Refinishing Exterior Stucco

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
vested1

Refinishing Exterior Stucco

Post by vested1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Looking for advice here. Our home is 50 years old and the exterior stucco on the sides and back of the house had numerous hairline cracks when we moved in 24 years ago. I made matters worse when I tried to patch the cracks, which since I'm no artist, left much to be desired. I painted the house about 15 years ago hoping it would blend in better, with no success.

The house will likely go on the market in the 1st quarter of next year so I was considering hiring a contractor to add a layer of stucco before painting it one last time. The stucco is on three sides of the house and covers 984 square feet (I didn't subtract windows from the footage). Does anyone have experience with this in regards to average cost per square foot, or has anyone done this themselves?

curmudgeon

Re: Refinishing Exterior Stucco

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm no expert (I mostly want to follow this thread to see if I can learn), but I'd be surprised if you could coat a finish stucco layer over the painted surface. If you could, then you wouldn't need to paint again, as the stucco coat itself can be tinted.

I have seen people advertising thicker coatings to go over old stucco (one name I heard was "tex-coat"), But I'm somewhat dubious about the effectiveness and durability.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:46 pm

vested1 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 pm
Looking for advice here. Our home is 50 years old and the exterior stucco on the sides and back of the house had numerous hairline cracks when we moved in 24 years ago. I made matters worse when I tried to patch the cracks, which since I'm no artist, left much to be desired. I painted the house about 15 years ago hoping it would blend in better, with no success.

The house will likely go on the market in the 1st quarter of next year so I was considering hiring a contractor to add a layer of stucco before painting it one last time. The stucco is on three sides of the house and covers 984 square feet (I didn't subtract windows from the footage). Does anyone have experience with this in regards to average cost per square foot, or has anyone done this themselves?
You can't do stucco yourself, unless you're incredibly gifted in terms of construction skills. And it will be expensive. You're probably better off just painting it.

I just went through this process recently. I had to do stucco everywhere. I had paint added to the stucco and it looks great and lasts much longer than a separate coat of paint.

Also, all stucco cracks... No need to fix anything.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm

My father a master craftsman plasterer of 40+ years says you cannot stucco over painted stucco unless you remove the paint first. Once you paint it, you must now always maintain it via additional paint coats. There are bonders and such that claim you can stucco over paint but he says nothing will last.

And yes all stucco cracks, unless the cracks are larger then 1/16" then there is no real issue...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:30 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm
My father a master craftsman plasterer of 40+ years says you cannot stucco over painted stucco unless you remove the paint first. Once you paint it, you must now always maintain it via additional paint coats. There are bonders and such that claim you can stucco over paint but he says nothing will last.

And yes all stucco cracks, unless the cracks are larger then 1/16" then there is no real issue...
Yes, when I redid the stucco, the contractor first sandblasted the old stucco/texcote paint off. It was a huge mess. It was very expensive, but looks great now

Post by 123 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 pm

As stated by another poster don't ever, ever, ever use one of those "texture-coat" or "elastic" coatings over stucco. They are often advertised as never cracking since they "stretch with the house" (or some such nonsense). A neighbor next to my childhood home had one done and while it lasted maybe 10 or 12 years it eventually started to break apart, peel, and looked pretty horrible. It was a real pain for the neighbor to remove it and go back to a reliable paint instead. Sure the outfits often advertise a "lifetime" guarantee but there's a good chance they ain't going to be around when you need them, and there's likely some fine print about pro-rating a lifetime warranty so you'd end up paying for a do over anyway.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Keep it simple.

Have a professional powerwash, prep, and repaint it.

Offer a discount equal to the cost of sandblast and re-stucco, if any potential buyer starts to nit-pick

My $0.02
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:35 pm

By it's nature, stucco is going to hairline crack.

You can have it painted with the appropriate elastometric paint.

Or, it may actually be able to be skim coated assuming the paint is in somewhat reasonable shape. There are bonding agents that would painted on, and then a thin color coat of stucco troweled on.

Of course a competent plasterer would need to field verify.

The cool thing about stucco and brick is they need minimal maintenance. But once paint is added to the equation they are no longer maintenance free.

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:40 pm

I am not a professional stucco person although I did stucco my own garage one time.

My 50 year old stucco only has cracks where the substrate is starting to deteriorate due to water penetration. i have roughly 2000 sq/ft that needs to be redone as the metal lathe has gotten so rusty the stucco has pushed out. My MIL's place a "stucco" inspection identified several places where the substrate (OSB) has completely rotted away causing cracks.

I would say lots of small cracks is not a good sign.

In my area I was quoted $11 a sq/ft to bust it out and redo the stucco.

Let me add a link to Kirk Giordana videos on stucco repair.