50, I am now having quite a hard time reading up close. Several pair of reading glasses stashed around the house works for me. However, when I take my contacts out at night and put on my glasses (for seeing far away) and then want to read, I am putting on reading glasses OVER my distance glasses; my kids like that one. I suppose one of these days I should get a new pair of glasses that does both.
Your eyesight and mine sound very similar. Ask your eye doctor about multi-focal progressive lenses. They will make your night time reading much easier.

dcabler
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by dcabler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:10 pm

I have progressive lenses, but I mainly use them for reading when I'm out and about and I'm wearing glasses anyway. The field of view is too narrow for my liking for regular reading. For that, I have reading glasses I've purchased from Costco in a 3 pack - helpful because I tend to leave them lying about all over the house. Replace when they break.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Not sure what age you are. Most younger people don't need reading glasses/ It often comes with age.

I wore contacts to correct long vision (nearsightedness) for most of my life. Around 45, my close up vision started to go, and the doctor corrected my lenses to make one better for near vision and one better for long distance. That worked for about five years, then he added a bifocal outer ring to the lenses, and that got me about eight more, then that wouldn't work all the time, so I picked up some weak "readers" from CVS (1.25 strength). I now use 1.5 strength which is still pretty weak. I can still read most things if held out a couple of feet, but need the glasses for in front of the computer, or reading a book / magazine.

I can read up close with the readers if I'm not wearing my contacts, so if I'm reading a book in bed before going to sleep, I'm fine, but I'm pretty blind for long distance without the contacts.

I also have regular bifocals which are fine for both distances, but I prefer to wear contacts most of the time, and make due with the "readers" when needed.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:34 pm

You get glasses because you need them.

You should be aware that there are vision problems that are NOT correctable with glasses. Your brain does a good job of working around vision defects so you may not be aware of serious vision defects until it is rather late in the game.

All of us, especially the older us, should get occasional ophthalmological exams. Glaucoma is one of the concerns.

randomguy
Posts: 6186
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by randomguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 pm
parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
My eye doctor says I do not need prescription eye glasses. In order to use the computer and read printed material, I need to use reading glasses. It is not about economy. I would buy them if they cost $500. Fortunately they are only a couple dollars at Wal*Mart or wherever.

I replace them when the frames eventually break.

I buy a bunch of pairs and have them scattered throughout my home and in the car so they are always handy.

You can buy reading glasses in expensive frames from your eye doctor, but why would you?
The question is why are you buying dollar store glasses that don't match your needs exactly versus buying 10 dollar glasses that do? The eye doctor is giving you an exam so you have the prescription. Sure it is probably only a slight difference (i.e. prescriptions glasses will have the correct prescription for both eyes instead of whatever you get at the drug store) but why not get the best solution when the cost is a couple pennies a day (i.e. 10 bucks over the 2+ year lifespan of glasses)? It isn't the early 00's when prescription glasses were expensive. Now there are a dozen places that will sell you decent pairs for under 20 bucks.

inbox788
Posts: 5408
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by inbox788 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:43 pm

mancich wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm
My ophthalmologist told me the inexpensive dollar store glasses are fine, and that they won't hurt your eyes. I have perfect distance vision with the help of my contacts, but at 50, I am now having quite a hard time reading up close. Several pair of reading glasses stashed around the house works for me. However, when I take my contacts out at night and put on my glasses (for seeing far away) and then want to read, I am putting on reading glasses OVER my distance glasses; my kids like that one. I suppose one of these days I should get a new pair of glasses that does both.
[Embedded animated GIF removed by admin LadyGeek.]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIN7QP0

I think flip up reading lenses like these go for $1.50 at the local Daiso. I don't have personal experience with them, but they've got to be better than the pair I picked up at the dollar store that had poor optical quality plastic. The one I got was adequate for a simple/quick usage like filling out an easy form or looking at something briefly, but I would stick with a better pair for prolonged reading.

moehoward
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by moehoward » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:37 pm

I have reading glasses all over the house, they're cheap. I also only use cheap reading glasses on airplanes just in case I lose them.

Pigeon
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Pigeon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

The question is why are you buying dollar store glasses that don't match your needs exactly versus buying 10 dollar glasses that do? The eye doctor is giving you an exam so you have the prescription. Sure it is probably only a slight difference (i.e. prescriptions glasses will have the correct prescription for both eyes instead of whatever you get at the drug store) but why not get the best solution when the cost is a couple pennies a day (i.e. 10 bucks over the 2+ year lifespan of glasses)? It isn't the early 00's when prescription glasses were expensive. Now there are a dozen places that will sell you decent pairs for under 20 bucks.
I have a nice, expensive pair of progressives that I use for general purposes, driving, watching TV, work, etc. They aren't $20, more like $500. When I get my annual vision exam, I walk away with a copy of my prescription, which I use to order a pair of prescription progressives from an online retailer.

Part of the prescription includes the correction for farsightedness, which you can use to pick out readers. You can also figure them out pretty easily in the store by trying different pairs. I've bought them first and then had the amount of correction I picked out myself confirmed by my prescription.

If I'm just reading, I like using the readers much more than using my progressives. For the progressives to work correctly, you have to be looking through the right part of the lens. I find the readers to be more forgiving and more comfortable to use for that task. It's also convenient to have a few cheap pairs tucked around the house.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 5279
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Small type is becoming tough for me. I don't bother with readers or bifocals though. For the computer, I take off my regular glasses and increase the font size in browsers. Similarly for e-books on the iPad I can set the font where I need it.

Now, oddly to me, browsers like Firefox on the iPad don't seem to have a way to adjust the fonts. That seems strange to me as it's built into the desktop versions. I thought I must be missing the way to do it, but web search indicates that it wasn't just me. I can use "spread" to increase a page's size, but that's the whole page not just the text within it.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

randomguy
Posts: 6186
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by randomguy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Pigeon wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 pm
randomguy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

The question is why are you buying dollar store glasses that don't match your needs exactly versus buying 10 dollar glasses that do? The eye doctor is giving you an exam so you have the prescription. Sure it is probably only a slight difference (i.e. prescriptions glasses will have the correct prescription for both eyes instead of whatever you get at the drug store) but why not get the best solution when the cost is a couple pennies a day (i.e. 10 bucks over the 2+ year lifespan of glasses)? It isn't the early 00's when prescription glasses were expensive. Now there are a dozen places that will sell you decent pairs for under 20 bucks.
I have a nice, expensive pair of progressives that I use for general purposes, driving, watching TV, work, etc. They aren't $20, more like $500. When I get my annual vision exam, I walk away with a copy of my prescription, which I use to order a pair of prescription progressives from an online retailer.

Part of the prescription includes the correction for farsightedness, which you can use to pick out readers. You can also figure them out pretty easily in the store by trying different pairs. I've bought them first and then had the amount of correction I picked out myself confirmed by my prescription.

If I'm just reading, I like using the readers much more than using my progressives. For the progressives to work correctly, you have to be looking through the right part of the lens. I find the readers to be more forgiving and more comfortable to use for that task. It's also convenient to have a few cheap pairs tucked around the house.
Your options is not progressives versus readers. It is 10-20 dollar prescription lenses that correct your farsightedness versus readers. Why not get lenses that correct your vision properly (i.e. each eye gets the right adjustment) versus getting something that is sort of close? If my option was a 500 dollar pair of prescription lenses for reading versus a 2 dollar readers sure you go with readers. But when you can get prescription glasses for 10 bucks, why get readers?

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm

randomguy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:03 pm
Pigeon wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 pm
randomguy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

The question is why are you buying dollar store glasses that don't match your needs exactly versus buying 10 dollar glasses that do? The eye doctor is giving you an exam so you have the prescription. Sure it is probably only a slight difference (i.e. prescriptions glasses will have the correct prescription for both eyes instead of whatever you get at the drug store) but why not get the best solution when the cost is a couple pennies a day (i.e. 10 bucks over the 2+ year lifespan of glasses)? It isn't the early 00's when prescription glasses were expensive. Now there are a dozen places that will sell you decent pairs for under 20 bucks.
I have a nice, expensive pair of progressives that I use for general purposes, driving, watching TV, work, etc. They aren't $20, more like $500. When I get my annual vision exam, I walk away with a copy of my prescription, which I use to order a pair of prescription progressives from an online retailer.

Part of the prescription includes the correction for farsightedness, which you can use to pick out readers. You can also figure them out pretty easily in the store by trying different pairs. I've bought them first and then had the amount of correction I picked out myself confirmed by my prescription.

If I'm just reading, I like using the readers much more than using my progressives. For the progressives to work correctly, you have to be looking through the right part of the lens. I find the readers to be more forgiving and more comfortable to use for that task. It's also convenient to have a few cheap pairs tucked around the house.
Your options is not progressives versus readers. It is 10-20 dollar prescription lenses that correct your farsightedness versus readers. Why not get lenses that correct your vision properly (i.e. each eye gets the right adjustment) versus getting something that is sort of close? If my option was a 500 dollar pair of prescription lenses for reading versus a 2 dollar readers sure you go with readers. But when you can get prescription glasses for 10 bucks, why get readers?
Easier said than done.

Finding an inexpensive option if you need readers with different corrections for each eye is problematic.

I have a thread or two here about my search for an inexpensive option for glasses with different corrections for reading distance in each eye. The only option I (actually another member here) found was Goggles4U.

I could get by with $2 readers, but it was worth it to me to buy four pairs from Goggles4U. If I didn't need different reading correction in each eye and didn't need distance correction at all, I would go with the Dollar Store/Walmart readers and not think twice.

randomguy
Posts: 6186
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by randomguy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Easier said than done.

Finding an inexpensive option if you need readers with different corrections for each eye is problematic.

I have a thread or two here about my search for an inexpensive option for glasses with different corrections for reading distance in each eye. The only option I (actually another member here) found was Goggles4U.

I could get by with $2 readers, but it was worth it to me to buy four pairs from Goggles4U. If I didn't need different reading correction in each eye and didn't need distance correction at all, I would go with the Dollar Store/Walmart readers and not think twice.
Care to tell why ZenniOptical, LenseRx, EyeBuyDirect or any of the zillion other online places wouldn't make you glasses with your farsighted prescription? It seems like a very standard order. Again I just don't understand buying 2 dollar readers with so-so perscriptions versus paying 10 bucks and getting the right one. It seems like a weird choice to be making. Unless you skipping the eye exams so you don't have a prescription or you need something in the next 72 hours it seems like a weird place to save money. Just doesn't seem worthwhile to run the risk of headaches and the like from having slightly off prescriptions to save a couple pennies/day.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7083
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:58 pm

How do these mail order type places get the pupil positioning just right, and especially both of them at the same time?

In the past, without extra care, I've had trouble with what even some "in person" shops do.
Each eye is *great*, near and far, etc. (although not always, alas).

But both together, not so much, all the time.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Pigeon
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 am

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Pigeon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Care to tell why ZenniOptical, LenseRx, EyeBuyDirect or any of the zillion other online places wouldn't make you glasses with your farsighted prescription? It seems like a very standard order. Again I just don't understand buying 2 dollar readers with so-so perscriptions versus paying 10 bucks and getting the right one. It seems like a weird choice to be making.
I could order them from Zenni. Between the 4 in my family who wear glasses, we order a lot of pairs of back-up glasses and sunglasses from Zenni. But even for single vision and deliberately picking the cheapest frames, they never end up costing $10 and they take time to arrive.

Why do I buy cheap readers from the dollar store? Because they work great. No headaches, no blurred vision, easy to pick out the right correction in a minute or two. I'm sure there are people who need different corrections for each eye, but most don't. Obviously the cheap readers work perfectly well for many people. If I lose them or break them, I don't care. I can try them on right in the grocery store and make sure they work fine (unlike Zenni). They may not be a good solution for some people and they should get reading glasses from the pros.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

randomguy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Easier said than done.

Finding an inexpensive option if you need readers with different corrections for each eye is problematic.

I have a thread or two here about my search for an inexpensive option for glasses with different corrections for reading distance in each eye. The only option I (actually another member here) found was Goggles4U.

I could get by with $2 readers, but it was worth it to me to buy four pairs from Goggles4U. If I didn't need different reading correction in each eye and didn't need distance correction at all, I would go with the Dollar Store/Walmart readers and not think twice.
Care to tell why ZenniOptical, LenseRx, EyeBuyDirect or any of the zillion other online places wouldn't make you glasses with your farsighted prescription? It seems like a very standard order. Again I just don't understand buying 2 dollar readers with so-so perscriptions versus paying 10 bucks and getting the right one. It seems like a weird choice to be making. Unless you skipping the eye exams so you don't have a prescription or you need something in the next 72 hours it seems like a weird place to save money. Just doesn't seem worthwhile to run the risk of headaches and the like from having slightly off prescriptions to save a couple pennies/day.
It may have been because I wanted bifocals with a non-prescription top half rather than a single vision pair, so my bad on that. What I do recall was that no other place I checked would let me "Add" a different correction to each lens.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5248
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:39 pm

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
Hello everyone:
Information please.........
I was reading some of your postings and I wonder......WHY would you buy reading glasses ?
Is it for economical reasons? and then,how often do you replace them?
As usual many thanks for your replies,parigi.
No line trifocals (progressives).
Reading glasses for not so close, closer, real close and tiny.
Super magnifier glasses for taking out splinters, metal slivers, tiny things. :shock:
etc.
Sacrificial reading glasses for in the shop, hobby, etc. (costco).

reggiesimpson
Posts: 1608
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: What's the reason you would buy reading glasses at...

Post by reggiesimpson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm

I buy a bunch from Amazon and leave them in various places like cars, kitchen, bedroom, gym bag etc. Cheaper than buying (and losing) multiple prescription glasses. I keep my good ones where i am the most common like in my own car , TV.

Post Reply